PDA

View Full Version : Norovirus! Creeps! Theft! Getting turned off on the whole idea of a 2014 Thru

Crusinsusan
06-03-2013, 21:22
I'm just totally creeped out by the thought of even walking by a shelter, what with all the deposits left around them, and that is on top of (no pun intended) the other things one would be concerned about (creeps, thieves, etc).

I have to say, bears are waaaaayyyy down on my list now. (And education has put mice waaayyy up on the list, though still behind ol' Noro).

I'm actually thinking of NOT "practicing" on the trail this year for my "supposed" thru next year.

Am I alone? Anyone else thinking "ICK"?

I've heard it's the worst outbreak ever, but it's hard to pish-paw about it. :(

hikerboy57
06-03-2013, 21:36
whats the worst that can happen? the very worst? you get sick for a day?
chances are you'll be just fine

ChinMusic
06-03-2013, 21:36
Norovirus is bad but most recover rather quickly. We don't stop going to work/school during flu season and the flu is much worse. I've caught the flu before while doing everything I could to avoid it. I caught the norovirus while on the trail this year and I was doing everything I could to avoid it. I have no regrets about hiking this year wrt the virus. It's not the Black Death. It's just a temporary, albeit uncomfortable, setback.

I agree that mice are more of an issue than bears. This year dark green Cadillacs were a bigger danger. To me the critter I fear the most is the lowly deer tick, and I am entering ground zero.

Lone Wolf
06-03-2013, 21:41
shelters and privies need to be torn down

hikerboy57
06-03-2013, 21:42
Norovirus is bad but most recover rather quickly. We don't stop going to work/school during flu season and the flu is much worse. I've caught the flu before while doing everything I could to avoid it. I caught the norovirus while on the trail this year and I was doing everything I could to avoid it. I have no regrets about hiking this year wrt the virus. It's not the Black Death. It's just a temporary, albeit uncomfortable, setback.

I agree that mice are more of an issue than bears. This year dark green Cadillacs were a bigger danger. To me the critter I fear the most is the lowly deer tick, and I am entering ground zero.
you're right CM,ticks are out in full force this year, a byproduct of superstorm sandy.much more apt to put an end to ones hike than norovirus, bears or mice.

bfayer
06-03-2013, 21:51
Norovirus! Creeps! Theft!

You just described life in general. The AT is no different than any other place on planet earth with people.

Just like in the rest of the world, don't leave expensive stuff unattended, wash your hands after going to the bathroom and before eating (just like Grandma told you to), and get up early and out hike the creeps (generally speaking, creeps almost always sleep late).

Think about it, if everything you knew about life came from the internet you wouldn't want to step outside because you would worry about being mowed down with a machine gun, hit by a tornado, or audited by the IRS.

Real life is much better in 3D :) So is the trail. Don't worry, go hike!

Crusinsusan
TICKS! Gee, I forgot to list them. Guess I was too busy nursing the horsefly bites from a bike trail I was on yesterday.

Ticks. Thanks. (Though the Doc gave me something for them should they become a concern...and I've got my permethrin.

But guys, come on...it's gross! All sorts of stuff (with the virus in it) coming out of people. Stuff I'm walking by...probably can't even see it anymore, but it's there.

It's just not appealing. Makes for a s**ty trail.

I swear, I'm looking up ratios of bleach to water and wondering how much extra weight I'll be willing to carry....then I find myself saying, "why?", since for me, hiking was all about the beauty, serenity, etc.

I dunno. I just dunno anymore. I'm not even forcing myself to think of all the dang money I spent on gear (lovely to be a noob in this day and age though).

Psychologically, I'm totally turned off.

Don H
I'd be more concerned about ticks and Lyme disease. There you go, something else to worry about!

Crusinsusan
06-03-2013, 21:55
Think about it, if everything you knew about life came from the internet you wouldn't want to step outside because you would worry about being mowed down with a machine gun, hit by a tornado, or audited by the IRS.

Real life is much better in 3D :) So is the trail. Don't worry, go hike!

Oh that's very good. Very good indeed. So true. :)

But some of the 3D stuff as I described above, I don't want to encounter! lol

Still. Good point. The net could turn anyone off.

Crusinsusan
06-03-2013, 22:00
lol @ Don.

Malto
06-03-2013, 22:04
All three of your concern can be solved by not staying in shelters. Problem solved, have a great hike :).

Sarcasm the elf
06-03-2013, 22:09
I'd be more concerned about ticks and Lyme disease. There you go, something else to worry about!

That's one of the only things that you really SHOULD worry about.

bfayer
06-03-2013, 22:17
That's one of the only things that you really SHOULD worry about.

I get more ticks doing yard work than hiking. Should you be concerned? A little. Worry? No.

Mountain Mike
06-03-2013, 22:29
Put up a gear for sale list quick to catch last minute SOBOs or consider hiking PCT or CDT. Are you really worried about getting sick for a day out of many months of enjoyment?

Chair-man
06-03-2013, 22:41
I'm actually thinking of NOT "practicing" on the trail this year for my "supposed" thru next year.

:(

What would be worse than anything is to just stay at home and never experience the trail.
You'll go. You're now just a little more prepared.

HikerMom58
06-03-2013, 22:47
Knowledge is power. It gives you awareness and options. It gives you the power to control the things you can control. So many things are out of our control in life. That's when you have to trust that things will be Okay and just do the best you can to stay safe and healthy.

Don't let fear of what could happen control your life and the enjoyment of it.

I have a great story for ya. My mother-in-law rarely enjoys the outside. She's just not an outdoorsy person. She does like to work in her backyard doing gardening in the evenings. She covers up as to not get sunburned at all & puts on bug repellent etc.. She always washes her hands so she won't get poison ivy, wears long sleeves and gloves.. you get the picture.

Well, a few years ago she went out in her yard and got bit by a deer tick carrying Lyme disease. Yes, my mother-in-law in Lynchburg VA just working in her backyard got Lyme disease.

I think to myself as I'm hiking on the AT or hiking in the woods enjoying myself, I'm not going to worry about everything that could possibly happen. The odds that she would get Lyme and I haven't yet are so astounding to me. I'm going to enjoy life to the fullest, be smart and take what comes my way.

I hope this helps you Crusinsusan. I understand how you feel.

Crusinsusan
06-03-2013, 22:54
Actually, I am thinking of going west instead.

And it's not a day, or three, of sickness (although the thought of being alone in the woods puking [and otherwise] my guts out does suck, but not enough to stop me) that troubles me most.....it's the thought of all those cat holes (or worse, no cat holes).

And I know enough to know that a pro vs. con list wouldn't work for such an endeavor. So for me, it's coming down to whether I can over come the psychology. Prior to the outbreak, I did think about all the (pardon) crap on the trail, and psychologically moved past it. But now it's more at the fore....and more of it.

