PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me with my clothing list?

JackJack96
05-25-2013, 16:12
I am looking at doing an A.T. section hike this summer and am trying to iron out my clothing before hand. I have a LWCWUS undershirt, under armor style boxers, and a lightweight nylon belt for use while hiking. I have a set of military polartec silkweight underwear, shirt and pants, to wear while sleeping. While I am open to advice on all other items, I am specifically looking for recommendations on socks and conv. pants. I also have an older Columbia Titanium Interchangable jacket shell and New Balance 411 ATs for hiking. And no wise comments like I have gotten from some people I have actually talked to. "We can learn a lot from wise words and less from a wise guy." Here is a link for the LWCWUS undershirt. http://www.kpsurplus.com/buy/u_s_military_style_new_undershirt_lwcwus_large/32890

bert304
05-25-2013, 16:35
For socks I use Smartwool mid weight hiker socks

dmax
05-25-2013, 16:46
For socks be sure to check out Darn Tough.

poopsy
05-25-2013, 19:38
y'know. I think you have a pretty good idea about what you want. The thing that I keep pointing out to people is insect management. I don't know where your section hike will be, or the exact month but bugs are gonna be there. The hazard of lyme disease has got to be taken care of. What is your strategy? Do your essential three layers: base (sleep, long johns, briefs), mid (convertibles, fleece, shirt), and outer (rain, wind and cold) and then think about how you are going to integrate a critter layer. Maybe a good permethrin soak is the way to go.

Have fun and stay healthy

BuckeyeBill
05-25-2013, 19:47
Check out REI Conv Pants (http://www.rei.com/product/794408/rei-sahara-convertible-pants-with-no-sit-zips-mens-32-inseam) A bit pricey but they wear well.

JackJack96
05-26-2013, 10:34
y'know. I think you have a pretty good idea about what you want. The thing that I keep pointing out to people is insect management. I don't know where your section hike will be, or the exact month but bugs are gonna be there. The hazard of lyme disease has got to be taken care of. What is your strategy? Do your essential three layers: base (sleep, long johns, briefs), mid (convertibles, fleece, shirt), and outer (rain, wind and cold) and then think about how you are going to integrate a critter layer. Maybe a good permethrin soak is the way to go.

Have fun and stay healthy
My section hike will probably be in early August, pending weather and the amount of kids able to go. The section is from Crawford pond to Church pond, all in Maine.

garlic08
05-26-2013, 11:49
Skills in keeping things clean and dry are a greater issue than what you bring. Some hikers start out with three complete sets of clothes and by the end of the second day, every item is wet and dirty. Your tolerance to hiking in wet clothing and putting wet clothing on in the morning is an unknown. I hiked the AT with one set of clothes (long trou and shirt) and one extra pair of socks. I had polypro layers for warmth, but in ME I didn't use them. You don't need much. Sorry if that's too general.

Insect management really is a good point. A one ounce head net kept me sane. Permethrin is a good idea, too. I didn't use DEET.

BuckeyeBill
05-26-2013, 12:44
Skills in keeping things clean and dry are a greater issue than what you bring. Some hikers start out with three complete sets of clothes and by the end of the second day, every item is wet and dirty. Your tolerance to hiking in wet clothing and putting wet clothing on in the morning is an unknown. I hiked the AT with one set of clothes (long trou and shirt) and one extra pair of socks. I had polypro layers for warmth, but in ME I didn't use them. You don't need much. Sorry if that's too general.

Insect management really is a good point. A one ounce head net kept me sane. Permethrin is a good idea, too. I didn't use DEET.

Garlic

Did you keep retreating your clothes with permethrin or was once enough?

garlic08
05-26-2013, 15:06
Garlic

Did you keep retreating your clothes with permethrin or was once enough?

I treated them once in VA on the AT and that was enough for me. I remember reading one treatment is good for ten washings? On other, longer hikes I've had to re-treat them and have included permethrin in mail drops.

BuckeyeBill
05-26-2013, 17:25
OK Thanks Garlic. I guess I wil follow your plan.

JackJack96
06-05-2013, 08:20
Problem. the under shirt and my PJs were accidentally donated to Salvation Army by my mom and I can't get them back. Any ideas for replacements?