PDA

View Full Version : Overflowing your bottle

treesloth
05-30-2013, 17:02
Just curious - has anyone ever overflowed their pee bottle in the middle of the night? I have a great fear of it. I'm sure this phobia has a legitimate name.

Gray Blazer
05-30-2013, 17:19
Overphlowbia?

BostonBlue
05-30-2013, 17:35
Urinoverthetopolis??

moytoy
05-30-2013, 17:46
Use a 32oz gatoraid bottle and you shouldn't have to worry. Most men's bladders won't hold more than 20 oz. My doctor seems happy when I can squeeze out 16 oz. The 16oz doctor thing is something us old geezers have to do:)

hikerboy57
05-30-2013, 17:50
Use a 32oz gatoraid bottle and you shouldn't have to worry. Most men's bladders won't hold more than 20 oz. My doctor seems happy when I can squeeze out 16 oz. The 16oz doctor thing is something us old geezers have to do:)remember to tighten the lid afterward

rocketsocks
05-30-2013, 17:52
remember to tighten the lid afterwardand don't mistake it for gator aid in the middle of the night:p

moytoy
05-30-2013, 18:09
and don't mistake it for gator aid in the middle of the night:p
fresh unine is sterile. if you drink it you may gag but it won't hurt you.

rocketsocks
05-30-2013, 18:10
fresh unine is sterile. if you drink it you may gag but it won't hurt you.Yeah but I don't want the extra salt...hypertension you know!:D

hikerboy57
05-30-2013, 18:10
fresh unine is sterile. if you drink it you may gag but it won't hurt you.
may not hurt you, but I can see a ruined sleeping bag in the picture

Sailing_Faith
05-30-2013, 18:21
may not hurt you, but I can see a ruined sleeping bag in the picture

Might be a good way to make sure you have the shelter all to yourself though.

treesloth
05-30-2013, 19:16
Didn't know that 20oz thing, but I guess I could have looked it up too. At one point I actually thought of using a gallon ziploc, just to be sure, but then I knew I'd be concerned that I didn't seal it correctly. On my bike ride today, I homogenized in my head how "Overflow" would be received as my trail name. Probably not too well.

Turk6177
05-30-2013, 19:30
That is why I sleep in a tent. I don't even have to get up. I open the tent zipper, roll on my side and let it fly. By morning the ground has soaked it all up.

snifur
05-30-2013, 20:06
i dont understand the concept of the bottle. you travel with a bottle for the sole purpose to pee in? why? why not just go pee in the woods like normal people. with all the concerns over carrying the extra grams on WB why on earth would you carry a bottle to pee in. oh wait, never mind, you recycle. u pee in it at night because ur are to effing lazy to get ur lazy butt out of the shelter or tent. and then drink out of it during the day. or u r one of those that leave it at the shelters. either way it is pretty effing gross.

Drybones
05-30-2013, 20:25
Looks like it would be more trouble to pee in a bottle than to just get up and go outside... nothing as invigorating as snow flakes landing on a naked body, make you feel alive.

snifur
05-30-2013, 20:28
aircraft flying overhead, the zing and ricochet of rounds, sand in every crevice has the same effect. you realize life. peeing in a bottle seems like preparation for death. if you still got legs be thankful and use them.

treesloth
05-30-2013, 20:28
i dont understand the concept of the bottle. you travel with a bottle for the sole purpose to pee in? why? why not just go pee in the woods like normal people. with all the concerns over carrying the extra grams on WB why on earth would you carry a bottle to pee in. oh wait, never mind, you recycle. u pee in it at night because ur are to effing lazy to get ur lazy butt out of the shelter or tent. and then drink out of it during the day. or u r one of those that leave it at the shelters. either way it is pretty effing gross.

And I thought my pee vessel anxiety was abnormal. :)

snifur
05-30-2013, 20:37
abnormal and failure to conform is healthy. be unique, live long, and die strong and fast. or you can contract pecker to lips disease by drinking from you stupid pee bottle. your choice. you do you and i will go the opposite.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2013, 20:43
Just curious - has anyone ever overflowed their pee bottle in the middle of the night? I have a great fear of it. I'm sure this phobia has a legitimate name.

get you butt up and go in the woods

da fungo
05-30-2013, 20:48
abnormal and failure to conform is healthy. be unique, live long, and die strong and fast. or you can contract pecker to lips disease by drinking from you stupid pee bottle. your choice. you do you and i will go the opposite.

