PDA

View Full Version : sawyer squeeze or steripen?

Galkim
06-01-2013, 18:26
I saw so many posts, but still it seems to me that the sawyer is WAY better, in terms of weight, convenience, and overall protection from Infections.
Thoughts?

Starchild
06-01-2013, 18:59
User of the Steripen and just over the 1/2 way point. The weight of the pen is 2.5 oz and rechargeable. Though as part of the weight I carry a 1/2 quart nalgene because I need at least one wide mouth bottle. I never ran close to running out of power before having a recharge opportunity.

The biggest advantage of the steripen is it encourages carrying the smallest amount of water I need. I find Saywer users topping off after drinking at the source while steripen users don't just due to how the steripen works.

Rain Man
06-01-2013, 19:03
... it seems to me that the sawyer is WAY better.... Thoughts?

I have both and others too. No water treatment system is "WAY" better than another. All have pros and cons. Definitely a "hike your own hike" personal choice. But yes, Sawyer's is definitely the current fad.

Rain:sunMan

nickgann
06-01-2013, 20:29
I actually bought a sawyer bottle that came with the filter that plugs into the straw. From there I took my bladder and spliced the filter in for an inline filter that is good for up to 1Mil gallons, easy to draw from, and all INCLUDING THE BLADDER for only $50.

Del Q
06-01-2013, 20:33
I used the Sawyer squeeze this spring for the 1st time, really liked it.

Easy, light, fresh water vs aqua mira and the ability to drink immediately.

Did not trust the steripen, don't know why.

Praha4
06-02-2013, 01:42
I've gone back and forth between Aqua Mira, Steripen, and the Sawyer Squeeze. I like some features of the Steripen, the speed of treatment, etc. I hear most Steripen users "treat/drink" at each water source, and don't carry much water. And if you were guaranteed water sources spaced close enough so one liter water would be enough to get you to the next water source, it's all good. But on hot, humid days, there are too many long sections along the AT with dry ridgelines, where u hike at least 3 hours with no water available. If you have the Steripen, you have to stop and treat the water 1 liter at a time, (90 seconds/liter) which ends up taking as much time as using the Sawyer Squeeze or Aqua Mira. Again, if water is available every hour or so, then the Steripen is probably okay, but for long dry stretches, I would rather go with the Sawyer Squeeze and a hydration bladder. Trying to just carry one liter water max at a time, results in dehyrdation too many times for me in hot, humid weather.

srvand02
06-02-2013, 01:52
UL's might shun my personal choice, but I use the Steripen w/ a nalgene wide AND a camelbak. I usually keep the bladder filled and use the nalgene to filter water when needed or to use as my drinking cup at camp for powder mixes, hot chocolate, the like. Never had a problem with the pen not completely making my water potable.

ChinMusic
06-02-2013, 09:31
Both systems are excellent. I am at Harpers Ferry and still on my second set of batteries w my Steripen Opti. My hiking partner uses the Sawyer Squeeze. The only thing she didn't like was the flimsy bag that came with it. And the SS is picky about what bottles it connects to.

I like the knowledge that my Steripen protects me from viruses as well.

Praha4
06-02-2013, 13:15
good points... I would add that due to the many complaints about the durability of the original Sawyer Squeeze bags, they now sell a new version of the bags, that are redesigned for better durability. Mountain Laurel Designs advertises the new version as being better than the pricey Evernew bags. The new Sawyer Squeeze filter has a slight mod to the outlet side for a better fit with the syringe thats provided for backflushing. I just picked up the new SS model with the new bags, and it looks like an improved version. I see the pros and cons of both the Squeeze and the Steripen. I'm tempted toward the new Steripen Ultra with the rechargeable battery, but planning to take the Squeeze on my next hike to check it out.

Both systems are excellent. I am at Harpers Ferry and still on my second set of batteries w my Steripen Opti. My hiking partner uses the Sawyer Squeeze. The only thing she didn't like was the flimsy bag that came with it. And the SS is picky about what bottles it connects to.

I like the knowledge that my Steripen protects me from viruses as well.

Kerosene
06-02-2013, 14:27
...but for long dry stretches, I would rather go with the Sawyer Squeeze and a hydration bladder. Trying to just carry one liter water max at a time, results in dehyrdation too many times for me in hot, humid weather.This is also true for Fall hiking, when it may not be as hot or humid, but many of the water sources running early in the year are dry after a long, hot summer. I know that I carry more water than I need, but after experiencing severe thirst and moderate dehydration for a few hours on a hot day I find that I'd rather carry a bit more weight.

jeffmeh
06-02-2013, 14:37
This is also true for Fall hiking, when it may not be as hot or humid, but many of the water sources running early in the year are dry after a long, hot summer. I know that I carry more water than I need, but after experiencing severe thirst and moderate dehydration for a few hours on a hot day I find that I'd rather carry a bit more weight.

