PDA

View Full Version : section advice?

stradibarrius
06-03-2013, 08:01
This is my first post here. I hope this is the correct area to post this question.
I am going to do an overnight "shake down" hike. I have a lot of AT experience but haven't been backpacking in about 10 years so I want to do something to try out a new pack and check out my fitness level.

The hike will be solo with one car so it will be out and back. I was thinking about doing Unicoi to Tray Mt. but I have hike this section so many times I wanted to do something different.
I had thought about doing Dick's Greek south to Addis.

Thoughts or suggestions?

moldy
06-03-2013, 08:20
Why not hike from Erwin North to Greasy Creek Gap. It about 23 miles. If you call the lady at Greasy Creek Friendly hostel you can arrange a shuttle back to your car.

FarmerChef
06-03-2013, 10:12
Why not hike from Erwin North to Greasy Creek Gap. It about 23 miles. If you call the lady at Greasy Creek Friendly hostel you can arrange a shuttle back to your car.

Welcome to Whiteblaze! :banana

And yes, Connie at the Greasy Creek Friendly can help you with a shuttle if you give her a call.

Any idea how far you'd like to go? There are other good sections down there and possible pick up points.

max patch
06-03-2013, 10:15
Since this is your first trip in 10 years....

How about starting with an easy hike. Springer parking lot to Hawk Mtn Shelter is the easiest section in GA. If you are up to it hike up to Springer on day 2 - pack on your back or in your car your choice.

Nothing wrong with your choice of Dicks although the climb out of the gap will get your attention.