PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Restaurants on the AT?

BostonBlue
05-27-2013, 10:50
In your opinion, what are the top 10 places to eat(not affiliated to hostels) on the AT?

MDSection12
05-27-2013, 11:17
I haven't seen enough of the AT to say anything definitive, but I'd have to imagine The Old South Mountain Inn is on the list. It's literally on the trail and it's consistently one of the best restaurants I've been to... And I've been going with family for twenty years now. :)

RF_ace
05-27-2013, 11:41
Cafe rel in Franklin

BostonBlue
05-27-2013, 11:54
Cafe rel in Franklin

This Shrimp and Grits looks great! Old South Mt is on the list as well.

Zippy Morocco
05-27-2013, 12:02
Cafe 101 in boiling springs, village farmer in Delaware Water Gap. I'm in Delaware Water Gap now so I can't comment on anything north of here.

Mayer
05-27-2013, 12:12
Zippy are you hiking a thru?

RF_ace
05-27-2013, 12:29
Cafe rel is cash only but wow, almost want to make a 10 hour drive for a lamb burger

Zippy Morocco
05-27-2013, 12:38
Mayer, yes I am. We are taking a zero today. Just about to watch a movie in stroudsburg, PA

Kerosene
05-27-2013, 12:48
Iron Horse Inn in Hot Springs. Great beer and hearty food!

10-K
05-27-2013, 12:58
I liked "Up for Breakfast" in Manchester Center, VT pretty good.

"The Three C's" in Port Clinton was good too but I was really hungry so that might have affected my judgement.

Cookerhiker
05-27-2013, 13:02
The restaurants in Shenandoah National Park

Any of the restaurants in the old historic part of Harpers Ferry

Port Clinton Hotel (huge portions of fries)

Sugar & Spice House in Mendon, VT (down Rt. 4 towards Rutland from Sherbourne Pass) for breakfast. Pure maple syrup on buckwheat pancakes.

Inn at the Long Trail - for ambiance, Guinness and/or LT brews, Guinness stew

I can picture several others but can't remember their names.

Trillium
05-27-2013, 13:05
The Home Place in Catawba

max patch
05-27-2013, 13:09
Any restaurant on a thru is going to be good and they are listed in the Companion.

Restaurants that are still going to good even if you havent hiked in 3 months and are well worth the drive the get to if you are in the area would be Inn on the Long Trail, Mountain Meadows and the Homeplace.

Jeff
05-27-2013, 17:56
Lou's in Hanover!!

ryanwflynn
05-27-2013, 18:00
The Bank, Pearisburg, VA; The Boiling Springs Tavern, PA; Fife n' Drum, Kent, CT; Long Trail Inn; Spring Creek BBQ, Monson; Deer Head Inn, DWG

Drybones
05-27-2013, 19:27
How good a meal is, is directly proportional to how hungry you are. The best meal I had on the trail was a cheeseburger from a trail angel (Steve Miller). Best all time meal was a biscuit with scrambled eggs my dad pulled from his hunting coat about 2:oo in the afternoon after quail hunting since first light, I pulled most of the bird feathers out before eating and drank water from a cow track. I've eaten in some fine restraunts but have yet to get a meal that comes close to that one.

Hikes in Rain
05-27-2013, 19:37

Also in Hot Springs, the Smokey Mountain Diner. Great food, but head to Iron Horse for beer.

Drybones
05-27-2013, 20:20
Also in Hot Springs, the Smokey Mountain Diner. Great food, but head to Iron Horse for beer.

+1.......that western omlette was mighty fine.

hikerboy57
05-27-2013, 20:33
mcdonalds
pizza hut
kfc
wendys
taco bell
burger king
nathans
hardees
friendlys
five guys

Lugnut
05-27-2013, 21:17
The Chinese place in Waynesboro.

fireneck
05-27-2013, 21:26
Some of my favorite eateries in particular order

Doughboy's Pizza & Village Farmer in DWG, PA
Shanghai, Kent, CT -- Not worth the trip unless you have to resupply -- not a hiker friendly town.
Inn at Long Trail, Vermont
The Home Place Cawtaba, VA
Weezie's Waynesboro, VA
River's End, Nantahala Outdoor Center
The Restaurant right on the creek in "downtown" Hot Springs, NC
Ramuntos Brick Oven Pizza, Hanover, NH
Any and all Dunkin Donuts!

johnnybgood
05-27-2013, 22:07
The Chinese place in Waynesboro.

