PDA

View Full Version : What I have learned so far from Whiteblaze before my 2014 thru hike

ams212001
06-03-2013, 05:57
Mental preparation for the AT is going to be far more important than physical preparation.

Get out and hike to learn what is truly a good base weight for yourself.

Arm yourself with practical knowledge and skills to keep your spirits up when thru hiking.

Be prepared to feel a range of emotions while hiking and don't fear yourself changing throughout the process.

Redefine your definition of fun and take life in at the moment. The rest will fall into place.

All sorts of people complete a thru hike and there is no specific formula for success.

There are a lot of opinions on here and it has been interesting see the range of opinions from peeing into a bottle to how to fight off a raccoon who wants your snickers bar.

I am accumulating my gear and will be enjoying my summer with day hikes and mentally preparing for April 2014.

Thanks Whiteblaze community!

rickb
06-03-2013, 07:00
Given your list, I think you might enjoy reading "The Thru Hiking Papers" which can be found here:

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/THP_top.html

They were written by a triple crown hike some years ago, and were considered by many (especially those who have hiked the trail) to be the gold standard when it comes distilled information on these kinds of things.

To my way of thinking, this should be "required reading" for any perspective thru hiker. Or at least recommended reading :D.

ams212001
06-03-2013, 07:09
Given your list, I think you might enjoy reading "The Thru Hiking Papers" which can be found here:

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/THP_top.html

They were written by a triple crown hike some years ago, and were considered by many (especially those who have hiked the trail) to be the gold standard when it comes distilled information on these kinds of things.

To my way of thinking, this should be "required reading" for any perspective thru hiker. Or at least recommended reading :D.

You sir, have good taste. I have read them and I plan on printing them out and reading them when I go on hikes and venture into the world of overnight hikes. They are beautifully written and helped me focus on what is actually important which is the hike and not the gear. Thank you for the suggestion!

Old Hiker
06-03-2013, 07:14
Very nice, AMS21. Don't forget, though, while it may be "fun", it's very hard work !! Good luck - looking forward to your journal or whatever if you keep one.

Where are you in ND? I spent 5.5 years in Minot.

Personally, I'd just pour my pee bottle on anyone or anything trying to get my Snickers!!

ams212001
06-03-2013, 07:24
I like to call it fard work. Fun hard work. I am in the heart of the boom and about an hour south of Williston. That is one reason why I am excited about the hike is because of the hard work. The harder I have worked in my life the more rewarding the outcomes of have been. Plus, I worked a lot on a farm and did work that is considered unimaginable to most but really is was just cleaning up cow manure. Farmers have a way of convincing you that hard work will give you more personal satisfaction. They are tricky that way.

Venchka
06-03-2013, 17:46
Add:
Break your addiction to electronic toys and the incessant use of same.

Wayne

stranger
06-04-2013, 05:32
Mental preparation for the AT is going to be far more important than physical preparation.

Get out and hike to learn what is truly a good base weight for yourself.

Arm yourself with practical knowledge and skills to keep your spirits up when thru hiking.

Be prepared to feel a range of emotions while hiking and don't fear yourself changing throughout the process.

Redefine your definition of fun and take life in at the moment. The rest will fall into place.

All sorts of people complete a thru hike and there is no specific formula for success.

There are a lot of opinions on here and it has been interesting see the range of opinions from peeing into a bottle to how to fight off a raccoon who wants your snickers bar.

I am accumulating my gear and will be enjoying my summer with day hikes and mentally preparing for April 2014.

Thanks Whiteblaze community!

The mental preparation is important, but not many people can answer HOW to do that...DO NOT underestimate how miserable you can be on the trail, especially in the rain, if you are not in decent trail shape. So many people arrive at Springer in poor shape, it takes them 5 days to get to Neels Gap, etc... One of the most significant mental boosts I've had hiking was knowing I was fit and could make miles, or was not shot at the end of a 15 mile day.

I'm a big believer in physical conditioning BEFORE starting hiking, regardless of the distance you plan to go.

kidchill
06-06-2013, 16:51
At this stage of the game, physical conditioning is gonna be WAY more important then mental conditioning. After some time on the trail, the mental part kicks in. I was SOBO last year and couldn't understand "the mental game" that all of the NOBO's were talking about. I wasn't in horrible shape when I showed up at Baxter Park, but I don't have a job that allows me to hike everyday and be in great shape all of the time. The first 500 miles or so, well, really, ME and NH kicked the crap outta me. I was consistently pulling 4 mile/hr once I hit VT (the trail becomes more of a trail and less of an obstacle course at that point). The mental games didn't start until about the time I hit Harper's Ferry. There's a sense of excitement to knock out about 1200 miles of trail...but then I realized I STILL have 1000miles to go. In the beginning it's all new and cool, after a while, it's just plain uncomfortable.

Double Wide
06-06-2013, 17:33
As far as mental vs. physical, I have learned that one goes hand in hand with another. I did a section hike in Georgia a couple weeks ago, and I had absolutely no idea how hard it would be. So there's that shocker to your system--not only how hard it is, but squaring yourself with the fact that you aren't nearly as prepared as you thought you were. Then, once you accept your daily ration of pain, then the game you have to play with your brain is "Do I really want to punish myself like this day after day for the next 5+ months?". If you can wrap your mind around that, and make peace with it, then you're off to a great start. Besides, if you can endure the physical for the first month, well, then it's just habit.

Datto
06-06-2013, 20:26
I found there's an acceptance of what is, not what you want it to be, that was required. A grand test of adaptability and acceptance. Pass the test, sometimes make it to Katahdin.

A few people I met on the AT during my thru-hike found it difficult to accept the is -- sometimes you could tell who they were. Notice the complete conflagration and despair about the rain, or the wild punching at gnats. Humorous to see it in others, worrisome when the tell was within yourself.

I also found there is no doubt a harmony as well as a harmonic dissonance on the Trail. The joining of two people who were completely different for example -- the lack of passing judgment between the both of them. For me it was the blending of each that made for such a memorable experience.

Some of the best people I've met have been AT thru-hikers, although I'm not sure they would stand out in a line-up. Just kind and generous people who, along with so many others, had a quest. From all over the world, from all walks of life, from the advantageous to the dirt poor.

Wouldn't have missed it for the world! One of the best experiences, maybe the best, I've ever had in my short life.

Datto