PDA

View Full Version : Dick's Creek Gap to Fontana Dam - Shelter changes?

LAHiker
06-02-2013, 22:33
We are planning a section hike in late June and the maps and books for this section are being updated and are not yet available. I am working with a 2011 publication. I just read on a different thread that one of the shelters we were planning on using (Big Spring Shelter) has been replaced with another one a little farther north. We will have tent so it may not be a big deal but were going to use the Shelters to guide our progress each day (and they are near water so we will likely be near them too).

Are there any other changes to this section that the 2011 maps may not include?

daddytwosticks
06-03-2013, 07:14
Big Springs shelter is gone and you can not camp in that area (signs posted). Go two miles north to the new Long Branch shelter. It's a beauty. The Siler's Bald shelter had a new roof and Cold Springs shelter, although small, has been nicely rennovated. :)

RED-DOG
06-03-2013, 07:18
They haven't torn Big spring down yet,( I think they plan to tear it down later in the summer) The new shelter is a little father north called Long Branch it's a nice shelter with over hang and picnic table, and a good water source it's not that far off the AT (It's worth staying at), they rebuilt Cold Spring Shelter. they might be a few Blow downs north of Winding Stair Gap, That's about it.

RED-DOG
06-03-2013, 07:34
BIG SPRING SHELTER is gone i just called the G.A.T.C and they confirmed it has been torn down, but their is still a good water source there located just past where the shelter stood.