I mean really, ALL those hikers, and ALL that crap.

And I can do (or I can convince myself I can do - which is enough for me) things about bears (spray), ticks (permethrin), creeps, etc. But there is nothing at all to be done about others crap. So, maybe I'm not cut out for this, if I can't psych myself out of it.

So, does anyone have any words of wisdom regarding this delicate issue? It seems, at first blush, to be a stupid thing, eh? Don't hike because of crap.

But it's a thing for me. And, I bet many people. How do we (or how did you) overcome the yucky part of hiking? Tell me.

Crusinsusan
06-03-2013, 22:56
What would be worse than anything is to just stay at home and never experience the trail.
You'll go. You're now just a little more prepared.

Not so sure, really.....might head west; avoid the wet too.

Crusinsusan
06-03-2013, 22:59
HD, ya, I hear ya. But the responses helped me shake down my thoughts (thanks all for that) to the base essential (lol).

There's just a lot of ....well, you know...out there.

Hmm....guess there would be on all popular trails.

Gonna be a long night I guess.

I do appreciate the comments. They've been helpful.

Rock Lobster
06-03-2013, 23:13
Susan -

1) In over 2000 miles, I have hardly EVER seen another hiker's cathole. It's not all over the place. It just isn't. You will see far, far more moose turds than human...and they don't dig holes.

2) If it's a major hangup for you, go SOBO. There are far fewer people going south, so there is hardly ever a need for a cathole near the trail - the privies are open. By the time you get to Georgia where there were thousands, it will be long washed away.

3) In your first two weeks on the trail, you will almost certainly learn to accept the trail for what it is - and the world in general. How many people said they would never hitchhike, or sleep under the stars, or be able to deal with mice, that now can? The trail is a good place to conquer your fears, and that's a large part of what makes a long hike such a rewarding experience.

Tuckahoe
06-03-2013, 23:37
Come on, pull up the big girl undies and stop being silly. Why are you allowing yourself to get worked up by truly minor trail issues; all the while living the life of a modern American... I mean do you avoid driving? Eating I restaurants? Using public restrooms? Do you really think that you'll escape trail issues by heading out west?... where you'll be exposed to the very same issues that you're trying to escape from.

Actually, I am thinking of going west instead.

And it's not a day, or three, of sickness (although the thought of being alone in the woods puking [and otherwise] my guts out does suck, but not enough to stop me) that troubles me most.....it's the thought of all those cat holes (or worse, no cat holes).

And I know enough to know that a pro vs. con list wouldn't work for such an endeavor. So for me, it's coming down to whether I can over come the psychology. Prior to the outbreak, I did think about all the (pardon) crap on the trail, and psychologically moved past it. But now it's more at the fore....and more of it.

I mean really, ALL those hikers, and ALL that crap.

And I can do (or I can convince myself I can do - which is enough for me) things about bears (spray), ticks (permethrin), creeps, etc. But there is nothing at all to be done about others crap. So, maybe I'm not cut out for this, if I can't psych myself out of it.

So, does anyone have any words of wisdom regarding this delicate issue? It seems, at first blush, to be a stupid thing, eh? Don't hike because of crap.

But it's a thing for me. And, I bet many people. How do we (or how did you) overcome the yucky part of hiking? Tell me.

MuddyWaters
06-04-2013, 00:01
Dont let the idea that something isnt 100% perfect, dissuade you from it.
Regular life isnt 100% perfect either , is it?

Avoid the bubble and shelters, and you will avoid most of what you dont like.

fiddlehead
06-04-2013, 00:04
The world is full of blowdowns and hurdles.
Get over it or stay at home.
Pretty simple.

No place is 100% safe.

Dogwood
06-04-2013, 03:28
Darn right. Pull up your big girl undies. If you're waffling over these rather minor trail issues BEFORE you even hit the trail I say that may not bode well for you completing a thru-hike.

moytoy
06-04-2013, 05:01
I'm just totally creeped out by the thought of even walking by a shelter, what with all the deposits left around them, and that is on top of (no pun intended) the other things one would be concerned about (creeps, thieves, etc).

I have to say, bears are waaaaayyyy down on my list now. (And education has put mice waaayyy up on the list, though still behind ol' Noro).

I see you are in Florida. I'm guessing you don't like mosquitos or the smell of swamp gas or drinking out of ponds either.

Bronk
06-04-2013, 05:32
it's the thought of all those cat holes (or worse, no cat holes).

The only place I remember running into a problem with this was in the smokies...not all of the shelters had a privy and there is so much traffic on the trail there that the designated toilet areas were a minefield...you felt like the cathole you were digging was bound to unearth something that was deposited there very recently, and the telltale scraps of toilet paper were sticking out of the ground everywhere. Though I will say this was over 10 years ago and things may have changed significantly.

The rest of the trail I never saw any evidence of human waste except in the privy.

Don H
06-04-2013, 06:03
I spent almost 6 months on the trail in 2011. The only time I was sick was when I got Lyme in MA. I felt bad for a few days and a 3 weeks of antibiotics solved that.

Back at home in the last 6 months I've had two colds, allergies (which for some reason I don't get on the trail), got in a car accident, and had the Norovirus.

Conclusion, I'm safer on the trail!

Old Hiker
06-04-2013, 06:38
+1 on Bronk two posts up. I just did my business before I hit a shelter (1-2 miles out) or after I left in the A.M. Got off the Trail 100 meters or so and had no problems.

I did watch my step going into and out of a shelter area.

rickb
06-04-2013, 07:07
+1 on Bronk two posts up. I just did my business before I hit a shelter (1-2 miles out) or after I left in the A.M. Got off the Trail 100 meters or so and had no problems. I did watch my step going into and out of a shelter area.

100 Meters?

That would be an AT record for such an activity.

Old Hiker
06-04-2013, 07:18
100 Meters?

That would be an AT record for such an activity.

Can I count that towards my 2000 mile status?? :)

I kept looking back to see if the Trail was visible. If the TRAIL was visible, so was I. It always seemed as if I was alone until I had to............ you know. That's when EVERYONE seemed to show up.

jburgasser
06-04-2013, 07:45
The worst thing you can do is let what you read here influence your feelings about hiking. You can read a lot of negative stuff on whiteblaze, but once you get out on the trail, that stuff goes out the window. At least that has been my experience as a section hiker. Good luck!! Ickybod

coach lou
06-04-2013, 07:50
Come on Icky....there is alot of positive stuff here to, way more positive........the people for one thing.:)

MDSection12
06-04-2013, 07:59
Susan, you may just be realizing it isn't for you... It can't be for everyone. Better to realize that now than on the trail. This site has talked me out of a thru-hike actually. I'd still consider a SOBO if the perfect opportunity came up, but after reading here for a while I don't think I'll ever do a NOBO. I'll use AT section hikes to prepare, but I've decided to do my 'serious' hiking elsewhere. I just don't understand the 'social aspect' of the trail... It's the opposite of what I go into the woods for. To each their own.

