PDA

View Full Version : Experienced Hikers I need your advice, PLEASE!!

Falcon
05-27-2013, 17:59
I have section hiked the AT the past 2 years and made it to Hot Springs, NC. On June 1st, I begin my retirement after 36 years in education spending the last 11 year as a high school principal. My plans are to start hiking at Hot Springs north for the entire months of June and July. I average 10-15 mpd, 59 years old and in fairly good hiking condition. I would like to know from those of you that have hiked from Hot Springs through Virginia how far can I expect get if I hiked the entire months of June and July with about 8 zero days? Thanks for your advice!

Cookerhiker
05-27-2013, 18:11
61 days in June-July minus 8 zeros is 53 days of hiking. If you average 13 mpd, you hike 690 miles and that puts you almost exactly at Front Royal (Rt. 522 crossing). If you can average another mile per day, you make it to Harpers Ferry. HF is more convenient for public transportation back to your home.

My only concern for you is whether hiking in hot weather will put a strain such that you can't make your average.

RF_ace
05-27-2013, 18:47
Heat can be a killer

BostonBlue
05-27-2013, 18:51
Harper's Ferry has a great (and cheap) train service.

slbirdnerd
05-27-2013, 19:35
Have a great hike, Falcon, and thank you for your years of service in education!

attroll
05-29-2013, 00:28
Moved this topic/thread to the "General" forums.

q-tip
05-29-2013, 08:16
I hiked form Springer to Harpers Ferry in 2010 at 54. The big thing for me in VA was getting on the trail by 6 am in the heat. I could get half my hike done before it really got unbearable. I also had my light summer gear saved several pounds. By the time I got to Harper's, I was done, but my goal was to the 1,000mi. Good luck, doing the AT walk one to the three most difficult thing I have done in my life, but worth every step.

Razor
05-29-2013, 08:48
I crossed Virgina when it was hot also . Got up early and hiked till mid day and then took a siesta for 3-4 hours and then walked till 8-9 in the evening. Worked well-Found some places to rest out of the heat in some creative places. It was a different and fun way to do it!

moldy
05-29-2013, 20:01
Once again, These people are all wrong. If you hike as you say, you will be North of Duncannon PA. The reason, you have not yet met the "mile monster". He lives inside of you and 10 to 15 miles per day won't last much past the first week. You won't like it in the long run and your daily effort will slowly increase until 18's and 20's will be more your style. By the end of the first month the mileage will become more on your mind. Then you will become more obsessed just as the trail becomes a little easier and the daily amount of sunlight will invite you to use your newly acquired trail legs.

Blissful
05-29-2013, 20:47
It is usually very hot and humid, but so far this year has been very unusual in the weather dept. in VA. Still, plan accordingly.

fredmugs
05-30-2013, 07:26
Once again, These people are all wrong. If you hike as you say, you will be North of Duncannon PA. The reason, you have not yet met the "mile monster". He lives inside of you and 10 to 15 miles per day won't last much past the first week. You won't like it in the long run and your daily effort will slowly increase until 18's and 20's will be more your style. By the end of the first month the mileage will become more on your mind. Then you will become more obsessed just as the trail becomes a little easier and the daily amount of sunlight will invite you to use your newly acquired trail legs.

I'm a mile monster but I/we seem to be in the minority on this site. I would say shoot for 10 miles by noon and have Harpers Ferry as your end goal. You'll have plenty of time to think about it and adjust as you go.

Ox97GaMe
05-30-2013, 21:44
Hot Springs to Pearisburg still has some challenging hiking, especially for someone who is just starting a long hike. You should anticipate needing the first month to get your 'trail legs'. Plan on 70-80 miles per week the first month. After that, the terrain will get better and you will find that you are doing 100-120 (or more) miles per week. Most of the thru hikers are completing 700-750 miles in their first 2 months (hiking 6 days + town stop each week). The one advantage that you will have is that you are hiking with maximum number of daylight hours. You can start hiking around 7:30 am and/or hike until 9:00 pm. 14 available hours of daylight, averaging 2.0 miles/hr, with 4-5 rest breaks will allow for some relatively easy 18-20 mile days if you choose.
On my thru hike, I took breaks during the heat of the day (1-4pm). This would consist of taking a town stop, napping at a shelter, or taking a refreshing swim in a pond/lake/stream.

As far as where you might end up... Hot Springs is near mile 300, Harpers Ferry is at mile 1000. That is a good target. If the hike is going well, you might be able to get into Pennsylvania.

Have a great hike. Relax and enjoy the trip.