PDA

View Full Version : MSR Whisperlite Universal - using gasoline

BDF92
05-31-2013, 17:51
Hello, I am contemplating purchasing the MSR Whisperlite Universal for its gasoline feature. My line of thinking was that although it has a steep initial price, gasoline is so incredibly cheap compared to other fuels, over the course of the stove's life I will make up that money in saved fuel costs. Is this true? Is it viable to use gasoline for all cooking with the whisperlite universal?

Thanks,

Blake

david_1
05-31-2013, 18:10
gasoline or petrol as we call it in the uk is not so cheap here. but I bought one 5 years ago great hot stove. I all ways have petrol around for chainsaws and mowers. I never run out of fuel for my stove. never think about fuel.

so for that reason its my stove of choice, unless im using meths in a pop can stove for weight reasons. :-)

Mountain Mike
05-31-2013, 22:35
Done it for many years ( regular gas on resupply) if I couldn't easily get fuel by ounce. If it is a shaker jet I never had a problem. Little more odor cooking. I always carried a spare jet, habit fro pre shaker version. To clean I would throw it on the burner till hot & then drop in water. Took all soot off.

Mountain Mike
05-31-2013, 22:45
Of all the many stoves I have the Whisperlite is my favorite. It can simmer if you don't over pump the tank. It is quiet as opposed to the fire fly. You know how much fuel you have vs. a canister stove. There is a reason it's still around after 20 years!

Colter
06-01-2013, 09:55
You should be able to use gasoline for all cooking although it will be somewhat more sooty and spilled fuel will be smellier. And you'd likely come out ahead on cost too considering both the price of the stove and fuel. You should consider both how long a can of white gas will cost and how long it will last however. For most people a can lasts for years and many would never come out ahead on fuel cost. If you use your stove a lot or travel often though, using gasoline might be just the ticket.

PD230SOI
06-01-2013, 14:00
If you can handle the soot and smell, the Whisperlite is great, if you use it in its sweet spot. It's not light, but its flexible.... I love mine

BradMT
06-01-2013, 14:41
I used a Svea 123 (the original version) on a 2.5 mos AT walk in 1977... ran out of fuel once and used leaded gasoline in it. Worked well. That stove (purchased in 1975) is still going strong. I also have a new Whisperlite Int'l but haven't run auto fuel through it. I'm certain it'd be fine, though sooty as those above have described. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't worry about it either. White Gas is SO GOOD I'd not bother with anything else except in a pinch.

garlic08
06-02-2013, 09:13
I tried regular gas in my old Whisperlite (neither of which is true, sorry) once and found the soot and odor bad enough to never do it again. I gladly paid the premium for premium fuel after that tank. Actually, it was always easy enough to walk into a commercial campground somewhere and "yogi" the fuel. That usually leads to a meal, too.

Feral Bill
06-02-2013, 13:03
I used a Svea 123 (the original version) on a 2.5 mos AT walk in 1977... ran out of fuel once and used leaded gasoline in it. Worked well. That stove (purchased in 1975) is still going strong. I also have a new Whisperlite Int'l but haven't run auto fuel through it. I'm certain it'd be fine, though sooty as those above have described. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't worry about it either. White Gas is SO GOOD I'd not bother with anything else except in a pinch.

I never use auto gas in my Svea, and have been rewarded with 43 years of reliable service. If I was desperate, I might try it, but I'd not be happy. The MSR Whisperlite Universal is designed to burn almost anything, so why not do so?

PD230SOI
06-02-2013, 13:31
Oh, just learn how to clean it when it's dark, cold, and you are hungry....

fiddlehead
06-02-2013, 15:40
Garlic has hinted at it but no one commented on the two main drawbacks of a whisperlite: They are very loud, and quite big and heavy.
We had problems with our in the Himalaya trying to burn kero.
Ended up using the Nepali version of the Svea (bigger), even after straining the fuel through coffee filters.
Could have been the altitude? Not sure.

lemon b
06-06-2013, 13:40
I've used gas in a pinch before in my whisperlite. As mentioned it gets messy and requires extra maintaince. Now adays I usually just use a pocketrocket except in cold weather when the whisperlite get loaded with white gas. Of course, these days the hikes are limited to a week.

Feral Bill
06-06-2013, 14:20
[QUOTE= the Nepali version of the Svea.[/QUOTE]
Tell us more about this stove, please.

Tom Murphy
06-06-2013, 14:28
Ended up using the Nepali version of the Svea (bigger).

I would be interested in hearing about this too.

Tom Murphy
06-06-2013, 14:32
This ?

http://www.optimusstoves.com/seen/optimus-products/products/katadynshopconnect/optimus-outdoor-kocher/optimus-hiker/

Feral Bill
06-06-2013, 15:53
This ?

http://www.optimusstoves.com/seen/optimus-products/products/katadynshopconnect/optimus-outdoor-kocher/optimus-hiker/ That's the newest version of the venerable Optimus 111. I use my old 111B for winter, despite the weight.