PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy? SOBO attempt

gwb
05-31-2013, 12:17
No need to answer that question directly... Eh, I am a little crazy.

My question to experienced thru hikers... Is one month too little time to plan a SOBO trip? I am an experienced section hiker, 1 to 2 week trips at a time. Good condition. I have the equipment. My sections hikes are usually very well planned, but I am having trouble trying to "plan" a thru hike. The reason I have cut it so close is because it has taken the last couple months to have everything fall in place. Thoughts? Suggestions?

MDSection12
05-31-2013, 12:22
I've never thru-hiked, but from what I've gathered the 'planning' mostly has to do with the stuff you've got going on at home. If you think that's all in good order and you've got the time and money then... It's just walking. :p

Seriously though, I've read mail drops are not necessary due to the availability of ressupplies in towns. That's the only thing I could see requiring a bunch of planning. Other than that you get your stuff in order at home and start walking. My (potentially ignorant) opinion would be 'go for it!'

Venchka
05-31-2013, 13:35
I tend to be a repulsive, compulsive planner. Starting is my biggest shortcoming.
I reckon that there are a significant number of successful Thru-Hikers who just "load up and go."
Judging from some of the questions raised here by folks who seem to be hard core planners, the Internet has eradicated self-study, independent learning and common sense.
If you can get by without injury for 2 weeks, the rest of a thru-hike is all in your head.
Just do it!

Wayne

Tree Nerd
05-31-2013, 16:26
I have never thru hiked, but I am going SOBO this year. Honestly, you should be fine. My hardest part of planning was picking out gear, besides that I know when I start and thats all I have planned. I plan to plan as I go.

hikerboy57
05-31-2013, 17:03
not much planning involved, except how to get to baxter, and how much food to carry to monson, although you can get limited resupply at white house landing.its just walking, and many people overthink it.i just finished a 471 section hike from springer to damscus, started just a few days after i had decided to go.if youve already got your gear the rest will fall into place.
good luck and have great hike

Malto
05-31-2013, 17:55
Yes, it can and does get done. I could walk out the door right now and wing it and a thru. Would it be different than if I had longer to plan...yes. Would it work, no question. If the window is open, jump.

Sly
05-31-2013, 18:53
Since you're already an experienced section hiker all you really need to do is plan to Monson. From Monson you may have to buy in Greenville for Caratunk, and Andover and to get to Gorham, while buying locally in Rangeley and Stratton. By the time you get out of Maine, you'll be an expert.

For quick planning, try the mailing label page linked in my sig

rickb
05-31-2013, 19:10
I did it in less, but didn't have the internet to confuse me. I also didn't have a house, car, health insurance concerns, family ties or a gold fish.

Plus mom and Dad drove me to Baxter. I should thank them some day.

Simple.

You will do just fine. Southbounders always find a way to make things work to insure a mega hike, not just a game.

My ramblings aside, the main reason for this post is to suggest you pick a date sooner rather than later and then look to see if you can secure two nights lodging in Baxter-- Katahdin Stream Campground seems to be the consensus for most. There are workarounds if you can't get reservations, but why not get that detail out of the way.

Mountain Mike
05-31-2013, 22:14
You are only crazy if things are in place & you don't give it a try. A thru-hike is just a bunch of section hikes put together. Unless you have diet restrictions you can pick up food locally. Like many I over planed my first thru. It was AT. For PCT it was a lot quicker. Much fewer mail drops to places I was concerned about where I could get what I wanted. Shopping was done in one night after determining number of meals I needed. I set up paper bags around my room with destination & days of food needed & just stared a rotation of food I threw in them. I used Mountain House bought in bulk for AT, but now have gone to mostly Knorr noddles or rice & add to them with stuff I can find at many local stores ie meats in pouches or cans, dehydrated veggies . Or I make some meals from scratch, check out cooking forum here.

The timing of my AT hike was due to work & boss decided it was best if I did it NOBO. SOBO considerations are Black flies ( head net) & permathin impregnated clothing. Although many big chain store like Cabellas & Dick's Sporting Goods don't cater to backpackers I always browse & found a great deal on some permathin impregnated zip off leg pants for the price of without the bug proofing. If you have doubts about doing hundred mile wilderness there is White house landing for resupply. Pricy but considering logistics of their location deserved. Or you can do a search of shuttlers, some offer resupply on Jo Mary road.

I would check on current status of resupply in Monson. I heard store closed & not sure what hostels are doing for resupply options this year.

GO FOR IT! Don't regret for the rest of your life not.

stranger
06-01-2013, 00:35
All you have to do is plan your travel plans to Katahdin, sort out a camping option that night in Baxter, or head back into Millinocket, then plan a two week hike. Long distance hiking is just 3-4 days, hit a town, do it again, repeat, repeat, repeat....

It's really that simple. The only considering I would worry about is the Whites, and how you plan on getting through them in terms of huts, campsites, etc...I think that's worth planning out a bit, but nothing that can't be done enroute.

Bronk
06-01-2013, 01:41
If your pack is loaded and you have the AT databook then that is all the planning that is required.

q-tip
06-01-2013, 09:11
Someone told me that thru hiking was nothing more than a succession of one week hikes. True for me. I take the same kit for week that I took on my 1,000 hike. Just Go....

gwb
06-07-2013, 06:19
thanks for the positive replies... we needed a little perspective.

kidchill
06-07-2013, 17:26
Listen, everyone approaches the trail start date differently. I saw guys that had literally spread-sheeted their entire journey in the form of a schedule/itinerary. The plan was off already by day three! Figure out how to get to the trail, be sure you have enough food to get through the 100 mile wilderness, and then make a new plan from Monson. Once in Monson, you will have a more realistic impression of your daily miles, gear needs, and food intake. You'll probably change gear, buy some new stuff, send home some old stuff, etc. My biggest problem in the beginning was pinning down the right amount of food. It takes a little time to really know how much is too much or how little is too little. Ideally you want to hike into town without any left! You'll hit Monson, then Stratton, then you decide whether you'll be hitting Caratunck, Rangely, or the next town. If you stay at Shaw's (well even if you don't), you can get a shuttle into town (there's also a gas station with a bunch of stuff). In Stratton there's a general store, and Rangely has a supermarket. I didn't stop in Caratunck so I can't help there.