PDA

View Full Version : Google Glass on the AT

Andrew Ferk
05-28-2013, 21:42
Back in February I participated in Google's #ifihadglass competition by posting (https://plus.google.com/u/0/100464879066934652871/posts/F99MPbwEf4J), "I would share my experience of walking 2180 miles on the Appalachian Trail #ifihadglass". Google accepted my submission and today I was finally sent instructions for ordering a pair. If you don't know what Google Glass is, check it out (http://www.google.com/glass/start/what-it-does/). The sticker price on them right now is at $1500 + tax + travel to New York or California to pick them up. They weigh about 1.5 oz, the frames are titanium, and some guy did wear them in the shower, so they seem to be at least some form of water resistant.

Obviously, this probably seems like a complete waste of money and probably provide little to no use on the AT. I'm about 95% in that camp. But than there's this tech/geek side of me that say, YES GET THEM, be THAT GUY, the first guy to do an AT thru-hike with Google Glass. So, does anyone want to become a sponsor of any videos or images I take with them on the AT? $1500 :)

chief
05-28-2013, 23:54
Why would you need a sponsor, your employers are gonna pay you to work while hiking, right?

Rasty
05-29-2013, 00:26
Are you asking for money from us?

Andrew Ferk
05-29-2013, 01:11
Are you asking for money from us?
Come on! What kind of person do you think I am? I was just on whiteblaze's donation page today looking to see how I could donate (I want my own avatar). It was more of a hypothetical request for sponsorship.

I'm just so torn between the obvious don't do it and the tech hungry fool deep inside of me. I could record the mice crawling over my face.

HikerMom58
05-29-2013, 06:25
Come on! What kind of person do you think I am? I was just on whiteblaze's donation page today looking to see how I could donate (I want my own avatar). It was more of a hypothetical request for sponsorship.

I'm just so torn between the obvious don't do it and the tech hungry fool deep inside of me. I could record the mice crawling over my face.

Andrew... I don't know about this glass for the AT but you should def. get your own avatar on WB. It's 10 bucks. :)

BostonBlue
05-29-2013, 06:31
I'm a Geek Freak too and they definitely look cool. However, the first tumble (and you will have one) and these babies will be toast.

Best way to get donations? Go to www.kickstarter.com and appeal to your friends.

jjchgo
05-29-2013, 06:53
I'm a Geek Freak too and they definitely look cool. However, the first tumble (and you will have one) and these babies will be toast.

Best way to get donations? Go to www.kickstarter.com (http://www.kickstarter.com) and appeal to your friends.

i would tend to agree. at $1500 i would be scared to wear these walking down the street. now if google wants to sponsor you w/ a free pair i would say go far and i cant wait to follow along.

yellowsirocco
05-29-2013, 07:50

Best way to get donations? Go to www.kickstarter.com (http://www.kickstarter.com) and appeal to your friends.

Kickstarter is not for personal wants. It is for trying to build a product and start a business.

treesloth
05-29-2013, 13:00
So, lemme get this straight. Google held a 'competition', for which the 'winners' would have to pay $1,500 to get their Glass product.... and they won't even mail them? whiskey tango foxtrot........ I don't even know where to start with this one. Anyways, it's a neat idea about potentially doing a thru hike with them Andrew. But for the purposes of this competition, I'd have thought that Google might've made it a bit easier for you to procure them? But what do I know.

Andrew Ferk
05-29-2013, 13:37
So, lemme get this straight. Google held a 'competition', for which the 'winners' would have to pay $1,500 to get their Glass product.... and they won't even mail them? whiskey tango foxtrot........ I don't even know where to start with this one. Anyways, it's a neat idea about potentially doing a thru hike with them Andrew. But for the purposes of this competition, I'd have thought that Google might've made it a bit easier for you to procure them? But what do I know.
You're absolutely right. I'm not so sure why they are $1500. I read that a tech team dissected the Glass, and it's about $200 worth of parts. When you go pick up the Glass itself, I heard they provide a very professional service where they fit them to your face and teach you how to use them. I believe they were trying to pick developers and ambassadors that can develop for or showcase the product. Essentially, you are paying $1500+ to be a beta user. I've received developer kits of past Google products (such as Google TV), but it was free and they mailed it to me. So yep, this seems to be a little out of the ordinary for Google.

