PDA

View Full Version : Class of 2014 Women Hikers

Butterfly58
05-29-2013, 10:33
Any others out there? I'm 54, have had a life long dream of hiking the AT. Well, actually since I found out about it in college, which was a long, long time ago! I also have Multiple Sclerosis. Since I don't know what the future holds for me I don't want to wait any longer. I don't want to get to the end of my life and have the regret of never having attempted it. I may not make it out of GA but at least I will have tried! So I'm going for it. I'm trying to get in shape, researching gear and reading everything I can. I've read so many books and journals I feel like an armchair expert, but that's the only kind of expert, lol! I've done a little backpacking and a lot of camping. I'd love to know other women who are hiking next year. Oh, and Butterfly isn't my trail name. I don't have one. I'll just let the trail give me one, however that happens. I just absolutely love Monarch butterflies and have studied and "grown" them. So that's the reason for my profile name.

scooterdogma
05-29-2013, 14:45
Yep, you won't be the only woman on the trial. I'll be there too! Congrats on your attitude, it will suit you fine on the AT. I hiked in 2009, and quit at Erwin, my excuse was homesickness. Now, I have improved my mental attitude, my backpacking experience and I am happy to say my backpack with food & water is around 20 pounds I can't wait to hike the AT in 2014. See ya out there!

Butterfly58
05-29-2013, 17:00
Yay Scooterdogma, so happy to "see" you! Do you have a start date? I'd love to see your gear list with a pack weight like that! I'm envious. I think mine will be closer to 30-35, especially during the early part when it's cold. I know homesickness is gonna be a problem for me too. Tell me how you've improved your mental attitude. That is one of the things I keep hearing about - this mental toughness. I'm not sure what it is exactly or how to know if I have it!

EllieMP
06-03-2013, 23:16
Hello Scooterdogma.. I hope to be on the trail next April myself. I'm getting myself in shape for it without "killing" myself before I even begin. I'd love to know how you are keeping your pack at 20 lbs. That's my goal as well. So far so good but I am concerned about the water weight. Would you share how you are doing this? I'm excited and have a good support team with my daughter and her husband. It's slowly catching on with my friends and hopefully they will cheer me on as it gets closer to April. I'll be 60 then and it's my belated birthday gift to myself. I'm not crazy enough to believe it's going to be easy but I am determined enough to believe I can do this.

EllieMP
06-03-2013, 23:30
Hi Butterfly.. It's great that you are going to give the trail a try. Hiking the AT is a dream of mine as well. Life led me in other directions but now I find myself set up as though this is what I am supposed to do. I was beginning to feel sorry for myself as I have been unable to establish a secure lifestyle here in California. I've been here five years now and pay my bills by working various part time jobs. Then a friend of mine told me that I should hike the AT. What was I waiting for? I couldn't come up with any reason that I couldn't. So here I am hiking the canyons as often as I can. Buying my ultra lite gear and like you, reading all I can about it. I have printed off a tentative hiking schedule from The AT Guide.. They have a few to choose from.. I picked the 12 mile a day average. I hope to end up doing more miles than that but it seems to take the pressure off by having a laid out plan as to how far and where to get off to rest and replenish food. I hope to get to meet you on the trail. I'm aiming for April 1st.. Yep.. April fools day! Ha. Why not!

speedbump
06-06-2013, 18:59
I am starting next March. I am also near 50. I was hoping to to meet others as well who will be starting next year. I have done some of hiking and have done all of NH, some of Maine, and some of Vermont AT. If you want to talk you can private msg me. Cannot wait for this, and you are right, life is short and things can happen to anyone at anytime.

Any others out there? I'm 54, have had a life long dream of hiking the AT. Well, actually since I found out about it in college, which was a long, long time ago! I also have Multiple Sclerosis. Since I don't know what the future holds for me I don't want to wait any longer. I don't want to get to the end of my life and have the regret of never having attempted it. I may not make it out of GA but at least I will have tried! So I'm going for it. I'm trying to get in shape, researching gear and reading everything I can. I've read so many books and journals I feel like an armchair expert, but that's the only kind of expert, lol! I've done a little backpacking and a lot of camping. I'd love to know other women who are hiking next year. Oh, and Butterfly isn't my trail name. I don't have one. I'll just let the trail give me one, however that happens. I just absolutely love Monarch butterflies and have studied and "grown" them. So that's the reason for my profile name.

Butterfly58
06-06-2013, 23:02
Lots of us older hikers who are following our dreams. Yay for us!!! Life is short, so why not! Let's keep encouraging each other and hopefully we will see each other out on the trail. I haven't set a date yet but am looking at mid March.

scooterdogma
06-07-2013, 06:11
HI Ellie and Speedbump, welcome to the dream :welcome I have a gear list which I will PM to you Ellie. I realized I needed to go lighter with my knee problems, so over the course of 3 years I started stalking the Gear Swap forums on this site and others. It is very costly to get your base weight down, especially if you are using cuben fiber. Check your messages.

EllieMP
06-07-2013, 12:06
Thank you Scooterdogma.. I responded but your mailbox is filled up. I appreciate your list. It gives me a good idea on the weights to aim for in each area. I'm doing good do far. The only thing I did notice is that you only have the convertible pants listed. Would you have wanted an extra pair of shorts? Are there any changes you would have made? I liked the ID cuff.. it made me laugh.. though it isn't a bad idea.

EllieMP
06-07-2013, 12:15
Good Morning.. Several people mention that they are leaving in March to begin "the journey".. I realize it gives more time or that you would reach Maine a month earlier than those who leave in April. My concern is dealing with the harsher weather. Are you trying to beat the crowd? Since this is all new to me these forum entries and invaluable. You have hiked the hard part already! I lived in NH and Vermont and have taken day hikes in both the Green and White mountains. Even so, this is going to be a great challenge! I'll look for your journal entries along the trail.

Cookerhiker
06-07-2013, 12:22
Yep, you won't be the only woman on the trial. I'll be there too! Congrats on your attitude, it will suit you fine on the AT. I hiked in 2009, and quit at Erwin, my excuse was homesickness. Now, I have improved my mental attitude, my backpacking experience and I am happy to say my backpack with food & water is around 20 pounds I can't wait to hike the AT in 2014. See ya out there!

Scooterdogma, I tried to PM you but your box is full. I know another Lexington woman who's thruhiking in 2014. Clear your box and send me a PM and I'll put you in touch. She's not on WB (yet).

dink
06-07-2013, 20:25
Lucky ladies...I have to wait 4 years because of financial obligatons...after that I am free to take a nice long walk anywhere I want, any time I want!!! For now it is the traditional "take a vacation hike" then back to work. :(

shelb
06-07-2013, 23:49
Good luck, ladies!

scooterdogma
06-08-2013, 08:03
The reason I am leaving in March is economics. I will all ready be in Atlanta for the NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament. GO CATS!! Plan to leave for the trail after the Tournament. That way my lovely girlfriend does not have to make two trips ;) It is good to keep the home front happy. My mailbox is cleaned up and open for messages. Ellie, I have been narrowing down my gear choices for several years, the list I sent you is what I am comfortable with on the trail. It is a happy, safe, medium for me. As for the ID cuff, I told my spouse the only thing I can see happening is some AT hiker saying, "What's that shiny thing in the bear poop?" Just kidding, lol.

SoloSonya
06-08-2013, 08:19
Hi all! I just read where a few of you are from Lexington. I am from Berea and I am starting next March! Hope to see you all out there!!

