PDA

View Full Version : Va Mid June

woodsman
05-31-2013, 22:31
Thought about doing 8-10 days central Va mid June if it the heat is not to oppressive. Is mid June normally pretty hot in this area to the point that it will be uncomfortable?

hikernutcasey
05-31-2013, 22:36
Thought about doing 8-10 days central Va mid June if it the heat is not to oppressive. Is mid June normally pretty hot in this area to the point that it will be uncomfortable?

Well, it's not as hot as July and August but that doesn't mean it's cool either. It could be around 90 or it could be around 75. Accuweather shows average temps in the low to mid 80's for mid June throughout VA. I was in southern VA last July and it never got above 70 degrees but I've been out in June when it was 90+ so you never know.

johnnybgood
06-01-2013, 00:39
Plan on warm to hot weather In mid June with low land summer temps ranging from low 80's to 90 degrees with humidity always a factor. With mountain elevation above 3,000 ft. of course, it will be 9-12 degrees cooler, and less humid, making the actual air temperature around 75-80...BIG DIFFERENCE ! Plan a trip to SNP, where the AT rides the ridgeline at 2,500 ft and up. Hike south to Rockfish Gap, leaving your car here ; www.nova4h.com (http://www.nova4h.com). Then hike 101 SNP miles, hooking up with the Blue Ridge Parkway, hiking the AT to Reeds Gap (Rt.664),or to the Tye River Basin, if time allows. Don't forget the DEET bug repellent,... I actually like soaking permethrin on my clothes better. Also SUNBLOCK and a floppy hat are necessary, sun glasses too.

FarmerChef
06-01-2013, 09:42
All good advice so far.

It looks like you are from Alabama so you probably are already familiar with heat and humidity. Virginia will be no worse (in my opinion) than Alabama.

Elevation can help dramatically but remember if it's 95 degrees down in the valley it will still be 89, 1000 feet lower and 83, 2000 feet lower. That's not to say it's undoable. Not by a long shot! Just be prepared to get really sweaty and take advantage of lakes, streams, showers, cool water, wherever and whenever possible (LNT, of course). SNP is a great idea to get up high. My only caution there is be prepared for the camping rules and distance between shelters. Another option is to start south of SNP and hike south. Not sure what you're daily mileage is in order to estimate distance. McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, Dragon's Tooth are all very interesting as well.