I'm with you, and I suspect that anyone who has experienced dehydration should be too. :)

markdek
06-02-2013, 15:50
good points... I would add that due to the many complaints about the durability of the original Sawyer Squeeze bags, they now sell a new version of the bags, that are redesigned for better durability. Mountain Laurel Designs advertises the new version as being better than the pricey Evernew bags. The new Sawyer Squeeze filter has a slight mod to the outlet side for a better fit with the syringe thats provided for backflushing. I just picked up the new SS model with the new bags, and it looks like an improved version. I see the pros and cons of both the Squeeze and the Steripen. I'm tempted toward the new Steripen Ultra with the rechargeable battery, but planning to take the Squeeze on my next hike to check it out.

Can you give us more details about the "slight mod to the outlet side..." of the filter?

ChinMusic
06-02-2013, 16:09
But on hot, humid days, there are too many long sections along the AT with dry ridgelines, where u hike at least 3 hours with no water available. If you have the Steripen, you have to stop and treat the water 1 liter at a time, (90 seconds/liter) which ends up taking as much time as using the Sawyer Squeeze or Aqua Mira. Again, if water is available every hour or so, then the Steripen is probably okay, but for long dry stretches, I would rather go with the Sawyer Squeeze and a hydration bladder. Trying to just carry one liter water max at a time, results in dehyrdation too many times for me in hot, humid weather.

Not sure I follow this.

I carry two 20oz Gatorade bottles which has served me well for nearly all the first 1000 miles while hiking. For hot/dry sections I have a collapsible container for additional water. I consider this container my dirty water container and usually just use it at camp. I suspect I will be using it more in PA with those long, hot ridges.

I don't always treat the water in my Gatorade bottles at the time I fill them. I often wait until a break and treat it then. I consider that a better use of time.

99% of the time I do not have to even take off my park to collect and treat my water. The SS does treat water quickly but it takes more time to prepare. My Opti is in my front pack and at the ready in seconds.

mankind117
06-03-2013, 08:43
I currently have a squeeze filter. I use it when the temperature is not expected to go below freezing since that can hurt it. In winter I just use the Chlorine dioxice tablets. I had a steripen that I really wanted to like but I found it finicky especially in the cold which is when I wanted to use it the most. Mine broke after 4 trips and I ended up returning it to REI. That being said the steripen supposedly deacitivates all biologicals in the water that could be bad.

Robin2013AT
06-03-2013, 09:07
Thanks for the lift and the smiles

Praha4
06-03-2013, 16:09
Chin,

sounds like a good system you're using. If I decide to get the Steripen Ultra, I'll probably go the same route..... a couple 20 oz gatorade bottles on shoulder strap pouches, and carry a 2L Evernew softbottle for extra water and fetching water in camp. thanks for the feedback, good luck on the hike, you're doing great!

Not sure I follow this.

I carry two 20oz Gatorade bottles which has served me well for nearly all the first 1000 miles while hiking. For hot/dry sections I have a collapsible container for additional water. I consider this container my dirty water container and usually just use it at camp. I suspect I will be using it more in PA with those long, hot ridges.

I don't always treat the water in my Gatorade bottles at the time I fill them. I often wait until a break and treat it then. I consider that a better use of time.

99% of the time I do not have to even take off my park to collect and treat my water. The SS does treat water quickly but it takes more time to prepare. My Opti is in my front pack and at the ready in seconds.

Praha4
06-03-2013, 16:17
Sawyer added a "nipple" around the "donute hole" opening in the center of the outlet side; enables a much better fit between the syringe and filter outle bat when you backflush. The outlet side threaded connection remained the same.

Can you give us more details about the "slight mod to the outlet side..." of the filter?

markdek
06-14-2013, 10:46
Sawyer added a "nipple" around the "donute hole" opening in the center of the outlet side; enables a much better fit between the syringe and filter outle bat when you backflush. The outlet side threaded connection remained the same.

I assume you mean, a nipple on the inlet....and the outlet is unchanged.

markdek
06-14-2013, 10:48
Never mind, you're right....it's for backflushing.

QiWiz
06-14-2013, 15:28
Can't let the Sawyer freeze, so in winter I would definitely use the SteriPen. Otherwise I would give the Squeeze the edge. I have and use both.