Boy oh boy, if only pecker to lips WERE fatal. My ex would be ancient history.

Wise Old Owl
05-30-2013, 20:51
Don't drink anything after 7pm... no worries... your bladder can only hold 14-16 ounces...

atraildreamer
05-30-2013, 21:05
Nice yellow sleeping baq you have there :-? ...OH! :eek: Never mind... :rolleyes: :D :banana

hikerboy57
05-30-2013, 21:09
i still want to know if sidesaddle is preferred over kneeling in ones tent. alot less trouble to take few steps outside

Malto
05-30-2013, 21:25
Bivies are even better than tents for the middle of the night missions.

rocketsocks
05-30-2013, 21:34
Now lets discuss the how-too's of deification in a 1gal. zip lock bag, ya know, birthing the angry turtle head...it's been a while!

treesloth
05-31-2013, 09:32

You and Irishbastard should hang out.

MDSection12
05-31-2013, 09:45

Wow man, I largely agree with you... But why the anger? If people want to pee in a bottle then that's fine, just keep your bottle away from me. :sun

fredmugs
05-31-2013, 11:16
Boy oh boy, if only pecker to lips WERE fatal. My ex would be ancient history.

Awesome! PYOP

MyName1sMud
05-31-2013, 12:30
Wait. People don't get up to use the bathroom?

Interesting

MDSection12
05-31-2013, 12:32
Anybody have recommendations for a UL catheter?

BirdBrain
05-31-2013, 12:40
Wait. People don't get up to use the bathroom?

Interesting

While on a shakedown hike this weekend I thought of an old thread saw on this subject. I was on Tumbledown Mountain in Weld Maine. Temperatures were in the 20's. I was sleeping in a bag rated for 45 and in a bivy. About 2 AM I had the urge and thought, "I wonder if the bottle trick would have been worth it?" I left my cocoon and did my business. Even in those conditions it seemed like it would be less work to use the ground as it would be to use a bottle.

MyName1sMud
05-31-2013, 12:50
While on a shakedown hike this weekend I thought of an old thread saw on this subject. I was on Tumbledown Mountain in Weld Maine. Temperatures were in the 20's. I was sleeping in a bag rated for 45 and in a bivy. About 2 AM I had the urge and thought, "I wonder if the bottle trick would have been worth it?" I left my cocoon and did my business. Even in those conditions it seemed like it would be less work to use the ground as it would be to use a bottle.

For some reason I thought of the movie Dumb & Dumber.

Love the cop. "You fellas been tipping back on some of grandpa's old cough medicine?"

hahhahahahaha

rocketsocks
05-31-2013, 14:05
i dont understand the concept of the bottle. you travel with a bottle for the sole purpose to pee in? why? why not just go pee in the woods like normal people. with all the concerns over carrying the extra grams on WB why on earth would you carry a bottle to pee in. oh wait, never mind, you recycle. u pee in it at night because ur are to effing lazy to get ur lazy butt out of the shelter or tent. and then drink out of it during the day. or u r one of those that leave it at the shelters. either way it is pretty effing gross.Not laziness...when the winds are blowing 45 miles per hour @ 2 in the morning, it's just easier to stop, drop, and flow.

BirdBrain
05-31-2013, 14:09
Not laziness...when the winds are blowing 45 miles per hour @ 2 in the morning, it's just easier to stop, drop, and flow.

It was and I did... outside my bivy and tarp. :)

slow mind
05-31-2013, 14:16
21822 Or for the UL crowd this one is light and doubles as a pillow. 21821

Drybones
05-31-2013, 14:18
I've failed to go outside and pee only once. Camping during bow season a few years back, woke up with the urge, thought it will only be another hour before I get up anyway so I'll wait, went back to sleep and started dreaming.... I was standing in a sand ditch where I squirrel hunted when I was young, drilling a hole in the sand,.........

