PDA

View Full Version : featherfire stove??

cricket71
06-03-2013, 07:29
I'm waiting for my new feather fire stove like a little kid on Christmas eve waiting for Santa, but are they worth the weight to cooking time? I currently use a pocket rocket or my cat stove and I like the fact that I can cook with the rocket and not just boil. I've read good things about the feather fire but I have yet to see anyone actually use one, I hike pretty light I usually come in at about 12lbs for 3 day hike and I'm always looking for ways to lighten my load. So if anyone out there has seen or owns one of these your experience with it would be appreciated, good or bad.

handlebar
06-03-2013, 08:33
My experience has been good. I've probably cooked over 300 meals on my featherfire. It really does simmer when you close the damper.

treesloth
06-03-2013, 10:20
Love mine. I stretched out a 45 minute simmer on 1½ ounces of DA. One thing to keep in mind is that you cannot use this stove in an 'enclosed' windscreen environment, i.e. Caldera Cone. I got mine so hot that it actually heat-deformed the aluminum dampening band around the can. It ended up being ok, I bent it back into shape, but lesson learned.

I'm definitely looking to try some 'trail baking' with its awesome simmering capability.