PDA

View Full Version : Loose Fly Hennessy

DrunkenEngineer
07-16-2005, 14:25
I have a Hennessy Explorer with a larger SilyNylon MadCat rain fly. However, my tarp always loses all of its tension as soon as I sit in the hammock. No matter how much I retighten the fly after, it never holds.

The reason for this is because my weight in the hammock shortens the distance of the rain fly along the ridge line.

How can I fix this, I'm thinking about adding shock cord to the 4 points where I stake out the corners of the rain fly??

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Smee
07-16-2005, 16:30
Tie the tarp ridge line cords to the trees. Don't use the hooks on the hammock cords. As long as the tarp is afixed to the hammock cords, when the hammock sags the tarp will sag.

neo
07-16-2005, 18:49
Tie the tarp ridge line cords to the trees. Don't use the hooks on the hammock cords. As long as the tarp is afixed to the hammock cords, when the hammock sags the tarp will sag.
on any oversized tarp thats what i do also,i i have a jacks r better 8x8 silnylon tarp and my wife has a oversized hex silnylon tarp by hennessey hammock,i take
the cord and center it with the hammock and tie it in a figure 8 knot at each end of a tree,works great:cool: neo

peter_pan
07-16-2005, 22:25
Use whatever knot you like just tie to the trees.

Pan

CanoeBlue
07-16-2005, 22:51
I purchased a Hennessey Hex - but found it to be heavy - so I made one of Silnylon - with extra tie-outs and a set of light "d" rings on both sides so that it can be pulled up and away from the hammock from the outside, and I can string a clothesline inside beside the Hammock.

The hammock has it's own set of snakeskins (that I made) and is set up separately from the hammock - allowing me to relax of cook under it when it is raining, and if the hammock is also up but still in snake-skins it is up and out of the way and very quick to deploy when it is time to turn in.

DrunkenEngineer
07-17-2005, 02:45

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I was thinking of adding an entire new ridge line for the fly, but if you just use another set of guy lines on the sides and tie them directly to the tree it will have the same effect with a lot less hassel and weight.

I've asked this question to many people and many different forums, and this is the first time I think we have it solved. THANKS!

Footslogger
07-17-2005, 18:21
[QUOTE=DrunkenEngineer]I have a Hennessy Explorer with a larger SilyNylon MadCat rain fly. However, my tarp always loses all of its tension as soon as I sit in the hammock. No matter how much I retighten the fly after, it never holds.
=================================================
I had the same problem. I took some 1/8" shock cord and tied loop in the end rings of the fly (and to the ground tieouts as well). The shock cord maintains tension and adjusts for hammock sagging and temperature changes.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Just Jeff
07-18-2005, 20:38
I don't know why Tom doesn't use shock cord to attach the fly. Seems like many folks complain about his stock flies sagging when they use his attachment system.

Like PP and Smee explain...it's just physics. So either tie it to the tree or make your own tensioning device until Tom designs it into his hammocks.

I tie my tarp separately and stow it in an outer pack pocket so I can set up in the rain without even opening my pack. My hammock/underquilt stays inside my pack until I'm ready for bed.

FWIW, I still use a slingshot tensioning device on the "ground corners" of the JRB 8x8. With old military ponchos, I can just pull them tight enough without worrying about ripping the material, but with the lightweight stuff I don't pull so tight and the tensioners keep me nice and tight all night. Pics here: http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HomemadeGearTarpTensioner.html

Footslogger
07-18-2005, 21:09
[QUOTE=Just Jeff]I tie my tarp separately and stow it in an outer pack pocket so I can set up in the rain without even opening my pack.
=========================================
I tie mine separately too ...but I still use the shock cord loops on all all attaching points of the fly.

'Slogger