Pedaling Fool
06-04-2013, 08:00
Some people just aren't cut out for hiking, at least overnight trips.

Go ahead and go out west, but I think you'll find that there is pretty much the same collateral sh1t out there.

The grass is rarley greener on the other side; it's just different sh1t.

Venchka
06-04-2013, 08:19
Not so sure, really.....might head west; avoid the wet too.
Amen, Sister Susan! The East Coast folks seem to be the loudest proponents of "Grin and bear it" when trying to convince someone to hike the AT.
For me, and only me, HYOH begins with the Rocky Mountains. Mew Mexico, San Juan Mountains of CO, Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, and of course Canada. Word of caution: PORCUPINES.
Just do it. Go somewhere. But do go.

Wayne

MDSection12
06-04-2013, 08:34

Go ahead and go out west, but I think you'll find that there is pretty much the same collateral sh1t out there.

How could you possibly think that? Even in less traveled places in the East like Dolly Sods, WV I see a small fraction of the human influence that I do on the AT. Sure there are catholes somewhere in those types of places, but they're not all deposited just off the same trail, around the same time period, by literally thousands of people every year.

Traffic Jam
06-04-2013, 08:38
It's like reading the side effects on a medication bottle. Yes, all those things could happen but they rarely do. I stay in shelters all the time, as I live very close to the GSMNP and only once have I encountered mice and it really wasn't that bad. Only once, have I come across unburied human feces and I have never felt unsafe at a shelter, even as a woman hiking by myself. What I have encountered? Great and interesting people who I would never have met had I not stayed at a shelter.

Sara
06-04-2013, 08:39
I'm looking forward to the adventure next year. One main reason I want to do it - is for the challenge. ;)
I think you need to experience some bad to truly appreciate the good.

If you still decide to hike, I hope to see you on the trail in 2014!

jburgasser
06-04-2013, 08:41
:)
Come on Icky....there is alot of positive stuff here to, way more positive........the people for one thing.:)
I agree...but I have never while hiking been bitten by another's dog, been told by hiking snobs that my Kelty Trekker is outdated or too heavy, been pooped on by a mouse while in a shelter, encountered other hikers using drugs or drinking heavily, had to share a shelter with drunk locals partying the night away, etc. Maybe I have just been lucky, but I haven't encountered any of the negative stuff we read about on whiteblaze. I love to hike and I love reading posts by most of the folks here on whiteblaze, and I loved the book that Rocketsocks sent me in lieu of my chicken dinner last year at the N.O.C., and I love the simple straight, honest replies by Lone Wolf. I'm just saying: If you go by what you read on Whiteblaze, a lot of folks may never get out there. Hey, maybe that's a good thing! More space for us :) Ickybod

swjohnsey
06-04-2013, 08:41
Lotsa excuses for not hiking the trail. Any one will do.

Pedaling Fool
06-04-2013, 09:12

How could you possibly think that?What are you asking?

I said (paraphrase for simplicity):

1. Some people are not cut out for hiking.
2. Go ahead and go out west, I think you'll find issues out there as well..
3. The grass is rarely greener on the other side of the hill...

Exactly what do you have a problem with:confused:

MDSection12
06-04-2013, 09:24
What are you asking?

I said (paraphrase for simplicity):

1. Some people are not cut out for hiking.
2. Go ahead and go out west, I think you'll find issues out there as well..
3. The grass is rarely greener on the other side of the hill...

Exactly what do you have a problem with:confused:

1. I don't see anything in the OP's post that leads me to believe they aren't cut out for overnight hiking... Seems like they're already doing that.

2. You think the issues that occur on the most traveled long trail in the world are mirrored in the myriad of vastly more remote wilderness areas one can explore out west? That's just silly. I don't think I need to elaborate any further.

3. Sometimes the grass is greener though, and it's unfair of you to tell the OP that just because they don't think the AT is for them that means they aren't cut out for overnight hiking.

Pedaling Fool
06-04-2013, 09:28
1. I don't see anything in the OP's post that leads me to believe they aren't cut out for overnight hiking... Seems like they're already doing that.

2. You think the issues that occur on the most traveled long trail in the world are mirrored in the myriad of vastly more remote wilderness areas one can explore out west? That's just silly. I don't think I need to elaborate any further.

3. Sometimes the grass is greener though, and it's unfair of you to tell the OP that just because they don't think the AT is for them that means they aren't cut out for overnight hiking.Oh, I see the problem. You have a reading comprehension problem. I don't have the time to break it down for you.

MDSection12
06-04-2013, 09:33
Oh, I see the problem. You have a reading comprehension problem. I don't have the time to break it down for you.

I've scored extremely well in reading comprehension many times in the past... Would you care to write up a formal statement so I can amend my file? :rolleyes:

I'd really just like to hear about how the problems that occur on the most traveled long trail in the world can be expected in some of the most remote areas of the country, which can be found out west. :-?

JustADude
06-04-2013, 10:05
To me the critter I fear the most is the lowly deer tick, and I am entering ground zero.

Agreed. I just got my 200 mg does of Doxycycline.

Sailing_Faith
06-04-2013, 10:16
Bagels send more people to the emergency room then any other breakfast item.

Avoid breakfast, and you should be safe!

John B
06-04-2013, 10:28
Bagels? What's the problem with bagels?

Crusinsusan
06-04-2013, 10:30
Well, it's all helpful, and there's some funnies in here...gotta laugh at the porcupine statement.

I like epic adventures, and in the light of morning, I realize that I don't want to cross the AT off my bucket list just yet, so I will at least do day hikes this year, and maybe a few overnights if the days go well.

I wonder if we could vote on this thread as the "Crappiest Thread Ever". :p

Now I'm off to see if anyone has figured out where Noro's tail is, and to research what good can come to the Earth via human, erm, deposits.

Thanks for the comments. (But please, no slinging matches :D

Crusinsusan
06-04-2013, 10:34

I'm guessing anything eaten with the hands is the issue. I'm still trying to get the low-down on which, if any, hand sanitizers are *actually* capable of killing Noro. (Hmmm....spelled like Nero)

Ktaadn
06-04-2013, 10:42

Bagels are dangerous because everyone cuts their hand wide open while trying to slice the bagel in half.

As to the original issue, I think you should avoid shelters or hike somewhere else. No one said the AT was the only place to go.

Sailing_Faith
06-04-2013, 10:52

Bagels are dangerous because everyone cuts their hand wide open while trying to slice the bagel in half.

As to the original issue, I think you should avoid shelters or hike somewhere else. No one said the AT was the only place to go.

Exactly!