Drybones
05-31-2013, 14:20
21822 Or for the UL crowd this one is light and doubles as a pillow. 21821

Should work well for stomach sleepers.

rocketsocks
05-31-2013, 14:29
It was and I did... outside my bivy and tarp. :)Well, some of us are very susceptible to "SHRINKAGE" even the slightest of breezes can make a difference:D....it's a Scottish thing.

rocketsocks
05-31-2013, 14:30
Well, some of us are very susceptible to "SHRINKAGE" even the slightest of breezes can make a difference:D....it's a Scottish thing.In Mexico I believe it's pronounced ..."Lil' Pingo"

treesloth
05-31-2013, 14:57
Not laziness...when the winds are blowing 45 miles per hour @ 2 in the morning, it's just easier to stop, drop, and flow.

See, that's what I'm saying. But snifur, the manly man that he is, doesn't agree. Nor do I need him (or anyone else) to. What's 'gross' to me is the sheer amount of people on the trail who likely practice no safe after-relief sanitation practices. I'm sure there would be a lot less sickness if everyone were a bit more vigilant about that. But I digress.

snifur
05-31-2013, 22:05
sloth, you introduce a great point. sanitation is integral to a successful hike with health. i prefer to remain clean and pee away from my body and away from others. it was taught to me before i was two years old. i am fully potty trained. people like you evidently are bladder control challenged and require emergency pee procedures in the event of a crisis. i am not judging you. i am judging all pee bottle users for their lack of decency. during my thru i can not count how many people peed from inside the shelter. some would stand and pee off the edge. on one occasion i witnessed the result of the baggie technique and the horror of the female that received the effects of said baggie. others would use the bottle. the bottle use produces a distinct sound during the filling process. let me ask you- do you carry a gallon jug and pass it around at night to share with your hiking buddies or is everyone left to decide their own method for pee depository and disposal?

moytoy
06-05-2013, 06:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLIppgE45wM

Edro
06-05-2013, 07:03
Never let anyone say WB failed to cover all the important subjects related to the perils of hiking!

Autumn A.
06-05-2013, 07:06
sloth, you introduce a great point. sanitation is integral to a successful hike with health. i prefer to remain clean and pee away from my body and away from others. it was taught to me before i was two years old. i am fully potty trained. people like you evidently are bladder control challenged and require emergency pee procedures in the event of a crisis. i am not judging you. i am judging all pee bottle users for their lack of decency. during my thru i can not count how many people peed from inside the shelter. some would stand and pee off the edge. on one occasion i witnessed the result of the baggie technique and the horror of the female that received the effects of said baggie. others would use the bottle. the bottle use produces a distinct sound during the filling process. let me ask you- do you carry a gallon jug and pass it around at night to share with your hiking buddies or is everyone left to decide their own method for pee depository and disposal?
Woah. It's totally cool to disagree with someone's practices on the trail. You don't like peeing in a bottle? That's great, don't do it. It's even totally cool to express your opinion on this thread, but I think we could all do without your snide, sarcastic, negative side-comments that accompanied your opinion. Lumping people together and calling them all indecent is pretty harsh and not something you have the right to say about people you've never met. Hike your own hike and express your opinions respectfully... It'll make these forums a lot more enjoyable.

Theosus
06-05-2013, 07:29
As a hammock hanger - the pee bottle is intriguing. Now that I switched from a sleeping bag to a top quilt It is easier to just get out and go. Before - with the sleeping bag it was a wrestling match just to get out, pee, get in, get organized and fall asleep waiting for the underquilt to warm up again.
I like what someone else wrote once; "I carry one bottle marked "pee" which I put my water in. I pee in a Gatorade bottle. Should anyone ever steal my gatorade, they'll wish they hadn't!"

MDSection12
06-05-2013, 09:35

It's just peeing.

Lone Wolf
06-05-2013, 11:17
It's just peeing.

and laziness

Tipi Walter
06-05-2013, 12:54
Use a 32oz gatoraid bottle and you shouldn't have to worry. Most men's bladders won't hold more than 20 oz. My doctor seems happy when I can squeeze out 16 oz. The 16oz doctor thing is something us old geezers have to do:)

I'm happy to get a frothy 2 ounces. Then again, on another WB thread there's this---
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?77325-Are-convertible-pants-necessary&p=1204310&viewfull=1#post1204310

Drybones
06-05-2013, 14:54
It's just peeing.

I have to agree. I could care less if you pee in a bottle, hang it out the door, water a tree or pee in your sleeping bag, doesn't effect me one way way or another unless European on me....PYOP.

