PDA

View Full Version : 1 Person Tent Recommendations

tucker0104
05-24-2013, 22:19
I know I am going to get a lot of answers on this and that is what I am hoping for. I want to see what all is out there and see what the majorities favorites are. Currently, I have a 1 person Kelty tent that isn't lightweight and I have a MSR Hubba Hubba. The Hubba Hubba is lightweight for a 2 person tent but looking to go lighter. THanks in advance for all the recommendations. No hammock, bivy, or other recommendations. I am sticking with 1 person tents.

Mr. Bumpy
05-24-2013, 22:34
BA Copper Spur 3 is a great one person tent.

R1ma
05-24-2013, 22:47
Hammock :p

But, if you like the Hubba Hubba, what about the Hubba? 2lb 13 oz min (according to MSR) though.
REI Quarter Dome weighs 1 oz more, Big Agnes a couple oz less.
Tarptent Rainbow is always recommended. 34 oz (2lb 2 oz)

4Bears
05-24-2013, 22:56
Front entry or side?? Is cost a factor? Do you hike with poles? These are factors in the equation in order to help narrow down an answer.

Sarcasm the elf
05-24-2013, 22:57
Wow, hammock got mentioned in the second reply?! I think that's a record :banana

I just got a Tarptent Double rainbow, lots of extra room and only 6oz more than the rainbow. As a huge plus (in my opinion) it is 100% made in the USA!

http://tarptent.com/allproducts.html

Dr. Professor
05-24-2013, 23:15
Is price a factor?

Is flexibility a factor?

Would you be interested in something tent-like (Echo I)?

Are tarp tents a consideration?

Are you looking to go cuben?

For the AT, hammocks are best.

MuddyWaters
05-25-2013, 00:22
Hexamid Solo-plus
Skyscape X

tucker0104
05-25-2013, 00:27
Front entry or side?? Is cost a factor? Do you hike with poles? These are factors in the equation in order to help narrow down an answer.
Entry doesn't matter to me. Cost is always a factor, but I am sure I can find one used somewhere so not that much. I do hike with two telescpoing poles.

tucker0104
05-25-2013, 00:29
Is price a factor? Is flexibility a factor? Would you be interested in something tent-like (Echo I)? Are tarp tents a consideration? Are you looking to go cuben? For the AT, hammocks are best.

Price isn't a huge factor. I am pretty flexible. What is the Echo I? What is the definition of a tarp tent? What is a cuben?

tucker0104
05-25-2013, 00:31
I do prefer the idea of a free standing tent.

BuckeyeBill
05-25-2013, 00:38
I use the Tarptent Contrail. Whith teo tre4kking pole you can set it up with an unobstructed front entry.

moytoy
05-25-2013, 07:25
http://s7ondemand1.scene7.com/is/image/MoosejawMB/10118777_vOpen?$thumb50$ http://s7ondemand1.scene7.com/is/image/MoosejawMB/10118777_zm?$thumb50$ I'm not going to go annalist on you here. There are to many good options and to many personal consideration to try. But I have a Nemo Obi 1 and it works for me.

Praha4
05-25-2013, 09:59
Tarptent Notch is a great solo shelter, check it out. I've used the Tarptent Contrail and Moment, and like the Notch the best. I've also used the BA Fly Creek UL-1 and Montbell Crescent-1, both are okay solo tents, but the Notch is a double wall solo shelter that weighs only 1.5 lb.

garlic08
05-25-2013, 14:28
Lots of good options at tarptent.com.

bigcranky
05-25-2013, 14:44
I like my Moment, but if I were buying something today it would be a Notch.

Meriadoc
05-25-2013, 15:13
Lightheart Solo or So-long. Beautiful very light weight tents. And the sturdiest three season tent I've seen.

