PDA

View Full Version : North from Harper's Ferry

Aussy1
06-02-2013, 23:21
So, I'm relatively new to backpacking, with about a year of experience. I've been on 10+ trips, but nothing longer than 3 days. Last summer I completed two nearly 20 mile days in a row, but I seem to have a much better time limiting my days to around 10 miles. I think I'd enjoy spending several months on the trail, but I would of course have to spend at least several weeks hiking before I get too serious about it. Assuming that goes well, I'm having a hard time tuning in my expectations. Am I being too ambitious to think it'd be awesome to hike from Harper's Ferry (I live nearby) to the northern terminus of the trail? I'd be traveling through terrain I've never encountered before, but that's why that's what excites me. I want a challenge, but I also don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Likewise, I'd be hiking through unfamiliar climates. From what I've read, Maine has crazy bugs in June/July, and gets quite cold by mid fall. In Vermont, mud season, in addition to the bugs, should end by June, right? Are there any other climate conditions I should consider? Would mid June to mid July be the time to start? I appreciate any thoughts.

Aussy1
06-02-2013, 23:36
I suppose I should express my thoughts and question more directly. A south bound trip seems much less intimidating, but from the comfort of my apartment, less fulfilling. Based on your experience, would the extra stress of the more difficult hike result in a more fulfilling trip, or would I be better off lowering my aim? I'm sure a south bound trip would be an incredible experience and provide ample opportunity to test my limits. Am I mistaken in my assumption that a north bound hike would be significantly more difficult? Would the relatively easy trail early on be enough preparation, both mentally and physically, to condition me for the rougher sections?

I apologize if its bad etiquette to post twice in a row. I can't figure out how to edit.

SOBO_Pace
06-03-2013, 07:06
South bound would be more difficult in my opinion. North would ease you into your hike a little. Going south is adventurous if that is what you seek.

fredmugs
06-03-2013, 07:24
Maine is pretty amazing in August. If I was planning a HF to Katahdin hike I would shoot for a summit around the end of August and plan your start date from there.

I've heard the non-AT part of the Long Trail is very muddy right now due to some snow storms recently. Not sure about the southern half.

moldy
06-03-2013, 08:29
Look, do you want to fish or do you want to cut bait? Of course you should go North. You should make it all the way. You will make it all the way. Just put one foot in front of the other and keep going.

mankind117
06-03-2013, 08:39
At least the first 100 miles or so through Maryland and Southern PA is pretty easy hiking so you would have time to ease into it.

Odd Man Out
06-03-2013, 09:35
You seem to have more experience, knowledge, and ability than a large percentage of thru hikers so I would say that no you definitely are not biting off too much. Here are a few options:

1. Do both halves starting from HF, one this year and one next year, then you don't have to worry about which to pick. Then you will be a 2000 mile section hiker.

2. Do a "through" hike, that is start hiking and keep going until your are through (i.e. want to quit). You have a 100% chance of success. In other words, make the hike the objective, not the destination. I'd rather be the person who hikes from HF to Monson and say "what a great hike" than the one who does the same and feels they failed for not reaching their goal.

3. Do a coin flip hike. Go to the Potomac river bridge in HF and flip a coin. Heads you go north and tails you go south. If you are happy with the flip, start walking. If you are disappointed with the outcome of the flip, go the the other direction. In other words, trust you gut.

Aussy1
06-04-2013, 01:36
Man, thanks everyone for your input. I'm trying to maintain Odd Man Out's second option in my mental preparation. Anything less than several weeks would feel like a bit of a failure, but if I decide 200 miles in that thru hiking is not for me, well at least I'll have given it a shot. That is, like you said, the objective. Its just a walk. My gut is definitely telling me north.

Half Note
06-05-2013, 15:01
I realized some time ago that there was no way I could have the time or money for a full thru hike. So I decided to attempt to do half of it. I basically asked the same question - north or south from Harper's Ferry? Nearly every single response was head north. That's my opinion as well. I'll be starting next week on Thursday and heading as far as I can before it is no longer fun or get injured. I hear that part of the country is awesome and the fact that it is more challenging gives it that much more allure.

FarmerChef
06-05-2013, 15:50
North is probably the better way to go. You get MD and PA to help your legs acclimate to daily long walks and there are plenty of facilities for resupply, showers, lodging, comraderie, etc. along the way. As you leave PA the terrain becomes a bit more challenging and resupply points/towns along the trail become slightly less plentiful. But by now, you've got some experience and know how to get a hitch to a town well off the path and how to read the tea leaves for what looks good over the next 100 miles.

By the time you hit the Whites (difficult) you'll have had plenty of time to develop your legs so it won't be nearly as challenging as it would have been had you started south from Katahdin and only had a short time to prepare.

A couple things to keep in mind: depending on when you hit the Whites (and depending on the weather there at any given time) you may find that you want some warmer gear. Same goes for Maine depending on when you get there. Be prepared for in town costs for goods and services to rise a bit from what you experience south of Massachusetts. Also be prepared to eat out almost every day in NY. There's literally a deli or ice cream shop or something somewhere almost every day. Have fun!

Finally, read, read, read here and of others trail journals. They can help give you a boots on the ground view of what it's like on a day to day basis up there. Keep in mind, though, that of the thrus that make it there, their mentality will be different from yours so take their journals with a grain of salt. They've been on the trail for 3-4 months. You'll be much fresher. Again, have fun! :)

kidchill
06-06-2013, 17:57
Don't take this in a negative way, but a lot of your thoughts seem depressing. Do you want to do a long distance hike? Sounds like you do. Who cares how far you make it! It's not a contest and you're not going to be graded. Most of the people hitting the trail for a thru-hike have no idea *** they're doing anyways. You only really need to answer a few questions. How long can you get away from the real world? How much money do you have for this adventure? Do you have the appropriate gear for this hike? Which way do you go, north or south? I would recommend going north from HF. ME and NH have the best views on the trail! It is, however, the most grueling terrain. The benefit of half thruhiking is you'll be in trail shape by the time you hit the hard stuff, and you haven't covered 2000 miles, so you won't be beat up either. If I did the trail again I would totally split it up over 2 years and hike half at a time in the fall. Also, if you go south, it's gonna BALLS HOT! I hate the heat, so that's why I say that. HYOH, but if I were you, I would start checking gear and get moving ;)