Ming Garden

Rasty
05-27-2013, 22:24
mcdonalds
pizza hut
kfc
wendys
taco bell
burger king
nathans
hardees
friendlys
dominos

You should have your citizenship from New York revoked for listing Dominos and you will be deported to Iowa!

hikerboy57
05-27-2013, 22:31
You should have your citizenship from New York revoked for listing Dominos and you will be deported to Iowa!fixed it......

Jim Adams
05-28-2013, 00:25
The Dog Patch Bar, Rt.40 Maryland.

ryanwflynn
05-28-2013, 01:55
A Burger or three at the Doyle is a must!

Lumberjack2003
05-28-2013, 06:23
My best meal was at The Home Place in Cawtaba, VA and the best place for a drink and a bite to eat was at the Inn at Long Trail, VT.

fredmugs
05-28-2013, 09:20
How good a meal is, is directly proportional to how hungry you are.

Agreed. The cheesesteak, fries, and Yuengling at the Doyle was my most enjoyable meal. The Ming in Waynesboro is a close second.

Lando11
05-28-2013, 09:35
Did no one grab a meal at the North Woodstock Inn (NH)? Not only was that the nicest place I stayed in along the AT, it also had by far the best food. Their breakfast (included in the cost of the room) is one of the best breakfasts I've had in my life.

The Kisco Kid
05-28-2013, 09:44
mcdonalds
pizza hut
kfc
wendys
taco bell
burger king
nathans
hardees
friendlys
five guys

Favorite A.T. cardiologists?

Rain Man
05-28-2013, 11:50
"The Three C's" in Port Clinton was good too but I was really hungry so that might have affected my judgement.

I ate a "standard issue-to-poor" breakfast at Three C's last month that was uninspiring in more ways than one. What really affected my judgment about the place was this: They plaster American flag false patriotism all over the place along with Bible verse false Christianity this and that, even prominently in the menu.

Yet, when I asked to plug in my smart phone charger (they have an outlet at every booth), they said "No." Talk about a contrast between the propaganda and how they treat tired, hungry travelers.

I won't ever be back to that place, nor could I recommend it for either reason. While, on the other hand, the Port Clinton bar/restaurant had great food AND actual Christianity. When I asked to plug in my smart phone charger, I was offered a choice of outlets with a kind smile.

What a contrast in places and in "talk" v. "walk" between a bar and a "family" restaurant. Two thumbs up for the Port Clinton Hotel bar and restaurant. And, I don't even drink alcohol.

Rain:sunMan

Drybones
05-28-2013, 12:35
The Mountain Harbour breakfast has to be on the list somewhere.

Cookerhiker
05-28-2013, 12:45

Absolutely agree!

SOBO_Pace
05-28-2013, 12:51
Beer stein in wind gap, pa. Great hiker bfast.

Gray Blazer
05-28-2013, 14:28
The best meal I had on the trail was a cheeseburger from a trail angel (Steve Miller).

"Somebody give me a cheeseburger!"

Are you serious? He was the first artist I ever saw in concert. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFgwPnE_1_8 BTW, this is better than the radio version.

Do do do do do do do livin' in the USA.

I wish I had been there. Talk about some trail magic.

BTW, where's the love for the Blue Blaze in Damascus?

Gray Blazer
05-28-2013, 14:32
I ate a "standard issue-to-poor" breakfast at Three C's last month that was uninspiring in more ways than one. What really affected my judgment about the place was this: They plaster American flag false patriotism all over the place along with Bible verse false Christianity this and that, even prominently in the menu.

Yet, when I asked to plug in my smart phone charger (they have an outlet at every booth), they said "No." Talk about a contrast between the propaganda and how they treat tired, hungry travelers.

I won't ever be back to that place, nor could I recommend it for either reason. While, on the other hand, the Port Clinton bar/restaurant had great food AND actual Christianity. When I asked to plug in my smart phone charger, I was offered a choice of outlets with a kind smile.

What a contrast in places and in "talk" v. "walk" between a bar and a "family" restaurant. Two thumbs up for the Port Clinton Hotel bar and restaurant. And, I don't even drink alcohol.

Rain:sunMan

(Warning: smartazz rude comment)

What kind of cell phone would Jesus use?

If I offer you my outlet does that make me an "actual" Christian?

Astro
05-28-2013, 14:34
mcdonalds
pizza hut
kfc
wendys
taco bell
burger king
nathans
hardees
friendlys
five guys

HB, at first it looked like you were just running of a list of common fast food place, but you really got my attention at the end. Is there a Five Guys near the AT any where? :-?