Avoid breakfast to keep yourself safe from this danger!

https://www.google.com/search?q=dangers+of+bagels&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

tiptoe
06-04-2013, 11:45
Crusinsusan, instead of reading all the "horror" threads on WB, try for a while to concentrate on the informational ones, or better yet, shut off the computer for a while and just get outside. I just returned from a really nice section hike on the AT in central Virginia, and guess what: no ticks (well, no embedded ticks), no norovirus, no creeps. Just lots of nice folks (hi, ChinMusic), beautiful wildflowers, gorgeous views. The weather was a bit chilly and rainy, but the good experiences more than made up for it. Hiking is among other things a problem-solving activity, and if you exercise good judgment, odds are that you'll be fine. Take a few short hikes to build your confidence that you'll be able to cope with what the trail throws at you.

T.S.Kobzol
06-04-2013, 11:50
I think it would be much better structured as some kind of Disney ride theme park with handholding all the way.

HikerMom58
06-04-2013, 11:59
Crusinsusan, instead of reading all the "horror" threads on WB, try for a while to concentrate on the informational ones, or better yet, shut off the computer for a while and just get outside. I just returned from a really nice section hike on the AT in central Virginia, and guess what: no ticks (well, no embedded ticks), no norovirus, no creeps. Just lots of nice folks (hi, ChinMusic), beautiful wildflowers, gorgeous views. The weather was a bit chilly and rainy, but the good experiences more than made up for it. Hiking is among other things a problem-solving activity, and if you exercise good judgment, odds are that you'll be fine. Take a few short hikes to build your confidence that you'll be able to cope with what the trail throws at you.

Good to know you had a nice hike tiptoe. You met ChinMusic 2. :D Bonus right there.

Bagels are dangerous too... wow, who knew?

T.S.Kobzol
06-04-2013, 12:00
For starters, when someone says: some people ... it does not necessarily mean they are talking about the OP.

I've scored extremely well in reading comprehension many times in the past... Would you care to write up a formal statement so I can amend my file? :rolleyes:

I'd really just like to hear about how the problems that occur on the most traveled long trail in the world can be expected in some of the most remote areas of the country, which can be found out west. :-?

MDSection12
06-04-2013, 12:04
For starters, when someone says: some people ... it does not necessarily mean they are talking about the OP.

Generally when posting in threads we post in relation to the topic being discussed. In this case that topic was the TS's concerns... So his post should be read as it relates to the TS's concerns... Am I missing something? Did I attend the wrong seminar on how to use forums?

HikerMom58
06-04-2013, 12:06

I can see the prob. right away between T.S.Kobzol and MDSection12... it's the smiley faces.. there are NONE! Sorry to interrupt, y'all. :D

MDSection12
06-04-2013, 12:10
Very true HM. Below is my addendum to my previous post. :D

*:D

coach lou
06-04-2013, 12:10
K, you haven't excepted that ambassadorship to North Korea yet, have you! ;)

Crusinsusan
06-04-2013, 12:13
Like Mom said (not HD, but she may have, I dunno): Play nice!

Oh, and

DON'T.
TOUCH.
ANYTHING.

Probably a good rule for the AT!

FWIW, I have never overnight backpacked; I have, however, overnight bike camped and kayak camped...but in much less traveled areas then the foot-highway known as the AT. I do think the AT is more problematic then most other trails due to it's popularity.

But still,

PLAY NICE! :p

(Now I'm off to pick up my new trek cali hardtail 29er all tricked out! lol...so I won't be here to supervise; thus don't be crappy to each other!)

Crusinsusan
06-04-2013, 12:14
Oh, okay....HM is on it. :D

T.S.Kobzol
06-04-2013, 12:21
:bananaI would say the problem might be the attending of seminars.

I can see the prob. right away between T.S.Kobzol and MDSection12... it's the smiley faces.. there are NONE! Sorry to interrupt, y'all. :D

MDSection12
06-04-2013, 12:22
(Now I'm off to pick up my new trek cali hardtail 29er all tricked out! lol...so I won't be here to supervise; thus don't be crappy to each other!)

Awesome! I ride a 2012 Trek X-Caliber 29er. 29 is the only way! :D

T.S.Kobzol
06-04-2013, 12:26
I see what the problem is now. :-) I handed my MTNBike to my kids and picked up a Scott Sub 10 :-)

Awesome! I ride a 2012 Trek X-Caliber 29er. 29 is the only way! :D

Old Hiker
06-04-2013, 12:26
Bagels send more people to the emergency room then any other breakfast item.

Avoid breakfast, and you should be safe!

You'll get my bagel when you pry my cold, dead fingers off it. Besides, bagels don't hurt people, people hurt...........bagels? Whataminute. Somethin' ain't right here. :-?

Sure it's not the KNIVES used to CUT the bagels that send the people to the ER? :confused:

Just askin'. :)

tiptoe
06-04-2013, 12:31
Friends don't let friends eat bagels. OMG. And by the way, on my recent hike I met a hiker (from Florida, no less) who sliced his thigh while cutting an apple to share with his dad. Who knew apples put you at risk?

atmilkman
06-04-2013, 12:33

Nice bike. I used to work for Trek. I ride a Gary Fisher.

MDSection12
06-04-2013, 12:34
I see what the problem is now. :-) I handed my MTNBike to my kids and picked up a Scott Sub 10 :-)
Wow that's a techy ride. Pretty neat. :)

rocketsocks
06-04-2013, 12:49
I wonder if we could vote on this thread as the "Crappiest Thread Ever". :p

Sorry Sue, my "You go boy" thread I'm pretty sure was the worst :D

bfayer
06-04-2013, 12:56
You'll get my bagel when you pry my cold, dead fingers off it. Besides, bagels don't hurt people, people hurt...........bagels? Whataminute. Somethin' ain't right here. :-?

Sure it's not the KNIVES used to CUT the bagels that send the people to the ER? :confused:

Just askin'. :)

Its not the bagel or the knife, its the cream cheese. No cream cheese, no need to cut the bagel.

If we just put forth a common sense effort and ban cream cheese (which no one has a legitimate need for anyway), we could prevent countless needless injuries.

Although mostly symbolic (due to the prevalence of both butter and jelly), it would be a good first step. Remember, no one wants to take away your bagels!

Autummyst
06-04-2013, 13:07
It's normal I think to freak out when you are making a really big life change, and hiking for 4-7 months is a big life change. Just take it day by day. Let yourself have your 'moments' and then move past them. You'll know in your gut if you're made for this or not once all that chatter in your head calms down. I hope to see you out in 2014!!!

Crusinsusan
06-04-2013, 19:37
Sorry Sue, my "You go boy" thread I'm pretty sure was the worst :D

I'll be sure not to go there. (Pun intended)

And if you're not going to use my real name, then please use the preferred substitute: Your Majesty. ;)

Crusinsusan
06-04-2013, 19:40
And on the topic of bagels, why not just bite the bagel and then bite the cream cheese? (I'm an ULer in training!)

