PDA

View Full Version : Southen Moot Oct 28-30, City Suggestions now:

MedicineMan
07-15-2005, 04:21
let's list the cities for the Fall WB Moot...after a week of city ideas we'll put it to a vote.
so here are a couple:

Hotspring, NC duh
Fontana Village, NC
Gatlinburg (you gotta be kidding right!)
Maybe someplace in Georgia but something tells me we might do this again right before next years thru-hikers begin in the guise of a WB 2006 kickoff (will have to come up with a better name of course) but a Georgia city is cool too...

generoll
07-15-2005, 06:42
What about Robbinsville, NC? Seems I read in our local paper that the campground at Rattler Ford was providing free sites this weekend for campers celebrating the completion of the BMT. I think there are hot showers at that campground and you're within easy access of some of the mid sections of the BMT as well as Joyce Kilmer.

MedicineMan
07-15-2005, 06:44
excellent suggestion! i've based a paddle trip on Lake Santeetlah out of that area and like it a lot, even camped in the rattler area too.
we'll def. put robbinsville on the vote poll when that time comes.

Nean
07-15-2005, 07:50
Robbinsville does sound nice but I'd pick Hot Springs if the vote was today!

Tabasco
07-15-2005, 08:33
gets my 1st place vote, followed by Fontana

robin31
07-15-2005, 08:33
Hot Springs..Hot Springs...Hot Springs!

DId I mention Hot Springs!!
I chose Hot Springs..

There's 4 votes.:sun

And did I see Gatlinburg as one of the choices?! My Goodness...thats a warp reality.:eek:

Then again, Robbinsville is nice too. Campground is probably less expensive.

Miss Janet
07-15-2005, 10:27
There are usually Southbounders in this area around the end of October. Last year I took a group out to a Halloween costume contest... and I won!

The Solemates
07-15-2005, 11:07
dont shoot, but what about somewhere a little off the AT? like big east fork in TN/KY?

Tabasco
07-15-2005, 11:14
dont shoot, but what about somewhere a little off the AT? like big east fork in TN/KY?

You mean Big SOUTH Fork NRRA?

That's even closer, to me. wooooohooooo

Still voting for Hot Springs though

The Solemates
07-15-2005, 12:32
You mean Big SOUTH Fork NRRA?

That's even closer, to me. wooooohooooo

Still voting for Hot Springs though

yea..big south..big east. i was sorta right. my mind's not all here today. its been busy at work.

generoll
07-15-2005, 15:18
South Fork would be interesting to me mainly because I've never been there. Not too sure what's at Fontana other then a resort which I'm told does not really cater to hikers. Hot Springs probably has more motel space and is fine with me, assuming there is someplace for all to meet and carry out the serious business of the day ;) Gatlinburg was of course a joke.....but...... Cades Cove has a group campsite. Are we a group? Is someone actually organizing this shindig? Also, Cades Cove has a small meeting area and I'm fairly certain that we could impose on the rangers for its' use and perhaps a presentation or two.

What say you?

Nean
07-15-2005, 21:54
I still like Hot Springs, even more now that Miss Janet mentioned the hikers. Maybe we could use thier community center for a presentation or 2?

Sly
07-15-2005, 22:06
I'm kinda opposed to a town compared to a campground. More distractions, less intimacy.

I'll repeat my suggestion for Big Creek CG.

MedicineMan
07-15-2005, 22:34
i like the Big South Fork but this is AT oriented so i would lean in a major way toward Fontana,Hotsprings,Franklin AREAs..emphasizing areas because the CG may be out of town a bit...with that said HotSprings is small enough to be intimate....was just there for an incredible time except there was a rafting death while there....and speaking of that, it might also be possible to do a half day float---i know not AT related but this moot is people meeting each other oriented too....i'm voting for Hotsprings i'm sure,,,,,now wonder why Nean is voting for Hotsprings HA!

Sly
07-15-2005, 22:45
Ok whatever, I just don't understand why it needs to be in a town. If it's in HS, inevitably everyone is going to end up at Paddler's Pub. Not that I mind bars, but I prefer to have my beer creekside and a BBQ or something would be cool.

BTW, Big Creek is in the Smokies, near the trail and Mountain Moma's.

MedicineMan
07-15-2005, 22:50
and i'm a bit wary of too much drinking, so i'm hoping like most that nothing gets out of hand, but in reality i dont think more than 10-12 people will show though hoping i'm wrong and your lastest area idea i think is an excellent one.
there is also another angle to the city, and that is support for that trail town which does get a lot of subsistance from hikers...in one sense our gathering can show at least economic support that may turn into continued city/acceptance for hikers

Tha Wookie
07-15-2005, 22:57
I agree with something said above: Go to a campground!

Are we outdoors people or not?

