PDA

View Full Version : tarp tent

RF_ace
05-26-2013, 23:53
Would anyone comment on the durability of the tarp tent brand of tents. I do understand that they are lightweight items and have an inherent lack of durability, but I am just curious as to how they stack up against the big brands lightweight offerings

stranger
05-27-2013, 01:56
I've had 2 Tarptent designs by Henry Shires in the past and I must say that compared to other companies, I've been unimpressed with the reinforcements and stitching on Tarptents. Put it this way, I would love to have something like a Tarptent Notch, but made by Mountain Laurel Designs.

However, they don't fall apart, too many people have used them successfully and while there are complaints (misting is a big one) I can't say I've ever heard of a Tarptent 'failing' in the field. Any ultralight design will by nature lack durability, some more than others, but I think it's safe to say you don't have anything to worry about on a Tarptent. I'm very picky and come from a long background in the outdoor industry, so will pick up on things most people would never notice, so don't let my comments throw you, but compare Tarptent to MLD, there is a big difference in construction, no debate there.

Too bad MLD doesn't make fully enclosed shelters other than the Cricket.

trapper
05-27-2013, 09:35
just spend the cash and get a zpacks tent. you won't be disappointed. amazing tents

Storm
05-27-2013, 09:46
I have been using my Tarptent Moment for over two years. Misting has not been a problem as long as I keep the vents open to allow maximum airflow. I have not babied the tent at all and other then a couple stretch marks in the mesh haven't had any problems.

Don H
05-27-2013, 09:58
I own one of the earlier TT Rainbow, probably 10 years old. It still is used by my son and is still in good usable condition. Like any Ultra Light equipment you need to be careful with it.

Misting is a result of moisture condensing on the inside of the tent then being knocked off by heavy rain drops striking the outside of the tent fabric. Any tent can mist. Ventilation is a key to reducing condensation.

I'd also like to say that Henry Sires has personally called me about an order and offered a discount for my son's Scout troop when we ordered 3 Squall 2s. He said to call and ask for him if there were any questions. Can't beat that for personal service.

q-tip
05-27-2013, 10:05
I have been using Tarp Tents for 6 years-have two-Contrail-Cloudburst---Workmanship-durability excellent-but I really take care of my equipment....

MuddyWaters
05-27-2013, 10:06
Would anyone comment on the durability of the tarp tent brand of tents. I do understand that they are lightweight items and have an inherent lack of durability, but I am just curious as to how they stack up against the big brands lightweight offerings

What "big brands lightweight offerings"?

When you get a 2.5 lb 2P double wall tent, including 12 oz of poles, how did they make that tent magically weigh 28oz.?

They made it 1) tiny and cramped 2) out of flyweight material 3) reduced some design factors to the limits of suitability or beyond. (zippers over mesh so rain drips in)

For instance, the silnylon used in many shelters is quite strong.
The fabric used in BA flycreek, is quite weak.

You have a mistaken view of where the lack of durability is.

Look at hydrostatic head ratings for fabric uses by BA - 1200mm. Same for floor. If you kneel on it water can come thru.

Some cottage mfs may use that. Some, use much higher, up to 3500 mm, and dont have misting issues.

Do your homework before purchasing any shelter and KNOW what you are getting. People that complain, simply didnt know what they were buying most of the time.

Silnylon is strong. But there is something about putting PU coating on nylon that makes it much weaker. The lightweight tents that use that do so because seams can be taped, but it is not as strong as silnylon that you must seam seal yourself.

RF_ace
05-27-2013, 10:36
Z packs is some quality stuff, wish I was hardcore enough to warrant purchasing more stuff from them

trapper
05-27-2013, 11:56
would not trade my heximid twin for ANYTHING on the market. 19 oz all inclusive is hard to beat. plus no sag like sil nylon

garlic08
05-27-2013, 14:09
I'm getting nearly legendary mileage out of my Tarptent Contrail. I've had it for seven seasons, it has over 6000 trail miles and one 4500 mile cross country bicycle tour. It's starting to show some wear, but still usable. The cost is well below one dollar per night.

The durability of silnylon surprised me. I'm not real easy on gear and I used to put the occasional tear in a regular tent fly.

mark schofield
05-27-2013, 18:21
about 4 years on my contrail. mostly the long trail in VT. about 1 month per year usage. so far so good. no rips, tears, seams unraveling, ect. and I pull it really tight when setting up.

Drybones
05-27-2013, 19:34
I have the Double Rainbow and the Notch, I don't abuse my gear but don't baby it, they're both like they were the day I got them. the Notch has about 650 AT miles on it and the DR has seen a lot of trips with the dog. I actually believe them to be more durable than lightweight tents that reduce weight by thinning the pole walls. I have an REI Quaterdome that the poles have broken twice.

BradMT
05-28-2013, 22:50
I have been using my Tarptent Moment for over two years. Misting has not been a problem as long as I keep the vents open to allow maximum airflow. I have not babied the tent at all and other then a couple stretch marks in the mesh haven't had any problems.

Storm, the Moment really is a double wall tent, not a typical TT single-wall design.

I had a Rainbow, and while I liked it, I didn't like the amount of condensation it held even here in high-dry Montana.

I DO think the TT designs are outstanding and I did in fact write Henry this weekend asking if he would offer the Moment with a partial fabric inner-tent (like the Notch).

I believe the Moment would be an outstanding choice for me... and I have zero fears about TT's durability.

