PDA

View Full Version : Weather in June

stilllife
05-31-2013, 19:11
Planning to hike from Springer to Georgia/ NC line next month, June.
What can I expect the weather to be like?
Will I be ok with a down 55degree down quilt?

Thanks

Railroad Billy
05-31-2013, 20:34
Me too but heading south from Dicks Creek

ATL Backpacker
05-31-2013, 21:02
Planning to hike from Springer to Georgia/ NC line next month, June.
What can I expect the weather to be like?
Will I be ok with a down 55degree down quilt?

Thanks

Hot. Very humid. Afternoon thundershowers. 80s and 60s for day/night temps. Maybe warmer.

I use a silk liner for a sleeping bag in the summer, even in the WNC mountains.

You locked into doing the GA section? If you're open to alternatives I'd consider a NC section and save GA for fall or spring.

stilllife
05-31-2013, 22:54
I am open to NC section. What do you suggest?

Venchka
05-31-2013, 22:59
How many miles were you planning starting at Springer Mountain? Use the AT distance calculator to find to access points that far apart. Hot Springs, Erwin, Elk Park could be used as start or finish towns.

Wayne

stilllife
06-01-2013, 08:55
How many miles were you planning starting at Springer Mountain? Use the AT distance calculator to find to access points that far apart. Hot Springs, Erwin, Elk Park could be used as start or finish towns.

Wayne

Thanks a bunch. I was thinking between 30 and 40 at a casual "smell the trail" pace. Just slow fun, no schedule.

2NewKnees
06-01-2013, 09:33
When are you planning to go? I was looking at hitting a section hike June 19-23 over Roan Mountain south to Iron Mt. Gap.

daddytwosticks
06-01-2013, 13:48
Did a 40 miler from around Mooney Gap (Standing Indian area) to the NOC last weekend. Awesome! A 55 degree quilt should be fine. Mine's about a 50 degree, but that time of year I'd also bring a 100 wt fleece or a Montbell Thermawrap for chilly times. One good heavy thunderstorm late in the afternoon can really chill off the evening. :)

ATL Backpacker
06-01-2013, 21:52
Maybe clingmans dome to fontana dam? Or if you want to stay out of the smokies (reservations required, fees), Davenport Gap or the I-40 crossing to Hot Springs. Both of those trips are in the low 30s mileage wise. And both would be great hikes.

Railroad Billy
06-02-2013, 07:49
I hiked Davenport Gap to Hot Springs it was a good trip. In the summer you might hit Max Patch early in the day to avoid thunderstorms.

tawa
06-02-2013, 17:10
Yes that will work. Just back from a couple of days of hiking around the Approach trail and Springer Mt area. Warm days and a little cool in the evenings and early morning. I dressed very light during hiking and had a wind shirt for evening.

shelb
06-02-2013, 22:26
Hot. Very humid. Afternoon thundershowers. 80s and 60s for day/night temps. Maybe warmer.

Curious: This poster claims June in Georgia = Hot/Humid conditions with highs 80/lows 60's

My experience in mid-July to mid-August in VA/MD/PA has given me warmer days and about the same nights. do others agree that June in the south is cooler than Virginia and Pennsylvania in July/August?