PDA

View Full Version : Gear list... Need cheap options to drop weight!?!

Hawkeye73
05-27-2013, 23:57
Below is a gear list. I'm pretty set on the big 4 based on expenses, but very open critique on all other options. Pretty sure I'm going to replace the camelbak and nalgene with 2 - 32 oz gatorade bottles. Anything else I missing? My hiking partner has a water filtration system and a jetboil for quick cooks and the plan is for me to use the whisperlite for dinners. Planning on carrying anywhere from3-6 days food at 2 lbs. per day. I would love to get my total weight down to 30 lbs.

Pack
Brand
Weight (oz)

Backpack
Osprey Kestral 48

Trash Compactor Bag

Shelter

Hammock w/tarp
Hennessy Explorer Asym Classic

Aluminum stakes x 4

Sleeping

Synthetic Bag w/ compression sack
North Face Cat's Meow 20o

Close cell foam pad
ozark trail

Kitchen

Gas Stove
MSR Whisperlite

Fuel Bottle 11 oz
MSR

Fuel Pump
MSR

Aluminum pot with lid and handle
MSR

1 liter water bottle
Nalgene

3 oz bladder
Camelbak

spork
light my fire

Lighter
Bic

3 oz flip top bottle x 2 for olive oil (filled)
igo

Go-toob for Dr. Bonners

Sil-nylon Food bag
Sea to Summit

Garbage sack x 2
Trash bag

Throw bag with biner

50' Paracord

Clothing in pack

Bandana x 2

Long-sleeve shirt

Camp Sandal
Croc Classic

Convertible pants

Rain Jacket
Nike Fit Storm

Crew Sock

e

Hygeine

Baby Wipes
15 in zip

Floss
Oral B Glide

First aid kit

toothbrush
oralb

Extras/others

Book
Sand County Almanac

Journal
Rite-in-Rain

Mechanical Pencil
Bic

Cell Phone

Headlamp
Tikka Plus

Pocket Knife
Case xx

Chap Stick with Holder

Camera with case

Various Biners

Two Freezer bags

AT Guide Book
AWOL

Cell Phone Charger

Camera Charger

BuckeyeBill
05-28-2013, 01:01
No Water purification? Pocket Rocket Stove 3 oz or acoho stove 1 oz. Just use the pages you need from the guide 1 oz.

BuckeyeBill
05-28-2013, 01:03
I am saying this in case your [artner gets se[erated or quits

DLP
05-28-2013, 01:13
What is your total weight listed? Are you planning a thru hike? I'd carry my own aqua mira. I would not count on being with a partner 100% of the time for 2000 miles. You can share water filter for a weekend or a week... but 4 or 5 months is a long time to hit every water source together.

DLP
05-28-2013, 01:28
I cut the hood and zippers off my synthetic bag. Took a fleece cap and I never used the zipper. Depends on time of year you are planning. Also depends how new and attached to the bag you are. But you might be able to cut 6 to 12 oz off of it. Also seems like could get a lighter or smaller pad for little $$$.... but I've never done a hamock.

You can always do a shakedown hike. Even 3 nights might be enough to have you cutting up your stuff. :)

DLP
05-28-2013, 01:48
Razor blade vs knife or knife with no case.

Camera with a phone, or a cell phone with a camera, would save on weight of electronics and chargers. I don't take crocs or books, but that is me. You might carry them the whole way and you always have the option to get rid of stuff.

Sorry for multiple posts. Not on a computer and editing is difficult and it is late and thoughts come one at a time, sometimes.

q-tip
05-28-2013, 06:53
I found, it cost's hundreds to shave pounds, however it costs thousands to shave ounces... IMHO

Don H
05-28-2013, 08:27
Season and location play a big role in choosing the right gear.
You should be able to cut your weight in half but we can't make recommendations without specifics on your hike.

fredmugs
05-28-2013, 09:11
No Water purification? Pocket Rocket Stove 3 oz or acoho stove 1 oz. Just use the pages you need from the guide 1 oz.

+1 on the pocket rocket. 8 ounce savings
A $119 Kindle Paperwhite weighs 7.5 ounces and you can put all your books on it. At least 10 ounces there.
You can go lighter than those Crocs.

swjohnsey
05-28-2013, 09:28
Get rid of the Crocs and bear bag stuff. You can save 3 oz by going to Simmerlite.