As for the durability of Google Glass, I have yet to hear of any that have broken. There are videos of Glass being used during hockey, skydiving, snowboarding, etc. Because this is Google's initial release of the product to the world, I don't know why Google would want me to take these on the AT if they weren't built for the job. Obviously, I would do my best to spread the word that these broke because they took a simple tumble. Google actually provided me with a # to call to get more details, so I will probably give it a call to see if I can get a rep discuss with me the durability.

BostonBlue
05-29-2013, 13:37
Kickstarter is not for personal wants. It is for trying to build a product and start a business.

Kickstarter can be used in numerous ways and I have donated to at least 10+. I assumed that he would know that he would need to make videos or use this in a manner to justify it to his sponsors.

Astro
05-29-2013, 13:50

Google obviously enjoys being a wealthy company, and want to keep it that way. :rolleyes:

BostonBlue
05-29-2013, 14:12
Andrew - As one geek to another: You NEED those glasses! There are people out there willing to kill to try them out! LOL. Keep us posted!

max patch
05-29-2013, 14:16
Put em on your expense report.

Andrew Ferk
05-29-2013, 14:33
Put em on your expense report.
If I do end up working on the trail, I would be looking for the contractee to pay for the hours I work and my employer to pay for a daily stipend on the days of work. So in response to what chief said at the start of this topic, my employer is going to pay me to work, not hike :) But because I won't have rent and I'll be living below my means, my income will be enough to pay for my hike. And in response to the expense report, there won't be one for me to fill out. But maybe I could request an increase in my hourly rate, but I think that would be tough to do if the employer is going to pay a stipend.

Ktaadn
05-29-2013, 14:40
Would you be broadcasting live video? Like "The Truman Show" on the AT?

We could all check in thoughout the day.

What's he doing now? Ummm, looks like he's walking.
What's he doing now? Eating.
What's he doing now? Walking again.

It would be fantastic entertainment!

RCBear
05-29-2013, 15:30

It's kinda like the Dolce Gabana (sp?) Gold plated razor phone. Hype it, limit the ability to procure it, hang an insane price tag on it, and sho nuff, you'll have people paying to be "exclusive".

:)

RCBear
05-29-2013, 15:33
Course I type this from my stupid expensive Galaxy note 2 that I told myself I couldn't live without :)

Mags
05-29-2013, 15:59
Google wants you to pay $1500 for the 'privilege' of testing their product, publicizing it and helping to gain acceptance of it on a wider level?

Bridge. Brooklyn. For. Sale.

Miner
05-30-2013, 00:13
You don't even want to know how many cracked Iphone screens I saw or was told about by the owner on the AT last year. Now granted Iphone screens were notorious for breaking anyway and I didn't seen near as many damaged android phones. I also had my eye glasses fall a few times as did others. Fortunately, they didn't break. But I have to wonder if Google Glass won't be closer to the durability of an Iphone over my eye-glasses. This isn't to say that you can't hike without breaking any of the above mentioned items.

Sly
05-30-2013, 06:09

Some people have no shame. I'm beginning to hate the campaigns that help, or solely, fund a hike with a passion.

BostonBlue
05-30-2013, 11:06
Some people have no shame. I'm beginning to hate the campaigns that help, or solely, fund a hike with a passion.

I have never asked for a dime on kickstarter and have funded several thousand in projects I believed in over the past few years. At least 3 or 4 were AT related. Most of the others were for the production of CDs or books. I believe that most of the AT projects involved producing a video in some form. To me, the Google Glass would revolutionize the way that others view the AT IF they held up or he was very sure-footed. But make no mistake, he WOULD have to produce a video or book or whatever - or his investors could/would sue him for fraud.

Bottom line is contribute if you believe in the person or the cause - if not, don't contribute. But there is no "shame" involved in following your dreams and determining the best way to accomplish your goals.

To ME, the shame is when people who have no hiking experience whatsoever tell the world they are going to set a "world record on the AT." Or they are going to raise funds for a non-profit organization. They set up a glitzy website and the donations and sponsors pour in. Three weeks later they quit for one reason or another and the money is never returned.