Drybones
05-28-2013, 15:04
(Warning: smartazz rude comment)

What kind of cell phone would Jesus use?

If I offer you my outlet does that make me an "actual" Christian?

Good question, it's interesting how people seem to have higher standards for "Christians". It's too bad they dont understand that "Christians" are screw-ups just like everybody else...just have a different future.

hikerboy57
05-28-2013, 15:15
HB, at first it looked like you were just running of a list of common fast food place, but you really got my attention at the end. Is there a Five Guys near the AT any where? :-?
gatlinsburg, rasty and i ate there

Rasty
05-28-2013, 15:33
gatlinsburg, rasty and i ate there

It was good too.

gumball
05-28-2013, 19:13
Did no one grab a meal at the North Woodstock Inn (NH)? Not only was that the nicest place I stayed in along the AT, it also had by far the best food. Their breakfast (included in the cost of the room) is one of the best breakfasts I've had in my life.

Dang, we are here now and it was between the Truant and the Woodstock Inn...and we went with the Truant. Another time!

Nooga
05-28-2013, 19:38

Totally agree!

Cookerhiker
05-28-2013, 19:45
A couple of Maine ones that I remember: the Red Onion in Rangeley and the White Wolf Cafe in Stratton may not be gourmet but to a hiker, they're paradise.

Driver8
05-29-2013, 01:17
+1 on the Inn at Long Trail. Canoe Club, right on the A.T. in downtown Hanover, is higher end for A.T. fare but super good. Molly's, couple doors down, is OK.

Lots of good eateries in Salisbury. I really like Chaiwalla. Great Barrington has a nice thai place and an OK indian place with poor service but good food, among others. The Fife'n'Drum in Kent is awesome but v. pricey. There's lots of nice places in Lincoln, NH, not too far from the trail.

RED-DOG
05-29-2013, 07:26
Vinny's deli & Pasta in Pawling NY, Farmer's Market in D.W.G, Chris's Hot Dogs in Kent CT, Moonlight Diner in Williamstown, Up For Breakfast in Manchester center VT, Dirt Cowboy Cafe in Hanover NH, MR Pizza in Gorham NH, Spring Creek BBQ in Monson ME, Joe's Place in Palmerton PA, Trent's Grocery & Deli at VA 606, Smoky MT Diner in Hot Springs NC, EL Corita Mexican in Erwin TENN.

Koozy
05-29-2013, 07:45
Toymakers Cafe in Falls Village, CT

SMSP
05-29-2013, 10:07
Turner's Corner Cafe at the intersection of Hwy. 19/129. Great food and service. Ask for "Happy". Just down the road from Neel's Gap.

Venchka
05-29-2013, 10:08

Thanks! We will be there this weekend.

Wayne

tf bear
05-29-2013, 10:51
5 Guys out of Port Clinton near Cabella's

RED-DOG
05-29-2013, 10:57
the A.Y.C.E buffet at Cabella's in port clinton is AWESOME.

jfarrell04
05-29-2013, 12:01
Big W's Roadside BBQ is about two miles north of the Route 22/55 road crossing near Wingdale/Pawling NY. We've been there twice on section hikes. It's awesome!

peakbagger
05-29-2013, 13:05
New wood fired pizza place in Gorham NH, it has potential

joshuasdad
05-29-2013, 13:10
Best burger so far has been Bascom Lodge on Greylock -- from the same cook that prepares the fancy dinners. Close second was "Wolf's Heart Attack" at the Blue Blaze Cafe in Damascus.

Have eaten 3 times at the Doyle, all great.

Most appreciated meal: Some kind of chicken and rice meal + salad at the Hemlock Hollow Hostel after a long, cold, rainy day. Cheap too.

Have had great meals at Skyland and Big Meadows in SNP...on the same day.

Been to South Mountain Inn for a wedding...best food I have had at one.

Blue Mountain Summit (PA), had two good meals there.

I'm sure I am forgetting some.

Gray Blazer
05-29-2013, 13:18
I forgot about Hemlock Hollow by Camp Creek Bald. Half mile from the trail. Very relaxing creek side open setting with what I thought was very good food. A lot of other services. Don't get put on their deadbeat hiker page. Sheeesh, some hikers feel entitled.

