PDA

View Full Version : Looking to replace a ULA Circuit

English Stu
05-24-2013, 10:06
I think at my weights the ULA is a bit of overkill. Is there anything similar but lighter. I would like a few ideas to kick around.

I have a base weight of about 12lb which can increase with consumables to near 20lb.I am very pleased with the Circuit which I bought mainly to carry a bear barrel on the JMT, instead of my Go lite Breeze to which I fitted a hip belt.

I like and use the hip belt pockets so would want them and I prefer the back stays and foam built in. I have looked at the Ohm but not sure it is worth the hassle/cost to change to that, although I am sure my gear would fit in it.

CenAZwalker
05-24-2013, 11:20
Have you checked out the Gossamer Gear Gorilla (on sale right now!)? I've been using one for about 7 months for trips when I have to carry large amounts of water. The OHM looks like a great pack though, I've been wanting to try one out for a while but can't justify since the Gorilla fills my "framed" pack needs.

bigcranky
05-24-2013, 11:35
I liked my original Ohm, and it would be fine for your weight total. I'm not sure whether the new Ohm 2.0 is worth the weight difference, though I expect the hip belt would be more comfortable than the original.

Maybe a CDT?

swjohnsey
05-24-2013, 22:11
Something to consider, the hip belt from your Circuit works with the Ohm 2.0. You can buy just the pack to save a bit of money.

DeerPath
05-25-2013, 13:12
I think at my weights the ULA is a bit of overkill. Is there anything similar but lighter. I would like a few ideas to kick around.

I have a base weight of about 12lb which can increase with consumables to near 20lb.I am very pleased with the Circuit which I bought mainly to carry a bear barrel on the JMT, instead of my Go lite Breeze to which I fitted a hip belt.

I like and use the hip belt pockets so would want them and I prefer the back stays and foam built in. I have looked at the Ohm but not sure it is worth the hassle/cost to change to that, although I am sure my gear would fit in it.

ZPACKS 3.5 oz - 15.5 oz. http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks.shtml

dornstar
05-25-2013, 13:29
Something to consider, the hip belt from your Circuit works with the Ohm 2.0. You can buy just the pack to save a bit of money.
This.

I've never been more happy with a pack than both my Circuit and Ohm 2.0. They're the gold standard IMO.

MuddyWaters
05-27-2013, 09:32
I have an Ohm 1.0, and a circuit.
The Ohm is 22oz, the circuit is 34 oz
The Ohm is my pack for primarily under 20 lbs, although Ive been up to 28 or so in it.
The Circuit is my all around go to pack, especially for more than 4-5 days food, or with sleeping bag instead of quilt.

If there was a lighter pack in the size range that performed like the circuit does, I would have it.
If you only have one pack, you cannot beat it. It will do it all.

If your base weight is 12 lbs, you dont need a lighter pack.
12 + 2L water and 5days food = 25lbs.

Buying an Ohm to save a couple oz weight is questionable.

Get your base weight down to 7-8 lbs, then go looking for a lighter pack.

Firefighter503
05-30-2013, 17:31
I agree with those telling you that the Circuit is good to go for your weight range. The Ohm 2.0 would also work, but if you carry a bear canister often, the Circuit is more appropriate and its not worth the money spent on a new pack.

stranger
05-31-2013, 10:04
A 12lb base weight isn't the lightest load around, fairly typical I would think in today's world for a experienced long distance hiker. Keep in mind that the Circuit has a very solid suspension, which carries most of the weight on your hips, so if you go lighter and lose that suspension, sure you might save 10 ounces, but depending on what you end up using...you could easily be doing more work if you are carrying that weight on your shoulders. When I say suspension I'm not talking about the hipbelt, but the frame in the pack keeping it from collapsing on your back.

18lbs on your hips is much easier to carry than 16lbs on your shoulders. It's shocking how few hikers understand this concept.

Weight isn't everything, just my two cents.

NCMedic
06-21-2013, 10:25
I agree with the Circuit and Olm being the gold standard. I have a circuti and a HMG Cuben Fiber pack and like them both, however, I am starting a SOBO thru hike in a couple of weeks and guess which pack is coming out with me. Yup the circuit. It is a bit heavier, but it rides better and is more comfortable for me. My base weight is under 10 lbs with it.