Datto
06-07-2013, 20:34
Just curious - has anyone ever overflowed their pee bottle in the middle of the night?

Ethyl was coming back from getting water down the hill. I hollered across the shelter and said "Don't look Ethyl".

It was too late. She'd already become Gatorized.

Datto

rocketsocks
06-07-2013, 20:37
Ethyl was coming back from getting water down the hill. I hollered across the shelter and said "Don't look Ethyl".

It was too late. She'd already become Gatorized.

DattoNow that's funny!:D

Sunwolf
06-08-2013, 00:12
I like using a pee bottle. I use a 32 oz gatorade bottle. I like putting build-a-bear clothes on it and naming it something really neat like "Claude" or "Willamina". I cradle it like a baby and show it off to all my hiker friends. I have long, drawn-out conversations with it. I especially like talking about politics and Rothschild conspiracy theories. Pee bottles are our shiny, watertight friends!

Drybones
06-08-2013, 08:56
I like using a pee bottle. I use a 32 oz gatorade bottle. I like putting build-a-bear clothes on it and naming it something really neat like "Claude" or "Willamina". I cradle it like a baby and show it off to all my hiker friends. I have long, drawn-out conversations with it. I especially like talking about politics and Rothschild conspiracy theories. Pee bottles are our shiny, watertight friends!

Off topic but this reminded me of a book..."Revenge of the Bear", written by Claude Balls.

Wise Old Owl
06-08-2013, 09:20
Well, some of us are very susceptible to "SHRINKAGE" even the slightest of breezes can make a difference:D....it's a Scottish thing.

Its very windy and cold in Scotland. Looks like a worm in a bird nest!

Datto
06-08-2013, 16:19
Deer Prudence:

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/06/06/too-much-deer-pee-changing-northern-forests/

Datto

Datto
06-08-2013, 16:29
I checked with NSA -- it's on the morning briefing for POTUS tomorrow morning.

Datto

Datto
06-08-2013, 16:40
Oh wait....it's Chinese "hacking" with an "a" they're discussing. I thought it was the other.

Nevermind. Forget I mentioned it.

Datto

Sailing_Faith
06-08-2013, 16:59

Were you just hiking in CT? I think I read someting about your travels there recently?

cool headband btw,

Old Hiker
06-08-2013, 17:24
Oh, good grief. It's nunnya. As in: none ya business what I do in my tent. Or in the corner of the shelter. I carry two 20 oz bottles that are DIFFERENT in shape and texture from my rectangular juice bottles. I've filled both up before and I DIDN'T drink after 2000 hours or so, since I was usually asleep. The first week, I'd go 4 -7 (yes - seven) times between 2000 and 0700. I was worried about the amounts and frequency, so I asked my RN/EMS brother who, after consulting with his Dr. bosses, told me it was normal, since I was exerting myself a LOT the first month or so, in addition to burning off a LOT of fat. It gradually tapered off to 14 oz or so per night going twice.

I'm not doing it in front of you. I'm not pouring the results out where people can walk through it. I dislike intensely getting out of my sleeping bag at night to pee, esp. numerous times. Ignore it like the rest of us ignore YOUR peccadilloes.

Autumn.A, thanks for the post. I liked the tone and sensibility.

moytoy
06-26-2013, 21:48
This is the main reason to use the bottle in FL. This is an excerpt from Chin's log today. I hope he doesn't mind.

Set up tent quickly.
Throw gear in tent.
Get in.
Zip up tent.
Double check zippers.
Spend 15 minutes killing the 100 mosquitoes that came in with you.
Relax and taunt the 1000 that are trying to get in.

T.S.Kobzol
06-26-2013, 22:03
The older I get the harder it is to sleep through the night without having to go plus it is much harder to fall back asleep if I walk out at 3am. The "you're in" bottle is here to stay

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2

Old Hiker
06-26-2013, 22:08
Man, this thread keeps going and flowing and dribbling and.....oops. Time to go.

Drybones
06-26-2013, 22:37
This is the main reason to use the bottle in FL. This is an excerpt from Chin's log today. I hope he doesn't mind.

Set up tent quickly.
Throw gear in tent.
Get in.
Zip up tent.
Double check zippers.
Spend 15 minutes killing the 100 mosquitoes that came in with you.
Relax and taunt the 1000 that are trying to get in.