It's normal I think to freak out when you are making a really big life change, and hiking for 4-7 months is a big life change. Just take it day by day. Let yourself have your 'moments' and then move past them. You'll know in your gut if you're made for this or not once all that chatter in your head calms down. I hope to see you out in 2014!!!

True dat Aut: pull through the "moments". Good advice.

Crusinsusan
06-04-2013, 19:41
Nice bike. I used to work for Trek. I ride a Gary Fisher.

Aren't all Trek 29ers Gary Fisher's?

atmilkman
06-04-2013, 20:17

I'm not sure. I've been out of the realm for quite some time now. The 29er's were in their 2nd year when I left the business. They were an immediate success. When you search them they get cross referenced. So I think you are right. Super nice stuff. Trek or Fisher. At the time I got employee discount and more bang for my buck with Fisher. Along with an easy payroll deduction plan. Thing about it was I kept it maxed-out with "extras". Lots of titanium. But, I didn't go nut and bolt crazy like some of my fellow workers did.

Slo-go'en
06-04-2013, 21:54
I feel cheated - just back from 6 weeks/500 miles on the trail (Springer to Marion VA) and I didn't get the virus. I stayed in shelters on occasion, used the pivies when available, cooked and ate at the picnic tables, read the registers, stayed at hostels and all that. What I didn't do was shake hands or share food out of a common bag.

The thing that got me was the pollen. Thought I had some kind of wicked head or chest cold until someone gave me some antihistamines. I was so stuffed up I didn't get much sleep for 3 days. Never had that happen to me before. Lots of people suffering from allergies this year, the pollen levels are off the charts.

HikerMom58
06-04-2013, 21:58
I feel cheated - just back from 6 weeks/500 miles on the trail (Springer to Marion VA) and I didn't get the virus. I stayed in shelters on occasion, used the pivies when available, cooked and ate at the picnic tables, read the registers, stayed at hostels and all that. What I didn't do was shake hands or share food out of a common bag.

The thing that got me was the pollen. Thought I had some kind of wicked head or chest cold until someone gave me some antihistamines. I was so stuffed up I didn't get much sleep for 3 days. Never had that happen to me before. Lots of people suffering from allergies this year, the pollen levels are off the charts.

Yay!! Slo-glow'en you are back!! Springer to Marion Va... that's GREAT!! Did you say hi to Cedar Tree in Marion? I'm sorry to hear about your allergies but very thankful you didn't get the "plague". ;)

rocketsocks
06-04-2013, 22:27

The thing that got me was the pollen. Thought I had some kind of wicked head or chest cold until someone gave me some antihistamines. I was so stuffed up I didn't get much sleep for 3 days. Never had that happen to me before. Lots of people suffering from allergies this year, the pollen levels are off the charts.Hey Slo-go'in, welcome back! yep been struggling w/allergies too....bad year! glad you didn't get the virus...or meet any creeps :)

rocketsocks
06-04-2013, 22:29
I'll be sure not to go there. (Pun intended)

And if you're not going to use my real name, then please use the preferred substitute: Your Majesty. ;)Yes your Majesty :)

Slo-go'en
06-04-2013, 22:31
Yay!! Slo-glow'en you are back!! Springer to Marion Va... that's GREAT!! Did you say hi to Cedar Tree in Marion? I'm sorry to hear about your allergies but very thankful you didn't get the "plague". ;)

Didn't know there was a Cedar Tree in Marion - as for the "plague", I belive it is wildly over stated. None of the 40-50 people around me I met got it that I know of. Well, three guys who were hiking together got something, but it wasn't the plague. Sounded more like the result of too much greasy food and beer.

Pendragon
06-04-2013, 22:47
I swore I wouldn't do shelters. Didn't want to sleep nut-to-butt with smelly, snoring hikers. Spent 95% of my hike in shelters. Came down with a head cold for about 4 days. Used Privies. Ate with everybody else (from my own food bag). Used hand sanitizer. Used ear plugs, and never felt the shelter mice scampering over me. And a bear bit my platypus.

You want to avoid the "ickies", I suggest you stay home. Life is one big ickie. Only I enjoyed them a whole lot better between Springer and Damascus. The ickies back here in "real life" are a bunch meaner and nastier.

Hike on!

HikerMom58
06-04-2013, 22:47
Didn't know there was a Cedar Tree in Marion - as for the "plague", I belive it is wildly over stated. None of the 40-50 people around me I met got it that I know of. Well, three guys who were hiking together got something, but it wasn't the plague. Sounded more like the result of too much greasy food and beer.

Cedar Tree invented the Packa. :)
Well, I'm glad that no one was sick around you. You were not in the "bubble" of sickness. It was not over stated. I talked to Violet who was in the middle of the virus outbreak. She observed puke on the ground as far as the eye could see. (her words exactly) B-Rocket said that it wasn't uncommon to see tents just randomly set up along the trail in the middle of the day, everyone knew the tents were the tents of sick hikers 2 weak to hike on. It was really a bad time for a lot of hikers. ChinMusic ended up with it as well. :(

I'm really glad you nor the ones hiking around you got sick. :)

Runsalone
06-05-2013, 08:23

Maybe this. Theyre disgusting usually,and unfortunately theyre also almost always located near a major water source. Nothing like pulling into your planned water stop to see little TP mounds all around. Theres the AT and the theres the AT Social Club. I was sick this year in Roan mountain after the ONE night I spent at a shelter with a privy use. Overmountain Shelter. I let myself be driven into sleeping there by the ice storm. Of course it was really nice to be with all the folks there and we had a great evening drying out and warming up. I stayed in the woods the rest of my trip however. Slept like a baby most nights. Except the 2 that the late night hiking boys crashed my campsite at midnight. I dont even want to get started on that crap. :rolleyes:

MDSection12
06-05-2013, 08:27

I'm not sure. I've been out of the realm for quite some time now. The 29er's were in their 2nd year when I left the business. They were an immediate success. When you search them they get cross referenced. So I think you are right. Super nice stuff. Trek or Fisher. At the time I got employee discount and more bang for my buck with Fisher. Along with an easy payroll deduction plan. Thing about it was I kept it maxed-out with "extras". Lots of titanium. But, I didn't go nut and bolt crazy like some of my fellow workers did.

Trek bought Gary Fisher sometime in the last couple years. They incorporated most of their line into the Trek line, for instance my X-Caliber was formerly a GF model but now it's labeled Trek.

Sly
06-05-2013, 09:05
All three of your concern can be solved by not staying in shelters. Problem solved, have a great hike :).