Cookerhiker
06-08-2013, 11:49
Hi all! I just read where a few of you are from Lexington. I am from Berea and I am starting next March! Hope to see you all out there!!

I just returned from shuttling 2 women hikers on the Sheltowee Trace not too far east of Berea. If you weren't aware, the Sheltowee Trace Association (http://www.sheltoweetrace.org/) sponsors a monthly "Hiker Challenge, (http://www.sheltoweetrace.org/STA_2012_Hiker_Challenge.html)" a series of overnight backpack trips covering the entire 300 mile trail in a year. It's a great way to meet other hikers including the woman I referred to earlier who's also planning a 2014 AT thruhike.

[sorry for intruding on the women's forum but I thought this was relevant]:o

scooterdogma
06-08-2013, 20:02
Welcome SS and the Sheltowee Trace is a great place to do a shakedown hike. Thanks for letting everyone know about the "Hiker Challenge" and Shelb thanks for the good tidings. Well, Kentucky is representing, anyone else out there?

virginia jen
06-10-2013, 20:54
I'm leaving for a SOBO hike early June next year. I'm at a place that I'm not sure what I want to do with myself except go hike, so I've figured it how to make it workout without having to win the lottery (have wanted to do this for 20 years now, finally figured out how). Less then a year now, can't wait!

Nedrian
06-13-2013, 03:34
i'm 26 and will be on the trail next year. i don't have a date set, but am planning sometime at the beginning of april to avoid the harsher weather. if anyone is interested in starting together, i would love the company of another girl out there while i get my bearings!

also, scooter, could you PM me a list of your gear? i'm in the process of planning and would love to see your super light plan!

scooterdogma
06-14-2013, 07:22
Good luck on your SOBO VG! I am thinking I might flip at Harper's Ferry and avoid the heat and humidity, so I will be a bit of a SOBO too, lol. Nedrian check your PM's, sent you my gear list. Keep in mind this is what works for me. I have honed my gear through trial and error and I am comfortable with my choices. Good luck

speedbump
06-16-2013, 09:09
I have been considering logistics for my 2014 hike, and have considered bringing my car and shuttling. Maybe someone else might consider the same? We would need 2 cars of course. My thoughts are this: the car can be stocked with supplies, replacement gear, shelter when you need break, transportation to town, a place to sleep, and safety. I have completed New England sections with a shuttle, and it worked out well.

If anyone else is interested, let me know ? Just a thought for now.

Tavela
06-17-2013, 21:11
Hello scooter dogma! I am also planning a 2014 AT adventure and would be curious about your gear list! Could you also send it to me? Thanks in advance

scooterdogma
06-18-2013, 05:59
Hi Tavela, check your mailbox and thanks for posting.

kattreks
06-22-2013, 13:52
Hello Butterfly58! (and everyone else)

My original plan was 2014 with a late march start date. Since I made that plan, life has thrown me a curve ball and I have some business to clear up as a result. Also, there are some "up in the air" issues at my job that I don't expect will be fully resolved in the next six months. So.....I'll be more clear if I'm going to be there with everyone next March some time later this year. I'm really excited at the prospect of attempting the thru-hike so I may just say screw it all and go despite having all my ducks in a row, so to speak.

Carolyn29
06-22-2013, 14:50
I'm 23 and hiking nobo solo probably starting in mid march!

Butterfly58
06-22-2013, 17:34
Well kattreks the AT will be there for you if and when you're ready next March. Sometimes life does get in the way. I certainly understand that! I hope you're able to get everything nailed down so you can hike. Carolyn29 welcome to the madness and glad you'll be joining some of us in March. Hope to see both of you on the trail!

divemedic72
06-25-2013, 15:47
I'm planning to start in early March. See you all out there!

scooterdogma
06-26-2013, 05:33
Hello Divemedic, interesting moniker you have there. Glad you will be on the trail in March, the more the merrier!

EllieMP
06-28-2013, 09:47
Wow.. June is coming to a close and there is much to do before April arrives. My gear is shaping up. REI is becoming my regular stop.. Can't walk by it without feeling that pull to go on in! Ha. I'm checking out the clothes to see what I will want for the hike. I'm not sure what size I will be when April does arrive. All my preparation hiking benefits me in many ways.
I'm wondering if I should leave a few days earlier to hike the Approach Trail. Those steps don't excite me but will I be sorry if I don't do it? Pictures of the Amicalola falls are breathtaking. Anyone else sharing this dilemma?

Crusinsusan
06-28-2013, 10:28
Well, I've hesitated to join in here because I'm not sure I'll do the trail next year, but this is a great way to "meet" other solo women hikers. If I go, I'll leave in April.

Austin 2014
06-28-2013, 11:10
i'm 26 and will be on the trail next year. i don't have a date set, but am planning sometime at the beginning of april to avoid the harsher weather. if anyone is interested in starting together, i would love the company of another girl out there while i get my bearings!

also, scooter, could you PM me a list of your gear? i'm in the process of planning and would love to see your super light plan!

Nedrian, I'll be 32 when I start the trail and would love to chat about possibly starting together. I'm thinking about late March/early April to avoid freezing to death as well. :)

Armywife
07-03-2013, 16:40
Hey folks. I am plannning to hike thru next year as well. My husband is currently in Afghanistan and once he returns he will be going to school to change jobs in the army then we will be moving to our new duty station and I will be leaving him, the girls, and the furkids to thruhike the AT. I am planning to leave the last week or so of March and finish on my 40th birthday in October. Can't wait to see some of you there!

Butterfly58
07-03-2013, 19:37
I love seeing more women planning on doing the AT. I am slowly getting my gear together and replacing things that need updating or things that need to be lower weight. I have decided to do the hammocking thing so I've gotten my hammock, tarp and all associated stuff that goes with that. I've been practicing putting up and taking it down so I can do it in any kind of circumstances. I'm really happy I decided to hammock. I've never slept well on the ground in a tent and I'm amazed at how comfy my new hammock is. Every time I put it up I have to take a little nap in it. Also thinking about a new pack. The one I have is a Granite Gear Vapor Trail. It's fine but I'd like something a little lighter maybe. But I'll wait till I've got all the rest of my stuff before deciding that. Time is slipping away quickly~~ :)

Cyngbaeld
07-05-2013, 12:02
Hoping to start in march if I can solve all the logistical problems. First I have to sell the farm, find homes for all my livestock and a satisfactory assisted living situation for my 29 yo disabled daughter. I'll be resettling in a different state when I finish the hike. Celebrating my remission from Lymphoma and finally feeling well enough to do this! Will be NOBO with a couple of other ladies about my age.

1StepCloser
07-05-2013, 13:31
I'm planning to start NOBO in early March (probably March 3rd or 4th). Anyone else planning to start that early in March? Can't believe that this might actually happen after 50+ years of dreaming of doing it.

Focusing on planning and getting gear together right now as a stress fracture in my foot has me off the trails temporarily. scooterdogma - if you're not too tired of sending out your 20 lb gear list, I'd love to see it. Hopefully I'll be back to hiking in about a month and can start testing out my gear selections in NH and ME.

speedbump
07-05-2013, 15:52
1 stepcloser, I am starting in March around the same time. I live in Mass too ! If you wanna talk PM me. I will go solo, but would like to join others, if possible.

