PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight Backpacks?

JackJack96
05-24-2013, 08:59
I am looking for multiple ultralight backpacks that can carry varying weights. I am planning a backpacking trip for the Boyscouts, most of whom are over weight. I am trying to help them lighten their loads. I am looking at the ULA CDT, Ohm 2.0, and Catalyst, as I need a small backpack for the more experienced backpackers who can minimize their gear, a larger backpack for others, and a really large backpack for a guy that carries a minimum of 40lbs of gear. Help?

FarmerChef
05-24-2013, 09:16
I would also recommend the Go Lite series. The Jam comes in a couple different sizes and is very affordable. They have larger packs as well. If cost is the main concern, consider these. There are lighter ones out there if cost is not a concern. Just remember that cuben or silnylon packs may not stand up to a beating quite as well as the heavier, more rugged non UL packs. That's ok but it means you have to be a bit more conscious of this while hiking, something us ULers do regularly. Make sure your fellow scouts understand this.

Meriadoc
05-24-2013, 10:06
If one guy carries 40 lbs of gear, then the right move to save weight is cut out a lot of that gear instead of getting a lighter backpack. Help him bring less. He'll thank you for it. What does he bring?

Does 40 lbs of gear include food and water? Even if the total weight includes food and water, you say 40 lbs at "a minimum"; I would not use an UL pack. I use 40 to ~45 as my maximum for my Catalyst. And that's only with the understanding that it's a long resupply and the food weight will drop quickly.

I would consider external frame packs that can change frame size and handle lots of abuse. And if the folks using them tend to be overweight, make sure the hip belt's padding is long enough to cover the hips. For example, my external frame does not fit me all that well because the hip belt doesn't wrap my hips. And I'm not a particularly big guy - my waist size is 32. But it adjusts to different torso lengths and shoulder widths and can handle abuse.

JackJack96
05-24-2013, 10:19
If one guy carries 40 lbs of gear, then the right move to save weight is cut out a lot of that gear instead of getting a lighter backpack. Help him bring less. He'll thank you for it. What does he bring?
I would consider external frame packs that can change frame size and handle lots of abuse. And if the folks using them tend to be overweight, make sure the hip belt's padding is long enough to cover the hips.
That is usually with food, water, and fuel. He brings a lot of water because he needs more than normal. His BPW is 15ish lbs. And I should not have said "over weight", I should have said out-of-shape.

Meriadoc
05-24-2013, 10:55
That is usually with food, water, and fuel. He brings a lot of water because he needs more than normal. His BPW is 15ish lbs.

For that, a Catalyst will do just fine. That's close to how I use mine - base weight of 17 with a lot of water and sometimes lots of books. Again, I would consider 40 to be my nominal maximum, not minimum. Minimum tends to be 30. When I carry a lot of water it sometimes helps me to use the water bottle system on the front of the shoulder straps because it balances weight well. (That system can be installed on many packs.)

I can't speak regarding the CDT and Ohm 2.0 because I have not used them.

Swordpen
05-24-2013, 11:18
I have a couple of backpacks I use:
1. REI Flash 50, without the topcap, it weighs 2# 3oz. On sale at REI outlet at $99. I have actually seen pics on the web of the scouts at Philmont carrying these.

2. ULA Ohm 2: another nice pack, fits the same amount of gear as the Flash 50, but lighter. Weighs about 25 oz.

I like both of these packs. Another one used at Philmont is the Gossamer Gear Gorilla backpack. See youtube "Pack Makeover II - Backpacking Lighter to Develop Character & Leadership"

If you search on youtube, for boy scout backpacking light, or a similar search phrase, lots of ideas there too on gear.

I don't have a Go Lite, but have seen them. The material feels similar to the ULA Ohm 2.

HTH

Swordpen
05-24-2013, 11:24
Here is a thread on scouting & backpacks on a backpacking forum, regarding what you are asking. Its from last spring:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=59012&skip_to_post=506735