Hawkeye73
05-28-2013, 09:31
Sorry, was not clear enough about this one. I will be starting at Rockfish Gap, VA, (SOBO) on June 11th and hopefully going to Springer. Total weight listed is 18.75 lbs. That will go up a bit as I have not weighed all things yet. Don't have a good enough phone to do a combo phone/camera. The bag is a bit heavy I know, and I'll be looking to get a new one sometime soon, but right now I'm trying to avoid bigger expenses to save money for the actual hike. I will probably get some aquamira. I'm going to cut the pad down a bit so that will shave a bit of weight. I'm quite the newbie when I comes to longer hikes.

Ktaadn
05-28-2013, 09:59
Since you don't want to spend a bunch of money on lighter gear, the easiest way to save weight is by just leaving some stuff at home. I would leave the book, the crocs, the cooking gear (go no-cook), nalgene (as you mentioned), and half of the guidebook at home.

Good luck on your hike.

DLP
05-28-2013, 11:50
Crew socks... it is shocking how heavy some socks can be. Also wash your socks before you go. My husband bought some bamboo fiber hiking socks and the dumb things literally take longer than jeans to dry. No exaggeration. They are the LAST thing dry in the dryer. The package says that they are wicking and hiking socks. I don't think so!

19 lbs is pretty good to start, I think. And like I said, you will have opportunities to send stuff home or throw things away if you decide, "I am not carrying this stupid XYZ one more stupid mile!"

The Tahoe Rim Trail was my first "long" hike ("long" being relative and subjective). I ended up throwing away my tent poles and tying the tent to a tree... but it was a $20 Kmart tent. :) Switched to a silnylon 12 oz tarp and bug net after that.

Have fun and you will learn a lot from this trip about what you want to carry and what you do not.

Hawkeye73
05-28-2013, 23:57
Thanks for all the help. I cut out 1.5 lbs today. Finally upgraded to a iphone so no more camera. Cut 5 oz off the pad. Gatorade bottles cut quite a bit out. Debating still on the reading book. I have not weighed my second pair of socks yet, if they are much heavier I'll buy another pair of the darn tough no shows. They are pretty comfy anyway. With the stuff I have not weighed yet, this should get me to a base weight around 19 lbs I'm guessing.
I do have a steripen I could take for water purification. Anybody have luck with those on longer hikes?
Any other suggestions on what to add or take out would be great. Again just trying to make last minute small changes if I can. I fully expect to be shipping stuff home during the hike. Thanks again.

Chubbs4U
05-29-2013, 02:28
download a book app on you iphone and use that instead of a book.

DLP
05-29-2013, 10:51
Cutting 1.5 lbs is significant! Have a great time.

Make sure you check back at the end of your hike and tell us your ending weight. :)

DLP
05-29-2013, 11:04
PS... I watched a few installments of the TNT video blog on YouTube. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?95579-Thru-Hiker-Video-Blog-Recommendations

It is a couple in their late 50's and she started with 26 lbs and he had about 35 (including food and water). So you are doing good! Could be much worse. Keep an open mind about taking scissors to that sleeping bag and turning it into a quilt, especially if you are considering replacing it. :)

Venchka
05-29-2013, 11:22
The place to cut 2 pounds is the Cat's Meow. A 1 pound bag (Western Mountaineering HighLite) or similar weight quilt would get you the most bang (lost weight) for your bucks. You will never cut 2 pounds from the Cat's Meow unless you cut it in half. Not sure which half you could do without.
Good luck! Have fun!

Wayne

Swordpen
05-29-2013, 12:25
No book (get a Kindle 8 oz, or download books to you phone).
No crocs
No Nalgene
No case for knife (bring a folding knife)
I wouldn't personally bring a Steripen - heavy (altho I have one but its the second one, as the first failed). I'd bring a Sawyer filter & Aqua Mira.
No Canister stove, use an alcohol stove.
No paracord, use the Spectra (0.5 oz for 50'. Around $12.95, I think Zpack has it among other places).

Your Hammock is heavy! My double walled tent is 33 oz for 2 people with 8 stakes.

Just some thoughts. HTH

Double Wide
05-29-2013, 19:50
Your Hammock is heavy! My double walled tent is 33 oz for 2 people with 8 stakes.

Just some thoughts. HTH

What kind of tent do you use???

BuckeyeBill
05-29-2013, 20:18

He's a hammock hanger, doesn't use a tent.

BostonBlue
05-29-2013, 20:40
This is really gram weenieing (how DO you spell that??) but how about a MINI BIC LIGHTER? That will actually save you .4 oz! And definitely put your book on your phone.

These 2 things alone will save you almost a pound!

