PDA

View Full Version : Zip Lock Problems!

Bankrobber
07-14-2005, 14:48
So after thousands of miles, I am ready to give up on zip lock bags. They always seem to break, leaving my food bag full of bits and pieces of gorp, carrots, etc...
I am going to switch to none zip lock sandwich bags. Does anyone have any advice on how to make them extra secure, or on how to keep zip locks dependable?

Frosty
07-14-2005, 15:18
So after thousands of miles, I am ready to give up on zip lock bags. They always seem to break, leaving my food bag full of bits and pieces of gorp, carrots, etc...
I am going to switch to none zip lock sandwich bags. Does anyone have any advice on how to make them extra secure, or on how to keep zip locks dependable?Never had a Ziploc break, though a couple over-stuffed ones came unzipped on me.

Ziploc rules:
1. Use only freezer bags. The extra weight is negligible, and they are many times stronger than storage bags. Sandwich bags aren't good for much except ibuprofen.
2. Don't overstuff Ziplocs
3. Change them out frequently. They get weaker with re-use.
4. Double bag with a stuff sack. Put all your food Ziplocs into your silnylon food bag/bear bag. It'll be worth the piece of mind when you hear something the size of a cave bear snuffling just outside your tent and you remember all that food that rolled around loose in your pack, the same pack that you are using for a pillow at that moment.

Footslogger
07-14-2005, 15:42
...add to the above list:

Squeeze all air out of the bag before sealing it and cramming it in your food bag

'Slogger

The Solemates
07-14-2005, 16:35
and do this all while standing on your head.

...and then it may just work :)

Footslogger
07-14-2005, 16:56
and do this all while standing on your head.
...and then it may just work :)===============================
You forgot about the one hand tied your back part ...

'Slogger

SGT Rock
07-14-2005, 17:10
I am going to switch to none zip lock sandwich bags. Does anyone have any advice on how to make them extra secure, or on how to keep zip locks dependable?
Try bread bags with wire ties. I use these on some applications where the stuff can get in the track of the zip-lock.

But I love zip-locks. They work great as long as you follow what the others have said. I've had some zip-locks last multiple trips.

max patch
07-14-2005, 18:08
I use the "original" zip locks with with no problems.

The "improved" zip locks with the external "sliders" and "zippers" will fail and should be avoided.

Tang, Gatorade, etc may collect and clog the channels. I doublebag these items to avoid a "Tang Blowout".

Kerosene
07-14-2005, 18:10
If you're having problems with the zipper not being fully closed, then consider the freezer bags with the zip thing-a-ma-jig that more or less makes sure that it's closed.

If the bag itself is breaking, then don't overstuff, squeeze out all the air, and use the slightly thicker freezer bags. Given enough wear, you may eventually want to replace a bag.

icemanat95
07-14-2005, 19:58
...add to the above list:

Squeeze all air out of the bag before sealing it and cramming it in your food bag

'Slogger

That's what I was going to say. 1 sure way to cause a ziplock to fail is to leave air in it. The air compressed and blows the seal. I suck the air out of most stuff, never had a problem in thousands of miles of hiking.

Auntie Mame
08-29-2005, 23:36
This is one situation in which it pays to buy the brand name bags. They seem to hold up better under pressure, as it were. Fed family of four on 100 mi. section AT with no breakage. Had a LOT of ziplocks!

smokymtnsteve
08-30-2005, 00:10
I use plain food storage bags...no zipper at all,,and then tie the top shut with a overhand knot.

Seeker
08-30-2005, 13:29
echo to what others have said about squeezing out air, using name brand bags, etc... the ones with zippers or discount brand bags don't work very well, or only once. freezer bags definately work better.

the bags your newspaper comes in, provided they don't have little holes in them from sliding across the driveway, are long, narrow, and very lightweight, and are great for all sorts of stuff... the longer length makes them easier to fold over and tie off.

haven't tried them yet, but the rubber bands like people use on their braces are very durable. latex, actually, i think... but i've heard or read somewhere that they work very well for tying off plastic bags.

atraildreamer
06-10-2006, 01:43
I found some neat litle bags at the local Walgreen's pharmacy. :clap They are 3" x 2" with a zip loc seal at the top that adds another 1/2" to the height of the bag. They are labeled, on the bag, as an "Ezy Dose Pill Pouch." They are "moisture proof", and have a "white writing block for labeling and writing instructions." They look like they could hold 2-3 tablespoons of whatever, not to mention their original purpose of holding medication. 50 for $2.99.

Uses: Condiments, meds, small sewing kit, $$$, matches, whatever... :-? use your imagination.

Ridge
06-10-2006, 05:05
I found some neat litle bags at the local Walgreen's pharmacy. :clap They are 3" x 2" with a zip loc seal at the top that adds another 1/2" to the height of the bag. They are labeled, on the bag, as an "Ezy Dose Pill Pouch." They are "moisture proof", and have a "white writing block for labeling and writing instructions." They look like they could hold 2-3 tablespoons of whatever, not to mention their original purpose of holding medication. 50 for $2.99.

Uses: Condiments, meds, small sewing kit, $$$, matches, whatever... :-? use your imagination.

How in the world did you know this is exactly what I've been looking for. I was looking at this thread just to see comments concerning the larger bags. In the AM I'll be heading to Walgreen's. Thanx a million.

atraildreamer
06-10-2006, 05:37
How in the world did you know this is exactly what I've been looking for.