A VERY cool place that I think would work (pardon my GA bias) is the High Schoals Falls trail (about 2 miles from the AT near Tray Mt. Wilderness) , which leads 1 mile from the parking area to a gorgeous very large hemlock- covered campsite area that can easily accommodate a big group, has a great clear-water creek, and some impressive waterfalls. I would go there.

Free camping! It's technically backcountry.....

Sly
07-15-2005, 22:58
there is also another angle to the city, and that is support for that trail town which does get a lot of subsistance from hikers...in one sense our gathering can show at least economic support that may turn into continued city/acceptance for hikers

While that may be true, HS does OK for itself with hikers.

If you have it there everyone is going to be spread out, some at the CG, some at the motel, some at the Duckett House etc. Where's the Moot going to be? Most likely Paddler's Pub.

I'd much prefer to support a National Park. All Moot, no distractions.

SGT Rock
07-15-2005, 23:01
Before I say this, let me preface that I consider this is just a vote from another attendee.

I prefer staying out of a town at a campsite. I also don't want a drunken drum-circle drum fest. But I'm not opposed to responsible consumption of adult beverages.

Nean
07-15-2005, 23:50
Well I was thinking of the campground in town:o Out in the woods does seem more warm and cozy. Heck, if there were only 10 or 12 we could do it here, but then, I'd probably end up single:( I like gettin outs to the big city every now and then: HS is close:) I just checked my register, only 5 sobos that week, I don't think a drunkin drum circle will break out with this crowd...(?) The weather could be poop too, so having an alternative to the campfire might not be bad.

Tha Wookie
07-15-2005, 23:59
Before I say this, let me preface that I consider this is just a vote from another attendee.

I prefer staying out of a town at a campsite. I also don't want a drunken drum-circle drum fest. But I'm not opposed to responsible consumption of adult beverages.
So you're saying the drummers can't drink? that's just not fair! Hahaha!!!!

Does anyone on this site drum anyway?

If we hike in a mile (or more), then there goes all the drums. You have to save room in your pack for the responsible adult beverages.....

...if we camp, then it would ba good idea to have someone go early and make sure the site is "reserved"

Tabasco
08-26-2005, 13:01
do we have a place firmed up yet?

dharmabum86
08-26-2005, 13:22
I don't reallly know any of you but count me in if you decide to stay out of town. I usually spend too much money and I just like the idea of camping somewhere new. When you decide on a place, post it and if any of you live in the North Ga. area I'm not opposed to car pooling.
OJ

dharmabum86
08-26-2005, 13:24
That's the same weekend that NOC has their customer appreciation throwdown. So Fontana might be a little busy

MedicineMan
08-26-2005, 22:50
poll for determining the city/area/cg is posted...please look and vote...
so far Hotsprings is the winner. I voted for Big Creek but will go where the winner is. My goal is to meet WBers. Like many here I've done the AT in this area several times so my main goal is putting faces to posters here.

generoll
08-03-2006, 19:01
This fell through last year but I thought that I'd bring it up again. Anyone interested in a Fall gathering somewhere in the southern Appalachians? Call it what you will.

Mountain Man
08-03-2006, 19:24
I'd be interested. Just decide on a place. Amicalola Falls would be a good place. We could stay in the campground or go up the Forest service rd. a little ways where they are several good camping areas on the creek big enough for groups for free. Wherever you decide I'll do my best to make it if you can get up enough people.

Skidsteer
08-03-2006, 19:40
This fell through last year but I thought that I'd bring it up again. Anyone interested in a Fall gathering somewhere in the southern Appalachians? Call it what you will.

Sure. I'll make it if at all possible.

Also, there is an event August 20 at Upper Hightower Trout farm (http://appalachiantrailservices.com/in-link/inlink_redirect.php?env=-inlink/index:m252-1-1-1-s&linkid=537).

PM Dances With Mice (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=1030)for details.

generoll
08-03-2006, 21:28
let's see how much interest this generates if then we can try to find a date and location.

The Solemates
08-04-2006, 11:22
i might be interested if it was in eastern TN.

generoll
08-04-2006, 12:14
can we set a general area and then narrow it? a place near or on the AT or BMT say between Springer and Davenport Gap? My preference is any place that has water.

sliderule
08-13-2006, 12:07
I'll repeat my suggestion for Big Creek CG.

Big Creek only has 12 campsites. First come, first served.

generoll
08-13-2006, 12:12
Big Creek only has 12 campsites. First come, first served.

No group campsite there?

Ewker
08-13-2006, 12:25
Big Creek is in the Smokies, near the trail and Mountain Moma's.

it is a nice place but I have never been able to camp there. With only 12 tent sites it makes it tough to get one

generoll
08-13-2006, 12:50
so we start with options south of there then.

generoll
08-13-2006, 15:03
I think the Rattler Ford campground was used during the BMT opening. Out of deference to my wife I stayed in the lodge down by the river, but I think some folks here may have stayed there. Anyone want to discuss that place as a meeting point? It's near Robbinsville for those who may not be familiar with it.

