PDA

View Full Version : Weather in GA/NC section

mandasueRN
05-29-2013, 10:33
My husband, 13 year old daughter and myself will be leaving for our next section hike of the AT on June 8th. We will be starting just inside the Georgia state line and hiking to Fontana and I was wondering what we can expect the weather to be like. I'm particularly interested in what the temperature will be like during the day/night--I know you can Google and find info on the typical lows/highs for the region, and I know the temp will be less in the higher elevations, but I wanted to see if I could get some feedback from someone who had been in the area recently. I'm trying to decide what kind of clothes to wear/pack.

Thanks!

Venchka
05-29-2013, 10:40
You find helpful information at Ray's Weather. The weather will be...It Depends.

http://www.raysweather.com/

Unfortunately, our all too brief trip to the High Country will come to an end on June 8.
I hope you all have nice weather.

Wayne

jeremiah j
05-29-2013, 13:36
70 to mid 80's during the day and low 60's during the nite. Could be a little cooler. Was there last weekend. Have a good hike.

slbirdnerd
05-29-2013, 15:51
Will be on the trail way south of you headed north the same day. Thanks for the question, I was wondering too. Have a great hike!

daddytwosticks
05-29-2013, 16:23
I hiked from Mooney Gap to the NOC last weekend (Thurs-Sun). A front came thru and the nighttime temps were in the high 30's and daytime temps max were high 60's. Beautiful! As the early summer starts, the chances of a front coming thru and dropping temps like I experienced are rare. The weather will still be nice - probably 50-60 at night and high 70's day. Watch for higher humidity and afternoon thundershowers if the summertime pattern sets in. :)

Whack-a-mole
05-31-2013, 07:47
I'm doing FD to NOC starting June 2, and the weather guessers are calling for highs in the low 80s with lows in the 50s. I'm guessing the temps will be going up from here as we roll into summer. I looked up the weather for Franklin NC, as that seems to be a close town whose weather will pretty much match the area.

LAHiker
06-02-2013, 23:32
We are doing the same hike starting a week later! I hope the weather is good for both of us! I guess being ready for afternoon rain will be necessary but otherwise it should be great hiking weather.

LAHiker
06-02-2013, 23:33
We are doing the same hike starting a week later! I hope the weather is good for both of us! I guess being ready for afternoon rain will be necessary but otherwise it should be great hiking weather. Just curious, will you be planning to stop to resupply? We are trying to keep weight low so thinking about stopping in Franklin and then briefly again at NOC.