PDA

View Full Version : Strangest year...

Lion King
07-15-2005, 16:34
Yesterday another hiker died.
Word from North Bounders coming into Harpers Ferry, a Section hiker got hit by lightening during yesterdays storm just south of Harpers, while in the shelter...

A Northbounder(Name still unknown) was arrested leaving Harpers Ferry last night...a warrant of some kind, again, not all details in on either, but if anyone knows more, let us know.

LK

Heater
07-15-2005, 16:45
Yesterday another hiker died.
Word from North Bounders coming into Harpers Ferry, a Section hiker got hit by lightening during yesterdays storm just south of Harpers, while in the shelter...

A Northbounder(Name still unknown) was arrested leaving Harpers Ferry last night...a warrant of some kind, again, not all details in on either, but if anyone knows more, let us know.

LK
I heard that, as the police were hitting him with batons and pepper spray he was repeating "walking with freedom, walking with freedom, walking with freedom...

Later, in a statement to the press he asked if we be too much to ask if we just could all get along.

TwoForty
07-15-2005, 19:03
Did they ever catch the guy hiding near the AT in the Smokies?

Nean
07-15-2005, 21:13
You know, I am beginning to think this is one of those years. My neighbor says it is the beginning of the end. No word on the murder suspect 240. That in itself makes this a strange feeling year. Not for hikers though, 99.9% Great

Sly
07-15-2005, 21:45
My neighbor says it is the beginning of the end.

And you haven't moved yet?

There does seem to be an above number of hikers, on and off trail, dying this year. Not to worry, probably the averages just catching up.

Tin Man
07-15-2005, 22:01
You know, I am beginning to think this is one of those years. My neighbor says it is the beginning of the end. No word on the murder suspect 240. That in itself makes this a strange feeling year. Not for hikers though, 99.9% Great

Whether or not the trail has become as "civilized" as the rest of the world is open to debate, but to say it is "the beginning of the end" is a little like saying "the end is here, repent", or is that next? :confused:

Discussions that lead to a safer world are helpful. Trying to characterize this year in the hiker world as less safe than previous years does not add value or perspective. Instead, each event needs to be considered on it's own merit which could potentially lead us to recognize that as trail activity increases, so will the unfortunate incidents that characterizes what the rest of humanity faces.

Blue Jay
07-17-2005, 21:03
We live in an extremely violent society. I live in the country, but in the nearest large city, someone is shot almost every single day. I still firmly believe that if you are going to be in the United States, the AT is one of the safest places to be.

SavageLlama
07-17-2005, 22:51
There have definitely been a lot of strange things connected with the AT this year.. Anyone hear about this today in VA?

http://www.wcyb.tv/newsread.asp?newsid=5987

Amber Alert

Date 17 July 2005

The Carter County Sheriff`s Department issued a statewide child abduction amber alert tonight.
They say six-year-old Charles Dillon Johnson of Greene County was last seen around five p.m. yesterday in the Shook Branch area of Watauga Lake.
Johnson had gone on an outing to the lake with some neighbors.
Authorities say the boy walked with them to an area of the Appalachian Trail where there`s a swing to jump into the water.
The friends reportedly left Johnson behind to get drinks.
Two hikers told deputies - a short time later, the boy asked them for help to get back to the picnic area.
Johnson reportedly spoke with two men in a blue or gray Dodge Durango with a Florida tag.
Carter County authorities ask for anyone with further information to contact them.

Nean
07-17-2005, 23:06
Yes Bimmer, I think that was my neighbors next point. Seems like a nice enough man though, he can think what he wants. To him many strange years will soon follow. Others don't think this is a strange year whatsoever. Having a suspected killer in my yard makes me feel strange, hope you are not offended.

Tin Man
07-17-2005, 23:14
Nean, No offense taken. The AT is not immune to the events affecting the world around the AT. Perhaps this year is indicative of a trend of encroachment civilization is having on the AT, much like the "100 Wilderness" is less of a wilderness than it once was.

Big Guy
07-18-2005, 12:43
I understand the young boy was found today.He drown in the lake. Keep his family and friends in your prayers.

There have definitely been a lot of strange things connected with the AT this year.. Anyone hear about this today in VA?

http://www.wcyb.tv/newsread.asp?newsid=5987

Amber Alert

Date 17 July 2005

The Carter County Sheriff`s Department issued a statewide child abduction amber alert tonight.
They say six-year-old Charles Dillon Johnson of Greene County was last seen around five p.m. yesterday in the Shook Branch area of Watauga Lake.
Johnson had gone on an outing to the lake with some neighbors.
Authorities say the boy walked with them to an area of the Appalachian Trail where there`s a swing to jump into the water.
The friends reportedly left Johnson behind to get drinks.
Two hikers told deputies - a short time later, the boy asked them for help to get back to the picnic area.
Johnson reportedly spoke with two men in a blue or gray Dodge Durango with a Florida tag.
Carter County authorities ask for anyone with further information to contact them.

Nean
07-18-2005, 15:30
Those poeple who left a six year old boy behind weren't friends.

jackiebolen
07-19-2005, 21:25
Perhaps it seems like the murders/arrests/deaths on the AT happen with alarming frequency only because we've become desensitized to what happens all the time in our cities. In Vancouver, where I am now, countless prostitutes have dissapeard over the years without the public really even paying attention.

