PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness First Aid Training Question

fcoulter
05-25-2013, 07:30
OK, I've been looking to up my skills for the outdoors. One way that I've been looking at upping my skills is in First Aid. So I've been poking around the net, and found two sources that look like they know what they're doing: NOLS (http://www.nols.edu/) and SOLO (http://www.soloschools.com/). For me, one advantage to SOLO is that they have classes in the Carolinas, which is a days drive from my house. Cheaper than flying out west.

Now, I know that NOLS teaches far more subjects than SOLO. But looking just at their first aid -- first aid, advanced first aid, first responder, and EMT -- how do the two schools compare?

Are there other reputable sources of instruction? (The local Red Cross chapter doesn't appear to teach Wilderness and Remote First Aid.)

Nutbrown
05-25-2013, 07:40
I've considered the one in the Carolinas too... since I live here. Just a word to the wise, once you take an intense course like that, you see the need to carry an extra 3 pounds or equipment for the 'just in case' scenario.

As for the difference, I'm not sure. Probably differ in types of terrain they focus on. I'd bet it would be like the difference in taking cpr through the Red Cross or AHA. The card you get is different, but you have the same knowledge.

Nutbrown
05-25-2013, 07:43
http://www.mountainproject.com/v/nols-vs-solo-for-wfr-course/107885518#a_107886130

HeartFire
05-25-2013, 08:20
There is a big difference between some of these classes. The Red Cross Wilderness and Remote First Aid is not a "First Responder" course - it's aimed at the hiker - how to handle emergencies that might occur to you or others with you while out away from 911. You learn to 'think outside the box' and use what you have on hand to deal with emergencies, how to prioritize how to handle/manage the situation, and how to treat life threatening situations. This is a great class for the hiker. The other longer/ first responder type of class is for someone who is highly trained in emergency response - like EMT's, paramedics, who's job it is to go out and rescue people, this is for someone who is fully equipped with emergency paraphernalia, and generally has back up 911 type of service with them. As a lone hiker, or one going out with a few friends, all you need is the Red Cross class (I used to teach this). As a former EMT, Emergency room nurse practitioner, and a Wilderness First aid instructor, I have absolutely no need to carry a 3 lb first aid kit. All I carry is 1 or 2 gauze cravats (trianglular bandages) - but bandanas could work for some of this. I have duct tape - multi use item.a couple of thin maxi pads individually wrapped in plastic - great for bleeding wounds) benadryl - chewable ones and capsules - I'm very allergic to bee stings, the chewable gets into your system faster, and my epi pens - now those are heavy! On day hikes I carry an emergency bivy sack, and my neo air. - you MUST have protection from the ground, even in the summer time, the ground can suck the heat out of your body, and if injured, you need the protection.

HeartFire
05-25-2013, 08:23
one more thing - the MOST important item in any first aid kit is the KNOWLEDGE in the brain on top of your shoulders on what to do. You do not want to have to reference a first aid guide when you are in the middle of a situation.

singing wind
05-25-2013, 16:10
I took the SOLO WFA course in 2010, and the WEMT course in 1987. Both were excellent. We had very knowledgeable, experienced instructors and the course was geared to potential hiking emergencies. They also taught us how to use the gear we had to improvise treatment for various situations. Glad I did it. Btw I have no knowledge or experience with the NOLS course.

Mountain Mike
05-25-2013, 16:46
I took a SOLO WFA class & glad I did. most of the course is based on improvising the equipment you have to work in the wilderness. I found the instructors to be experienced & knowledgeable. It was a good mix of classroom & outside simulations/practice. As far as the course itself vs NOLS I believe they are standardized in what they have to teach to obtain certification.

lumberjaime
05-25-2013, 16:50
Good advice so far. Here's my two cents:

If you have the time to dedicate, take WFR. While it may be more geared towards the "first responder" or even "professional rescuer," all of that info is still, I think, valuable to the individual hiker. Knowing a little about how a rescue situation is handled from the emergency response end can help you make quick treatment decisions, as well as whether to attempt an evacuation or sit tight for rescue. My WFR course had an incredible amount of highly realistic scenarios, to the point where I wasn't sure if I was treating a fake or real injury. Seriously. That kind of training is invaluable for when there is a *real* emergency. Plus, to re-certify, all you have to do is take a WFA course, which is just 1 weekend.

I got my WFR a few years ago, and since then I have actually carried progressively smaller first aid kits. As others have mentioned, much of the WFR training is about thinking on your feet and improvising. In the WFA course that I had taken a few years earlier, we did very little of this.

As for school/location, both my WFA and WFR were NOLS curriculum. I have friends who have taken SOLO's WFR, and said incredible things about it. I think either way, you can't really go wrong, though NOLS has a tendency to teach more to the variety of programs they offer. If you are close to the Carolinas and prefer to stay local, Landmark Learning in Cullowee, NC teaches NOLS first aid curricula. This is where I took my WFR, and it far exceeded my expectations for both classroom and hands-on learning.

jackase
05-26-2013, 05:10
This is a great class for the hiker. The other longer/ first responder type of class is for someone who is highly trained in emergency response - like EMT's, paramedics, who's job it is to go out and rescue people, this is for someone who is fully equipped with emergency paraphernalia, and generally has back up 911 type of service with them.

MuddyWaters
05-26-2013, 22:45
I would be surprised if the Red Cross did not sponsor WFA classes near you.

Heres the thing, they probably do However, they likely do it ONCE per year, in the early spring, and the primary focus is for Boy Scout leaders that are taking crews on high adventure activites. Its required by BSA for that, and the local scouting organization will organize it to insure that the area leaders have access to the training. There is no demand for it otherwise usually. Often the people teaching it are doctors that are involved in scouting as well.

Contact your local BSA council and inquire. I dont see any reason why a non-BSA person could not take the class if there was room.

You can download the Red cross text online for free and read it. Not much different from having people read it to you in class. The actual classes require some hands on scenario stuff which is fun, and a test.

hikestofish
05-27-2013, 18:49
Being in the Army and constantly training for war (Light Infantry) has taught me some really good things about first aid. Like others have said, it's more about being able to use whatever is on hand to treat the injury and not necessarily about having a huge first aid kit. My last deployment we often went out into sector for 24 hour missions without a medic. We only had one medic and our platoon was under-manned so we had to split it and the medic only went out every other day. No big deal, really. We all know how to splint broken bones, apply tourniquets (both improvised and ready made), how to treat burns, treat abdominal wounds, treat a tension-pneumothorax, care for a spinal/ brain injury, call a medevac/ casevac, etc. Every trooper down to the lowest private knows how to perform these very basic tasks under stress because we train for it. It is more important to be able to make something out of nothing than it is to try and carry something to fix everything...cause you can't carry that much weight. We had 51,000# trucks and our medic was still improvising splints.

Which brings me to my second point. You can go and take a class but if you don't practice the skills you have learned, then you will forget how to apply them if you ever have to. Most people don't practice using these skills because they are not needed in their day-to-day lives.

shelb
05-27-2013, 22:04
I would be surprised if the Red Cross did not sponsor WFA classes near you.

.... primary focus is for Boy Scout leaders that are taking crews on high adventure activites. Its required by BSA for that,....Contact your local BSA council and inquire. ....

Agreed! Our BSA Council offers classes every year sometime between April and June.