PDA

View Full Version : A solution to the deerfly problem

The Hog
07-14-2005, 07:51
Where I live the deerflies are thick in June/July. You can easily have a dozen swirling around your head, and they can make life outdoors pretty miserable. But deerflies have a weakness that can be exploited: they like to land just behind the top of your head. Enter a product called Tred-Not. It's a sticky, non-toxic patch that you put on your hat (I use a bill cap) in that very spot where they land.

A couple of days ago, I came back from a jog with 37 deerflies stuck to the patch. They barely bother me at all while wearing the patch - it's like a vacuum cleaner for flies.

What I was wondering is this: instead of paying good money for the patches (about a buck apiece), why not slap a loop of duct tape or packing tape on the hat? I haven't tried it yet, but will soon and will report back...

Nean
07-14-2005, 07:58
That sounds better than whipping a stick around your head, though that occasional wack does make for a smile:)

saimyoji
07-14-2005, 23:27
Patent a device and make yourself rich man!

The Hog
07-15-2005, 10:49
I just got back from trying cheap clear packing tape as an alternative to a Tred-Not deerfly patch. Result: zero flies stuck to the packing tape, and the flies were a nuisance (killed 15 by hand).

Soon I'll repeat the experiment with duct tape, stay tuned...

Roland
07-15-2005, 10:58
I just got back from trying cheap clear packing tape as an alternative to a Tred-Not deerfly patch. Result: zero flies stuck to the packing tape, and the flies were a nuisance (killed 15 by hand).

Soon I'll repeat the experiment with duct tape, stay tuned...
Did you put the sticky side out?? :rolleyes:

The Hog
07-15-2005, 17:55
Yes, I made a loop with one sticky side adhering to the hat and the other side facing out.

Ridge
07-15-2005, 18:20
Try a piece of fly-paper.

Doctari
07-16-2005, 15:51
On my last trip (N end of GSMNP to Erwin) I was bitten, bothered & harrassed by (what I call) Gnats. If you swat at them, it only knocks them away & they come right back. After 8 days I came up with a solution: wrap duct tape sticky side out around my hand for when I swatted at them, it had just started raining as I came up with this idea, the gnats didnt return for the rest of the trip (rain, cool temps, etc) so I never got to try out my idea. My plan was to carry this till camp that night, then toss duct tape & gnats into the campfire. I know it aint LNT, but I was, , , , , irritated.

I am going to get one of those Tred-nots for my next trip, wonder if it works on other critters besides Deer flies.

Doctari.

Panzer1
07-16-2005, 16:00
I found something I think works for gnats. When you stop for a break, put your hat on the end of your trekking pole and hold the hat just above your head. Apparently the gnats think the hat is your head and they fly around that instead.

Panzer

Nean
07-17-2005, 10:57
I light a piece of mosquito coil when I take a break and the bugs are bad

littledragon
07-17-2005, 11:05
I know this will sound like I am nuts, but Bounce dryer sheets will keep gnats (and other insects, too,- even ticks stay away) from bothering you. I cut them into thirds and sew the ends together to make a head band which I put either around my head or on my cap. I also stuff a couple of sheets onto straps of the pack. Where ticks were a problem, I put them into the top of my low gaiters or boots if not using the gaiters. I was much happier when using them. :sun

Kerosene
07-17-2005, 11:24
I found something I think works for gnats. When you stop for a break, put your hat on the end of your trekking pole and hold the hat just above your head. Apparently the gnats think the hat is your head and they fly around that instead.We need a picture of this!

walkin' wally
07-23-2005, 18:16
I just spent two days clearing trail at Rainbow Lake in Maine. I used a bandanna folded in half with the top half under my hat and the bottom half hanging over the back of my neck sprayed with 100% deet. I also sprayed the outside of my hat. This worked very well for the large biting flies that are common right now in that area. The deet lasted about 5 hours before I needed to spray the bandanna and hat again. The hosreflies would come around to the front where I could deal with them easily. They are pretty slow.
Despite it's bad reputation with some people I think the deet works very well in that situation.I did not have to put it on my skin.