I'm planning to start NOBO in early March (probably March 3rd or 4th). Anyone else planning to start that early in March? Can't believe that this might actually happen after 50+ years of dreaming of doing it.

Focusing on planning and getting gear together right now as a stress fracture in my foot has me off the trails temporarily. scooterdogma - if you're not too tired of sending out your 20 lb gear list, I'd love to see it. Hopefully I'll be back to hiking in about a month and can start testing out my gear selections in NH and ME.

scooterdogma
07-06-2013, 06:58
gear list headed your way, you early birds will be about 2 weeks ahead of me. I will look for you in the shelter registers.

Mayer
07-06-2013, 13:28
Yay Scooterdogma, so happy to "see" you! Do you have a start date? I'd love to see your gear list with a pack weight like that! I'm envious. I think mine will be closer to 30-35, especially during the early part when it's cold. I know homesickness is gonna be a problem for me too. Tell me how you've improved your mental attitude. That is one of the things I keep hearing about - this mental toughness. I'm not sure what it is exactly or how to know if I have it!

Mental toughness is being flexible. That's what it comes down to. It isn't just gritting your teeth when it rains or forcing through the last couple of miles. It's learning to accept and let go. Your mind becomes pliable, easy, and bounces back from setbacks. Hiking the AT is hiking through life.

Magic_Mack
07-06-2013, 23:50
I applaud you ladies. Best wishes for the future! HYOH and watch out for Pervs.

kneedles
07-07-2013, 13:27
I'm 43. Thru hiking the AT has also been a life long dream for me. After raising a family, I finally have the time and resources to do it. Look forward to meeting everyone and making new friends.

MarathonGirl14
07-09-2013, 21:46
I'm starting at the end of February with two friends. We're NOBO and plan to finish in early August. I'm new to backpacking, but not to endurance events. I've done 20 marathons and I'm currently training for a century bike ride. I've started day hiking with a pack for training and did the AT approach trail yesterday. Went well, but I was slow as molasses! I'm used to running and cycling. Still need to get outfitted and need all the advice I can get on light weight and easy to use gear. I'm 66 and will be 67 on the AT next year.

divemedic72
07-10-2013, 22:59
Planning to start in March. Can't wait!

WeShallSee
07-14-2013, 08:26

I will be hiking next year as well. I am 60 years old. I plan to start in Mid April. I am debating whether to start in Harper's Ferry and go south and then flip up to Maine and continue south back to HF. Or start in Georgia and go north to HF and then flip to Maine. I don't want to hike in the cold and I don't want to worry about finishing deadlines.http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.png

bonbon47
07-26-2013, 19:01
I want to start in march are April so let me know lady and i will meet you there in George I wanted to do now for 4 years and now thank you

1StepCloser
07-28-2013, 18:43
1 stepcloser, I am starting in March around the same time. I live in Mass too ! If you wanna talk PM me. I will go solo, but would like to join others, if possible.

Speedbump - love the name! Will send PM.

bonbon47
08-08-2013, 17:57
good luck and just found out i have RA and it been a long time long dream to hike the AT trail planing on doing it in march 2014 ,I live right here next to pisgah nation forest in NC ,I have hike a lot of trail in the forest so hope to see some of you on the trail in march ,got my backpack ready to go just put on my shoes ,thank you lady's

DesertRose
08-27-2013, 15:13
Hello Ladies, it's nice to see there are other female solo hikers. I'm 24 and I'm from Switzerland. Would love to find someone to start the AT with. Looking forward to the US, I've only been to Boston some years ago and I'm really curious.

scooterdogma
08-28-2013, 06:22
Welcome Desert Rose, how exciting for you, a trip overseas and a grand adventure. As you can see by the posts there are a couple of different start dates. I would suggest sending a private message to anyone who's start date matches your start date. Most people are open to starting out with someone in the beginning. Hiking the AT you will meet the best America has to offer and a lot of people from all over the globe who share your dream. Welcome to the forum.

Chicken_Scrambles
08-29-2013, 20:26
Hello Ladies, it's nice to see there are other female solo hikers. I'm 24 and I'm from Switzerland. Would love to find someone to start the AT with. Looking forward to the US, I've only been to Boston some years ago and I'm really curious.

Hey, Desert Rose! My cousin and I are planning on starting the trail in mid-April NOBO (leaving from Boston, actually!) So if you're heading out around then I'm sure we'll see you out there :) By the way, how did you like Boston?

Rhose
08-30-2013, 13:01
Greetings and good morning. I'm a 40 yr old female. I want to attempt a thru hike northbound starting February. I have a up to $1,600 for equipment/clothing etc. While on the trail I will have a budget of $150 a week. I will be allotting a time budget of 8 1/2 months or so. As long as I end up atop of katahdin on or before the the 1st week of October I'll be happy.
However I feel I need help in my planing, decision making on equipment planning. Where to research etc. I will more than likely be going it alone, I am hoping to find a another person or group before or durning my adventure.
So I'm sincerely asking for advise from you ladies.
Thanks.

ams212001
08-30-2013, 13:07
Greetings and good morning. I'm a 40 yr old female. I want to attempt a thru hike northbound starting February. I have a up to $1,600 for equipment/clothing etc. While on the trail I will have a budget of $150 a week. I will be allotting a time budget of 8 1/2 months or so. As long as I end up atop of katahdin on or before the the 1st week of October I'll be happy.
However I feel I need help in my planing, decision making on equipment planning. Where to research etc. I will more than likely be going it alone, I am hoping to find a another person or group before or durning my adventure.
So I'm sincerely asking for advise from you ladies.
Thanks.

Hey Rhose! I am in planning as well. There is a lot of advice here that can be very helpful. The one piece of advice that helped me determine my start date was how harsh a February start might be. I don't have winter hiking experience so I ruled out a winter start from the beginning. I would look around the forum about start dates and the pros and cons of different start times.

Rhose
08-30-2013, 13:13
Thanks I will keep that in mind. The February start date isn't set in stone, so I can change it if it came down to it.

ams212001
08-30-2013, 13:15
Thanks I will keep that in mind. The February start date isn't set in stone, so I can change it if it came down to it.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86884-Best-Time-to-start-hiking-the-AT

This was one of the threads I found when I started my research for start times

Valley Girl
08-30-2013, 17:09
My dog Jake and I are gearing up for the NOBO March 2014. I have been getting my gear together since last year (slowly).

Valley Girl
08-30-2013, 17:17
I hope to start in March because I know I will be hiking a bit slower, so I am giving myself more time to complete the A.T. enjoying everything along the way.

Hey-Man
08-30-2013, 18:11
The reason I am leaving in March is economics. I will all ready be in Atlanta for the NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament. GO CATS!! Plan to leave for the trail after the Tournament. That way my lovely girlfriend does not have to make two trips ;) It is good to keep the home front happy. My mailbox is cleaned up and open for messages. Ellie, I have been narrowing down my gear choices for several years, the list I sent you is what I am comfortable with on the trail. It is a happy, safe, medium for me. As for the ID cuff, I told my spouse the only thing I can see happening is some AT hiker saying, "What's that shiny thing in the bear poop?" Just kidding, lol.

OK. I'm in - what's an ID cuff?

Rhose
08-30-2013, 18:15
That's exactly why I'm giving myself up 8 months to complete it. I want to not just hike the trail. I want to truly experience it. I have a few months to get equipped. My biggest equipment issues is shelter, tent or hammock. Any suggestions?

