PDA

View Full Version : Hot Springs north to Standing Bear Hostel

msujay
05-30-2013, 08:21
I am looking for input on the 33 mile section heading north (or south?) from Hot Springs to Standing Bear Hostel at Green Corner Road. We are two in-shape, AT experienced hikers. Our plan is to hike all day, hopefully reaching Max Patch near sunset, then to night hike the remaining miles to our car at Standing Bear. Are we nuts? Any input (or name calling) is greatly appreciated.

Gray Blazer
05-30-2013, 08:41
I am looking for input on the 33 mile section heading north (or south?) from Hot Springs to Standing Bear Hostel at Green Corner Road. We are two in-shape, AT experienced hikers. Our plan is to hike all day, hopefully reaching Max Patch near sunset, then to night hike the remaining miles to our car at Standing Bear. Are we nuts? Any input (or name calling) is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like a lot of fun to me.

flemdawg1
05-30-2013, 08:46
Define "in shape"? If you are able to run 33 miles, then yes you can do it.

Otherwise take your time (2days) and actually enjoy it.

max patch
05-30-2013, 08:56
I would question that you have the experience to do this since you don't even know which direction to hike.

Other than that, good luck.

moldy
05-30-2013, 08:57
The should be a snap. I did it at age 62 NOBO and arrived in time for a late lunch.

Gray Blazer
05-30-2013, 09:01
I would question that you have the experience to do this since you don't even know which direction to hike.

Very Funny
LOL

msujay
05-30-2013, 09:04

I've section hiked on the AT 8-10 times in the past, including 25-mile days. I run trails 20-25 miles per week and participate in trail racing, orienteering and adventure racing.

I'm not saying I don't know what direction to hike, I'm saying I haven't decided whether to go north of south.

msujay
05-30-2013, 09:06
Define "in shape"? If you are able to run 33 miles, then yes you can do it.

Otherwise take your time (2days) and actually enjoy it.

I enjoy this kind of hike. May sound silly, but to each their own.

msujay
05-30-2013, 09:07
We are also considering starting at Brown Gap and heading south. More reasonable mileage and elevation gain/loss.

msujay
05-30-2013, 09:08
We are also considering starting at Brown Gap and heading south. More reasonable mileage and elevation gain/loss.

Sorry, I meant head north from Brown Gap! max patch may be onto something...

Gray Blazer
05-30-2013, 09:40
Start at Snowbird and get a running start downhill.

flemdawg1
05-30-2013, 10:18
I've section hiked on the AT 8-10 times in the past, including 25-mile days. I run trails 20-25 miles per week and participate in trail racing, orienteering and adventure racing.

I'm not saying I don't know what direction to hike, I'm saying I haven't decided whether to go north of south.

If a 25 mile day in TOUGH terrain is your's AND your partner's idea of fun, have at it.

My personal preference is a 15 day stop at a nice campsite and still enjoy walking the next day. I get physical challenge aspect, I've done a couple of trail HMs myself. But being hobbled for the better part of the next week following these feats have dampened my enthusiasm for biting off more than I can chew.

rka001
05-30-2013, 12:33
I would prefer to spend the night. Both Max Patch and Snowbird Mt. are beautiful just pasted thru that area a couple of weeks ago. I would stop and smell the honeysuckle.