RC Moonpie
05-30-2013, 13:53
The battery life is about 2 hours of video recording, so you not getting much recorded each day.

Also this is Google, and they NEVER finish anything. I think as a company they have A.D.D. This will be something that will be forgotten or kill off in 3 years.

Andrew Ferk
05-31-2013, 00:33
Andrew... I don't know about this glass for the AT but you should def. get your own avatar on WB. It's 10 bucks. :)
I'm not sure what the e-cards are, but I felt as though I NEEDED them, so my avatar costed $50. The AT is going to break me :)

MyName1sMud
05-31-2013, 12:36
I swear we are heading towards 1984 (the book)

between google glass and now Xbox is coming out with basically a webcam that can hear/listen/see in the dark. and get this... it has to be plugged in 24/7!!!!

No hiding from Big Brother now people! haha

snifur
05-31-2013, 22:17
when they get stolen u are going to be so upset and so out of all that cash you could have saved and done something productive with like hiked without the worry of breaking or losing them. is there insurance and a warranty on them? how are they in rain and on rock, under your foot, crushed in a pack? sounds like a poor investment for a hike. good luck!

kythruhiker
05-31-2013, 22:23
The plus side, maybe there will be a wildlife identification app, so you can identify properly the angry snake you just stepped on while reading your heads up display :) The battery life on the developer incarnation of these glasses is next to nil. I've heard reports of 45 minutes to an hour continuous recording at best. I guess you could line your pack with 20 nPower Pegs and hope for the best!

HikerMom58
05-31-2013, 22:28
I'm not sure what the e-cards are, but I felt as though I NEEDED them, so my avatar costed $50. The AT is going to break me :)

Cool Avatar Andrew... & wow- a Silver Member to boot.... :) I don't know what e-cards are either but looks like you're all set. Yeah, the AT has a way of breaking us all, one way or another. :p

Swordpen
06-01-2013, 01:15
"I could record the mice crawling over my face."

too FUNNY! For $1500 dollars! Hey, I have a bridge I can sell you too!

Can we watch you take a poop with audio too? & you pay $1500 dollars for our amusement, lol!

google glasses are a dip***** idea, In my not so humble opinion.

Andrew Ferk
06-01-2013, 08:52
"I could record the mice crawling over my face."

too FUNNY! For $1500 dollars! Hey, I have a bridge I can sell you too!

Can we watch you take a poop with audio too? & you pay $1500 dollars for our amusement, lol!

google glasses are a dip***** idea, In my not so humble opinion.
You're not the only one to think that. I'm not going to disagree with the problems of glass while hiking. Mother nature, a tumble, or having them incorrectly placed in your pack all have the potential of breaking them. Most of the time you won't have your phone on and you probably won't be getting a data connection, and a lot of the benefits of the glass are missing when you are offline. This leaves you with pretty much a camera and video recorder which really eats through the battery quickly.

What I am finding a little disheartening are the number of articles and comments on the internet with glass and glass owners being associated with "glasshole", Big Brother, being a tool, narcissistic, etc. No doubt there is the potential for glass and glass owners to be associated with these terms, but it is not limited to glass and it does not encompass all glass. I absolutely do not want to be viewed as any of these simply because I have a pair of glass. I have no intentions of invading people's privacy or becoming disconnected from the world. I see a lot of potential with glass for applications involving health and fitness, weather, and nature. kythruhiker mentioned a wildlife identification app; this is actually a great idea. It may be because I'm still young, have a career in technology and software, and have a passion for the future, but I don't fear or associate it as it seems many others have. I see the potential it has to improve certain aspects of life. I also see the possibility of it completely failing, but without trailblazers we will never know.

Swordpen
06-01-2013, 09:50
Well, I hope you have fun with them, sorry if I came across too harsh.

I guess the thing that bothers me the most, is the potential for invasion of privacy (of which Google is very good at doing that). If you personally can keep it from being so, you will be one of the few, that can resist that temptation.