Hey-Man
08-31-2013, 09:21

I'd love to see your gear list as well - can you post it here so we can all see it? I'm sure you'll be asked for it as 20 lbs is quite an achievement! Puts you in the ultra ultra-light group!

Hey-Man
08-31-2013, 09:24

I'm planning on starting the 3rd or 4th as well (depending on the Approach trail). Plan to arrive in Atlanta on the 3rd, probably take the overnight bus and arrive around 6:30 AM, will take the MARTA (?) to the northern most point and arrange a shuttle to the hostel….can't wait to meet all of you!

Hey-Man
08-31-2013, 09:34

Hey DesertRose! You'll have plenty of company when you want it….hope to meet you. I'm starting first week of March

SandyReid
09-01-2013, 20:36
I'll be 60 when I start first part of April from Damascus NOBO then will flip SOBO. Taking it slow till trail legs developed. Goal is to enjoy and not be injured. Will start out hiking with friend; hopefully we will finish together. Looking forward to meeting the amazing ladies taking on this adventure!

scooterdogma
09-02-2013, 08:13
As requested this is my current list. It has taken me about 3 years of trips to narrow it down to these selections. I have included the prices so you can get an idea of how expensive it is to go from 32 lbs to 20 lbs with food and water. There are items I could drop and items I could switch out to go even lighter. I believe I am content with my choices, unless of course someone makes a helium filled backpack, lol. Good luck everyone and let's keep in touch. I'm planning on starting in early March and would enjoy starting slow with other ladies from this post. I am hiking shelter to shelter for about two weeks. I will increase my mileage after that depending on the weather.

SHELTER- 5lbs .46ounces WEIGHT IN OUNCES PRICE
Warbonnet Blackbird Hammock/single layer 1.7 23.5 160.00
Hammock Gear Standard Cuben Fiber Tarp w/doors 6.5 295.00
Thermarest Women's Pro-lite Pad/Regular 16.0 98.00
Baby Orca 3/4 IX Underquilt 10.0 125.00
Western Mountaineering Ultralight 5'6" 28.0 420.00
Tyvek Ground Cloth 3.4 Free

CLOTHING IN PACK- 3lbs .78 ounces
Z-packs Cuben Fiber Rain Jacket/Large 5.2 200.00
Z-packs Cuben Fiber Rain Pants/Medium 3.0 140.00
Go-Lite Visor 1.0 12.49
Fleece Toboggan 2.3 10.00
Go-lite Wind Shirt 4.0 40.00
Patagonia Down Sweater 12.1 140.00
Patagonia R1 Fleece 11.9 60.00
Buff 1.2 17.00
Smartwool Glove Liners 0.8 10.00
Smartwool PHD Hiking Socks/extra 2.2 14.00
Smartwool Underwear/extra 2.0 38.00
Acorn Fleece Sleeping Socks (sleep in) 2.2 16.00
Marmot Polartec 1/4 zip long sleeve (sleep in) 61. 18.00
Terramor Thermal Longjohns (sleep in) 6.5 18.00

BACKPACK W/NON-CLOTHING ITEMS 4lbs .7ounces
Z-packs Arc Blast Backpack 13.5 259.00
Backpack customized w/ 2 zippered belt pouches 1.5 38.00
Load Lifters 2.0 6.00
Top Side pockets (2) 1.0 29.00
Cuben Liner 1.9 39.95
Bear Bag w/rope & carbineer 2.0 25.00
Cook Kit 9.0 50.00
Hygiene Kit 5.9 ?
Fuel Canister 7.0 4.00
Medical Kit 3.0 ?
Black Diamond Head Lamp 2.2 29.95
Gravity Filter w/cuben fiber dry bag 10.7 98.00
Police Strength MK-5 Pepper Spray 3.1 12.95
I-Phone Charger Cords w/duracell battery pack 4.1 25.00

Items on person
I-phone 5/Verizon .5 -------
Case Knife 1.9 My Dads
Sports Bra 2.5 9.00
Smartwool PHD hiking socks 2.2 14.00
Icebreaker short sleeve T-shirt 5.2 48.00
Columbia Convertible Pants 10.7 52.00
Knee brace 1.4 18.00
Smartwool underwear 2.0 38.00
Timex watch .9 ??
ID-cuff (makes girlfriend happy) .4 gift
Montrail AT trail runners 18.00 80.00
Komperdrell pure carbon powerlock hiking poles 13.2 79.00
ON A Keychain/ Victorinox Classic Swiss Army knife 1.3 14.95
Princeton Tec Pulsar II LED Light .25 6.95
O'tom/Tick Twister .1 5.99

scooterdogma
09-02-2013, 08:22
OK. I'm in - what's an ID cuff?

It is a velcro band you wear on your person with identifying info; name, emergency phone number, med info or smart-ass quote, lol
The idea being in you are unable to speak the responder will have a way to get your information. My girlfriend originally wanted to me to carry a Spot, but this is the much lighter compromise, lol.

http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx

DesertRose
09-02-2013, 15:51
Hey DesertRose! You'll have plenty of company when you want it….hope to meet you. I'm starting first week of March

We'll probably meet out there, I'm starting around the 10th of March.Going to buy my flight ticket tomorrow, wohoo :-)

DesertRose
09-02-2013, 16:00
Hey, Desert Rose! My cousin and I are planning on starting the trail in mid-April NOBO (leaving from Boston, actually!) So if you're heading out around then I'm sure we'll see you out there :) By the way, how did you like Boston?

Cool, hopefully we'll meet out there. I liked Boston a lot, so many nice people. I wish you a wonderful hike :-)

Butterfly58
09-02-2013, 16:24
Hey Scooterdogma,
I think we have the same sleeping bag and my weighed in at just under 18 oz. One of us needs to double check the weights! I hope mine is right. Also wondering if your UQ is rated at 20*. I had a Phoenix 20* and I sent it back to trade it in for a 0*. I just spent 2 weeks in Michigan camping in my hammock and had some very cold nights. I know I'm a cold sleeper, but I shouldn't have been THAT cold. The lows got into the low 40's.

Curious why you are taking the down and fleece jacket. And does your rain jacket fit over all your jackets? Asking because I understand that is importanI t. I have Frogg Toggs, but I keep reading that they won't hold up, so I'm looking at other options for rain gear.

What size ground cloth do you have under your hammock? I'd like to have something as well so that I don't step out of my hammock onto the ground. Plus I'd like to have something to sit on to cook under my tarp if needed.

Looks like a great list! You know I love picking your brain!

scooterdogma
09-03-2013, 06:59
Hey Scooterdogma,
I think we have the same sleeping bag and my weighed in at just under 18 oz. Checked again, by bag weighs the same as before, perhaps I have more fill in mine? One of us needs to double check the weights! I hope mine is right. Also wondering if your UQ is rated at 20*. Mac lists 40 degrees, which in my experience is very conservative. I have had it down to the low 30's and slept like a baby. I had a Phoenix 20* and I sent it back to trade it in for a 0*. I just spent 2 weeks in Michigan camping in my hammock and had some very cold nights. I know I'm a cold sleeper, but I shouldn't have been THAT cold. The lows got into the low 40's. When is is below 30 I combine the underquilt with my sleeping pad, fabulous warmth!

