PDA

View Full Version : Clothing for GA section in a week?

slbirdnerd
05-30-2013, 16:10
I have whittled and whittled, and my only gear question left is what clothes to take for a GA section hike in a week? Will be out 9 days into mid-June. Including what I'm wearing I have: 2 wicking tees, 2 lightweight convertible pants, 1 LS wicking sun shirt (not warm), 1 lightweight quarter zip fleece, 3 smartwool socks, 3 undies, 2 bras, 1 set lightweight smartwool long johns, 1 Marmot precip jacket, 1 Tyvek pants, Seattle sombrero brimmed rain hat. This seems like too much. I have a 25 degree down bag with a liner; is it likely I need the base layer for sleeping? Thanks!

05-30-2013, 16:21
2 wicking tees,
1 lightweight convertible pants,
1 lightweight quarter zip fleece,
3 smartwool socks, 3 undies, 2 bras,,
1 Marmot precip jacket, ,
Seattle sombrero brimmed rain hat.
25 degree down bag May be a bit much, I just switched to a 40 in Virginia
You may want a bug head net, I like them wore over a ball cap just to keep the knatts out of my face/ears
I cut some from your list. Just my 2 cent

flemdawg1
05-30-2013, 17:49
2 wicking tees,
2 lightweight convertible pants,
1 LS wicking sun shirt (not warm),
1 lightweight quarter zip fleece,
3 smartwool socks,
3 undies,
2 bras,
1 set lightweight smartwool long johns,
1 Marmot precip jacket,
1 Tyvek pants,
Seattle sombrero brimmed rain hat.

Lose the fleece or the long johns, also ditch the tyvek pants

Coldest worst case is low 40s a ss tee, ls sun shirt, fleece, and precip should be able to keep you warm. I also carry a beanie year round.

Chris10
05-30-2013, 21:36
I know you've got to be excited! Send me your blog post address again, so I can read about your adventures! We'll be following about two week behind you, so Ill be looking for you in the registers as well. As for the list, I'm hoping you won't need the long johns or Tyveck pants and agree with the post about the bug head net!

DLP
05-30-2013, 22:38
The average daytime June temp in Dahlonega GA is 86 degrees. Record high is 102.
Average night time June temp is 68 and record low is 39.
Average June rain is 5"

You can plug in city of your choice http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/30533

I think I'd wear one wicking tee, bra, shorts with panty attached, socks and a hat.

I'd pack:
1 tee for sleeping in.
1 undie
one long pants, to keep sun or bugs or mosquitoes off. (but I'm not a convertible pants fan).
1 LS wicking sun shirt, for sun and mosquitoes.
1 lightweight quarter zip fleece (maybe... probably... I don't know. :))
2 socks - one for hiking and one super lightweight for after hiking.
0 extra bra
0 set lightweight smartwool long johns, with a 25 degree bag it is very doubtful that you will need long johns unless you are a VERY cold sleeper. It is actually possible that with an average nightime temps in the 50's and 60's that you may be too warm.
1 Marmot precip jacket
0 rain pants - 80 degrees and raining... you will roast in them. Edit... make that steam.

But you can take what makes you comfortable and you will discover how many bras or clothes are right for you!
Most of all, have fun!

DLP
05-30-2013, 22:41
I'll also add beanie

Fruitt
05-31-2013, 00:17
I'm doing the same same section starting the 4th. I'm wearing a light weight poly long sleeve top, nylon shorts with belt, visor and smart wool socks with trail runners.
in my bag
-beanie
-fleece gloves(fingerless)
-another long sleeve lightweight top
-UL short sleeve top
-nylon long pants
-one pair underwear
-second pair smartwool socks
-silk sock liners (to sleep in)
-bathing suit ( second pair of shorts ultralight)
-bug headnet
-golite poncho/packcover

See you out there!!

DLP
05-31-2013, 02:15
I'd also leave the sleeping bag liner. I think that you might be roasting. :)

daddytwosticks
05-31-2013, 07:09
Ditch the long johns. Take a hat for evenings/sleeping. :)

moldy
05-31-2013, 07:51
At this time of year in this area you only need one set of clothing plus one shirt just in case you get wet. Plenty of opportunity to do laundry. Also on June 21 you don't need any clothing.

slbirdnerd
05-31-2013, 08:49
Thanks, all, this is great advice. I DO have the beanie in the bag; doubles as my freezer baggin' coozie.

Kerosene
05-31-2013, 09:36
Yes, that is too much. A good rule-of-thumb is one set of clothes to hike in, and another set for camp. It should be more than warm enough during the day that you'll be able to walk in shorts and a T-shirt. The leaves should be out enough that you won't need your LS sun shirt, but you'll want a warm LS shirt for camp plus a 100-wt fleece plus a windshell/rain jacket for camp. You may or may not need the longjohns, but I'd bring them if you're not sure. A 25-degree bag should be sufficient, and I'd forego the liner.