PDA

View Full Version : PowerTrekk - power from a tablespoon of water

treesloth
05-24-2013, 12:02
Interesting article. This device has been in development for a while, and should be shipping by the end of the month. I think it will take some years to get this technology perfected, but it's sure a step in the right direction from what it looks like.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/review/this-is-not-your-fathers-charger-powertrekk-energizes-your-iphone-with-hydr

Mobius
05-24-2013, 16:05
The big downer for me was "A three-pack of pucks is expected to sell for US$9-10". If they can get it so I just add water and get electricity without putting in a $3 one-time-use puck all the time, then awesome. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see folks working on new technology.

da fungo
05-24-2013, 16:16
I tried to log onto PowerTrekk's website a couple of times earlier today, and can't connect. Have they already shut down?

Re: the device itself: It's $230 or so for the basic item, plus those disposable cartridges. Kinda steep.

T.S.Kobzol
05-24-2013, 16:19
I can probably get battery charging station, charge it at home, take it with me with a solar cell. Take a watebottle to drink from during my hike and still come ahead costwise. Plus I won't run out of pucks in the middle of nowhere.

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2

BostonBlue
05-24-2013, 16:20
They are selling them now at REI. With 20% off now, might be a good time for anyone who is interested. I think I'll still to my Biolite.

Crusinsusan
05-25-2013, 08:54
Very cook, but very pricey. Weights in at 33 grams, another plus. But one-time use pucks? Maybe for a weekender.

WingedMonkey
05-25-2013, 11:05
What I said when this was brought up last year (I had to use Google Search to find it).

A: It retails for $230
B: It weighs 8.6 oz
C: Each charge takes a one time use "powerpuck", which you would also have to carry at 1.2 oz each. And dispose of.
D: The "powerpucks" cost $4 each.

It's a cute toy, but not practical for a thru hike.

T.S.Kobzol
05-25-2013, 11:48
Maybe if you had to spend whole winter in a remote alaskan log cabin. You could fly in a palette of pucks...and continue updating your facebook.

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2