PDA

View Full Version : Trekking poles and blisters

LAHiker
06-02-2013, 23:04
I have never hiked with trekking poles but now I think my knees will appreciate it. I just bought a pair and planned to walker around town with them to get my hands used to them, but we live in a very flat place so I found it to be a silly endeavor. Are they likely to cause blisters (seems like of course they will) and is there anything I can do to avoid it in the first few days while my hands get accustomed to it? We have Glide and moleskin and the cool gelatinous blister bandaids but any other suggestions?

MuddyWaters
06-03-2013, 00:10
Really shouldnt be a problem, but I imagine it could happen. Unlikely though.

Elder
06-03-2013, 00:33
If you have good poles, they have good straps.
Learn to use them correctly and there will be very minimal rubbing between your thumb and forefinger.

LAHiker
06-03-2013, 01:18
If you have good poles, they have good straps.
Learn to use them correctly and there will be very minimal rubbing between your thumb and forefinger.
Is there a trick to using them correctly? My technique is if it hurts don't hold them so tight?

greentick
06-03-2013, 02:06
If you use the straps correctly, you grip the pole handles loosely as your weight is supported by the wrist straps. A pic is worth a thousand words: http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/hill-skills/monday-tip---how-to-use-trekking-poles/10286.html. (first site with pics that I found) This is what I do (ymmv): Steep up and Steep down: plant pole by stepping foot ie you are pushing off with R leg and R arm at the same time. Gradual up, level ground, and gradual down slope. Stepping foot and pole are on opposite sides. IE when your L foot goes forward so does your R arm. Pole angle: on level ground and gradual up-slope the pole is angled to the rear and I push to some degree with each step (get the arms involved). Gradual down slope depends: if it is simple terrain and I'm trucking it, pole angle is as above or I just walk and the poles don't contact the ground. If the terrain is dicey (high trip hazard) I will walk naturally but plant the pole a bit ahead of me. Clear as mud? Hope that helps a bit.

Namtrag
06-03-2013, 05:55
Look up Nordic walking on youtube

daddytwosticks
06-03-2013, 07:09
Yes, I've gotten hot spots at times on the palm of my hands between the thumb and 1st few fingers. Probably from gripping too tightly. Just have to be aware and know not to grip too tightly. Let the strap do the work. :)

LAHiker
06-03-2013, 08:40
Great! Thanks. That helps a lot.

Alleghanian Orogeny
06-03-2013, 09:03
I wonder if fingerless cycling gloves which have a bit of padding in the palm might work well with trekking poles?

AO

TheYoungOne
06-03-2013, 10:25
I wonder if fingerless cycling gloves which have a bit of padding in the palm might work well with trekking poles?

AO
+1 cycling gloves, Mechanix gloves or any fingerless exercise glove will do. Like Daddytwosticks mentioned occasionally I start to develop a small blister between my thumb and finger after my first long hike of the year. However if you hike regularly after a while your hands in that area will get harder and calloused. If you already work with your hands, or work out with weights, you probably will not have a problem. I use to wear gloves, but I stopped. If I get a blister, it usually not that bad, and I'm a guy who works a desk job so it doesn't really bother me. If I was thru hiking, I rather just let nature take its course and let your hands get hard. If your female and like soft hand, and hate blister gloves do help, but in the summer your hands will sweat.

BevH
06-03-2013, 12:42
I have never hiked with trekking poles but now I think my knees will appreciate it. I just bought a pair and planned to walker around town with them to get my hands used to them, but we live in a very flat place so I found it to be a silly endeavor. Are they likely to cause blisters (seems like of course they will) and is there anything I can do to avoid it in the first few days while my hands get accustomed to it? We have Glide and moleskin and the cool gelatinous blister bandaids but any other suggestions?

I hike at least once a week and have never had a problem with blisters. My sticks are not adjustable and the grips are made of foam.

Malto
06-03-2013, 13:37
There are multiple ways of using poles, don't be convinced there is one best way. Many use strap, no straps, hold the grips thumbs up, palm the top of the grips, use them short, use them long. Try out several different styles and pick one, or more than one. I ended up using no straps, palm the downhills, regular grip on uphills. But it took a couple of years before I locked that in. Haven't heard of blisters being a major issue.

Ktaadn
06-03-2013, 14:52
I've used my poles for years and never had any issues with my hands hurting.

Enjoy the new poles!

Mrs Baggins
06-04-2013, 05:20
Nope, never have had blisters. I don't "grip" them, I have the straps over my wrists and I just sort of "palm" the handles and let the poles swing and do the work. Sometimes I'll have my thumbs on top of the handles but again they aren't putting any real pressure on them, just controlling where they go.

slbirdnerd
06-04-2013, 08:04
I find that using 1 pole on steep ups/downs and using it at a shorter length, like a cane, works great. Hold the top of the pole, with your palm on top, not the grip itself.