Drybones
05-29-2013, 13:56
I don't remember the name, but the restaurant by the river, on the left side heading north, at the NOC had the best store bought burger I had. I ordered a cheeseburger, fries and two beers, they would only serve one beer at a time, first one lasted about 6 seconds.

rickb
05-29-2013, 15:24
New wood fired pizza place in Gorham NH, it has potential

How about the Salt Pub?

Looked good on line, but have. Not been to Gorham in a few years.

daddytwosticks
05-29-2013, 16:26
I don't remember the name, but the restaurant by the river, on the left side heading north, at the NOC had the best store bought burger I had. I ordered a cheeseburger, fries and two beers, they would only serve one beer at a time, first one lasted about 6 seconds. River's End? Had a cheeseburger and beer there last Sunday after my hike. Awesome! :)

Astro
05-29-2013, 16:47
River's End? Had a cheeseburger and beer there last Sunday after my hike. Awesome! :)

I really enjoyed the Rivers End too. But it was tough to discern was it the food that was that awesome, or was I just starving from doing the biggest mileage day of my life to that point. :-?
Regardless based upon its location right on the the trail it is a must stop!

RED-DOG
05-29-2013, 17:15
And also i would like to add MoJoe's Trailside Coffee house in Damascus, they have a Fabulous breakfast.

cliffordbarnabus
05-29-2013, 19:32
kids kids kids

it's all about the aye's

the money'est stretch is near waynesboro, PA. in there you got that Chinese ayce with veggie sushi even and ice cream for $6.99. further in, western sizzlin ayce. further in yet, pizza hut ayce. money!

then on towards caledonia state park and at us 30 hwy, you got ryans ayce

all these ayce's include ice cream and salad bar and fruit bar ( I'm a veggie). so for less Than the cost of a usual entree at a normal restaurant, I can kill a pound of broccoli, throw cranberries and walnuts on top of my kilamanjaro salads, down dozens of different varieties of cakes and cookies, and imbibe ungodly gluttonous amounts of ice cream. it's all about variety, 3 hour marathon meals, and reading the free local classified ads newspapers. and if it's raining out, it's even money'er!

BostonBlue
05-29-2013, 21:22
:) Actually that's probably a different thread! I'll have to start that one. But right now, seeking the best restaurants rather than best bang for your buck!

Ktaadn
05-30-2013, 15:03
The Ashby Inn in Paris, VA. Just down the hill from, you guessed it, Ashby Gap. The food is amazing and it is in a cool and historic house.

http://www.ashbyinn.com/

Sly
05-30-2013, 15:12

I had the scrapple. Never again.

koondog
05-30-2013, 16:44
In your opinion, what are the top 10 places to eat(not affiliated to hostels) on the AT?Ashby Inn In Paris VA off Ashby Gap. You may need reservations, and it ain't cheap but my oh my, its good!

Kerosene
05-30-2013, 18:04
How could I forget the Little Red Hen Diner (http://www.yelp.com/biz/little-red-hen-diner-the-andover#hrid:3C5wA6DZEujqBfKY1u6hqg/src:self) in Andover, Maine! What a sumptuous breakfast (actually, 2 sumptuous breakfasts since I slacked out of Pine Ellis Hostel)!

Seatbelt
05-31-2013, 13:29
The woodfire pizza in Roan Mtn, TN is quite tasty, good value.

Drybones
05-31-2013, 14:25
The woodfire pizza in Roan Mtn, TN is quite tasty, good value.

A loaf of that homemade bread fits well in the top of a pack too.

HikerMom58
05-31-2013, 14:46
A loaf of that homemade bread fits well in the top of a pack too.

Sounds yummy...
Drybones... didn't you go out hiking this year? I've missed seeing you on here. Good to "see" you again. :)

Drybones
05-31-2013, 17:14
Sounds yummy...
Drybones... didn't you go out hiking this year? I've missed seeing you on here. Good to "see" you again. :)

I did about 215 miles but the right knee sent me home at Pearisbury, I wanted to at least make it to Daleville and meet you but after the steep decent into Pearisbury and the locked knee tending to cause nose dives I came home. I was pretty bummed and planned to sell all my gear and find another bad habit but now believe I'll try again next spring. I arrived just in time for the winter storm which didn't help, 30 MPH wind, heavy snow and teens at night, single digits at least one night. I had planned to take it slow on the knee since I had agrivated it at the gym but the weather put me in survival mode and I did too many long days trying to get out in front of the bad trail conditions. Didn't see many people on the trail.