It may cut down on the chances but none will be solved.

gsingjane
06-05-2013, 09:17
One quick thought about the "squeam" factor - I take girls and women out for backpacking overnights and this is probably their biggest issue with camping. While danger and illness are things people worry about, for some reason especially girls have a real issue around the bathroom and related issues.

I'm not saying it's wonderful, we have running water and modern sanitation for good reasons, but in my experience people's fear around this is greatly over-stated. Once they get out there and get in the swing of things, the fear tends to evaporate and it isn't as bad as they anticipated. Same with the "shower thing"... girls think they'll keel over and die without a morning shower, but then it turns out they didn't and it really isn't that bad.

Also, I would look at it as terrific practice for having babies/young children. If you think you have sanitary phobias on the trail, wait until it's time for diapers!

Jane in CT

The Kisco Kid
06-05-2013, 09:40
The problem as I see it is too much time spent on the internet.

Crusinsusan
06-05-2013, 09:43
It's not just (some of) the females....(some of) the males feel this way too; I bet many guys simply wouldn't go, and so aren't here. And too, I think women are more likely to verbalize this then men. They'd just say: Nah, don't want to hike. (Of course, women say that too; but still, we're communicators!).

Personally, I don't care about missing a shower; a bit of hot water saved over from my coffee water will suffice for me (and has). Lastly, it's the MEGA amounts of the AT crap that's a problem for me...as I've said, I've bike and kayak camped (no showers or privys).

Lastly, I've done (and am done) with the diaper thing, so I feel I can say that your own child's poop is VASTLY different from a strangers lying near your water source or sleep area. (That comment is for the younger women reading here. Just wait until your infant has her/his first poop...you'll call your partner over to view it...swear you will. Not the same at all - though it will wear thin at about 3yrs old.)

And just as an aside, giving birth is a whole lot more painful (about the worst any human can experience), and I personally get tired of people (of all genders) thinking women are wimps. Not saying you are saying that Jane, just chiming in on a recurrent theme. (Inserting smiley face to show good intentions :) , but it needs to be said. I am woman, here me roar.)

Lastly, again, it's the massive poop trail that is a concern. Not the lack of plumbing. Not the lack of showers. But the thousands of 1-2x a day dumps.

It's a valid concern. And I don't poo-poo it.

MDSection12
06-05-2013, 10:11
It's a valid concern. And I don't poo-poo it.

It is a valid concern, but what exactly are you looking for here? I don't mean to be rude but I see two options; get over it, or hike elsewhere. :) (It can't be a rude post with a smiley! :D )

About a year ago I was gung-ho on the AT and really, really wanted to try to make a thru attempt in the next couple years. Since then I've lost interest (both from reading online and from hiking it) and the AT has become simply an easy place for me to do small weekend trips. When I plan longer trips I generally try to go somewhere more remote, like Dolly Sods, WV (my absolute favorite in the mid-Atlantic.) I'm not bashing the AT, it's very special in its own way, but I've just realized that if I'm going to spend $5k+ and 5 months doing something I can get better return for my investment elsewhere. That's just me, and everybody is different, but you sound like you may be in the same boat. :)

ChinMusic
06-05-2013, 10:29
In over 1000 miles I have yet to see human poo or fields of TP.

Trillium
06-05-2013, 10:36
And just as an aside, giving birth is a whole lot more painful (about the worst any human can experience), I don't know you so I don't know what your birth experience was like. But as a generalization, this is such an old wives tale. Please don't keep repeating this and putting frightening thoughts in the heads of young women. Childbirth is NOT incredibly painful for many women. Not saying there isn't some pain and not making any judgments about your birth experience.

This has been a topic of conversation on another board that I frequent (a college sports board) and to a woman, we've all said that KIDNEY STONES trump childbirth in pain a million times over.

Crusinsusan
06-05-2013, 10:36
[QUOTE=MDSection12;1481534]It is a valid concern, but what exactly are you looking for here? I don't mean to be rude but I see two options; get over it, or hike elsewhere. :) (It can't be a rude post with a smiley! :D )

Crap. Well, I suppose that is it really. That's what it comes down to (smiley face and all). I suppose the history of the AT is such a lure for me, and that's what keeps me plugging for it. I just have to choose.

Okay peeps! It's on me now. (So to speak)

Crusinsusan
06-05-2013, 10:41
I don't know you so I don't know what your birth experience was like. But as a generalization, this is such an old wives tale. Please don't keep repeating this and putting frightening thoughts in the heads of young women. Childbirth is NOT incredibly painful for many women. Not saying there isn't some pain and not making any judgments about your birth experience.

This has been a topic of conversation on another board that I frequent (a college sports board) and to a woman, we've all said that KIDNEY STONES trump childbirth in pain a million times over.

Studies have been done on this that would trump individual stories; one such study (from back in my college days), put the level of pain on par with amputation. And while there are some women who experience less pain, most experience it to full tilt. I haven't found a study about kidney stones...perhaps they are on par. Dunno.

MDSection12
06-05-2013, 10:46
Crap. Well, I suppose that is it really. That's what it comes down to (smiley face and all). I suppose the history of the AT is such a lure for me, and that's what keeps me plugging for it. I just have to choose.

Okay peeps! It's on me now. (So to speak)

With that said though, I don't think you should have the expectation that you'll be wading through feces if you do a thru of the AT. Chin, who posted just above, is currently on a thru so I'd consider his experience extremely valid. If he says he hasn't seen poo yet I believe him, and it's important to note that he's already beyond the super-heavily congested time/region in the South.

The poo is out there, for sure... But it's not gonna come after you, just don't go exploring in areas that look convenient for that sort of stop and I'd imagine you'll be fine. For me the issues I have with the trail are more just the people. If I dedicate the time and money to something like this I'll do it for the seclusion and introspection... Not to make a bunch of friends and get drunk in town every three days. Not saying that's what everyone does, but I'm a social creature and I know that if the opportunity was there I'd probably take it. Making new friends is great and all that, but I don't need to drop everything and undertake a fairly monumental task in order to do it. :D

Berserker
06-05-2013, 12:39
Maybe you mention it somewhere, but I'm curious as to your level of backpacking experience. Have you been out a lot?

To me there's a lot more that sucks (there's also a bunch of good stuff, but this thread is about the bad stuff) about the AT than turds. Namely bad weather (days of rain), ticks and mice. Anyway, in general if you are genuinely concerned (i.e. not just joking around on here) about doo doo, then just stay away from the shelters (in particular those lacking privies) and you are not likely to see any. In over 1000 miles of section hiking I have only seen doody concentrated around shelters without privies. Also note that poop breaks down pretty fast due to the generally moist conditions on the East coast.

Now on the flip side, not you feed your paranoia but both myself and my hiking buddy have stepped in turds. I stepped in one behind Watuaga shelter that looked like an elephant had gone there (it was human). My buddy stepped in one in the mine field behind Rufus Morgan shelter, which by the way has no redeeming qualities, and should just be skipped. So if you are around shelters make sure you look where you are stepping.

