PDA

View Full Version : Wild Asparagus in Urban Park

Kookork
05-29-2013, 20:43
I found an active batch of wild asparagus yesterday in our local park in the middle of Toronto. Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS_QDI5yLbg

Have you had similar experience?

4Bears
05-29-2013, 20:53
Wild onions, garlic, ramps all available in the woods and fields in many areas. If you found a patch of asparagus quietly harvest it through the spring, keep the location close to your vest, like folks do with a mushroom patch. Enjoy it lightly grilled or steamed with some butter.

Dogwood
05-29-2013, 21:06
Never spotted it growing wild. Find some Chanterlles, Ramps, Brook Lettuce, Mustard or Dandelion greens, and some wild ginger and ooh la la.

Kookork
05-29-2013, 21:22
The last 10 days I was in a private chalet with 200 acre wild and semi wild forest and apple orchard.What you call ramps we call wild leeks and it was plenty. This patch of asparagus is not my secret alone and is not in country side , it is an the middle of an urban trail /park. I prefer to see some of them grow and make it to the next year if the other guy let's it happen.

HikerMom58
05-29-2013, 22:39
That's interesting KoKo... I hope it can keep growing there like that. :)

Dogwood
05-29-2013, 22:49
HM I think you have to cut down the spears each yr(sometimes twice) and let new young tender ones grow up to be harvested. I think they replant this crop every few yrs too. I've never personally grown Asparagus thou. Someone who has will chime in.

twilight
05-29-2013, 22:56
I have a co worker, who finds this stuff all over the place in Bucks County, PA. He spies from his work truck growing wild along the roadside.

Twilight

Kookork
05-29-2013, 23:02
Anybody else ? Your experience ?Your knowledge?. Come On!!

archie
05-30-2013, 00:45
Its everywhere around here. grows very fast check and harvest everyday and like already said, keep it to yourself of you will find it snipped off before you get there!

pelenaka
05-30-2013, 07:23
In years past my children & I would forage in our neighborhood for apples, pears, plums, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and rhubarb. Processed for caning into sauces, jams, jellies, and the occasional liquor. Life in an urban 100+ year old hood.
Personally I've never had any luck growing asparagus but I keep trying.
Enjoy Koorkork.