PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Spend Some Money

ivanputski
07-15-2005, 15:18
I have the HH using it in the summer with no problem(bag and pad as needed). Looking at at late March NOBO thru hike. Would my money be better spent on a JRB under quilt or just get a tent for the first part of the trip. I have used both on trips in the summer but would have to get a new tent as mine would be to heavey for an extended trip.

Will a 15 degree bag and underquilt be enough? I could carry a pad as well if needed.

SGT Rock
07-15-2005, 16:13
Personally I would get the quilt, but that is me.

humvee
08-13-2005, 23:46
I was trying to make the same choice as you before I started my thru-hike this year. I was going to start with a tent and switch out to the HH when it warmed up. I got the JRB underquilt around March of this year and tried it out a few cold new england nights, stayed extreemly warm even in a blizard that hit and dumped a foot of snow. I started hiking in GA in may and have slept in the HH with the underquilt everynight but in the smokies (damn rangers made me sleep in the shelters) and one nasty night on roan MT. It has been the best gear choice i made before my hike. I have replaced about everything i carry, even the pack (on my 4th) but the HH and JRB underquilt have never failed me. I even sent my sleeping pad home after the first month because I never used it. go with the quilt and you wont regret it.. I am still hiking (on a 3 day break in CT at home) and its going to come with me all the way to maine.

Just Jeff
08-14-2005, 00:15
Another vote for the underquilt...much more comfortable than pads.

Here are some pics of the April hangout in Hot Springs, NC...several folks with JRB underquilts in the snow (light snow, but still snow...). http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HikingPictures.html

Jack, humvee's post sounds like a testimonial for your website!

Jeff

MedicineMan
08-14-2005, 06:17
instead of carrying a bulky pad for cold insurance carry an extra underquilt...The Jacks just introduced a lighter model that could serve along with the heavier model for really cold times.
'Pads' are for women...just say no to the pad

Jonas4321
08-15-2005, 12:58
Thanks for the invitation to flame, MedicineMan (quoting- 'Pads' are for women...just say no to the pad). I will be civil, though.

I have never used an 'official' underquilt (just rigged sleeping bags underneath with a variety of successes), but I do most of my hammock camping when the nighttime temps are less than 50F, and I have been comfortable at -1F without underquilts. How? Closed-cell pads and appropriate clothing/sleeping gear choices. I think it depends on your circumstances as to whether or not pads are necessary, or even desireable, but to dismiss them out-of-hand as a poor choice is, well, not great advice imo.

Closed cell pads may not be as comfortable as not using them, and they may be tricky to keep under you (though there are LOTS of options to correct that), but they do give you simple, inexpensive, waterproof, durable insulation, at R values that are hard to beat. Underquilts get great press, so consider them too.

I am seriously considering making a down-filled air mattress a la Gardenville (search the archives for his detailed postings), so you may want to look into that as well.

Hang your own hammock, and test everything before you hit the trail.