PDA

View Full Version : Umbrella???

southern fossil
05-25-2013, 18:49
How many hike with an Chicken Tetrazzini??

southern fossil
05-25-2013, 18:51
I meant umbrella. Copy and paste did not work on that.

BostonBlue
05-25-2013, 19:10
More people hike with Chicken Tetrazzini than umbrellas...

Giantsbane
05-25-2013, 19:14
The Guru hikes with an umbrella and everyone made fun of him. Than it rained the first time and he was the only one dry. No one makes fun of it anymore.

Teacher & Snacktime
05-25-2013, 19:23
I brought an umbrella on my first hike, but sent it home to reduce weight. Then it rained the next 2 days. I don't think I'll bring it again though as the rain gear was enough.

bigcranky
05-25-2013, 19:43
Umbrellas are great until the wind picks up and then you get soaked anyway. And cold. And btw it's always freakin' windy in the mountains in a storm. (Ask me how I know this.)

So yeah, I tried the umbrella one trip. Never again.

pelenaka
05-25-2013, 21:30
Bought a multicolored umbrella hat @ the $ store this week. It's almost 24" across.
Had one when my children were young, they could always pick me out on a crowded beach. Later when they were tweens they of course pretended they didn't know me.
Anyways, even though the umbrella hat is funny looking it does keep the rain & sun outta my face and it's hands free. My rain poncho just wasn't keeping my face (eyeglasses) dry.
Hopefully my dog won't disown me.

dmax
05-25-2013, 22:25
I've been using one for over 15 years now.

scrabbler
05-25-2013, 23:17
Having one in the pack keeps the rain away.

Whack-a-mole
05-26-2013, 10:05
I'm with scrabbler on this one. If you pack one, it won't rain for sure. Could be a good plan.

Deadeye
05-26-2013, 16:08
I always carry one. Worth it for me, YMMV.

Stir Fry
05-26-2013, 20:52
I carry one is great in a light ran without to much wind, also nice arround camp or in town. People say don't take it but every time i pull it out people say wow wish I had one. I have clips that hold it to my pack so its hands free. IMHO one of the best 5 oz I carry.

Heald
05-26-2013, 21:42
I hiked with a guy who gave up his shelter for an umbrella. No kidding. He'd wait out summer thunder bumpers with his umbrella after building a huge campfire. After the bumper rolled thru he'd build the fire back up and cowboy camp. It was pretty cool. He carried a 7.5 base weight, and made it to Big K respectively.

Swordpen
05-26-2013, 23:52
I carry a golite silver umbrella.

but I am doing this for other reasons than you all.

I live in the SW, the sun is VERY intense in the desert. It's another 8oz, but have rigged it on my backpacks (even my day hike pack), so its hands free.

in the summer, we head up to the mountains for heat relief, but then, at higher altitude, the UV is much greater. And, anyway, without trees (we don't have very many, mostly scrub juniper at >= 6500 feet), even 80 degrees in full sun gets to you (ie: you get hot, tired) after 20 minutes.

This umbrella does create a small microclimate under it, I'd say it drops the temps by 5-7 degrees.

wearing a big brim hat, gets miserable, as they are too hot & you will sweat even tho this is a dry climate (even a golite ventilated ball cap is hot, a Sunday Afternoon sun hat is hot, REI cape hats are hot).

i have also had squamous cell skin cancer. The sun here is nothing to fool with. So yeah, umbrella.