PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Spoon

memphistiger02
05-29-2013, 11:57
I purchased a titanium mountain laurel spoon the other day, I like the fact that it is long and light. Does anyone know if there is a way to polish the spoon part where it isnt so textured. It feels weird to eat out of it.

BostonBlue
05-29-2013, 14:36
LOL I swear I am not laughing AT you dude. I'm laughing at this site. Just when you think you've read every possible question, opinion, equipment issue, gear review - you read this. :D

treesloth
05-29-2013, 15:40
I purchased a titanium mountain laurel spoon the other day, I like the fact that it is long and light. Does anyone know if there is a way to polish the spoon part where it isnt so textured. It feels weird to eat out of it.

Hi. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you haven't done a 20+ mile day that leaves you so hungry, you'd shovel food into your mouth with your cathole trowel and not think a thing of it. Not trying to call you out, but I'm not even sure how to address the problem that you have with the smoothness (or lack thereof?) of your spoon. Good luck, though. :)

memphistiger02
05-29-2013, 15:45
I have done a 22 mile day hike and I was hungry at the end of the day, I could have eaten with my finger , doesnt mean I want to though. Sorry it was a stupid question. I guess asking something like what packit gourmet food you like best is stupid as well since you would eat anything after your big hike. Please forgive a new person here, thought it was a place to ask questions and learn about backpacking. Sorry I wasted your time.

cincykid
05-29-2013, 15:54
I bought a fold/retractable plastic one for the same reason. It is a lot better. check em out

BostonBlue
05-29-2013, 16:00
I have done a 22 mile day hike and I was hungry at the end of the day, I could have eaten with my finger , doesnt mean I want to though. Sorry it was a stupid question. I guess asking something like what packit gourmet food you like best is stupid as well since you would eat anything after your big hike. Please forgive a new person here, thought it was a place to ask questions and learn about backpacking. Sorry I wasted your time.

It wasn't a stupid question. It just struck me as funny. And unexpected. :eek: You didn't waste our time and this IS the place to learn about backpacking. Stick around. None of us meant to be rude or unkind.

memphistiger02
05-29-2013, 16:05
It wasn't a stupid question. It just struck me as funny. And unexpected. :eek: You didn't waste our time and this IS the place to learn about backpacking. Stick around. None of us meant to be rude or unkind.

The texture on the spoon was unexpected to me, nothing like I am used to. Its like high grit sandpaper.

treesloth
05-29-2013, 16:08

Relax dude, most of us here don't bite... myself included. As I said I wasn't trying to call you out, I was just trying to make sense of your question... i.e why would you want to polish a part of a spoon that "isn't so textured". Jeez, if Lone Wolf gave you one of his Laconic replies you might have really gotten your knickers in a twist. :)

P.S. I'm no expert myself.

BostonBlue
05-29-2013, 16:08
Could it have been a manufacturing error? Have you checked others? Heck, if need be - call the company and ask them to send you a new one.

BostonBlue
05-29-2013, 16:10
Relax dude, most of us here don't bite... myself included. As I said I wasn't trying to call you out, I was just trying to make sense of your question... i.e why would you want to polish a part of a spoon that "isn't so textured". Jeez, if Lone Wolf gave you one of his Laconic replies you might have really gotten your knickers in a twist. :)

:D He doesn't even want to THINK about what LW would say. LOL

atmilkman
05-29-2013, 16:10

Excluding yourself, have you noticed the other 3 posters in this thread have a big city in their username? Coincidence?

treesloth
05-29-2013, 16:14
Excluding yourself, have you noticed the other 3 posters in this thread have a big city in their username? Coincidence?

Dang, ATM, I'd have never noticed that. And I'm a quality assurance engineer. lol

TroutknuT
05-29-2013, 16:18
Cabala has Optimus long handel spoons with a chrome end. I to hate the sandpaper feel.

BostonBlue
05-29-2013, 16:20
Have you noticed how the other three posters have edible items in their username? :)

memphistiger02
05-29-2013, 16:26
Cabala has Optimus long handel spoons with a chrome end. I to hate the sandpaper feel.

Thanks Trout.

treesloth
05-29-2013, 16:27
Have you noticed how the other three posters have edible items in their username? :)

Here's something even stranger: All the usernames on this thread have at least two of the same letters within that name.

I am getting FREAKED OUT here. Talk about coincidence!!

;-)

atmilkman
05-29-2013, 16:27
Touché. You need to drop in at the café sometime. I have a titanium spoon and a retractable plastic. Both feel "gritty". I have an aluminum one that doesn't. Cleaning the ti and plastic ones is a little bit of a pain also.

DLP
05-29-2013, 17:06
Glad you posted this. Saved me some $$$ and I'm no longer wanting a gritty bowled, hard to clean spoon. Who would have thought to ask, "What do you hate about your titanium spoon?" and have multuple people say it is kind of yucky to eat with.

litefoot2000
05-29-2013, 17:37
I could tell in the store that the problem you describe would exist. That's why I use lexan. And lexan is cheap.

