PDA

View Full Version : Pondering a side trip to Gettysburg

TwoSpirits
05-28-2013, 12:57
I am planning a SOBO thru-hike for next year (leaving Katahdin first week of June), and don't think I can resist the idea of taking a few days off the trail to visit Gettysburg. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience doing this? (i.e., best place to leave the trail, any transportation options, places to stay in Gettysburg, etc.) I'm kind of a history geek, and imagine that I could easily keep myself happy exploring for 3 days.

I realize this is a pretty vague question, but any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be appreciated.

max patch
05-28-2013, 13:04
I spent a day in Gettysburg during my thru.

Easy hitch both ways from Caledonia State Park on US 30. I stayed at an AYH Hostel that has since closed down so I can't give any specific lodging advice.

Stalking Tortoise
05-28-2013, 13:04
When you reach Caledonia State Park on Route 30, you're just down the road from Gettysburg. That's probably your best spot to leave the AT. As far as transportation options and places to stay, someone else will have to give you some tips.

Stalking Tortoise
05-28-2013, 13:07
I will add that Gettysburg Eddie's is a great place to grab a meal. My family and I stop in there once a year then walk down the street to Kilwin's ice cream & chocolates for dessert.

Deacon
05-28-2013, 13:15
My wife and I visited the National Historic Battleground Visitors Center in Gettysburg last summer. That place is awesome. Well worth the side trip.

Lone Wolf
05-28-2013, 19:56
I am planning a SOBO thru-hike for next year (leaving Katahdin first week of June), and don't think I can resist the idea of taking a few days off the trail to visit Gettysburg. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience doing this? (i.e., best place to leave the trail, any transportation options, places to stay in Gettysburg, etc.) I'm kind of a history geek, and imagine that I could easily keep myself happy exploring for 3 days.

I realize this is a pretty vague question, but any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be appreciated.
do it. you won't regret it

mountain squid
05-28-2013, 20:19
Gettysburg National Military Park (http://www.nps.gov/gett/index.htm) is a very good trip and this year is the 150th Anniversary . . . however . . . . it is mostly a driving park. If you haven't already considered it, I would suggest getting a rental car to fully enjoy the park.

Of course, by the time you get there you'll have your 'hiking legs' . . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Chair-man
05-28-2013, 20:45
Great place to visit, even Sallie has her own monument. http://www.nycivilwar.us/sallie.html

TD55
05-28-2013, 21:02
Two motels that I have used are Colton and Three Crowns. Good locations if you are on foot or bike. Close to lots of stuff. Lowest prices also. About 70 or 80 bucks with tax, but it's been a few years, so check. Some campgrounds there if you want to spend less, fancy ones that will cost about half the price of a motel, but most have cool stuff that comes with the price (showers, pools, laundry, store, etc.). Finaly, check into bike rentals. I've never rented one there but run into folks who were on rentals while biking myself.

coach lou
05-28-2013, 21:04
My family and I just spent 4 days there. The first time there was coming from a hike that ended in Caledonia SP. Gettysburg, you will be hardpressed to find inexpensive lodging. You will find good food! Camping can be found outside of town. My recommendation for a short stay is, 1- Go to the visitor center. The museum and movie are really good. The cyclorama is ok. You will be able to get your berings better. 2- There are a number of tour bus and guide availabilities. Not having a car, would hinder your getting the full impact of the entire battle. The tours know how to do it, and they will tell you what your looking at. You can rent a car, but you need the 'tour guide CD'. It was very informative and you can go at your own pace....but it took us 2 days that way. I just feel in your situation, I think you will get more out of it. If you need any specifics, PM me and I may beable to give you more info.