Mrs Baggins
05-25-2013, 16:50
We wouldn't give up our Hubbas for the world! :) So fast and easy to set up and take down, free standing, no inside condensation, has never leaked. We each have one 'cause hubby snores and I can tent far enough away from that :) He's 6'1" and has plenty of room to sit up and stretch out. I'm 4'10" and can even keep my pack at my feet in mine. Had them for 6 years now.

Drybones
05-25-2013, 17:06
Tarptent Notch is a great solo shelter, check it out. I've used the Tarptent Contrail and Moment, and like the Notch the best. I've also used the BA Fly Creek UL-1 and Montbell Crescent-1, both are okay solo tents, but the Notch is a double wall solo shelter that weighs only 1.5 lb.

+1 for the Notch.

kayak karl
05-25-2013, 17:10
Lightheart Solo or So-long. Beautiful very light weight tents. And the sturdiest three season tent I've seen......yes.....

q-tip
05-25-2013, 17:23
+1 Contrail

singing wind
05-25-2013, 17:23
Zpacks hexamid twin (uses 2 poles and is a palace for 1 person with pack - this tent is the bomb/19 oz with 8 stakes) or hexamid solo plus (uses 1 pole and would be a squeeze with a pack). Can be found used in good condition with some luck.

Venchka
05-25-2013, 17:54
Apparently you want a summer tent? All of the above are summer tents.
I would heed Mrs. Baggins. You already have a perfectly good tent. Use the money that you just saved to spend time using your Hubba Hubba.

Wayne

Old Hiker
05-25-2013, 18:29
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86824-LightHeart-Gear-SoLong-6-First-Impressions

I've since updated to a two door, dark green, tan floor model. It has an awning on one side and a standard (small) vestibule on the other. I think it's their standard model. Bit pricey, but I caught a sale.

I'm thinking about what a FL Trail hiker did: get rid of the reflective cords and go REALLY stealthy. I'm just worried I'd lose my tent some dark and stormy night. :eek:

Del Q
05-25-2013, 18:55
An old saying.

The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

Cuben fiber is light, drys fast.

Lightheart So-Long 6 in Cuben Fiber is a "Cadillac" Tent, two openings, like 22 ounces.

Better, lighter gear will keep coming.

I have worked hard to lose weight, get in shape and get my pack to about 30lbs all in.

Take $$ to purchase the light gear.

Mrs Baggins
05-25-2013, 19:23
Apparently you want a summer tent? All of the above are summer tents.
I would heed Mrs. Baggins. You already have a perfectly good tent. Use the money that you just saved to spend time using your Hubba Hubba.

Wayne

Just so we're clear here - - hubby and I each have a Hubba (one person tent), not the Hubba Hubba 2 person tent. :)

tucker0104
05-25-2013, 23:40
I love the idea of my tent only being a pound and some ouces. Has anyone ever run in to problems of the stakes not wanting to stay in the ground or just tired of not having a free standing tent?

fins1838
05-26-2013, 01:54
Big Agnes scout. If you can find 1. New tent. Bought last one at a outfitter in Damascus Monday. Super light. Withstood thunderstorms & 65mph winds. No water inside fro storm or condensation.

garlic08
05-26-2013, 08:37
I love the idea of my tent only being a pound and some ouces. Has anyone ever run in to problems of the stakes not wanting to stay in the ground or just tired of not having a free standing tent?

If you pitch any tent in wind, you need to stake it. My Tarptent Contrail only needs four stakes, and I've never had a problem getting them to hold. There are some very nice, strong titanium stakes out there. I've literally driven mine into sandstone cracks and broken sub-surface rocks with them.

One problem is on the tent platforms at a few sites in New England on the AT. There you need to get creative with engineered anchors, if you choose to stay there. I didn't, so problem solved.

I've camped twice with people who use the Hubba, and both times I'm set up and starting dinner while they're still getting the poles together. Last time, one guy nearly put his eye out with the poles, and he'd made an AT thru hike with the tent. Yet everyone seems to love it. I'll stick with my tarptent, thank you.

speedbump
05-26-2013, 09:32
the Hubba is great. Not the lightest, but completely free standing, lots of room, and dry. I have used it in torrential rains, and still no leaks.