4Bears
05-29-2013, 17:56
Here is a link for polishing titanium, but is more for restoring the luster, http://www.wikihow.com/Polish-Titanium . Personally I would try some automotive polishing compound first by hand and a soft cloth to see what progress could be made. If it was working then try it on a buffer wheel on my bench grinder, maybe even try a medium to fine jewelers rouge. I have seen Ti polished to a bright smooth finish equaling a good stainless so take some time and work at it. I also would start with the upper part of the handle first, perfect my craft then do the bowl of the spoon.

PD230SOI
05-30-2013, 04:08
some sort of polishing compound or rouge with a rag. You could try emory paper as well.

JAK
05-30-2013, 05:22
I hate posting here because of all the long usernames with lower case letters.

I would suggest finding a buddy with a dremel tool, and polishing compound.

JAK
05-30-2013, 05:23
OMG who let the guy in here with numbers in his name ???

Sly
05-30-2013, 05:54
I could tell in the store that the problem you describe would exist. That's why I use lexan. And lexan is cheap.

I prefer lexan. Titanium on titanium is as irritating as fingernails scraping a chalkboard.

Sampson
05-30-2013, 06:30
Using a buffer wheel and some polishing compound would probably do the trick, but you could probably buy several other spoon incarnations with the money and time spent on fixing what you've got. Or, you could go pick up whatever you need form a fast food joint (knife, fork, spoon). Grab some mayo, mustard and whatever else you need while you're there to really make your meal more comfortable.

JAK
05-30-2013, 06:32
I also prefer plastic, thick plastic, because I hate thin flatware, and so if it is to be thick it may as well be plastic, to be lighter for the same thickness. Also feels better. At home I prefer thick quality stainless, one of Oneida's simpler patterns, and thick quality lexan provides a similar feel and shape without being too heavy.

moytoy
05-30-2013, 07:06

A wet/dry sandpaper should work fine. Ti is not hard so it sands better than steel. You may find that a 100 grit smooths better than a 200 grit.

daddytwosticks
05-30-2013, 07:09
I too have a long-handled ti spoon and know what the OP is talking about. However, it dosen't bother me at all. Just something to get used to, like smart-ass comments. :)

Marta
05-30-2013, 08:59
We have a couple of titanium spoons, one from backpackinglight and one from REI, both of which are super smooth. Can you send your spoon back?

In the concerning taste there is no argument department...I hate eating from Lexan, and dislike disposable plastic spoons even more.

memphistiger02
05-30-2013, 09:01
Thanks for the actual helpful answers. I may try over the weekend to fix it up.

memphistiger02
05-30-2013, 09:02
We have a couple of titanium spoons, one from backpackinglight and one from REI, both of which are super smooth. Can you send your spoon back?

In the concerning taste there is no argument department...I hate eating from Lexan, and dislike disposable plastic spoons even more.

It was only $8 so I dont mind eating the cost. Maybe I can fix it.

Marta
05-30-2013, 09:07
We bought a couple of titanium sporks with that pebbly texture you're talking about. The texture wasn't nearly as much of a problem as the prone-ness of sporks to drip sauce all over one's clothes. I'm pretty sure those sporks are still kicking around the gear room.

memphistiger02
05-30-2013, 09:57
We bought a couple of titanium sporks with that pebbly texture you're talking about. The texture wasn't nearly as much of a problem as the prone-ness of sporks to drip sauce all over one's clothes. I'm pretty sure those sporks are still kicking around the gear room.

I havent ever really been a spork fan.

BostonBlue
05-30-2013, 10:05
Thanks for the actual helpful answers. I may try over the weekend to fix it up.

Sorry I wasted your time. :D

4Bears
05-30-2013, 16:28
OMG who let the guy in here with numbers in his name ???
Sorry I did try to keep the number thing to a minimum so as not to confuse those with a fear of numbers. LOL :banana

rocketsocks
05-30-2013, 16:49
It was only $8 so I dont mind eating the cost. Maybe I can fix it.oh no! don't do that...ingesting Ti can be harmful, just return it :D

seriously, I have noticed the same thing...don't care for it. and will try to sand as well....or bag it and go with plastic. Hot cheese is a bitch to clean from the Ti long handle spork....speaking from experience.

JAK
05-30-2013, 17:40
Sorry I did try to keep the number thing to a minimum so as not to confuse those with a fear of numbers. LOL :banana...and there goes the neighbourhood. :-)

4Bears
05-30-2013, 20:37
...and there goes the neighbourhood. :-)

LOL ....... JAK227843921777776544 Have a great day

Wise Old Owl
05-30-2013, 20:41

Serious as a heatbeat... it is a good question and we were laughing with you... not at you... no you should not polish as it most likely might have a coating. Any lighter I would suggest finger food...

Wise Old Owl
05-30-2013, 20:43
A wet/dry sandpaper should work fine. Ti is not hard so it sands better than steel. You may find that a 100 grit smooths better than a 200 grit.

You are funny can you say one word... Dremel?