Cherokee Bill
06-05-2013, 15:47
Maybe you mention it somewhere, but I'm curious as to your level of backpacking experience. Have you been out a lot?

To me there's a lot more that sucks (there's also a bunch of good stuff, but this thread is about the bad stuff) about the AT than turds. Namely bad weather (days of rain), ticks and mice. Anyway, in general if you are genuinely concerned (i.e. not just joking around on here) about doo doo, then just stay away from the shelters (in particular those lacking privies) and you are not likely to see any. In over 1000 miles of section hiking I have only seen doody concentrated around shelters without privies. Also note that poop breaks down pretty fast due to the generally moist conditions on the East coast.

Now on the flip side, not you feed your paranoia but both myself and my hiking buddy have stepped in turds. I stepped in one behind Watuaga shelter that looked like an elephant had gone there (it was human). My buddy stepped in one in the mine field behind Rufus Morgan shelter, which by the way has no redeeming qualities, and should just be skipped. So if you are around shelters make sure you look where you are stepping.

Best response yet! The "poop" problem will not improve any time in the next "X" years! Simply make a decision to avoid shelters and 'if' you have to leave the trail to step into the woods, watch where U STEP ;-)

RCBear
06-05-2013, 17:01

I like that idea just fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Blissful
06-05-2013, 17:21

I saw the TP flowers in GA on my section hike this spring. Maryland gets a lot too.

Blissful
06-05-2013, 17:22
Tenting in your own campsite (where allowed) works fine.

hikerboy57
06-05-2013, 17:34
I saw the TP flowers in GA on my section hike this spring. Maryland gets a lot too.

so did i, but the woods are pretty big, plenty of places to poop.

Runsalone
06-05-2013, 18:38
Tenting in your own campsite (where allowed) works fine.

Hiker after my own heart. Theres nothing like drifting off to sleep on some lonely ridge listening to the wind in the trees do that circular mountain wind thing it does.......Sigh. I miss

Trillium
06-05-2013, 18:43
To tell the truth, I saw no turds and very little tp in Georgia/NC this spring. However, what I saw that annoyed me to no end were plastic tampon applicators. What the H is wrong with women who would leave those laying on the ground not all that far from the trail. I cautiously picked up 2 to properly dispose of them; had to leave several that I didn't have anything handy to pick them up with and put into my trashbag.

Astro
06-05-2013, 19:06

CM, perhaps that is one of the positives of you starting early. Either you were ahead of the bubble and/or the snow was hiding it. :-?

Drybones
06-05-2013, 19:13
The only place I saw Poo and TP was in GSMNP. Starting early helps, especially with snow cover, makes that TP hard to see.

Airman
06-05-2013, 22:10
Rock Lobster, you said it right. I just came off the trail and had no problems with any sickness or anything else. The worse problem was seeing some of the shelters trashed out. I wish some hikers would pick up after themselves.

ChinMusic
06-05-2013, 22:15
I just finished Maryland today....nothing.

trinzushi
06-05-2013, 22:20
Speaking from experience.. I am a germaphobe to an extent (especially since I work in a hospital and see all that nasty stuff) and I was just on the trail for two weeks. ((To give you an idea, I went through over a weeks worth of wetwipes by my second night and ran out of sanitizer by night 4 on my first week)) If you don't want the neurovirus avoid shelters and sanitize after you use a privy. I used the privies for two weeks and did not get sick. I slept in a shelter once, but that was just for the experience and I haven't gotten noro yet.

I started to get over my issues and I am excited for a future through hike. The trail is a great place to get over your problems, phobias, etc. What's the worst that happens? You give yourself two weeks to a month on the trail and decide you don't want to continue? At least you gave it a shot. Avoid shelters!

hikerboy57
06-05-2013, 22:22
you're not looking in the right places.
and stop bragging.

ChinMusic
06-05-2013, 22:26
and stop bragging.
I haven't seen any bears either.

But I have seen bear poo.

hikerboy57
06-05-2013, 22:38
I haven't seen any bears either.

But I have seen bear poo.
dont they practice lnt?

HikerMom58
06-05-2013, 22:41
and stop bragging.

:p..............Rain can do a lot of damage to TP flowers. :D

MuddyWaters
06-05-2013, 23:21
I see poo frequently. Its not always easy to notice, because it doesnt necessarilly look fresh for long, but its generally theres somewhere. Unfortunately, often near water sources because thats where people stop and then decide to do their business while packs off.

Ever notice a bright yellow fungus.

MuddyWaters
06-05-2013, 23:22
I see poo frequently. Its not always easy to notice, because it doesnt necessarilly look fresh for long, but its generally theres somewhere. Unfortunately, often near water sources because thats where people stop and then decide to do their business while packs off.

Ever notice a bright yellow fungus? dont kick it.

HikerMom58
06-05-2013, 23:26

I have noticed a bright yellow fungus...don't kick it?

atmilkman
06-05-2013, 23:34
I have noticed a bright yellow fungus...don't kick it?

And especially don't eat it. It'll make you see things that ain't there.

Kookork
06-06-2013, 00:02

Mine stays fresh for a long time and smell like roses.:D

MDSection12
06-06-2013, 09:09
Congrats! How long did it take you? What'd you think? Obviously I'm biased. :)

Pedaling Fool
06-06-2013, 10:05
Geez, these threads that focus on health sure do get a little crazy and show many people's fears.

You'll gotta look on the bright side of sickness. Once you're well your immune system is stronger. Stop being a bunch of whiny ass babies;)

HikerMom58
06-06-2013, 10:19
I'm sorry Pedaling Fool, did you get sick? I don't know about you but I hate to be sick especially that kind of sick. The winky face doesn't help either. Change the channel if you don't like the news. ( I just got that one from a :cool: person's post) :D

MDSection12
06-06-2013, 10:25
You'll

Hey man, no fence sitting on this issue. Either you're a 'ya'll' kinda guy or a 'you all' kinda guy. 'You'll' is you will. :mad:

:p

Trillium
06-06-2013, 10:51
Hey man, no fence sitting on this issue. Either you're a 'ya'll' kinda guy or a 'you all' kinda guy. 'You'll' is you will. :mad:

:pWhat if you are a "you guys" kind of guy?

MDSection12
06-06-2013, 10:58
What if you are a "you guys" kind of guy?

I'll accept it, if that's what you guys wanna go with. As long as ya'll are consistent with the terms you all use I'm happy. :)

coach lou
06-06-2013, 10:58
What if you are a "you guys" kind of guy?