Curious why you are taking the down and fleece jacket. Because I am a cold soul. And does your rain jacket fit over all your jackets? Yep, with room to spare. Asking because I understand that is important. I have Frogg Toggs, but I keep reading that they won't hold up, so I'm looking at other options for rain gear. I have a Frogg Togg jacket that has held up for over 3 years, the pants lasted about 2 with some creative use of duct tape, she says with a smile.

What size ground cloth do you have under your hammock? I'd like to have something as well so that I don't step out of my hammock onto the ground. Plus I'd like to have something to sit on to cook under my tarp if needed. My tyvek sheet is about 25" wide and about 5'5" long. I have used it under the hammock to step on, under my sleeping pad in shelters, to lay on in the woods and do yoga, sit-pad for rests and dinners, and between my underquilt and hammock when it is really, really cold, read in the teens. The tyvek is the best piece of gear I have for "weight vs. use" ratio.

Looks like a great list! You know I love picking your brain! enjoyed meeting you at Michigan, just wasn't long enough to pick each others brains, lol.

quasarr
09-09-2013, 18:06
Hey ladies! I've been toying with the idea of doing a long trail next year (like maybe the PCT or CDT lol!!) But this weekend I visited a friend in Sugar Mtn and we did a short trip around the Grayson Highlands. It really rekindled my love of my home state and the AT.

I'm thinking about a May 1 start, so I'll be a bit behind everyone. But I want to avoid snow, travel light, and maybe I'll see you girls in mid-Virginia! :)

PS ... anyone in the Raleigh/Durham area? :)

DonnaVO
09-10-2013, 20:44
Aloha, ladies: My trail name is YPO. I started the AT in March this year and got terribly ill after only the 3rd day (severe dehydration which then caused a UTI and then rhabdomyolosis). It took me a very long time to recover, but I'm happy to say I am very healthy again. I want to return next year to the AT because I can't let the dream go. I will be 61 in November, and I would love to hook up with those of you who are around my age. I am also a slow hiker because I'm only 5 ft. Glad that you all have the same dream.

WeShallSee
09-10-2013, 21:28
Aloha, ladies: My trail name is YPO. I started the AT in March this year and got terribly ill after only the 3rd day (severe dehydration which then caused a UTI and then rhabdomyolosis). It took me a very long time to recover, but I'm happy to say I am very healthy again. I want to return next year to the AT because I can't let the dream go. I will be 61 in November, and I would love to hook up with those of you who are around my age. I am also a slow hiker because I'm only 5 ft. Glad that you all have the same dream.
YPO, I will be 61 by the time I start the trail. I antipate begin fairly slow even though I am 5' 8". If you are willing to try a less traditional hike, (starting at Harper's Ferry and heading south, then going north and hiking south again to Harpers Ferry), I would be interested ion seeing if we could be compatible hikers. Send me a msg if you want to follow up.

WeShallSee
09-10-2013, 21:29
I hope I can hike better than I can type. lol

scooterdogma
09-11-2013, 05:36
YAY Ypo!!!! That's a win for the Summit Sisters, lol. Starting early March, going shelter to shelter for a couple of weeks, will that work for your vertically challenged stride? PS, I'm vertically challenged too!

quasarr
09-11-2013, 10:50
Hey, don't let your height get you down! Lots of those Kenyan marathon runners are like 5'2" and they are plenty fast. :)

Zipper
09-11-2013, 23:48
Yay Sandy! Great to see you here! Excited that you'll be flip-flopping! I loved flip-flopping and ended up with great weather because of that, and I hope the same happens for you. Of course it will still rain...

robin31
09-12-2013, 14:08
Finally... It been a long time coming...
NOBO
March 1 is my start day

frogmonkey
09-12-2013, 19:56
I plan on starting the first week of February NOBO. Anybody have advice/tips for winter/cold weather backpacking?

Valley Girl
09-12-2013, 21:14
Gear list? Oh please share:)

Trillium
09-12-2013, 23:20
Gear list? Oh please share:)Look at post #62 for scooterdogma's gear list.

I started on April 5 this year and made it to Franklin, NC (Winding Stair Gap). Experienced extremely intense pain in my feet to the point of barely being able to walk. I believe that a big factor was so heavy of pack/gear. So, my advice to you ladies to go to as absolutely lightweight as possible. I am also going to get inserts for my shoes.

Trillium
09-12-2013, 23:22
Oops, meant to also say that I plan to start once again in early April but will be starting from where I left off at Winding Stair Gap. If I somehow actually make it to Katahdin, I will flip back down south and go sobo from Franklin to Springer. Definitely hope to see some of you ladies out there.

merp
09-16-2013, 09:23
Hello! I'm 23 and am leaving early April nobo. I'm still in the process of collecting all the gear I need but am lucky to have my boyfriend as my mentor. We have done section hikes (he's been doing it for years, this was my first year hiking) and this will be both of our first thru hikes.

Juneebug
09-16-2013, 13:35
Wow, a 20 lb pack... I'd love to hear about your gear choices! I'm still waffling on a start date so please bear with me! Good luck to you and the rest of the gals!

annamagpie
09-19-2013, 10:29
I am heading out in 2014 and cannot wait! I haven't done this much research, reading, and thinking about something since I was pregnant with my daughter 21 years ago! I suppose you could say that 2014 will be giving birth to a dream! I've wanted to be a thru-hiker since meeting one about 40 years ago or so when I was a little kid. I'm not sure of my start date yet. My daughter is starting massage school and it depends on when she graduates. If it is later than late March then I will start in Damascus and go to ME, then turn around and go from Damascus to GA. Otherwise NOBO all the way! I hope to see you all on the trail!

RisingBull
09-28-2013, 11:51
Hey Ladies!!! I find it pretty rad to have some Kentucky friends hitting the trail!!! My trailmate and I are coming from Louisville, KY!

I'm attempting my first ever thru-hike on March 31st, 2014. I cannot wait to meet all of you!

Any tips and tricks (especially more female related tips like menstrual happenings) that you can provide would be b-e-a-utiful.

Thanks and Happy trails, my friends.

RisingBull
09-28-2013, 12:57
I'm 23 and hiking nobo solo probably starting in mid march!

Hey Carolyn, What's your trail name?
It's sort of like a seek-n-find adventure when you get lists of others trail names and see if you end up meeting them. I've talked to several people and can't wait to see if the trail brings them into my presence.

Aletheia.VA
09-28-2013, 18:32
Hello Miss Monarch!

So happy that you are living life the way you want to by pursuing the trail!
I will be starting 2014 with my other half in mid-February or early March. :)

PJT
10-07-2013, 01:01
Hi ladies, being short definitely isn't a detriment to hiking the AT. I'm 4'9" and hiked from Springer to NY this year before getting off due to illness (which the doctors have yet to identify :( ) I'm planning on finishing the remaining 800 miles next summer, so perhaps I'll see some of you out there! I participated in Wild and White Blazing put on by Carla Robertson, aka Zipper, last year before my hike. It was probably the best thing I could have done to prepare. If you are interested here is the link to join: http://livingwildandprecious.com/wild-and-white-blazing/ . ~Little Bird

Aletheia.VA
10-10-2013, 13:47
That is wonderful that you are persisting, Little Bird!
Not to wonderful that there is an unidentified illness plaguing you though, but this shows how badass you are that you are getting out there anyway! All the best to you, hun :)

Aletheia.VA
10-10-2013, 13:49
not *TOO wonderful

buzz48843
10-11-2013, 14:10
YAY Ypo!!!! That's a win for the Summit Sisters, lol. Starting early March, going shelter to shelter for a couple of weeks, will that work for your vertically challenged stride? PS, I'm vertically challenged too!

