PDA

View Full Version : Big bear(s) near Erwin TN?

joshuasdad
05-30-2013, 09:22
Was warned about this after finishing a night hike (Nolichucky to Spivey Gap) a bit after midnight. After seeing a couple of quite large "deposits" on the trail, and hearing some unusual noises in the dark woods, there may be some justification for the lady calling me "crazy...respectfully speaking...". Supposedly the bear(s) like walking the trail, and one is "big".

Has anyone heard anything unusual about this area that would make night hikes inadvisable?

Oh, and I thought the first "deposit" was something that a hiker dropped, like a hat or a small bag. So I kicked it with the toe of my trailrunner. Not the best of ideas...

Pedaling Fool
05-30-2013, 09:48
Black bears are not strictly nocturnal and big black bears are all around, including on the AT. The only thing to be worried about at night is the boogey man.

Wildlife officials capture largest black bear in Florida history

The largest black bear ever captured in Florida has reportedly been relocated after being trapped near the Ocala National Forest.

The 620-pound bear, which had been getting into trash at the national forest, was captured near Paisley on Monday, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokeswoman Joy Hill told The Daily Commercial.

“This bear was so used to getting into trash that even after the garbage was secured in a shed, he returned and pulled the aluminum siding off to get at his free meal,” FWC officials wrote on its website.

The catch marked the largest black bear ever captured in the Sunshine State, Hill said, but the largest documented black bear was a 624-pounder that was struck and killed by a car in Naples several years ago.

Biologists were able to sedate the bear in order to collect hair samples and give him an exam, identification tattoo and ear tag, FWC officials said.

“Bears that habitually feed on human-supplied foods such as garbage and wildlife feed or pet food can become abnormally large because of the high number of calories found in these food sources,” FWC officials said.

Wildlife officials estimate there are 3,500 black bears in Florida.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/05/28/wildlife-officials-capture-largest-black-bear-in-florida-history/#ixzz2Umd82DVu

MDSection12
05-30-2013, 09:53
Just about all animals use the trails, they're just the easiest way to move through the woods. I see 'deposits' all over the trails where I mountain bike. I don't see how that changes anything in regards to night hiking though.

joshuasdad
05-30-2013, 10:10
Just about all animals use the trails, they're just the easiest way to move through the woods. I see 'deposits' all over the trails where I mountain bike. I don't see how that changes anything in regards to night hiking though.

In 1300+ AT miles, saw lots of evidence, but only one small bear (running away), so not all that worried. There are on occasion "bad" bears, like the one at Cosby Knob that was stealing packs from the shelter, so just checking to see if there is anything unusual going on.

I'm pretty sure that unsolicited advice received via a drive-thru window at 1 AM probably is not the most reliable, but as I already had an uncomfortable feeling while doing that section, thought I would ask here.

FarmerChef
05-30-2013, 11:07
I want to say that I've seen a past thread or an article somewhere (maybe the ATC magazine) about someone putting a photo trap on the trail and capturing animals that use it at night. Ah here it is (http://www.livescience.com/24756-humans-alter-wildlife-along-appalachian-trail.html). Eye opening to see all the wildlife.

This past spring I hiked during winter storm Virgil and with the fresh snow could pick out lots of tracks explicitly following the trail, including bear cub we followed for a while before realizing we a. were and b. were getting close :eek

Grits
05-30-2013, 12:30
Has anyone heard anything unusual about this area that would make night hikes inadvisable?

Oh, and I thought the first "deposit" was something that a hiker dropped, like a hat or a small bag. So I kicked it with the toe of my trailrunner. Not the best of ideas...

This warning is something I picked up from a book about a thru hike. I can't remember but maybe something to consider :banana
In some parts of the trail, bears have reportedly learned that they can lure hikers off the trail by stomping false dead-end paths, crudely blazed with a white, honey-based paste. By the time the hiker realizes anything is amiss, the trap is sprung and the hiker hears a loud rustling behind them. So, if you're out hiking the AT and see a questionable white blaze, be sure to lick it. If it tastes sweet, turn around verrrry slowly...

Tennessee Viking
05-30-2013, 14:38
Was warned about this after finishing a night hike (Nolichucky to Spivey Gap) a bit after midnight. After seeing a couple of quite large "deposits" on the trail, and hearing some unusual noises in the dark woods, there may be some justification for the lady calling me "crazy...respectfully speaking...". Supposedly the bear(s) like walking the trail, and one is "big".

There have been a couple encounters with bears stealing food at No Business shelter.

I have seen scat along the trail from the bridge up to the climb to Curley Maple.