Jack Tarlin
07-19-2005, 22:40
While accidents and tragedies are always troubling, I don't feel this year is any more "unusual" than any other.....something like three to four million people a year use the A.T. and it's inevitable that some of them will suffer accidents or worse. There are, in fact, usually several fatalities of one sort or another every year on the Trail, and while none of these deaths should be minimized or slighted, it needs to be remembered that this represents a minute fraction of the folks who use the Trail. And these sad events do not mean that the Trail is in any way unsafe. More folks will be struck by lightning while boating or golfing than while hiking; there are in fact scores of more dangerous activities than backpacking. In fact, more Americans will die in their own bathrooms in any given week than have died on the A.T. in all of its existence. In short, while it's good to talk about these unfortunate incidents, (espececially so similar future incidents or accidents can perhaps be prevented), I don't think this year is any more unusual or odder than any other. Strange and unusual things happen on the Trail every year, and I really don't think 2005 deserves to be stigmatized as a "strange" year. I've hiked a good bit of the Trail this year, and have met hundreds of wonderful folks.

I think 2005 has been a great year and I don't think there's been anything strange about it.

Tin Man
07-19-2005, 23:01
Strange and unusual things happen on the Trail every year, and I really don't think 2005 deserves to be stigmatized as a "strange" year.

Jack, I agree. In any given year there are events that may appear to stand out as unique or strange, but in fact people tend to recall the most recent year as memory of previous year's events fade from memory or become ingrained as not so strange after all.

One Leg
07-19-2005, 23:13
Link to original article: http://www.wcyb.com/newsread.asp?newsid=5990

A statewide Amber Alert in Tennessee over the weekend has ended in tragedy.
The body of 6 year old Charles Dylan Johnson surfaced Monday morning in Watauga Lake.
The boy was picnicing there with friends of the family.
Authorities say his death is considered an accidental drowning.
They believe he drowned after swinging out on a rope swing.

On a lighter note:
Link to original article: http://www.wbir.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=27333

Blount County authorities say an alcohol-induced decision to try a couple of laps at the Smokey Mountain Speedway led to a strange getaway.

A police report says officers responding to a call at the speedway found Dana Marie Gragin sitting beside a pickup truck, which was on its side. Gragin told officers she wanted to drive on the race track. On her second lap, the truck went into the wall and overturned.

Deputies say Gragin smelled strongly of alcohol.

She also had a companion. He wasn't around, but his wallet was and it identified him as Dennis Maynard Kimsey, also of Maryville.

Officers were searching for him when they heard a farm tractor start. A nearby resident then reported his 40-year-old Massey-Ferguson missing.

Police searched, even calling in a helicopter, but didn't find the suspect right away.

Later Friday night, police found Kimsey at his home and arrested him. The tractor was found at the home of one of Kimsey's friends and returned to its owner.
(Pertains to the WB crowd in that this is Sgt.Rock's neck of the woods.)

Nean
07-19-2005, 23:28
I can't believe how great the hikers have been this year and last fall too!:sun Maybe its just this information highway we roam that instantly brings every bit of info out there, here to be dicussed. I can say that in my neck of the woods, which is near the trail, it has been a....creepy?.....July? I'll know more by December.
BTW, I got a good laugh at myself when I was humming that song out in the garden and realized I'd mixed some Beatles with The Moody Blues. It was the feeling I was trying to express- in a nice way.

Nean
07-19-2005, 23:42
BTW- it's so late I can't keep my threads straight, much less songs. Where is edit when you need it? Time to put my kickstand down, try again tomorrow:o

Frosty
07-20-2005, 00:37
I think the AT (and all hiking trails in general) are much safer that elsewhere. I think it is more dangerous driving to a trailhead than hiking.

That said, it does seem that 2005 is different. This does not stigmatize it, and undoubtedly the variation of incidents falls within some mathematical statistical mean deviation thingie, but do people die on the trail every year? Three people in a span of about a month on a 125 mile stretch of trail (Harpers Ferry to Duncannon)?

Surely that is not a usual annual event!

I think perhaps we get a tad defensive of the trail sometimes. There is nothing wrong with noting what happened and acknowledging, "Yes, this occurred."

digger51
07-20-2005, 00:58
These are the things I was talking about when I questioned this year on another thread. Since I am relatively new to this forum, but have been hiking on the trail for several years, I am just now hearing about these occurances. This may be common and I just didnt know because I havent been online in the trail internet sites to hear about them. All I ever heard was that nobody dies on the trail and crime was almost nonexistant. I appreciate Jack's information and his willingness to share it with us. Sometimes I wish he would write some books about the trail, his historical and technical knowledge would be great for newbie hikers to have at their fingertips. I know I wish I had had a fraction of his knowledge when I started hiking.

trailangelmary
07-20-2005, 02:22
Hi all,
I receive an alert for any news about the AT with a google alert through email. I did not hear about two of the incidents your are speaking of. I did receive the amber alert. So. does anyone have links to the lightening incident and/or the arrest?
I also think, although I am a newbie, that these things have always happened but the information highway has just informed more people.
P.S. To my good friends on the trail, why don't you write!!!

A-Train
07-20-2005, 08:53
I assumed one of the incidents was a man falling off the cliff at Annapolis Rock in Maryland.

Also a man commited suicide right near the AT and the paking area at Fox Gap/ 191 a few weeks ago. It's not an AT incident but hikers found the guy.

Also in Jersey we had a suicide at Sunrise Mt Pavilion, where a thru-hiker found the body hanging. Once again, not a thru-hiker or hiker per se, but it was on the AT.