Trail Magic? :-?

grrickar
06-10-2006, 09:26
I use the gallon size ziplocs to keep clothes dry, and even stuff my sleeping bag (down) in one. My summer bag will fit - winter bag will not. I put all my food in one, and when empty it is a trash bag. I use another for a sink to take a sponge bath each night. Never had one blow out, but I don't overfill them, and for drink mixes I used the Crystal Light and Tang in the little plastic tubs. Drink mixes can be messy if you use ziplocks to carry those.

weary
06-10-2006, 10:06

Ziplock makes -- or used to -- a snack size bag, which sounds like the same thing. I bought a packsge once. I haven't seen them in the stores since -- but neither have I been looking very hard. The remains of the original purchase are still around someplace

Just Jeff
06-10-2006, 10:09
We buy those snack bags for the kids' lunches - they're still around. I've only used them for hiking a few times, though.

Rain Man
06-10-2006, 10:15
I know you asked about making zip-locks better, but if you want some really strong bags, try out the oven or turkey roaster bags. They are made for going in your oven for baking things (like turkeys and roasts).

They don't zip closed, but are big enough to tie a knot in or fold down or roll over for a water-proof seal.

I use one inside my sleeping bag stuff sack. Keeps the sleeping bag nice an dry under all conditions.

Rain:sunMan

Spock
06-10-2006, 10:24
Baby Zlocs:
Another source is The Container Store. They have 2x3, 3x5 and on up to 24x36.

Wonder
06-10-2006, 11:10
I use the "original" zip locks with with no problems.

The "improved" zip locks with the external "sliders" and "zippers" will fail and should be avoided.

Tang, Gatorade, etc may collect and clog the channels. I doublebag these items to avoid a "Tang Blowout".

Been there! The "Tang Bolw-out" is a sure fire way to a bad day! Even worse if it's raining!

BigToe
06-10-2006, 16:16

Thanks for this, atraildreamer! I picked up the pack of 50 this morning (on sale for $2.49!). They look perfect for stocking the first aid kit, matches, etc. Whiteblaze rules!

Erro
06-10-2006, 23:00
Check out the new Ziploc Double Zipper freezer bags. I did some drop tests.

The 1 quart size, filled with 3/4 quart of water:
5 foot drop to concrete - no prob.
10 foot drop to concrete - no prob.
15 foot drop to concrete - no prob.
Second 15 foot drop to concrete b/c I couldn't believe it survived the first - no prob.
20 foot drop to concrete - plastic side wall burst. (Zippers held.)

Note I used the same bag for each consecutive test - it finally broke after 5 drops.

-Erro

Skidsteer
06-10-2006, 23:36
Check out the new Ziploc Double Zipper freezer bags. I did some drop tests.

The 1 quart size, filled with 3/4 quart of water:
5 foot drop to concrete - no prob.
10 foot drop to concrete - no prob.
15 foot drop to concrete - no prob.
Second 15 foot drop to concrete b/c I couldn't believe it survived the first - no prob.
20 foot drop to concrete - plastic side wall burst. (Zippers held.)

Note I used the same bag for each consecutive test - it finally broke after 5 drops.

-Erro

Excellent idea for a test. I think I might try duplicating it with boiled water just for grins.

DLFrost
06-10-2006, 23:55
I found some neat litle bags at the local Walgreen's pharmacy. :clap They are 3" x 2" with a zip loc seal at the top that adds another 1/2" to the height of the bag. {...} Uses: Condiments, meds, small sewing kit, $$$, matches, whatever... :-? use your imagination.
Other sources for smaller ziplock-type bags/pouches: hobby stores, craft stores and places catering to collectors.

While you're at Wallgreens go over to the makup isle and have a look at the tweezers sold under the LaCross brand. Good for travel or trail (or fly fishing)--small, with clean points and a travel case to sheath them. And after a few weeks on the trail you can pluck that growing unibrow down to size. :D

Doug Frost

kyhiker1
06-11-2006, 00:29
The freezer ziploc's are by far the best to use over and over.The external slider bags will fail....

atraildreamer
06-11-2006, 00:31
Ziplock makes -- or used to -- a snack size bag, which sounds like the same thing. I bought a packsge once. I haven't seen them in the stores since -- but neither have I been looking very hard. The remains of the original purchase are still around someplace

I have some of the snack size bags, the pill bags are about 1/2 the width of the snack bags. The pill bags are made of a heavier duty plastic and are designed to keep the meds dry, if the bag is properly sealed. :)

Rain Man
06-23-2010, 10:01
I have some of the snack size bags, the pill bags are about 1/2 the width of the snack bags. The pill bags are made of a heavier duty plastic and are designed to keep the meds dry, if the bag is properly sealed. :)

I'm WAY behind the times, as usual. Just saw these for the first time while visiting my mother this past weekend. Here's a photo of one. I plan to use them for my future hikes. Great to hold a fire starter, such as cotton balls soaked in Vaseline.

Rain:sunMan

Panzer1
06-23-2010, 10:09
true story

At one of the Gatherings in Dartmouth someone asked Earl Shaffer what he thought was the biggest advancement in backpacking since his first hike, he said "zip lock bags".

Panzer