I am also thinking of hiking next year - I had to get off for my knees, but I have been taking supplements and doing strengthening exercises.
When are you planning on starting?

Rolls Kanardly
10-11-2013, 18:11
Hoping to be there in March 2014. Good luck, hope to see you on the trail.
"Rolls Kanardly"

kattreks
11-19-2013, 15:03
So far in this thread I see only one southbounder. I really want to hike this year, but if I decide to stick around to watch my daughter graduate from college, I'll likely have to wait until 2015 to go NOBO. I have wanted to go NOBO for the social experience, but now I'm wondering if I should go SOBO after my daughter graduates so that I won't have to wait another year. Am I wrong in my interpretation of a SOBO hike as largely solitary? It seems most folks go NOBO. Anyone else planning a SOBO?

None yet
11-22-2013, 12:09
NoBo, probably April 1. Haven't found a pack yet. Anyone have recent experience with ZPacks Arc Blast or Gossamer Gear Gorilla?

DonnaVO
11-24-2013, 00:30
HI All...it's me, YPO. Just catching up with this wonderful thread. Good to see a lot of other women planning for 2014 from when I last visited this site. I've been busy changing out some important gear and started "training" again. Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Aloha!

scooterdogma
11-24-2013, 06:21
NoBo, probably April 1. Haven't found a pack yet. Anyone have recent experience with ZPacks Arc Blast or Gossamer Gear Gorilla?

I have owned the Arc Blast for a year. The longest trip I utilized it on was ten days, with multiple weekend and overnight trips. My load varies from 19 to 23 pounds. To give you an idea of what this pack can hold, my winter kit looks like this- a Warbonnet 1.7, with Jacks r Better undercover, a baby orca, a Hammock Gear cuban tarp w/doors, down sleeping bag and a Thermarest Prolite pad, along with clothing and food for five days. All the gear fits comfortably in the backpack.

DESIGN
The Arc Blast is a top loader, with a removable carbon fiber frame, shaped in a H formation ( the new frame has two horizontal bars for more stability, instead of one). The curve of the frame is adjustable by tensioning the mesh back panel. In the winter I adjust the frame for no curve, in the summer I adjust for a slight curve, just enough to create an air gap between the pack and my back. The default / medium torso height on this pack will fit a 20" to 21" torso as measured. Taller and shorter torso heights can be selected. The pack is constructed of 2.92 oz/sqyd Cuben Hybrid fabric. This material is Cuben Fiber on the inside with a protective layer of 50 denier Polyester on the outside. The material has the feel of a thick, waxy paper grocery bag. I have snagged this pack on branches, briars and car doors. At this time, there is no evidence of damage to the Cuben Fiber. I do not drop this pack on the ground, I place it on the ground as you must be a little nicer to ultralight material.

The pack comes stock with a roll top velcro closure designed to keep water out of the 3,200 cubic inches/52 liter volume pack. When I order this pack again, I will ask Joe to make the "throat" of the pack longer. If he added 6 inches to the throat, the top would roll better when the pack is fully loaded for a long winter trip. Pack has a haul strap, which I use to attach the empty pack to my hammock suspension with a carabiner.

The 3/8 inch padded contoured shoulder straps and belt have a daisy chain for clipping on items. An adjustable sternum strap is included in the basic package. There are 3 size belts to choose from. Choose the largest belt that will fit you. The straps and hipbelt are comfortable/they are not breathable and tend to be a little hotter than padded, conventional cloth straps and hipbelts. The hipbelt is sewed to sides of the pack and is not removable.

The arc comes with 2 bottom side pockets, constructed of cuben fiber with a drain hole in the bottom and elastic top seam. Side pockets are sized to fit 1 or 1.5 liter bottles. They are positioned low on the pack and slanted forward for easy access without removing the pack. I carry my water bottles on the shoulder straps, so I cannot comment on the ease of access. I have my cook kit in one side pocket with space left over. My other side pocket carries my lunch and snacks, fleece cap and glove liners. Pockets are 11 inches deep at the back seam and 7inches deep at the front seam, 4 inch bottom seam, and 11 inch top seam with toggled closure. No issue with the space of the side pockets.

Large stretchy, clear view, mesh center pocket is great for quick access items. Mesh pocket allows air circulation to dry your wet tarp stowed in this pocket. Pocket is approximately 13 inches wide and 15 inches tall. You can haul a lot of gear in this pocket. I, at times, have had a ballcap, maps, wind jacket, trail guide book, dry tarp, snow stake and large lunch in this pocket at one time.

Side compression straps are made from non-stretch Dyneema cord for squishing down the pack volume. They also allow you to stand tall items like trekking poles in the side pockets.

A top strap (one), and base straps (two) allow you to lash on extra items to the top or base of the pack. The straps come off if you don't need them.

A centrally located Hydration Port is included to string out a drinking tube over either the left or right shoulder. A water bladder can either be hung from an internal hang loop, or laid horizontally on top of your gear. I have never used this feature and cannot comment as to its effectiveness.

All standard Bear Canisters, including the Bearikade Expedition and the BearVault 500 will fit in the upper half of this pack standing on end. There is enough extra girth to either wrap a foam pad around the canister (if you use one), or stand a Medium stuff sack vertically beside the bear canister. I have never used a Bear Canister and cannot comment on this feature.

Options Available/ I choose 2 top side mesh pockets, load lifters, and 2 cuben belt pouches. The 2 top side pockets have a loop at each corner to connect them to corresponding loops on the sides of your pack. Since these are not sewn to the pack you can still stand tall items like trekking poles, an umbrella, or a fishing pole behind the pockets. The pockets can be taken off or added later. The dimensions are roughly 6" wide x 3" deep x 8" tall. The load lifters are not really necessary, unless you like the feeling of pulling the load snug against your shoulders, which I do. The belt pouches clip securely to the daisy chain on your padded belt. These have taped seams and are completely waterproof from falling rain. They open with a single clip at the center. Each pouch has about 1 liter of volume.

Joe has other options and photos of the Arc Blast backpack which can be viewed at http://www.zpacks.com

The total weight of my pack, with the options I previously mentioned, is 18 ounces/510.29 grams. The current cost for this exact pack would be $354.00 US dollars.

PERFORMANCE
The Arc Blast pack has always carried superbly. The pack cinches up to me nicely. The hipbelt is an adequate design and distributes the load of the pack effectively to the hipbelt by the H-style frame stay. I would like to see a removable hipbelt option. At this time, if you need a different size hipbelt you must order a new pack.

Hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains with 5 and a half days food with water, along with all my hammock gear and there was no discomfort or shoulder ache. On steep descents the stability and slim profile of this pack allowed me to keep the load closer to my center of gravity for a natural walking position. For carrying a load of 23 pounds I cannot find fault with the Arc Blast. The shoulder straps did not rub my neck, which is a plus in my book. I found the pack to be water proof in all day down pours. No water reached the inside of this pack. For uber-insurance, I use a cuban fiber roll top pack liner from Z-pack. Weight of pack liner is 1.9 oz/54 grams and price is $39.95. This pack is suitable for weekend hikes or thru-hikes.

All ZPacks gear has a one year warranty against defects in materials or workmanship. Returns or exchanges are welcome, even on custom gear. I have utilized Joe's service for a couple of years. I have found his products to be well made. Joe has always been amicable to any return I have decided to send back. Communication is through e-mail. I prefer telephone contact, but this is not an initial option.