Just a little farther north..................youz guyz, take a side:D

Pedaling Fool
06-06-2013, 11:46
I'm sorry Pedaling Fool, did you get sick? I don't know about you but I hate to be sick especially that kind of sick. The winky face doesn't help either. Change the channel if you don't like the news. ( I just got that one from a :cool: person's post) :D
Everyone gets sick, well except me;). I don't mind the news, just letting you'll know you're a bunch of whiney babies. :D

:p
What can I say, I'm just a dumb jock:sun:clap

Berserker
06-06-2013, 12:05
The other thing I have not seen addressed in this thread to this point is animal crap. What about that? Are we just worried about human waste or animals too? I have seen magnitudes more animal doo than human, and that can have some nasty bacteria and viruses in it too. So is animal poo a concern :-??

coach lou
06-06-2013, 12:11
Everyone gets sick, well except me;). I don't mind the news, just letting you'll know you're a bunch of whiney babies. :D

And being a squid don't help!:)

HikerMom58
06-06-2013, 12:23

You'll forgot to say- IN MY HUMBLE OPINION (IMHO) I think you're a bunch of whiney babies! ;) :D

Kookork
06-06-2013, 14:40
IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, the practical reasons you may end your hike/thru hike wont be the plethora of POO,Mice,Theft ,illness or things similar but it would be the boredom, mental/physical challenges,wrong attitude/expectations, injuries .

Not every person is made for a thru and not many enjoy doing it but you might never know until you do it.

One might set foot on a pile of poo ( plausible) once or twice during a thru, gets ill once or twice , encounter wild animals but they are not show stoppers in a six months journey for me. For some it might be.

max patch
06-06-2013, 14:46
I'm not ounce weenie, so I always carry Dr Bronner's soap with me.

Wish there was a way to say "I told you so" to everyone who told me I didn't need soap on the trail.

Hmmm...Guess I just did.

HikerMom58
06-06-2013, 14:51
IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, the practical reasons you may end your hike/thru hike wont be the plethora of POO,Mice,Theft ,illness or things similar but it would be the boredom, mental/physical challenges,wrong attitude/expectations, injuries .

Not every person is made for a thru and not many enjoy doing it but you might never know until you do it.

One might set foot on a pile of poo ( plausible) once or twice during a thru, gets ill once or twice , encounter wild animals but they are not show stoppers in a six months journey for me. For some it might be.

Awesome post!! :) There's a guy on here- username is Fudge Foot. I think he found the pile of Poo. :p He had a great attitude about it. I think that's the key.... if bad stuff happens it's how you deal that really matters. It wouldn't be a show stopper for me, if I was really loving it out there. :)

HikerMom58
06-06-2013, 14:52
I'm not ounce weenie, so I always carry Dr Bronner's soap with me.

Wish there was a way to say "I told you so" to everyone who told me I didn't need soap on the trail.

Hmmm...Guess I just did.

Yup you did... :) Sometimes it feels good to say "I told you so". It's OK!! :)

fcoulter
06-06-2013, 15:07
It's not just (some of) the females....(some of) the males feel this way too; I bet many guys simply wouldn't go, and so aren't here. And too, I think women are more likely to verbalize this then men. They'd just say: Nah, don't want to hike. (Of course, women say that too; but still, we're communicators!).

My first daughter was born during my senior year in college. My accounting instructor tried to give me some advice. He told me that when his first child was born, he was presented with that first diaper, and told to change the baby. He passed out. He never had to change a diaper.

Unfortunately, by that time I had already changed diapers several times. Too late for me. I spent a lot of time changing diapers, and wishing my children were potty trained sooner. (In vetro education?)

fcoulter
06-06-2013, 15:13

My urologist says that the pain of kidney stones is comparable to the pain of childbirth. The difference is that at the end of childbirth, you've got a baby and the joy of watching her grow. With a kidney stone, all you get is gravel.

fcoulter
06-06-2013, 15:25

Much of your worries about the AT have to do with the social nature of the trail. The Florida Trail has far fewer hikers and is closer to your home. You might want to try that one, first. There have been no reported cases of pythons or alligators eating hikers on the FT.

(In my dream world, I'll retire in 2025, hike the Florida Trail starting in January; hike a supported pub-to-pub trail through England with my wife when Spring semester ends -- she'll still be working; and start a SOBO AT hike in July. Reality will probably not look so good.)

Kookork
06-06-2013, 17:29
My urologist says that the pain of kidney stones is comparable to the pain of childbirth. The difference is that at the end of childbirth, you've got a baby and the joy of watching her grow. With a kidney stone, all you get is gravel.

In my years of medical experience there were a few patients who experienced both childbirth and kidney stone( including my mom). They mostly said the childbirth experience was less painful and definitely more rewarding( baby Vs Gravel) but in theory I just came upon one article about comparing the most severe pains in medicine.

The article said that the most severe pain a patient may encounter is neither childbirth/kidney stone nor amputation. It is the pain of insulin dependent diabetic patients who can not receive External Insulin . For them it is like all their body is dying at the same time.
I personally experienced kidney stone once and it was not fun to say the least( and I received morphine asap ) then it was fun.!!!

ntfd60
06-06-2013, 22:59
In my years of medical experience there were a few patients who experienced both childbirth and kidney stone( including my mom). They mostly said the childbirth experience was less painful and definitely more rewarding( baby Vs Gravel) but in theory I just came upon one article about comparing the most severe pains in medicine.

The article said that the most severe pain a patient may encounter is neither childbirth/kidney stone nor amputation. It is the pain of insulin dependent diabetic patients who can not receive External Insulin . For them it is like all their body is dying at the same time.
I personally experienced kidney stone once and it was not fun to say the least( and I received morphine asap ) then it was fun.!!!

I think with morphine even a trip with my mother-in-law would be fun.

Drybones
06-07-2013, 08:19
The other thing I have not seen addressed in this thread to this point is animal crap. What about that? Are we just worried about human waste or animals too? I have seen magnitudes more animal doo than human, and that can have some nasty bacteria and viruses in it too. So is animal poo a concern :-??

Inconsiderate bears!

moytoy
06-07-2013, 08:30
I climbed over a fence one time and came down in the snow on hands a feet. Was Licking the snow off my fingers when I noticed a funny taste and brown stuff on my hand. A very mushy cow pile.. I spit for an hour. :D

Sailing_Faith
06-07-2013, 09:57

I am one prone to kidney stones, and they suck. I have heard that men have a harder time with them then women since they have farther to travel.

I try to keep very well hydrated to avoid their development, I have had many stones but having one on the trail would be a really really bad time.

Just one more reason to make sure you don't skimp on carrying water.

scooterdogma
06-07-2013, 18:27
I think with morphine even a trip with my mother-in-law would be fun.

I met my future mother-in-law while in the hospital under the influence of morphine. It was a wonderful experience for me :eek: Can you say motorcycle vs big red truck... I can!

Bronk
06-08-2013, 02:08

Just last week I saw a deer taking a crap without digging a cathole.