PDA

View Full Version : An Old Geezer embarks on a Quest: Lighten UP!

Venchka
05-25-2013, 15:56
Starting at the bottom. I bought a pair of Keen Newport H2 (http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/shoes/men/waterfront/newport%20h2#)sandles today. They fit like they were molded on my feet.
I fully intend to give these shoes a fair trial for hiking. With a backpack. With, or without, a trail.
No need to worry about getting them wet. No need to change shoes/boots for stream crossings. No need to carry camp shoes. :cool: Most liberating.
Weight: 1 pound 12 ounces. Fully 2 pounds lighter than my Asolo 520 boots.
The best part: SWMBO encouraged me to buy them. Who knew that a Spouse Unit would insist on buying backpacking gear? ;)
Stay tuned. I wonder what I can convince her to let my buy next?

Lighten Up! Wayne

Water Rat
05-25-2013, 16:48
As someone who pretty much lives in her Keen Newport H2 sandals, I have to say I love these sandals for hiking! I have put hundreds of miles (on, and off, the trail) on my Keens. I also love them for kayaking, walking, biking, and they do a pretty good job in the snow. I held off on buying them because they were pretty pricey. However, they are pretty amazing. I put them through a LOT of abuse (thank goodness for the toe guards!) and they take quite the beating.

Congratulations!

Venchka
05-25-2013, 18:00
Thanks! I reckon I'm not crazy after all. We shall see how they hold up in the mountains of NC and in the desert of TX.
Where will this Lighten Up! Quest take me next?

Wayne

atmilkman
05-25-2013, 18:06
Are you gonna wear socks or go barefoot?

bigcranky
05-25-2013, 19:45
I would love to hike in Keens, but for me the rubber rand over the toes is too small. YMMV. Sandals are great for hiking for the reasons mentioned.

atmilkman
05-25-2013, 20:10
I would love to hike in Keens, but for me the rubber rand over the toes is too small. YMMV. Sandals are great for hiking for the reasons mentioned.

Do you wear socks when you hike in sandals or do you go barefoot? If you do wear socks what ones do you use? Or is wearing socks defeating the whole purpose hiking in sandals?

Water Rat
05-25-2013, 21:26
Do you wear socks when you hike in sandals or do you go barefoot? If you do wear socks what ones do you use? Or is wearing socks defeating the whole purpose hiking in sandals?

My personal answer is that I go barefoot when I wear my Keens. No socks involved for hiking. In camp, if the weather is cooler, or the black flies and mosquitoes are trying to make a meal out of me, I will put socks on. Smartwool, for those instances.

Venchka
05-25-2013, 21:45
Are you gonna wear socks or go barefoot?

Funny you should ask. I tried them on with socks, thinking that I would wear socks for hiking. My wife said that socks with sandles was ugly.

Wayne

Venchka
05-25-2013, 21:49
I also picked up the lightest SmartWool socks on the rack. If I wear the Keens in Big Bend during the winter (the only time to go in my opinion), I think socks will be beneficial. This is all hypothetical at the moment.

Wayne

Dogwood
05-25-2013, 22:04
Starting at the bottom. I bought a pair of Keen Newport H2 (http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/shoes/men/waterfront/newport%20h2#)sandles today. They fit like they were molded on my feet.
I fully intend to give these shoes a fair trial for hiking. With a backpack. With, or without, a trail.
No need to worry about getting them wet. No need to change shoes/boots for stream crossings. No need to carry camp shoes. :cool: Most liberating.
Weight: 1 pound 12 ounces. Fully 2 pounds lighter than my Asolo 520 boots.
The best part: SWMBO encouraged me to buy them. Who knew that a Spouse Unit would insist on buying backpacking gear? ;)
Stay tuned. I wonder what I can convince her to let my buy next?

Lighten Up! Wayne

Well, that's three crazies. I just got back from the Atlanta REI wearing my new pr of Keen H2 I bought for $69.99 on sale this weekend. I'm wearing them now. They even had several colors in my size 14 canoes. Love Keen shoes. Regular cost $99.99.

So many hikers get overly concerned with things like shoe wt, WP or not, cost, high top, mid cut, low cut, trail runners or boots etc etc etc but ALL that doesn't matter UNLESS you get JOB # 1 right - SHOES THAT FIT and support you in your activities. That's my primary goal with shoes. THEN other considerations come down the list from there. KEEN SHOES FIT MY FEET!

Keen sandals are popular for good reason too. THEY WORK for a great many people. So much so that in the last 5-6 yrs or so I've been noticing several sandal manufacturer's models that are basically Keen knock offs. KEEN ROCKS.

Dogwood
05-25-2013, 22:11
During summer when it's raining it is indeed liberating hiking in sandals. When I'm on a summer hike with lots of fords, doing modest MPD, going UL, I love hiking in Keen sandals. Sometimes, like when it's a bit chiily I'll throw on some ankle socks or even a pr of thin Neoprene socks and work that combination. Occasionally, even during early fall I'll roll with Keen sandals. I've built up to it that it now works for this hiker quite well.

Feral Bill
05-25-2013, 22:20
In the northwest, sandals with socks are a cliche. I like them that way, but go either way, depending on mood, activity, and weather.