HooKooDooKu
06-04-2013, 10:05
I've never gotten blisters from using a pole. Then again, I use only one pole and switch hands from time to time. And yea, on flat terrain, I find I use it very little (often just carrying it like a batton on flat ground rather than actually using it). The last bit, for me, I like a really tall pole. It can really help on steep down climbs, or large down steps, or rock hopping creeks. My ideal pole is actually taller than I am, which means I'm restricted to poles made of bamboo (no treking poles are ever tall enough for my taste, and other woods would be too heavy).

daddytwosticks
06-04-2013, 13:24
I find that using 1 pole on steep ups/downs and using it at a shorter length, like a cane, works great. Hold the top of the pole, with your palm on top, not the grip itself. I did this alot (going down into the NOC) on my last hike. Maybe that's how I got some mild hot spots on my palms? :)

rocketsocks
06-04-2013, 13:25
I have never hiked with trekking poles but now I think my knees will appreciate it. I just bought a pair and planned to walker around town with them to get my hands used to them, but we live in a very flat place so I found it to be a silly endeavor. Are they likely to cause blisters (seems like of course they will) and is there anything I can do to avoid it in the first few days while my hands get accustomed to it? We have Glide and moleskin and the cool gelatinous blister bandaids but any other suggestions?I recently started using trekking poles....I like em. I've used a small piece of duck tape between the thumb and fore finger to reduce blistering.

mdp9
06-05-2013, 11:14
I don't "grip" them, I have the straps over my wrists and I just sort of "palm" the handles and let the poles swing and do the work. Sometimes I'll have my thumbs on top of the handles but again they aren't putting any real pressure on them, just controlling where they go.

+1. For most terrain, my poles are kind of just swinging and there for the shock absorption and stability. There isn't very much gripping going on.

I mostly like poles because it gets me into a really good rhythm and I find myself able to cover more ground. That, and the multiple prevented falls. :)

Snowleopard
06-05-2013, 14:15
As elder and greentick say, learn to use the straps. The pictures in greentick's link show the correct strap position, but I'd say 90% of the time I grip the pole much more lightly than the picture. The correct technique is taken from cross country skiing. Most of the time I'll be using very little force on the poles, just using it for balance (steep downhills are sometimes the exception to this).

nu2hike
06-07-2013, 20:02
I love my hiking poles but learned the hard way about using straps! I tripped while hiking and the straps basically held me suspended so that I was unable to break my fall! I face planted, hyperextended my shoulder, and received a badly sprained wrist! I wouldn't be without my poles but I have not put my hands thru those straps since!:(

kolokolo
06-07-2013, 21:15
I hiked without poles for years, and bought them with much reluctance. I have never had a blister problem (and I have a pair of $20 Walmart poles).

WalksInDark
06-07-2013, 21:34
+1 For NOT USING STRAPS (except to keep from losing them while fording streams)!

I too have experienced the dreaded "can't let go of the damn pole" trip, fall, and face plant. Additionally, if only the tip of the pole gets stuck (which happens not infrequently) while you are going up or down hill...the change of your center of gravity can send you falling as well.

It is too bad that none of the major trekking pole manufacturers seem to have heard about the spring loaded strap holders used on ski poles...that allows the strap to pop loose when too much pressure is applied. Once the tension is off of the strap...you simply pop it back into the spring holder.

WalksInDark
06-08-2013, 09:52
Almost forgot, RE: Blisters

Can't say I have ever gotten full blown blisters...but I have built up pretty good calluses on the palms of my hands (from putting my palms on the top of my trekking poles when I am going downhill) and in the web of my hand between my thumb and forefinger (when using the poles to go up hill).

Starchild
06-08-2013, 10:27
Great advice that there is no one correct way and to try different ways and find what works best for you.

I started with one pole which allows a free hand and the ability to switch hands. Sometimes switching hands very quickly which using the strap would prevent. Perhaps that's one reason I go strapless now - never considered that before.

I have removed the straps as for me it's drawbacks outweighs the benefits but this is a subjective personal decision. Reasons pro/con are stated here and no need to repeat them

Very rarely have I gotten hotspots on my hands but that is far more manageable then on my foot.

+1 For NOT USING STRAPS (except to keep from losing them while fording streams)!

I too have experienced the dreaded "can't let go of the damn pole" trip, fall, and face plant. Additionally, if only the tip of the pole gets stuck (which happens not infrequently) while you are going up or down hill...the change of your center of gravity can send you falling as well.

It is too bad that none of the major trekking pole manufacturers seem to have heard about the spring loaded strap holders used on ski poles...that allows the strap to pop loose when too much pressure is applied. Once the tension is off of the strap...you simply pop it back into the spring holder.

When I used the straps I tended at times to put a lot of weight on it. Much more then a ski pole and I would not want a design where the straps may let go.

Whack-a-mole
06-09-2013, 21:01
I find it interesting that I have almost busted my butt a few times, and the poles were what saved me. I guess there is a yin for every yang.

WalksInDark
06-09-2013, 21:09
Sorry if I confused anyone.

Poles have saved my sorry butte more times than I care to count.

The only times the poles tripped me up were when I first got them and tried to hike with my hands through the leather loops.

Once I started just grasping the poles everything works wonderfully!

Bearhawk
06-11-2013, 21:30
+1 on trying the the many ways to hold a tracking pole. I just completed my very first section hike -41 miles through Maryland. I walked through all kinds of terrain and found that the poles helped tremendously. I found myself switching grip positions depending on what kind of terrain I was walking over at the time.
My advise to you is don't grip the poles to tight and do what works best for you.