By the way, I have no agenda for this, just a suggestion for WB folks to get together and put faces to the names. I suppose that if Sgt. Rock comes we might impose on him to plan some trail maintenence for Sunday after we've all packed up. I think that's near the section of the BMT that he maintains. Hope that suggestion wasn't too presumptious of me, Sgt.

sliderule
08-13-2006, 17:22
No group campsite there?

The group site there is intended for folks with horses. I suppose that it would be possible to reserve it and then "forget" to bring the horses.

Why should people with horses have more rights than those without?

The Cosby CG is not far from Big Creek. It has plenty of sites and is not often crowded. And it's not close to Mountain Mama's!!!

Smile
08-13-2006, 18:44
Tha Wookie:High Schoals Falls trail

That sounds like a great spot, how far to haul in from a parking area, 1 mi?

Sly
08-13-2006, 19:35
it is a nice place but I have never been able to camp there. With only 12 tent sites it makes it tough to get one

They have a group site just before the individual tent sites that holds up to 75, if I'm not mistaken. Inexpensive too.

Ewker
08-13-2006, 19:37
They have a group site just before the individual tent sites that holds up to 75, if I'm not mistaken. Inexpensive too.

I think someone mentioned that was a horse camp.

Sly
08-13-2006, 19:40
The group site there is intended for folks with horses.
Big Creek group campsite is for horse people? Says who? If you look at the map, horse people have their own camp ground.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/gsmsite/campground/bigcreek.pdf

Skidsteer
08-13-2006, 19:46

1.2 miles. And I agree with Wook. It's a great site with waterfalls and Blue Hole.

generoll
08-13-2006, 19:52
which place are we talking about now?

Skidsteer
08-13-2006, 19:56
which place are we talking about now?

High Shoals trail. It's on FS 283(Indian Grave Gap Rd) on the way to Indian Grave Gap. The same road takes you all the way to Tray Gap.

generoll
08-13-2006, 20:25
got it. This is a campsite? Drive to or hike to?

Skidsteer
08-13-2006, 21:04
got it. This is a campsite? Drive to or hike to?

Drive to to trailhead, hike to the campsite. The campsite Wook is talking about is under the hemlocks:

A VERY cool place that I think would work (pardon my GA bias) is the High Schoals Falls trail (about 2 miles from the AT near Tray Mt. Wilderness) , which leads 1 mile from the parking area to a gorgeous very large hemlock- covered campsite area that can easily accommodate a big group, has a great clear-water creek, and some impressive waterfalls. I would go there.

It's been a looong time since I've hiked it, but it sounds right. I may try to get out there this weekend and check it out, but it's gonna be a busy weekend.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

generoll
08-13-2006, 21:55
Sounds like a plan to me. Now as to dates. I've made plans to finish up my AT/BMT section during the week of October 12-18. I'm planning on starting there at the tunnel where I stopped in March and going on to Davenport Gap. Point being that I'd prefer another weekend. Any asuggestions? Since I am on call approxiamtely every 4th weekend I need to make plans now to have the weekend free.

Ewker
08-13-2006, 22:05
I just realized I have plans for Oct 28-30. Anytime before or after is fine with me

sliderule
08-13-2006, 23:02
Big Creek group campsite is for horse people? Says who? If you look at the map, horse people have their own camp ground.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/gsmsite/campground/bigcreek.pdf

You are right. I thought the whole area was the horse camp. The park web site also indicates that there is a separate group site, in addition to the horse camp.

Skidsteer
09-05-2006, 19:57
I agree with something said above: Go to a campground!

Are we outdoors people or not?

1.2 miles. And I agree with Wook. It's a great site with waterfalls and Blue Hole.

...I may try to get out there this weekend and check it out, but it's gonna be a busy weekend.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I finally got a chance to check it out this past weekend. As I remembered, and as Wookie recommended, this trail would be a good choice if we wanted to have the Moot in an outdoor setting.

Great scenery in Blue Hole Falls (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=12697&catid=favorites) and High Shoals Falls (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=12698&catid=favorites) as well as a large camping area (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=12699&catid=favorites) with flat tentsites, hammock trees, and water.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

generoll
09-05-2006, 20:39
looks good to me. can we settle on a date? what about sometime in early november? 2nd weekend?

Lilred
09-05-2006, 22:35
If you want to be near the Smokies, Townsend is a great little town. Just a few miles from Cades Cove. There's a really nice campground called Tuckaleechee, with decent cabin rentals too. the Little Pigeon River runs right through it. Townsend is a great place, not touristy at all.