Dogwood
05-29-2013, 21:01
You advised against this but I'm going to go ahead anyway. Those BIG 4 pieces is where the biggest wt savings are going to occur. I'm thinking like Venchka. A 20* TNF Cats Meow is too heavy. Could lose up to 2 lbs right there. You'll lose 6 +oz just by going to a 20* down bag. 20* bag is too hot anyhow for June-late Aug-mid Sept AT NOBO. Pack 1.5 lbs for starters without being a gram weenie. Ozark Trail cut that 15 oz in half easily with a different CCF or at least cut this one down. I think you also got the heaviest or second heaviest hammock Hennessy makes. Can easily ditch a pound or more on a different Hennessey hammock. Whisperlite is functional for MUCH higher elev than the AT and for its multi fuel capability but could easily ditch 9 oz there with a MSR micro Pocket Rocket or equivalent or DIY alchy stove. Book is heavy. AM drops.

Venchka
05-29-2013, 22:06
Heresy alert!
No clue how much the iPhone cost. A one pound bag or quilt would have been a better investment for your immediate needs, and either will outlast a phone.
A pre-paid, small, light phone for emergency use only would have saved money and ounces.
Leave the book at home. Read your surroundings.
Condense the Guide Book to key road crossings, food sources and/or post offices, just the essentials. Heck, you can't possibly get lost. Is a Guide Book really needed? Think about it. There are only 2 directions on the AT: GA and ME. Just hike toward the moss on the trees. Georgia will be right around the next bend.
Cut down a few highway maps. Tape them together. Connect the dots. Done.
An accurate pedometer in your pocket calibrated to your stride and reading out in miles is the best dead reckoning navigation device you can carry. About $25 and 1 ounce.
Whoa. I really drifted off there. Back to your regular program.
Leave your toys at home.

Wayne

Dogwood
05-29-2013, 22:33
Minor but to save $, IF I carry a cell ph, I would buy a double min TracPh for $10 at WallyWorld and a $30 120 min card PLUS get 60-80 mins added with a TracPH Promo Code(listed on line on in the paperwork when you buy their ph)for about 320 mins total. If you really use a cell ph for emergencies or at THs to call ahead for a shuttle, Hiker Hostel, Motel res 300 mins can last ya a thru-hike. Total for a cell ph $40. Add mins if needed. Nex10 does something similar. Leave ph OFF unless calling someone! Bounce the charger ahead about every 3-4 wks. Use the internet in town. Take the do re mi saved compared to a Iphone and buy a lighter wt iso burner or put it towards lowering the wt of one of the Big 4. Get a paperback or rip out some pages like 50 at a a time from a book. Bounce the rest ahead. You may find you're not reading as much you might think you will on a thru

Venchka
05-29-2013, 22:38
There is a 1.6 pound Montbel bag for sale in the Selling Gear forum here at Whiteblaze.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?95618-Montbell-U-L-SUPER-SPIRAL-DOWN-HUGGER-3

Wayne

Swordpen
05-29-2013, 22:56

I am using the Golite Imogene UL2. I weighed it on a digital scale, when I got it, it was 2#. I then bought titanium stakes which 8 of them weigh 1.2 oz to be exact (& ditched the stakes & stuff bag, it comes with).

I don't use a ground cloth, but if I did, I'd use one of those Mylar space blankets (cheap, ultralight & cheap to replace. This is even on hard ground with scattered desert cactus spines, so far, I've been lucky I guess).

I did a YouTube video (crappy, but it was my first video, but you'll get the idea, nonetheless. It's this Imogene vs a Copper Spur UL2 . There's 2 videos. 1 is with the fly on, part 2, is with the fly off).

At this point I'm lovin the Imogene, its double walled, & a freestanding. I also have a Lightheart sil nylon solo, it's really nice, but absolutely has to be staked out (which for me, is a pain as I am always camping in the desert, & the ground is hard as rock).

HTH

BostonBlue
05-30-2013, 01:09
I am using the Golite Imogene UL2. I weighed it on a digital scale, when I got it, it was 2#. I then bought titanium stakes which 8 of them weigh 1.2 oz to be exact (& ditched the stakes & stuff bag, it comes with).

I don't use a ground cloth, but if I did, I'd use one of those Mylar space blankets (cheap, ultralight & cheap to replace. This is even on hard ground with scattered desert cactus spines, so far, I've been lucky I guess).

I did a YouTube video (crappy, but it was my first video, but you'll get the idea, nonetheless. It's this Imogene vs a Copper Spur UL2 . There's 2 videos. 1 is with the fly on, part 2, is with the fly off).

At this point I'm lovin the Imogene, its double walled, & a freestanding. I also have a Lightheart sil nylon solo, it's really nice, but absolutely has to be staked out (which for me, is a pain as I am always camping in the desert, & the ground is hard as rock).