I can relate to that, my tent has red dots all over the roof from a trip to Asateague Island (haven't a clue how to spell it, the one with the ponys). Never saw mosquetos that bad. I'm surprised there's been no mention of the little pests on that "worst dumps" thread...they're literally a pain in the butt, they know you're handicaped and take advantage of the opportunity.

max patch
06-26-2013, 22:39
I don't use a pee bottle because I believe in Murphys Law.

rocketsocks
06-26-2013, 22:41
I'm thinking about getting one of these...kind of a dual use thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPLl8gHPFAY

Drybones
06-26-2013, 22:46

I have a larger pink model I'll let go cheap, I need to remodel anyway...6' section of garden hose included.

max patch
06-26-2013, 22:47

Thats a good one 2 days in a row...you've set the bar pretty high for tomorrow....

rocketsocks
06-26-2013, 23:01
Thats a good one 2 days in a row...you've set the bar pretty high for tomorrow....

I should probably stop while I'm a head

rocketsocks
06-26-2013, 23:04
I have a larger pink model I'll let go cheap, I need to remodel anyway...6' section of garden hose included.check w/joe he may be lookin to remodel, I hear he's gettin lots of big stars these days

q-tip
06-27-2013, 08:43
One of the tricks I learned is to take a leak just before going to bed. I could usually get through the night without having to go. It sure beats an overflowing pee bottle....

Drybones
06-27-2013, 08:52

That'd make a good mouse trap, spring loaded lid that would slam shut when they came to take a whizz.

bear bag hanger
06-27-2013, 08:53

I use to think that. About ten years ago I went out to pee in the middle of the night and it was foggy to the point I couldn't see my hands if I held them out. I did my business, but couldn't find my way back to my hammock in the fog. About 20 minutes later, finally found it. Problem was it wasn't my hammock, it belonged to a girl I was hiking with and she wasn't too happy when I tried to crawl into her hammock!

vamelungeon
06-27-2013, 09:00
I just get up and go off and pee in a convenient spot then go back to my tent. Like someone else said, Murphy's Law means to me that I ain't peeing in my tent in a container.

Drybones
06-27-2013, 09:03
I use to think that. About ten years ago I went out to pee in the middle of the night and it was foggy to the point I couldn't see my hands if I held them out. I did my business, but couldn't find my way back to my hammock in the fog. About 20 minutes later, finally found it. Problem was it wasn't my hammock, it belonged to a girl I was hiking with and she wasn't too happy when I tried to crawl into her hammock!

That's a good one...bet she thought you was a bear.

treesloth
06-27-2013, 12:03
One of the tricks I learned is to take a leak just before going to bed. I could usually get through the night without having to go. It sure beats an overflowing pee bottle....

It's already been established though, that virtually no one will ever overflow a 32oz Gatorade bottle. I do think back to a time in my early 20's, the worst I ever had to go.. No need to go into a story about it, but all I can say is that I'd have definitely overflowed a pee bottle that night.

Where is Snifur? Come back and join the thread Snifur! I miss you and your condescending wit.

rocketsocks
06-27-2013, 12:30
I have two Gatorade bottles, one I use exclusively to pee in, the other is for mixed drinks like carnation instant breakfast, and virgin Margaritas. Once I grabbed to wrong bottle for breakfast, but because it had a salted rim I really didn't think much of it.....then I found my mixing bottle...now I mark em w/tape.:eek:

1Greywolf
06-27-2013, 12:33

Trail humor, the one of many reasons to sleep in a shelter. I used a pee bottle only when it was pouring or storming out side. A hiking buddy swore that peeing around his tent kept the bears away and other hikers. Lol
The dilemmas of living the life of the trail. It sounds to me that you are spending too much time thinking and not enough time hiking. By the way that phobia is called "
enourein nervosa"

Dogwood
06-27-2013, 16:30
Uhh, wetting the tent disorder?

ChinMusic
06-27-2013, 17:58
I've used a pee bottle for years. I ain't leaving my tent at night, whether that be because of cold, rain, fog, or bugs. There is just no reason.

I have never had an issue.

