PDA

View Full Version : Bug bivy + tarp? Questions from a newb

Krista
06-03-2013, 17:01
Hi WhiteBlaze!
I’m a newb to long distance backpacking but I am an endurance athlete and I have plenty of experience living in tents for months at a time :p. My plan is to start at Harper’s Ferry on July 1st and hike north until the beginning of Sept. I have 101 questions but my 1st concern is shelter. Keep in mind that my primary concern is $$. As much as light-weight & comfortable would be lovely, I’m brokelicious. :p
Shelter Plan: OR Bug Bivy + tarp. I was told that I could go for a $3 8x10 blue tarp from the Dollar Store. I was told it’s pretty light and just as functional as anything else. Is this true???? Wouldn’t it be hard to pack tightly?
I’d like to spend under $100 on shelter. I can get an OR bug bivy for around $30 used.

Other Qs:
1. Do I need camp shoes? I was planning to bring Old Navy flip flops. My father offered to buy Chacos which are comfy sandals I could use for hiking too. They seem too heavy and bulky to me.
2. My old, nylon raincoat is getting a bit leaky but it’s still functional. Not a big deal if I’m hiking in the summer, right?
3. What sort of container should I carry peanut butter in?
4. I was planning to bring a 4 inch Gerber pocket knife. Do I need a multi-tool instead?
5. Should I bring my waterproof pack cover? Trash bags instead?
6. What type of socks? The smartwools I have seem too heavy for West Virginia in July.
7. I was planning to bring a Merino wool long john top and bottom. Is this necessary?

Thank you WhiteBlaze!! I’m too excited!

Mountain Mike
06-03-2013, 17:14
1) personal preference depending on hiking shoe/boot
2) recoat it or seam seal or buy cheap one from Campmor. Not to much of worry in summer
3) Carry it in container you bought it in
4) knife is larger than what you need unless you carry a watermelon. No multi tool needed.
5) I prefer pack cover & important items in waterproof sacks, some use trash can liners.
6) I use Thor lo & find I like thicker for cushioning. Again, personal preference.
7) Not really for your time frame depending on you sleeping bag, but many people like to have sleeping clothes to keep their bag clean. Lot easier to wash them as opposed to the bag.

FarmerChef
06-03-2013, 17:30
1. Up to you. It's nice to let your dogs out of their shoes at the end of the day. They needn't be complicated or heavy. Flip flops are just fine.
2. Rain protection is still important during the summer. It's not the shower in the middle of the 90 degree day you have to worry about. it's the day of rain with the cold front that dropped temps down into the 50s and 60s where you should be very concerned (and yes, it does happen). Consider a poncho or rain wrap as an alternative to a rain coat. Or, if your raincoat is serviceable and light, patch it up with some duct tape. Won't be stylish but will get the job done. Just be prepared to roast in it while hiking
3. Up to you. I carry PB in the jar it comes in. Easy and light.
4. You'll get lots of responses on here. You do not need a knife, let alone a multitool. However, they can make your life easier. I carry a small Swiss Army Knife. Still haven't used 1/3rd of the gadgets on it and it's not one of the big ones. Mainly you need a blade to cut and that's about it.
5. Pack covers have a tendency to fail. You can read all about it here. Pack liners are easy and easy/cheap to replace if you accidentally tear the bag. I like heavy duty garbage bags. Some use trash compactor bags. Light enough to carry a spare or two until you get to the next town to buy some more.
6. Smartwools are fine. They cool as well as warm. Many here will say that DarnTough socks are the best and I am pretty partial to mine. But I've also hiked with dryfit socks. Whatever you get, make sure it can dry quickly. This is uber important.
7. It depends. You probably won't make the Whites in 2 months from HF. If you do, you might want something warmer. For the Mid-Atlantic, consider a long sleeve shirt and lightweight pants (could be your rain gear or another multi-purpose clothing item) to wear around in camp. Evening's in the 70s and upper 60s can make you chilly if all you have to wear is running shorts and a tech tee.