HTH

i am always surprised that more people don't mention the titanium stakes because you can really save a lot of weight.

DLP
05-30-2013, 10:00
I don't know anybody who is unhappy with an iPhone. Plus, it is a multitasker. I don't have one, but I actually think of it more of a camera that also has a phone. You can put books on it. You can take pictures of the parts you can't easily see to look for ticks. You can use it in town to surf the web and buy lighter things and have them shipped ahead, should you wish. :) Yeah, they are kind of expensive... oh well, we all spend money on different stuff.

You'll figure out what you want to give up and what you would carry to the ends of the earth. I think that with <19 lb starting base weight and being 30ish years old and your first long hike... you will have a great time!

flemdawg1
05-30-2013, 14:50
You can take pictures of the parts you can't easily see to look for ticks.

Didn't Brett Favre get in trouble for that?

hoppy from GA
05-30-2013, 19:43
If you are the least bit out of shape or overweight, then lay off the cookies and quarter pounders for cheap weight loss. Can't beat the price, either.

pelenaka
05-30-2013, 22:18

HTH

Can I get a link to your vids ?

Swordpen
05-30-2013, 22:54
Here you go part 1

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZjzNxzhS17w

Part 2

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7B-p6ez06yY

Dogwood
05-31-2013, 04:54
Thread drifting for sec. Swordpen, you said, "I am using the Golite Imogene UL2. I weighed it on a digital scale, when I got it, it was 2#. I then bought titanium stakes which 8 of them weigh 1.2 oz to be exact (& ditched the stakes & stuff bag, it comes with)."

What EXACTLY weighed 2# because GL lists this shelter at 2 lbs 6 oz? Are you saying the 8 stakes and stuff bag the tent comes with weighed 6 oz? ??? Hard to digest that if so for GL.

Tuckahoe
05-31-2013, 07:12
Its not all that important, but since its come up a couple times, I'll point out that the listed knife is infact a folding knife made by CASE, not that the OP Iis carrying a knife in a case. Case knives are a pretty classic, you might even say old school manufacturer of pocket knives. http://www.wrcase.com

Razor blade vs knife or knife with no case.

Camera with a phone, or a cell phone with a camera, would save on weight of electronics and chargers. I don't take crocs or books, but that is me. You might carry them the whole way and you always have the option to get rid of stuff.

Sorry for multiple posts. Not on a computer and editing is difficult and it is late and thoughts come one at a time, sometimes.

No book (get a Kindle 8 oz, or download books to you phone).
No crocs
No Nalgene
No case for knife (bring a folding knife)
I wouldn't personally bring a Steripen - heavy (altho I have one but its the second one, as the first failed). I'd bring a Sawyer filter & Aqua Mira.
No Canister stove, use an alcohol stove.
No paracord, use the Spectra (0.5 oz for 50'. Around $12.95, I think Zpack has it among other places).

Just some thoughts. HTH

DLP
05-31-2013, 10:39
Didn't Brett Favre get in trouble for that? Him and many others! :)

Thanks Tuckahoe on the Case knife brand. Not a big knife shopper here.

Swordpen
05-31-2013, 10:53
Thanks, am not a blade aficionado here either, so had not heard about the Case brand.

DLP
05-31-2013, 11:16
Thanks, am not a blade aficionado here either, so had not heard about the Case brand. It is fodder for an Abbott and Costello skit. "It's not a knife case, it's a Case knife..."

tylert27
05-31-2013, 12:29
You said that your friend is taking a Jetboil stove. If that is sufficient for both of you, then why not just leave your MSR Whisperlite at home? If you wanted to cut about 6.5 ounces on your sleeping pad, you could get the Klymit Inertia X frame sleeping pad (https://excursionoutfitters.com/shop/klymit-inertia-x-frame/) which weights 9.1 ounces as opposed to the Ozark Trail Close cell foam pad which weighs 15.7 ounces. The book you're taking weighs 9 ounces, I probably wouldn't take a book. I know of many people who have hiked the Appalachian trail and they quickly realize that they aren't going to really read. By the time you are done hiking, you will be so tired that you will just want to go to sleep. I probably wouldn't take the AT Guide book either. You will meet a lot of people on the trail who can help direct you where you want to go.

Swordpen
06-01-2013, 00:38
Thread drifting for sec. Swordpen, you said, "I am using the Golite Imogene UL2. I weighed it on a digital scale, when I got it, it was 2#. I then bought titanium stakes which 8 of them weigh 1.2 oz to be exact (& ditched the stakes & stuff bag, it comes with)."