The Arc Blast is the pack I intend to use on my thru-hike attempt in 2014. I will keep you'all updated on the wear and tear of this pack as I make my way up the Appalachian Trail. Hope this review helped answer some questions.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/images/statusicon/user_online.gif https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/images/buttons/report.gif (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/report.php?p=1058743)
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/images/buttons/quote.gif (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1058743)

trinzushi
11-25-2013, 13:10
:D Hey! I'm also a female hiker in 2014. Start date is approx. mid march.. maybe sooner, maybe later depending on how nasty the cold looks. I'm starting out with a pack weight of just around 20lbs (my computer deleted the spreadsheet.. i have to reweigh everything! Argh!) before water which usually brings me to the 30lb mark. Still working on cutting weight. I've done one two week and a few weekend trips in preparation and didn't feel homesick.. So I don't know how months is going to affect me. I am completely happy to be out doing what I love. I just started reading Appalachian Trials: The psychological and emotional guide to successfully thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail just to get an idea of the other psychological walls I may hit. I'm excited to meet other woman. I may be starting with my boyfriend if he's up for it.. and start out with my Sheltie! Nice to meet all the woman of '14 here!

Tanya A.
11-25-2013, 13:41
Hey ladies! Just another female thru-hiker checking in! I'm planning to start around March 10th or 12th - still playing with the idea of going to the ATKO before starting the trail. I'm 24, aiming to do the trail in about five months, and I'd love to have a starting buddy. Is anyone else here interested in having a partner to start with? No need to hike together 24/7 or to stay together if hiking paces/temperaments differ, but it would be nice to have someone to make sure I stumbled into camp in one piece at the end of the day (as I would do for her). Message me if you're interested! :)

None yet
11-25-2013, 22:04
Scooterdogma: thx for input. Arc Blast will be here in two wks

Short Fox
12-03-2013, 19:52
Good luck to everyone and happy hiking. I'm 23 and about to graduate from college in about a week and a half without loans so I figured now is a good time to try something I love doing. I'll be starting in early March with my boyfriend who loves backpacking as well. I have a pack weight of 30 pounds with food and water but hopefully the trail will teach me a little something and I'll shed those extra pack pounds. Who knows, I'm just going to go for it. I've also done some extreme research since I'm good at that being that it's my job, basically, in college. You can never research a true personal experience though so I think all of us getting out there and doing it is the best. I'm super excited for myself and all you ladies (and guys) here and even those not on Whiteblaze who will be hitting the trail 2014. I can't wait to meet new people out there. I've done a good amount of camping and a little backpacking in Alaska and Colorado so hopefully I know enough to make it the whole way.
(First post! YAY! haha)

snail2010
12-04-2013, 13:28
Hi Girls! Getting ready to do the AT again in 2014! Starting sometime mid-april to stay out of the cold as much as possible. See you on the trail!

Butterfly58
12-13-2013, 19:44
Hey everyone, We also have a page on Facebook if you are interested. It is a closed group so that we can talk privately without interference from the guys, lol. :) Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ATWomen/

HikerMom58
12-13-2013, 20:16
I'll join ya!! :) Hey ho Butterfly58!

PJT
12-15-2013, 01:32
Thanks for the encouragement! After 3 mo. it was finally identified as Lyme disease. Turns out the blood tests are highly inaccurate, so even though it was one of the first things tested, the initial test was wrong. I knew about lyme and the symptoms and such ahead of time, in fact it was my biggest fear. I didn't have the usual initial symptoms, so it went on a long time without treatment which means it is taking a long time to get rid of 2+ mo of treatment so far.

All hikers should really take precuation against ticks and aware of Lyme disease. The bacteria are very sneaky and once they are adapted to your system they can be hard to get rid of!

That being said, I have no intention of letting the possibility of getting it again stop me from going out and finishing the trail, I'm just going to be extra cautious about prevention!

PJT
12-15-2013, 01:49
.. and start out with my Sheltie!

Sheltie Alert! I love shelties, they are awesome dogs. I hiked with my sheltie, Peppy, from Springer to New York! I am a shameless, proud parent when it comes to sharing pics of my cutie!

Trillium
12-15-2013, 14:48
Sheltie Alert! I love shelties, they are awesome dogs. I hiked with my sheltie, Peppy, from Springer to New York! I am a shameless, proud parent when it comes to sharing pics of my cutie!
Peppy looks like a great companion!

DonnaVO
12-15-2013, 22:13
HI Ladies: YPO, again...catching up on this thread. I read earlier about foot problems. I also had MAJOR problems with my feet...neuropathy. After I got off the trail, my feet were numb for several months due to shoes being too small and bad inserts. My left toe nail (which was black) finally has grown out. I also got cortisone shots from my doctor prior to the hike which helped somewhat. Therefore, my suggestion is that if you have any foot problems at all, they should be resolved prior to the hike. When I got back home to Hawaii, I went to see my podiatrist, ordered very expensive custom made inserts, and am ecstatic I spent the bucks on them. It's made a H U G E difference. Also, ordering proper boots is utterly important as well. My feet has grown (used to be a 6 or 6/12, now they are 7) and are wider, so my Keen boots are an 8-1/2. I learned a lot from my mistakes earlier in the year, so I've been tweaking gear and clothes, and changing out my electrolytes supplements. I'll be taking esbit tablets for my fuel (since they are U.L.); if any of you can recommend an all-weather lighter, I'd appreciate it. I'm wishing all of you a wonderful Christmas. My warmest aloha!!

Morgen
12-16-2013, 19:11
Hi, I'll be starting my thru-hike the second week of April right after I turn nineteen. I would love to hike with other women on the trail so if anyone else is starting about the same time let me know.

HikerMom58
12-16-2013, 20:27
Hi, I'll be starting my thru-hike the second week of April right after I turn nineteen. I would love to hike with other women on the trail so if anyone else is starting about the same time let me know.

Hi Morgen.... Here is the FB link from post #100 if you are on FB & interested.

This post below is from Butterfly58:

"Hey everyone, We also have a page on Facebook if you are interested. It is a closed group so that we can talk privately without interference from the guys, lol. :) Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ATWomen/ "

Have a great time!

whisper walking
12-17-2013, 09:59
Hiking the AT was a pipedream for most of my adult life. I figured I would never make it because I was a heavy smoker. When I quit smoking 13 months ago, I started planning this hike. This is the beginning of a new decade for me and a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail will be the perfect way to celebrate being Fifty, Fluffy, and Fearless! I start March 15. Hope to see ya'll out there!

Murphy7
12-17-2013, 21:49
Hi, ladies! I am hoping to hit the Trail the first or second week of April. I can't wait to meet you all!

tee
12-18-2013, 21:48
Hi all! I'm still hemming and hawing about a thru-hike next year (not a ton of experience, and kind of scared of the possibility of quitting my job to hike), but it's wonderful to read I'd be in the company of so many!

Special K
12-23-2013, 23:17

Oh my gosh it's LITTLE BIRD AND PEPPY!!! WOW...it was Lymes Disease after all. So glad to hear you are on the mend!!!

Mary J
12-24-2013, 10:06
Hello everybody! I have been lurking here for quite a while now. I plan on starting the trail the first week in April.