Oh and

Welcome to Whiteblaze! :banana

Snowleopard
06-03-2013, 18:01
A $3 8'x10' blue poly tarp would work fine. Use nylon mason's twine for guys. There are lighter options. For DIY, you could make a tyvek or silnylon tarp for cheap. For a ground cloth use tyvek or painter's plastic drop cloth or, my favorite, shrink window insulation film ( http://www.amazon.com/Frost-King-V76H-84-Inch-110-Inch/dp/B000AXON8C/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1370296066&sr=1-3&keywords=shrink+window+film )

The OR bug bivy is too heavy and small for my taste. Something like this sea to summit pyramid net tent has a lot more space:
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___83156 or buy some tulle (bridal veil material) from ebay or Joann's fabrics and rig up a bug net yourself.
Bring a headnet.

2. rain coat: you want something reasonably rain proof, especially in the White Mountains (NH). You want to avoid hypothermia in a heavy cold rain with winds above 60mph; this means rain coat and some warm clothes (a cheap fleece jacket for new england and maybe 2 for the White Mountains). Driducks for about $20 are good enough if you're careful.

bigcranky
06-03-2013, 20:12
Thank you WhiteBlaze!! I’m too excited!

1. I like flip flops in the summer.
2. Not a big deal in the summer, no.
3. The plastic jar it comes in.
4. Knife is ok, too large tho. Multitool not needed.
5. I like a pack cover and a liner bag.
6. Very light wool quarter height socks. I like Darn Tough.
7. The long merino base layers will be very useful north of Massachusetts.

Shelter: A Golite poncho tarp should cost under $50. You may be able to find a used Tarptent Contrail for $100 (that would be the best choice.) Or an 8x10 silnylon tarp for $75 or so. Or an SMD Gatewood Cape used for maybe $75 or so. Any of these will be better than the blue tarp, as that will be much heavier and harder to pack. The bug bivy is really small; I didn't like mine and sold it.

Have a great hike!

PD230SOI
06-03-2013, 23:28
Krista,

you have gotten some good answers here, so I will add...

i made my own bug protection and its cheap and effective. Consider a bug net for you head that will drap over a hat and down onto yor chest and a simple bug "tube" with a bulge at one end that will contain your sleeping bag plus in the bulge at the top you stash a few things that will keep the netting off your face. Like maybe your rucksack.

i would make my own tarp if you have the time and minimal skills/equipment.

I will be in Freeport starting in the end of June with my little boys if you want to chat in detail. I'm not a thru hiker but have some exp to share.

have fun!

daddytwosticks
06-04-2013, 07:16
Look at one of those 8X10 silnylon tarps from Campmor. Very light and within your $100 budget (-$30 for bug bivy). :)

Feral Bill
06-04-2013, 12:28
A $3 8'x10' blue poly tarp would work fine. Use nylon mason's twine for guys. There are lighter options. For DIY, you could make a tyvek or silnylon tarp for cheap. For a ground cloth use tyvek or painter's plastic drop cloth or, my favorite, shrink window insulation film ( http://www.amazon.com/Frost-King-V76H-84-Inch-110-Inch/dp/B000AXON8C/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1370296066&sr=1-3&keywords=shrink+window+film )

The OR bug bivy is too heavy and small for my taste. Something like this sea to summit pyramid net tent has a lot more space:
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___83156 or buy some tulle (bridal veil material) from ebay or Joann's fabrics and rig up a bug net yourself.
Bring a headnet.

2. rain coat: you want something reasonably rain proof, especially in the White Mountains (NH). You want to avoid hypothermia in a heavy cold rain with winds above 60mph; this means rain coat and some warm clothes (a cheap fleece jacket for new england and maybe 2 for the White Mountains). Driducks for about $20 are good enough if you're careful.

I use the above bug net and find it very effective. The blue tarp may be noisy, a bit heavy, and hard to pack, but will do the job. I like the braided mason twine better than laid (twisted), bur prefer paracord over either for most things.
Your time based plan makes sense, rather than a distance based goal. Have fun!.

Krista
06-04-2013, 12:44
You guys are amazing!! Thank you!! There are so many bug net and tarp options...I'm overwhelmed. I'm psyched to figure it out.

K