The Hog
07-24-2005, 06:54
I tried duct tape vs Tred-Not fly patch on my bill cap while jogging in the woods yesterday. The Tred-Not won 2-0, and I watched a deerfly who had landed on the duct tape take off again.

So, I guess it's worth it to buy the Tred-Not fly patches if you live in an area that has tons of deerflies. The patches appear to be ineffective against mosquitoes and black flies, since they'll land anywhere. But deerflies have this fatal propensity to land just behind the crest of your head.

attroll
07-24-2005, 12:56
I tried duct tape vs Tred-Not fly patch on my bill cap while jogging in the woods yesterday. The Tred-Not won 2-0, and I watched a deerfly who had landed on the duct tape take off again.

So, I guess it's worth it to buy the Tred-Not fly patches if you live in an area that has tons of deerflies. The patches appear to be ineffective against mosquitoes and black flies, since they'll land anywhere. But deerflies have this fatal propensity to land just behind the crest of your head.
Where can you get these patches? I would like to try one.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-27-2005, 06:54
I've used a strip from the coil of flytrap material made to be hung in barns on my hat a few times (sold in places that sell supplies for barns). It was messy, but it works. Glad to see a neater way has been found.

NJHiker
07-27-2005, 08:17
Here's a tip.....put a Bounce dryer sheet in the sweat band of your hat or a high pocket on your pack (use several in different locations for more results).....the gnats, skeeters and deer flies will stay away from that area. Apparently the scent is enough to make them....less buggy (pun intended)...although I'm not sure why...it works.

Youngblood
07-27-2005, 08:36
Here's a tip.....put a Bounce dryer sheet in the sweat band of your hat or a high pocket on your pack (use several in different locations for more results).....the gnats, skeeters and deer flies will stay away from that area. Apparently the scent is enough to make them....less buggy (pun intended)...although I'm not sure why...it works.I heard this same thing before my 2000 AT thru-hike and tried it... didn't seem to work that well for me. There are a lot of things that might help when the bugs aren't real bad, but when the bugs are really bad they don't seem like they do much of anything.

Youngblood

Halfpint
08-08-2005, 20:07
Bounce sheets do work and I have passed on the above information and uses to many hikers. I guess Little Dragon found it to be useful information last summer. Just completed 6 weeks solo from New York well into New Hampshire and the nats were wide open. The bounce sheets used as Little Dragon stated really does work and as in past gave them out to fellow hikers. I guess it was the rain that really brought them out or maybe it was the sweat of a good days hike with my companion dog. But have to say the hike was the best thus far, peaceful, time to think, no demands, making my own decisions to hike as I please without dictatorship and controling my own goals. What more could anyone expect from a hike on the AT....

danbo
08-08-2005, 21:49
So Tred-Not is what they're called. I used them for running a number of years ago. And they pretty much worked. Only problem is you look a little wierd with a deer fly graveyard on the back of your head. A lot of folks don't know what to make out of it.

An alternative, I learned from fishermen who go out on the salt marshes SW of New Orleans. A 50/50 solution of the green rubbing alcohol. Believe it's called winter green. And Skin So Soft. My wife tried that way and says it works.

I hate deer flies.

dougmeredith
08-09-2005, 10:31
I have a hiking hat that has a flap that covers the back of my neck. It seems to keep the deer flies from bothering me too much.

Doug

Panzer1
12-04-2005, 14:08
I found something I that works for gnats. When you stop for a break, put your hat on the end of your trekking pole and hold the hat just above your head. Apparently the gnats think the hat is your head and they fly around that instead of your head. Attached is a Picture of what it looks like.
Note: If you hold the hat too high above your head the knats realize what your are doing and will start flying around your head again.

Panzer

veteran
12-05-2005, 16:16
http://www.flypatch.com/

sparky2000
12-05-2005, 17:12
The hat on stick is the same as an umbrella.

walkin' wally
12-05-2005, 18:28
The website video says that a person contacted Lyme Disease from a deerfly bite. That seems to be a stretch to me. Does that mean horseflies, mooseflies and mosquitos can transmit Lyme disease too?