What EXACTLY weighed 2# because GL lists this shelter at 2 lbs 6 oz? Are you saying the 8 stakes and stuff bag the tent comes with weighed 6 oz? ??? Hard to digest that if so for GL.

Reweighed a couple tents on a different digital scale I just bought:

1. Golite with guy lines, poles, fly + it's seam sealed (standard) = 2# 11oz. This is weighing MORE than Golite says.

2. Lightheart Solo (tent + integrated sewn in fly + guy lines it comes with + it's seam sealed + 2 poles they sell for this tent = 2# 14 oz. Without the poles (ie: you use hiking poles instead): 27 oz (so those poles sold by Lightheart are pretty heavy IMO, 1#3 oz). I actually wish I could find carbon 2 carbon fiber poles that weigh less that fit the Lightheart Solo.

(neither weight includes a stuff sack, or my titanium stakes, as many ppl can find a 1 ounce stuff sack).

so in a complicated way, you are right.

I "blue blaze" a lot, so I will leave my tent up for a day or two while hiking in the vicinity. And, in that case I'd like to use at least 1 of my poles to hike.

2. I hike mainly in the desert, & it's a rough waterless environment <- this desert, is uneven & mountainous. The ground here is rock hard, 365/24/7. Yeah, it sucks, but that's where I live. It's also very difficult to drive a stake in the ground (I've bent tent stakes trying to get them in), so I'm using the Imogene, because its free standing & easy to pitch & bigger.

HTH

MuddyWaters
06-01-2013, 12:47
problem with iphone, is battery life sucks if you leave it on, and startup time is horribly slow if you turn it off.
Using it for a camera, and trying to leave it off will have you buying a real camera the first chance you get.

JansportD2
06-01-2013, 14:44
Replace the stock hammock suspension with whoopie and 1" wide tree huggers.

Del Q
06-01-2013, 20:51
I don't bring extra camp shoes, feet are filthy anyway, soak in creeks down-stream, wear my low top hiking shoes

Also do not cook anymore, if there is a fire might heat some food up........

Photocopies only, no maps, drop ship future pages, use back for journal

Hawkeye73
06-02-2013, 23:08
Going to leave the book I decided. Cut the pad in half already. Yes you are right about it being a brand of knife, not even sure I'll need it but its more of a nostalgic thing for me. As far as the stove, we wanted to bring it for nights were we did a little more extensive cooking. Maybe that is silly, and I know it might be one thing that I send home quickly. I will chop up the guide book and only take the pages I need and leave the others in a bounce box. Thank you so so much. This is really helpful stuff, I think this next year my plasma donation money is going strictly to lighter gear:D.

Dogwood
06-03-2013, 00:01
Damn, I hope I don't get any Hawkeye blood at my next transfusion.:D

q-tip
06-03-2013, 11:20
The absolute cheapest way to cut weight is go on a diet. lost 35 lbs. before my 1,000 walk. cost-$0.

Hawkeye73
06-03-2013, 12:18
The absolute cheapest way to cut weight is go on a diet. lost 35 lbs. before my 1,000 walk. cost-$0.

Yeah, Trying to lose a last minute few lbs, but probably going to start the trail at 185, which stinks, was hoping to start at 170. OH well....

Venchka
06-03-2013, 17:33
170 pounds in 30 days shouldn't be too difficult. Don't put it all back on at The Diner in Hot Springs.

Wayne

Mfrenchy
06-03-2013, 19:38
I also recommend going "no cook" it saves a ton of hassle and cuts down on a considerable amount of gear. Try it on your short hikes and you might be surprised how easy it is. I carried the Steripen on my thru-hike last year. In the beginning I used it on about 80% of the water, by the end I didn't use it all. Just make sure to use your bandanna to "filter" out the little critters that will end up in your bottle afterwards. Also, because of the angle of the gatorade/powerade bottles, it can be difficult to get water out of a trickling spring. I had an empty peanut butter jar I used to fill my powerade bottle, it also doubled as my food container for oatmeal and coffee.

Good Luck,
Frenchy

Swordpen
06-04-2013, 00:01
"Also, because of the angle of the gatorade/powerade bottles, it can be difficult to get water out of a trickling spring. I had an empty peanut butter jar I used to fill my powerade bottle, it also doubled as my food container for oatmeal and coffee."

Another thing to consider trying is: I cut off the bottom of a Smartwater bottle & fashioned the side as a bluntish "scoop" to get water out of those all too common stream trickles.

Easy to do with any knife, even a tiny Swiss Army Classic. I put my Aqua Mira bottle in it when carrying this.