PDA

View Full Version : Question about AT bridge over Del. Water Gap

oldbiker
07-15-2005, 18:07
I'm planning a bike trip that will take me through the Delaware Water Gap area. I have been strongly encouraged not to ride on Rte. 209, but rather to take Old Mine Road and cross the Delaware using the AT walking bridge.

Does anyone know how easy it is to get from Old Mine Rd. to the bridge and if I can make it on a road bike with panniers?

Thanks for the help.

ob

A-Train
07-15-2005, 18:25
Its very easy. Stay on Old Mine Road till the end where the light is (the only one) and continue straight under I-80. The closed Visitor Center will be ahead on your right and the highway on your left. You'll shortly make a left headed onto the pedestrian ramp (which is the AT) and you'll be headed south (west) into pennsylvania. The other side of the bridge is on the far side of the town of DWG. It may sound confusing but it's very easy. The path is probably 2-4 feet wide, and is rarely ever used except by AT hikers.

Good luck

Jeff
07-15-2005, 19:07
Did the DWG Visitors Center along the AT close for good?

A-Train
07-15-2005, 19:35
It's closed temperarily due to the intense flooding they had back in April. A lot of the building was damaged so it's been a long process, but its been closed all summer. They now have resident rangers staffed their on weekends (outside) and allow picnic-ers, but I don't thing anyone knows when it'll re-open for good. I'll be sure to post if and when I find out

oldbiker
07-15-2005, 22:44
Great! That helps alot. Thanks!

LIhikers
07-16-2005, 11:39
I hiked in the DWG area last weekend. The parking lots on both sides of Rt. 80 were open and had plenty of use. I did see some people come out of the visitor's center so it must have been open at least for the day.

oldbiker
07-23-2005, 09:14
A-train,

I completed my trip and the ride over the gap worked out great. Old mine road is a scenic and quiet ride, but you've got to watch the turns as I ended up doing an extra 10-15 miles after missing one.

Thanks for the help!

Mark