Sailing_Faith
06-01-2013, 10:21
I admit I don't "get" the google glass. Then again I am one of the 5 remaining people on the planet who is not on Facebook.

That said, I know folks who said that Internet thing was a passing fad that "would never catch on"...

Good luck whatever you do. Keep us posted.

Half Note
06-01-2013, 10:34
I really wish Google Chrome would come out with a 64-bit version...

Much more needed than glass.

Kookork
06-01-2013, 19:07
45 minutes charge time is not the best operation time for a battery related camera/camcorder but if you manage your usage time wisely between the charges and do not lose or break it , it is a neat idea but nothing original or revolutionary. They are the tools of future and some can use them when in infancy. You could be the one if you could afford.

snifur
06-01-2013, 19:21
Is there a way to tell when it is recording? I mean if you walk up and are recording how do i know? If you are recording and dont tell me i am apt to get rather hostile. then where your eye was there is a glasshole. privacy is an issue that some of us are finding more difficult to maintain. i understand the utility that glass may offer and the potential that it brings. however, i do think that you should remain cautious about who, where and how you use it around.

Andrew Ferk
06-01-2013, 20:04
Is there a way to tell when it is recording? I mean if you walk up and are recording how do i know? If you are recording and dont tell me i am apt to get rather hostile. then where your eye was there is a glasshole. privacy is an issue that some of us are finding more difficult to maintain. i understand the utility that glass may offer and the potential that it brings. however, i do think that you should remain cautious about who, where and how you use it around.
Apparently when you are recording or taking a picture there is an ambient glow.

I totally agree with you on other people's privacy; just because I'm allowing Google to get a closer look at my life, it doesn't give me the right to creep on the privacy of others. If I happen to have a video going for whatever reason as I'm hiking (or doing anything), I imagine I will either stop recording or continue going on my marry ole way without paying anyone attention. If they happen to gain my attention while I'm recording and I have any reason to share it, I will definitely tell them that I was recording. If they don't like the idea, I'll delete. Also, maybe I'll meet someone really cool when I'm not recording. I may think it would be a good idea to share this person with the world or a conversation we are having. Again, I would get the person's opinion and permission on it before I do say.

More than likely, I would probably be hesitant with these initially and actually remove them from my face when I approach a person or crowd.

I'm sure there will truly be someone who deserves to be called "glasshole" and does something totally inappropriate with the glass. But honestly, they were probably already doing inappropriate things.

Kookork
06-01-2013, 20:20
Apparently when you are recording or taking a picture there is an ambient glow.

I totally agree with you on other people's privacy; just because I'm allowing Google to get a closer look at my life, it doesn't give me the right to creep on the privacy of others. If I happen to have a video going for whatever reason as I'm hiking (or doing anything), I imagine I will either stop recording or continue going on my marry ole way without paying anyone attention. If they happen to gain my attention while I'm recording and I have any reason to share it, I will definitely tell them that I was recording. If they don't like the idea, I'll delete. Also, maybe I'll meet someone really cool when I'm not recording. I may think it would be a good idea to share this person with the world or a conversation we are having. Again, I would get the person's opinion and permission on it before I do say.

More than likely, I would probably be hesitant with these initially and actually remove them from my face when I approach a person or crowd.

I'm sure there will truly be someone who deserves to be called "glasshole" and does something totally inappropriate with the glass. But honestly, they were probably already doing inappropriate things.

From what I see it seems that you have a solid core value and won't invade the privacy of anybody intentionally. If it glows enough for me ( the passenger ) to recognize that the camera is recording then the manufacturer( Google) is recognizing my privacy,If not then it can be hazardous if the user does not have the high core values you follow.

Andrew Ferk
06-01-2013, 20:52
From what I see it seems that you have a solid core value and won't invade the privacy of anybody intentionally. If it glows enough for me ( the passenger ) to recognize that the camera is recording then the manufacturer( Google) is recognizing my privacy,If not then it can be hazardous if the user does not have the high core values you follow.
I appreciate what you said.