I know I am going to get a lot of answers on this and that is what I am hoping for. I want to see what all is out there and see what the majorities favorites are. Currently, I have a 1 person Kelty tent that isn't lightweight and I have a MSR Hubba Hubba. The Hubba Hubba is lightweight for a 2 person tent but looking to go lighter. THanks in advance for all the recommendations. No hammock, bivy, or other recommendations. I am sticking with 1 person tents.

elray
05-26-2013, 10:05
We own all three models of the MSR Hubba and also wouldn't trade them for the world. We backpack the one and two person models and use the Mutha Hubba for our supported bike rides. Consequently we've spent many many nights sleeping comfortably in our MSR's without a single complaint.

mikec
05-26-2013, 11:07
BA Copper Spur 3 is a great one person tent.Don't you mean BA Copper Spur UL1? If I ever get $350 extra dollars, that's the one I'm getting.

MuddyWaters
05-26-2013, 12:25

Usually rocks on top of stakes solve any issues.
When camping in areas that dont have rocks, ie flat lowland forest, sometimes you have to dig down thru forest duff to reach the real dirt that will hold the stake. Not an issue. Big deadfall limbs can be put on top too.

Ive pitched plenty of times with thin ti stakes in just the forest duff too, my hexamid hasnt ever pulled a line out. Obvioslly in more sever conditions, you take more precautions. They have stakes styles that are better in sand, snow, etc as well.

Mayer
05-26-2013, 13:08
I'm using the Eureka Apex Solo. It's freestanding, roomy for one person, 4 pounds 3 oz., and great for a hiker on a budget. There's a deal at campmor.com for 79 bucks free shipping. I slept out in a 2 day thunderstorm last week and was totally dry.

Venchka
05-26-2013, 14:07
Just so we're clear here - - hubby and I each have a Hubba (one person tent), not the Hubba Hubba 2 person tent. :)

Thanks for the clarification. I stand by my earlier post. "Waste not, want not." Make do with whay you have. Use your money to go places.

Wayne

Venchka
05-26-2013, 14:31
A 1 person free standing Hubba clone for less money from LL Bean. If you hate it, Mr. Bean will refund your money toward a Hubba.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/72836?feat=506832-GN3&page=microlight-fs-1-person-tent&attrValue_0=Pewter&productId=1217291

Wayne

Mr. Bumpy
05-26-2013, 17:29
Don't you mean BA Copper Spur UL1? If I ever get $350 extra dollars, that's the one I'm getting.

No, that was a joke, kind of. I do cary this the CS3 for my solo or two person wilderness hikes. The tent is less than 4 pounds and I'd rather have the weight penalty then to be pinned down in a one person tent. I have done long section hikes (3+ weeks) on the AT, and even then I take a Fly Creek 2.

Drybones
05-26-2013, 17:38

I changed the std 6" staked to 8" stakes to keep them in the ground...never needed or saw the need for a free standing tent.

tucker0104
05-26-2013, 18:22
I think I have decided on the tarptent notch. Anyone have one that they want to sell for cheap?

Del Q
05-26-2013, 19:57
Agree on the rocks and/or limbs on all stakes.

Most times there is plenty of extra time to do this camping thing more right.

Fabric sags in the rain...............regardless, like to secure all stakes just because I can.

Makes me a better camper.

LNT in the am............also makes me a better camper

Venchka
05-26-2013, 21:08
There is a Notch for sale. Right here. Right now.

Wayne

Old Hiker
05-26-2013, 21:11
There is a Notch for sale. Right here. Right now.

Wayne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aTYp8-O96M Right now????

Good luck on your purchase whatever it may be. See you on the Trail !

Venchka
05-26-2013, 21:41
Right here.
Right now.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?95468-FS-TarpTent-Notch

Just call me Marion, The Librarian.

Wayne