Mariposa2014
01-14-2014, 11:25
I am a 22-year-old woman from Knoxville and also looking for women to hike with! I've never hiked up north before, and only done a few spots in Virginia and Tennessee. I will be starting on March 9th or 10th.

Kenwood
01-30-2014, 13:36
I'm 55. My first hike back in 1999 was Franconia Ridge, NH. I have been hooked and planning ever since. I have been following some of these journals (Infinity, Lady Grey, Summit Sistas, etc) for a couple years now and thought it time to meet some new friends :) Raising a family, taking care of Elderly parents, grandchildren, moving and waiting for my husband to retire have been a few things that have kept me from my "AT Dream", for now. In the meantime, I Section hike. Thank you for taking time with your journals. I learn so much from them. It's become my favorite part of the day! Im planning my next Section as we speak. But if something were to change, I'll be sure to meet you in Georgia :) I'll be looking for you "when" you make it to NH :) My pack is always ready :) ~Kenwood

GinaF
01-30-2014, 13:57
Hi Ladies. I am planning on doing a section hike in May. Springer Mtn to Unicoi. I know this is after the thru hikers have gone. Is anyone planning on hiking that section in May?

kkeaton
01-30-2014, 18:49
Hi Nedrian - I am 35 and I am hiking solo too. I plan to start my hike in early April too (thinking 9th ish). I am so excited and nervous at the same time!
It seems the more reading and research I do the more I wonder what I am getting myself into! All in a really good way though.
If it would work out I would be up for starting together and getting through the first bumps together.

marjirob
01-30-2014, 18:54
Hi all, I'll be out there with my husband with a start date of March 14th. Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible! Happy Hiking!

bettywagner
01-30-2014, 21:00
I have done sections and hope to pick up around June 1, '14 and head north, You guys will be trail hardened and smoking distance by then!

bettywagner
01-30-2014, 21:04
I am interested in this as well. I was on the trial a few years ago and was accosted and scared now about hitch hiking into town. Are you still thinking for 2014?

bettywagner
01-30-2014, 21:13
I am 55 and want to pick up where I left off last year (In Virginia - and hope to me in Waynesboro for trail fest). Look forward to seeing you all out there. If I am doing ok hope to continue north this year!

Kenwood
02-01-2014, 16:06
Hey Scooterdogma, I'm a "first-timer" on this website. Thanks for sharing your gear list. I'm constantly looking for new ways to adjust pack weight. I have been trying to find the O'tom and noticed it on your list. I haven't seen it yet around here, mostly places in UK. Can you tell me were you were able to purchase yours? I'll be reading/following some of your journals as you head North. Especially when you get to NH, might have to try to meet up with you! Man do I wish I was coming :) ~Kenwood

AngelEyez
02-01-2014, 16:22
hay yall!! I too am joining the ranks wth the ladysNO trail name yet in a NOBO taking train down <2 days and hours of lay over but gr8 way to see the sighs> EST Around March 20th. Been a long time dream kinda got tossed to the wayside you know life gets in the way then kids. It time to take care and do something for myself. Went thew barbaric surgery two year this coming march drop 140 lb was hitting the gym and trail as much as poss till a small hiccup wasn’t sure I was going to make it this year but feeling bettah and ready to throw cation to the wind and let life fly. Getting back to the gym and uber exited. Looking to free my mind and regain balance, nothing bettah then the gr8 out doors............:jump:jump

scooterdogma
02-02-2014, 08:31
Hey Scooterdogma, I'm a "first-timer" on this website. Thanks for sharing your gear list. I'm constantly looking for new ways to adjust pack weight. I have been trying to find the O'tom and noticed it on your list. I haven't seen it yet around here, mostly places in UK. Can you tell me were you were able to purchase yours? I'll be reading/following some of your journals as you head North. Especially when you get to NH, might have to try to meet up with you! Man do I wish I was coming :) ~Kenwood

Here ya go http://www.otom.com/how-to-remove-a-tick

Julesmcph
02-02-2014, 15:05
Hi all,
I 53 and starting my hike beginning of March with my daughter. She took this year off from school.

CaseyLee
02-05-2014, 17:40
Hello... Newbie to whiteblaze here. I just registered as an official thru hiker class of 2014. Did I really just say that? I am excited nervous and glad there'll be other ladies out there. I don't really have experience and I am too lazy to research, but I'm all in for adventure, challenge, and probably a lot of mental anguish. I'm starting the access trail on march 4 or 5 depending on what time my ride drops me off and leaves me for death. I'm hoping to have a veteran hiker hold the back of my seat for the first 30 miles or so until I get my land legs. But that commitment is not yet solid so we'll see.

littlehass84
02-07-2014, 14:33
Hello everyone!
I am planning my thru hike for somewhere between 3/16 and 3/31 next month. I have decided to go alone and am looking for advice/reassurance that it will be the best idea. I thought of trying to meet someone about the same age leaving at same time to start the trail with, but have heard that I will meet plenty of people in Georgia and will make friends quickly.

I am mostly nervous about camping alone (never done this!) but I have a lot of backpacking and camping experience, just with groups of friends. Do people think it is a safe shot to start alone and expect company along the way? I am still open to the idea of starting with someone who has similar start dates, preferably a female! I am 29 and am coming from snowy Boston.

Jazam
02-07-2014, 18:55
Hi ladies, I am 38 and hiking only half of the AT with my hiking dog Daisy. I am starting mid-May. I'm a newbie, a bit nervous. :) Anyone else starting then. I was not able to start in March which may be a good thing to avoid the crowds however, I also don't want to be alone the majority of the time because I am getting a late start.

Jazam
02-07-2014, 18:57
Hi PJT, are you hiking again in 2014? I'm also hiking with my dog Daisy in 2014.

HikerMom58
02-07-2014, 18:59
Hello everyone!
I am planning my thru hike for somewhere between 3/16 and 3/31 next month. I have decided to go alone and am looking for advice/reassurance that it will be the best idea. I thought of trying to meet someone about the same age leaving at same time to start the trail with, but have heard that I will meet plenty of people in Georgia and will make friends quickly.

I am mostly nervous about camping alone (never done this!) but I have a lot of backpacking and camping experience, just with groups of friends. Do people think it is a safe shot to start alone and expect company along the way? I am still open to the idea of starting with someone who has similar start dates, preferably a female! I am 29 and am coming from snowy Boston.

You will meet a lot of people starting to hike the trail at the same time. You will make friends very quickly, IMHO. No worries!

trinzushi
02-08-2014, 01:53
Hello ladies! I will be starting the trail this year with my trail Sheltie. Pack weight will be approx. 35 lbs with food, water, winter cloths and additional doggy gear. See you all on the trail! Wooooooo!!

Lynnette
02-24-2014, 21:33
OK ladies ! I am 60.5 years old. I have purchased my airplane ticket and booked at room at Hiker Hostel. March 26. My gear is all over the floor right now. See you there.
Cake

Marcieme2
02-25-2014, 10:26
I also would like to see how you keep your pack weight to 20 lbs. I hiked 700 miles on the AT in 2008 and carried 40 lbs!

scooterdogma
02-26-2014, 08:04
I also would like to see how you keep your pack weight to 20 lbs. I hiked 700 miles on the AT in 2008 and carried 40 lbs!

Post # 62 in this Thread, I publicly posted it :)

Sushigal
03-13-2014, 20:39
Hi,

I'm trying to get my gear ready also. Would you mind sending me your list ?

Thanks a ton.