PDA

View Full Version : Update from Mayor of Damascus

rickb
05-26-2013, 04:58
In this article the Mayor of Damascus comments on the Driver's Insurance coverage, how there is no need for a fund raiser, and the future of Traildays. Says all injured hikers were released from hospital.

http://www.tricities.com/news/local/article_bee8e676-c5a1-11e2-ad23-0019bb30f31a.html

Old Hiker
05-26-2013, 10:05
<sigh> Even though I have a GOOD one and have to use him, does anyone else hear the pitter-patter of litigious lawyer feet rushing towards Damascus?

Glad everyone's bills will be paid, evidently. Glad no one was badly hurt. Glad Trail Days will continue.

Ktaadn
05-26-2013, 10:36
“The parade committee is going to be looking into everything, from parade entry to people lining the street and how to best protect them,” McCrady said. “We made all kinds of safety preparations; it was just a fluke,” he said. “I don’t know how you make anything completely fail-safe. We will definitely look at all aspects of Trail Days.”

Just a fluke? Really? An 86 year old man with a medical condition was allowed to drive in a parade which led to a serious incident. That's not a fluke. That's an inevitability.

Marta
05-26-2013, 10:57
I hope it is true that the injured hikers' bills will be fully and rapidly paid by the driver's insurance company. My experience with a few automobile accidents in which a lot of damage and/or injury occurred has been just the opposite.

A semi caused an accordion wreck in Charlotte a number of years ago. One of my company's trucks was part of the filling in the sandwich. It took close to two years of me making weekly phone to get paid for that truck. The insurance company was Travelers. The claim wasn't resolved until I filed an official complaint with the NC Commissioner of Insurance.

My daughter's car was was totaled and she was injured in August of 2011. The drunken, drugged driver hit five other cars before she slammed into my daughter's Jeep Grand Cherokee so hard the two cars became locked together that the perpetrator couldn't escape. State Farm at first denied responsibility for paying anything at all, since the drunken driver was the daughter of the owner. About three months after the accident, they paid for my daughter's car--not nearly enough to replace it, of course. The check reimbursing my daughter for her medical care--a year's worth of consultations, an MRI, physical therapy, etc.--arrived about two weeks ago.

There is a reason personal injury attorneys do a flourishing business.

rickb
05-27-2013, 16:07
There is a reason personal injury attorneys do a flourishing business.

Good people-- those who believe in common sense and fair play especially -- sometimes don't consult with one after an accident.

That is a big mistake if you suffered an injury that required medical attention.

Insurance companies are not there to help you, or even the person they hold a policy for. Initial consultations a lawyer is usually free, and one should talk to several before even talking to the other drivers insurance company, much less signing anything.