I just wonder if glass is what we should be most worried about. I understand that it's a new technology and we don't know what it will be capable of doing (or what other technologies will produce in the next few years). I've seen many videos on youtube that invade people's privacy, and that was before glass. You may consider glass less conspicuous, but I'd like to counter that. Many people use their phones to play games, use apps, or browse the web; there is no reason a person cannot pretend to be doing this as they are recording. And in case you are wondering what type of videos I'm watching on youtube, they are mostly prank videos. I do find them amusing, and I'm pretty confident that they get the people's permission to share after the prank. Also, I believe they have a guy hiding or trying to be incognito as he records; again, glass not needed.

And if I were to get the glass, I have a feeling that I will get awkward stares and some pictures taken of me. Essentially, this would be others treating me in a way that they would not want to be treated. What they are worried about the most is their privacy, but they would give no consideration to mine. Of course, I'm being general here, as people that want to remain private will ignore me, and people that have little concern about their privacy will have little concern about mine.

It would be great if people on both sides could just be responsible and respectful :) Please, I don't want to be punched in the face or kicked in the balls because I'm wearing glass :)

Kookork
06-01-2013, 21:59
I appreciate what you said.

I just wonder if glass is what we should be most worried about. I understand that it's a new technology and we don't know what it will be capable of doing (or what other technologies will produce in the next few years). I've seen many videos on youtube that invade people's privacy, and that was before glass. You may consider glass less conspicuous, but I'd like to counter that. Many people use their phones to play games, use apps, or browse the web; there is no reason a person cannot pretend to be doing this as they are recording. And in case you are wondering what type of videos I'm watching on youtube, they are mostly prank videos. I do find them amusing, and I'm pretty confident that they get the people's permission to share after the prank. Also, I believe they have a guy hiding or trying to be incognito as he records; again, glass not needed.

And if I were to get the glass, I have a feeling that I will get awkward stares and some pictures taken of me. Essentially, this would be others treating me in a way that they would not want to be treated. What they are worried about the most is their privacy, but they would give no consideration to mine. Of course, I'm being general here, as people that want to remain private will ignore me, and people that have little concern about their privacy will have little concern about mine.

It would be great if people on both sides could just be responsible and respectful :) Please, I don't want to be punched in the face or kicked in the balls because I'm wearing glass :)

You wont be punched or kicked or yelled at for wearing Google Glass. If I can be sure that private moments of mine won't be yours online without my permission and non private moments of mine is recorded with my knowledge then I personally have no issue and won't stare at you or ask about what the Google glass can do. You have your privacy as I have mine, no more or less.

max patch
06-01-2013, 22:49
Please, I don't want to be punched in the face or kicked in the balls because I'm wearing glass :)

You may kick yourself in the balls when the price goes down to a couple hundred bucks in a couple years. :)

I met someone hiking Springer to Fontana a month ago who wore a video recorder on his head and was planning (I met him on day 1) to record every step. Thats going to be a boring video before edit. I mention this as no one (there were about 10 people at the shelter) expressed any concerns about this. The thought never crossed my mind as I talked to him. I do believe, however, that no one should be video taped without permission.

Andrew Ferk
06-01-2013, 23:01
You may kick yourself in the balls when the price goes down to a couple hundred bucks in a couple years. :)

I met someone hiking Springer to Fontana a month ago who wore a video recorder on his head and was planning (I met him on day 1) to record every step. Thats going to be a boring video before edit. I mention this as no one (there were about 10 people at the shelter) expressed any concerns about this. The thought never crossed my mind as I talked to him. I do believe, however, that no one should be video taped without permission.
Thanks max patch. As a software engineer, I hope I can take advantage of my upcoming experiences, unique opportunity with glass, and my software development skills to develop a trail worthy glassware. Maybe the initial investment in the technology will reward me. :)

Andrew Ferk
06-04-2013, 16:17
Well, I'm picking up Glass on June 9th. I'll try them on the trail for two weeks to see how I feel about them. If they make me too nervous or if the battery life makes these useless, I'll just send them with my laptop as I work from the trail so maybe I can develop an app or two for them.

Here's a article of a guy using Glass on a day hike: http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/3/4363276/using-google-glass-an-offline-hiking-trip.

Swordpen
06-10-2013, 01:14
Remember Andrew, do not film people. Nobody likes a sneak.