PDA

View Full Version : Glastenbury/West Ridge loop

ntfd60
05-31-2013, 18:19
Hello to all,
New to the forum. I am thinking about backpacking the Glastenbury/West Ridge loop in Vermont at the end of June. This is a trip I will do along with my 14 Y/O triplets. I think that we will spend 4 nights on the trail (I have to be realistic with mileage and my daughters continued interest). One question is about water on the trail. How many water sources are there? There isn't very much on line on this trail. Anyone have information that they can share? Are the uphills difficult or similar to a forced march? I would like to be somewhat prepared.
Tom C.

Monkeywrench
06-01-2013, 08:53
If you are talking about hiking from Rt.9 up to Goddard Shelter, it is a fairly steady 8.5 mile climb.

IMO, there are much better choices to introduce your daughters to hiking.

ntfd60
06-01-2013, 19:30
Monkeywrench, We are hammock campers also and have been backpacking for a couple of years now (I have been all my life). We have been kayak & canoe campers for many years. Our backpacking has been on 1 or 2 nighters in NY and PA. The girls just don't like doing over 5 miles a day on multi day trips. My son doesn't care about the miles. On a day hike they will do 7 or 8. Anyway...I wanted to start to do some of the AT with them this summer. Shenandoah looked nice, but the ticks will be a problem I think. What looks good in the Vermont area for a 20-25 mile loop?

coach lou
06-01-2013, 19:34
I have taken my son and X thru the many trails in the Stratton / Bourne Pond areas. Nice walks, not too crazy , some views

Monkeywrench
06-02-2013, 08:46
You could start at the Stratton Pond Trailhead on the Arlington - West Wardsboro Rd (AKA Kelly Stand Rd, AKA Stratton something-or-other Road nowadays). It's a relatively flat 4 miles north into Stratton Pond, where you can either sleep in the shelter, which is actually out of sight of the pond, or hike around to the North Shore Tenting Area and camp.

From Stratton Pond there are a few options.

- Follow the AT southbound, up and over Stratton Mountain, and back to the roaad, coming out about 1 mile (?) east of where you left your car.

- Follow the Lye Brook Trail west for about 4 miles to reach Bourne Pond. This trail is in the Lye Brook Wilderness and receives minimal clearing and blazing. As of the fall of 2012 the bridge over the Winooski River (really a stream here) was still out so depending on how wet it has been it may require a wet-foot ford. There were also a few blowdowns that required crawling over or under.

After spending the night at Bourne Pond, head south on the Branch Pond Trail which, in about 4 miles, will lead you to the road at the top of the ridge. Turn left (east) and walk the few (3?) miles back to your car.

- Another alternative is to turn north on the Branch Pond Trail when leaving Bourne Pond, and follow it north until it joins the AT. As of a couple of years ago there was a section of this trail flooded by beaver activity, but it was fairly easy to bushwhack around the flooded section. Just before reaching the AT you will pass William Douglas Shelter. Once you reach the AT turn right and follow it south back to Stratton Pond. Or, turn left on the AT for a short bit to get to Prospect Rock, which has fine views of the valley, before backtracking south and on to Stratton Pond. I don't remember the mileages here off the top of my head, though I have it in the back of my mind that the entire Stratton Pond, Bourne Pond, Propect Rock loop is something like 12 miles.

greenmtnboy
06-02-2013, 08:49
I think I remember that trail, it is a spur off of Glastenbury, not a north/south trail. There are a number of access trails to Glastenbury aside from the A/T; rt71, connects to the Somerset reservoir, has camping areas, etc., and roads that get you closer to Glastenbury, with a number of snowmobile trails, etc.. I'm sure there is a guidebook of all the trails in the Glastenbury area and agree that A/T access is not the best for kids, I have met scout groups on top of the mtn. and others who have hiked it without too much strain. More interesting areas for kids in my estimation are Stratton pond, Little Rock Pond and Griffith Lake in southern VT with some area peaks.

mrcoffeect
06-02-2013, 09:19
when I hiked this loop two years ago there was NO water to be had on the west ridge trail from glastenbury all the way back to rt9. it is a dry ridge. that was just an overniter for me though so the hike back to my car on west ridge was only like 3.5 to 4 hrs.

DavidNH
06-02-2013, 13:31
The loop hike from Rt 9 to Goddard Shelter and back to rt 9 via west ridge trail is a gorgeous and very remote section of trail. however, I'm not sure it's the best trip for 14 year olds (would this be their first backpack? if so I'd recommend even less). As far as camping options.. you can hike two miles to Melville Neuham Shelter, or go the full ten miles to Goddard Shelter which is close to the top of Glastonberry Mtn (where there's a fire tower offering extraordinary 360 degree views. There is water at each shelter (enough to filter and scoop anyway). From the last stream crossing after Melville Neuham Shelter, you have a good five miles, mostly up hill, where there's no water anywhere. So you need to conserve. And when I say no water I do mean no water. at all. unless it's been raining.. a lot.

From my recollection..the west ridge trail is mostly quite dry so you will need to be WELL watered up before leaving Goddered shelter.

Short of turning around early on.. there are no easy bailouts to get to a road.

Looking over your post again.. you say you want to spend four nights on trail. This section can't be easily stretched to 4 nights. You could spend two nights.. one at Melivlle and second at Goddared. That would be something like doing 2 miles, 8 miles and 10 miles for daily mileage. If 10 miles is too long a day.. you should seek another trip.

Dahoyt
06-04-2013, 12:51
Plenty of water sources, just did West Ridge Trail to Goddard, then LT back to Route 9, the water at Goddard Shelter at the top, is the best water i've ever drank at a shelter, I don't even treat it. Plus on the West Ridge, once you get over Bald Peak, there is a couple spots for water. Enjoy your hike. -Dahoyt.

DavidNH
06-04-2013, 12:52
Plenty of water sources, just did West Ridge Trail to Goddard, then LT back to Route 9, the water at Goddard Shelter at the top, is the best water i've ever drank at a shelter, I don't even treat it. Plus on the West Ridge, once you get over Bald Peak, there is a couple spots for water. Enjoy your hike. -Dahoyt.

Good to Know Dahoyt. I think I did the loop in a dry year and there's been no shortage of rain this year.

jESQa
09-14-2016, 22:20
Good to Know Dahoyt. I think I did the loop in a dry year and there's been no shortage of rain this year.

Doing a 2 nighter loop in a couple weekends. Just wanted to know with this dry summer if there's currently good water at Melville Nauheim and Goddard shelters, or along the way? Also, the forestry service/usda online map and written directions for the west ridge trail seem maybe wrong? it seems to suggest that once you hit bald mountain on west ridge, you veer west to continue down the bald mountain trail passing bald mtn parking lot back to Rt 9, and follow it for 1 mile back to the AT parking. But this can't be correct since the bald mtn parking lot is several miles west and the walk down rt 9 would have to be much further than a mile. However, instead, at bald mountain, if you were to take the Bear Wallow Trail to Harbor Rd to Rt 9, then the walk down Rt 9 back to parking would only be a mile. Appreciate any insight on this. Thank you.