PDA

View Full Version : Latest date to Flip-Flop from Katahdin?

JerseyBoy
05-29-2013, 14:29
I'm a thru-hiker that started May 6th and am currently in North Carolina. I won't have enough time to do the entire hike northbound, so I was thinking of flipping up to Maine around Labor Day and start south from there.

Is Labor Day too late to start south and get through the Whites? I should be doing 10-15 miles a day by then, was hoping to not flip any earlier than that.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

mrcoffeect
05-29-2013, 14:43
if it were me i would jump at the begining of august. the weather in maine is usually cooler than down in the mid atlantic section of trail. and it gives you ample time to get through new engand before the real cold sets in.

MDSection12
05-29-2013, 15:09
Depending on where you are in NC you are at a daily average of somewhere between 3.4 and 7.2 miles. Even at 7.2 miles per day the trail will take you a total of 303 days... Just curious; what is it that is holding you up so much?

JerseyBoy
05-29-2013, 15:38
I starter slow and out of shape, but my miles are going up daily. I do 8-9 mile days now, starting 10-12 in the next week or two, then hopefully getting to 15 a day by July 1. I'm slow but I'm getting faster each week, and not heading home until I'm done or the weather becomes unbearable.

RED-DOG
05-29-2013, 17:19
I starter slow and out of shape, but my miles are going up daily. I do 8-9 mile days now, starting 10-12 in the next week or two, then hopefully getting to 15 a day by July 1. I'm slow but I'm getting faster each week, and not heading home until I'm done or the weather becomes unbearable.

Good for you and Good Luck.

evyck da fleet
05-29-2013, 18:52
I agree with coffee. Jump at the beginning of August and hike Maine/NH when the weather is nice. If you're going to miss part of the Trail let it be the mid Atlantic since that's probably the easiest to go back and do if you're not in trail shape.

Blissful
05-29-2013, 20:49
You won't do high miles in lower ME and NH, so plan accordingly. Agree with the flip flop in early August.

fredmugs
05-30-2013, 07:36
Early August for sure. Through Maine and the Whites you should plan on doing about 75% of what you can normally do mileage wise. If the trail is wet and muddy even less.