Maybe it's a skill.

rocketsocks
06-27-2013, 18:05
Grew up flying with my father, got use to peeing in a bottle...easier than hanging it out the window at 8,500 feet, especially at 9.

Cherokee Bill
06-27-2013, 18:19
Well damn, glad I'm not the only Ole Fart, that carries a pee-bottle, cause I gotta pee 4 - 5 times a night!!! (enlarged prostate & bladder cancer survivor). Gotta admit got a laugh or two reading these posts! :)

Drybones
06-27-2013, 19:53
I've never peed in a bottle before but youz guys have me curious, I'm going to try it next time out, I am wondering tho, if men cant hit a 2' toilet hole how they going to hit a 1" bottle hole.

ChinMusic
06-27-2013, 22:51
It's called point-blank distance.

Drybones
06-27-2013, 22:59
It's called point-blank distance.

I may still need at least a mason jar.

ChinMusic
06-27-2013, 23:02
Quit bragging.

atmilkman
06-27-2013, 23:05
I may still need at least a mason jar.

Same here. Ever since I got old I've had to give up the 5 gallon bucket.

Chris10
08-26-2013, 18:57
I have to admit, when I first read this post back in May, and prior to my first hike this past June, my thoughts were why pee in a bottle when you have the whole woods to use. Well on our second night out, it stormed all night long, raining, lightening everything. About three in the morning, I had to go, and I thought Ill just wait it out. Never stopped raining. So just before I slid on my shoes and stepped out into the pouring rain, I thought back to this thread and finally understood: lesson learned!

moytoy
08-26-2013, 19:59
I have to admit, when I first read this post back in May, and prior to my first hike this past June, my thoughts were why pee in a bottle when you have the whole woods to use. Well on our second night out, it stormed all night long, raining, lightening everything. About three in the morning, I had to go, and I thought Ill just wait it out. Never stopped raining. So just before I slid on my shoes and stepped out into the pouring rain, I thought back to this thread and finally understood: lesson learned!
Give it about 20 years and you will understand even more:)

leaftye
08-26-2013, 23:31
I've filled up a 20 oz bottle before, and now carry a 32 oz bottle. I even filled up the 32 oz bottle. I think the rain had something to do with it. I don't like getting up at night, but I had to those times. I didn't get much sleep.

Wise Old Owl
08-26-2013, 23:35
Gee Wizz... never thought I would see this thread, Really?

Another Kevin
08-27-2013, 04:08
Gee Wizz...

Great choice of words!

kayak karl
08-27-2013, 09:40
my bottle froze once. still had 4 days to go so i put it on outside of pack. later i passed a hiker he asked "What's that?", i said "Pee", he then asked "Are you being drug tested out here?"

treesloth
08-27-2013, 09:49

Hilarious! In extrapolating these replies, it seems that a ¼ to ½ of the hiking population carries a pee bottle. hahaha

I've filled up a 20 oz bottle before, and now carry a 32 oz bottle. I even filled up the 32 oz bottle.

You have reconfirmed my fears. It might be time for a bigger bottle.

perdidochas
08-27-2013, 11:26

Sounds like a trip I did to Pine Mountain, Georgia in the spring. Had to pee from about 10 pm to 2 am, when the storm let up. One of the few times I wanted a pee bottle.

JustaTouron
08-27-2013, 14:28
I overflow a beer bottle on a bus when I was in college. (I was drunk at the time)

max patch
08-27-2013, 14:33
Just don't share a tent with R. Kelley.

Night Train
08-27-2013, 16:22
or use his sheets

leaftye
08-27-2013, 21:28
You have reconfirmed my fears. It might be time for a bigger bottle.

It depends on the trip. In the winter I'll use a bigger bottle because the nights are longer, colder and wetter.

Theosus
08-28-2013, 18:40
That is why I sleep in a tent. I don't even have to get up. I open the tent zipper, roll on my side and let it fly. By morning the ground has soaked it all up.

I keep thinking a velcro flap in the bottom of my hammock would be the most awesome idea in the world. I just have to remember not to put my pack right under it...
I've had to get out in the cold and rain enough that just letting it hang out of the hammock sounds like a great idea...

rocketsocks
08-28-2013, 22:42
23725 no bottle needed ;)

Marmaduke
08-29-2013, 12:57
Just don't share a tent with R. Kelley.

I lol'd......