Storm
05-28-2013, 23:10
Storm, the Moment really is a double wall tent, not a typical TT single-wall design.

I had a Rainbow, and while I liked it, I didn't like the amount of condensation it held even here in high-dry Montana.

I DO think the TT designs are outstanding and I did in fact write Henry this weekend asking if he would offer the Moment with a partial fabric inner-tent (like the Notch).

I believe the Moment would be an outstanding choice for me... and I have zero fears about TT's durability.

If the Moment is a double wall tent then they forget to ship me the extra wall. No way.

4Bears
05-28-2013, 23:37
If the Moment is a double wall tent then they forget to ship me the extra wall. No way.
The Moment just recently became a true double wall tent. Virtually it is the Notch but with a bigger wider floor, 42" vs 32" for the Notch

Rock Lobster
05-29-2013, 02:01
I had the Contrail, then the Moment, then upgraded to the Moment DW for this summer. Used the first two for 1000 miles each, and I put most of my gear through hell. Both were fine, even after setting them up and sleeping in them on gravel, rock, and even a parking lot once. I lost the contrail, and sold the moment. Not a rip, tear, scratch, or failure in either.

The only issue I ever had was leaving the Moment set up in my basement for a couple months. I set it up to dry and then got lazy and left it. Two sections of the pole somehow fused together and heating, lubing, twisting, and pulling could not unstick them. Contacted Henry and he said he'd never heard of it but if they were wet they probably tarnished together. I replaced the pole for $15.

Love these tents!

smithcj06
05-31-2013, 10:11
The original tarptent moment is singlewall while the new updated moment is doublewall fyi.

I owned and beat to hell the original tarptent moment on back to back thru-hikes of the AT and PCT. I abuse the hell out of gear and it lasted through both hikes and still has a little bit of life left in it. I just received the new DW Moment for hiking this summer and am soo excited to test out the new features. A big plus on the tarptent company is Henry Shires customer service and overall passion for making, improving, and creating quality products.

topshelf
05-31-2013, 11:29
I think regardless of who made your choice in tent, there are some things everyone should know when dealing with a lightweight piece of gear. It seems to me the cottage gear companies make better quality gear, but it pushes envelopes. It needs to be handled much differently.

Experience goes a long way in increasing the lifespan of the particular piece of gear. It's an art really. You are dealing with thinner materials, so avoiding certain pitch sites(thorns, abrasive rocks etc.) is important, not over stretching the materials, pitching to allow unexpected winds and rains not to overstretch as well. How to pack it in your pack to avoid rubbing on the material. How it's packed to get rid of repeated fold lines...BLAH BLAH BLAH.

I just got a TT Notch a few months ago. As soon as I got it, I inspected every inch of sewing. It couldn't be more perfectly sewn. I've spent 20-30 nights in it (no issues). Still not long enough to comment truly on druability, but the craftsmanship is much better than the other tents ive owned and looked at.

stranger
06-01-2013, 00:43
I think regardless of who made your choice in tent, there are some things everyone should know when dealing with a lightweight piece of gear. It seems to me the cottage gear companies make better quality gear, but it pushes envelopes. It needs to be handled much differently.

Experience goes a long way in increasing the lifespan of the particular piece of gear. It's an art really. You are dealing with thinner materials, so avoiding certain pitch sites(thorns, abrasive rocks etc.) is important, not over stretching the materials, pitching to allow unexpected winds and rains not to overstretch as well. How to pack it in your pack to avoid rubbing on the material. How it's packed to get rid of repeated fold lines...BLAH BLAH BLAH.

I just got a TT Notch a few months ago. As soon as I got it, I inspected every inch of sewing. It couldn't be more perfectly sewn. I've spent 20-30 nights in it (no issues). Still not long enough to comment truly on druability, but the craftsmanship is much better than the other tents ive owned and looked at.

Great tent no question...but set it up again, have a good look at the storm flaps over the zippers on the fly, the exposed zipper, that is a major drawback to me and the reason I haven't bought it yet. Tarptent even acknowledges it, but has rationalized it by saying there haven't been complaints...I find that appalling to be honest.

What's the point in having a storm flap over the zipper = to keep the zipper from being exposed to rain. The zipper IS exposed to rain, and Tarptent says it's fine. Perhaps too many have already been sewn.

mankind117
06-01-2013, 08:14
Tarptents seem plenty durable to me. I have the new moment and the stratospires and have used a couple others over the years. I thought the fly creek I looked at from Big Agnes seemed way less durable, the material was thinner and the zippers looked like they wouldn't last.

topshelf
06-01-2013, 09:29
Great tent no question...but set it up again, have a good look at the storm flaps over the zippers on the fly, the exposed zipper, that is a major drawback to me and the reason I haven't bought it yet. Tarptent even acknowledges it, but has rationalized it by saying there haven't been complaints...I find that appalling to be honest.

What's the point in having a storm flap over the zipper = to keep the zipper from being exposed to rain. The zipper IS exposed to rain, and Tarptent says it's fine. Perhaps too many have already been sewn.

humm, just looked at it, the flap looks sufficient to me. I have this year's model, maybe there's a difference. I've had it set up in a few thunderstorms with blowing rain and no rain has ever got in. Maybe i'll test it with with water hose sometime soon. I think in an extreme blowing, heavy, heavy rain a few drops might drip through, but because the flap is on the down sloping side with tension on the apex it is very unlikely to get water in IMHO.

stranger
06-01-2013, 21:47
Thanks for checking, if its been corrected I'm down to buy one