PDA

View Full Version : Gear shakedown

Csteward
06-03-2013, 23:05
I'm planning a section hike from Rockfish Gap to Penn/MD line in July. Should be roughly a 2-2.5 week trip. This is what I have so far, and was wondering if you all had any recommendations as far as gear. I'm also thinking of switching my pack out to a Granite Gear Blaze A.C. 60, thoughts?

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=13389

Thanks,

Cody

Ktaadn
06-04-2013, 11:24
I don't think you'll ever need to carry 3L. 5 days worth of food only weighs 3.5 pounds? I would absolutely try to get a lighter backpack. Shoes? Any warm clothing (probably won't need it in July, I guess)? I would recommend a Sawyer Squeeze over the Katadyn filter. Sunglasses.

I would also recommend bringing 2 socks. It's really going to make the other foot happy. I'm sorry. I just to get that line in there.

Csteward
06-04-2013, 13:22
I have Vasque Breeze's for boots, I just didn't list them as I only made a list for stuff going in my pack. I still have to add a few things to my food bag, so it will probably end up around 4-4.5 pounds of food. Not really worried too much about cold weather in the July. And yes, I will be taking sunglasses just haven't decided which yet. Also thanks for the recommendations, I will certainly look into them. My biggest concern with the squeeze is that I'm not sure it's bladder compatible. I don't really want to lug around two- one liter bottles. However, I two 1 liter regular plastic water bottles. What is your recommendation for 5 days of food pounds wise? My biggest lack of food is in the lunch/snack area. I do plan on throwing in a snickers for each day, and a packet of tuna as well. What are your recommendations as far as packs?

Thanks,

Cody

Csteward
06-04-2013, 13:23
Oh, and I listed socks in pairs, so two extra pairs of socks. My bad

BZ853
06-04-2013, 14:13
I eat 3.5 pounds of food a day.

Ktaadn
06-04-2013, 14:30
I have Vasque Breeze's for boots, I just didn't list them as I only made a list for stuff going in my pack. I still have to add a few things to my food bag, so it will probably end up around 4-4.5 pounds of food. Not really worried too much about cold weather in the July. And yes, I will be taking sunglasses just haven't decided which yet. Also thanks for the recommendations, I will certainly look into them. My biggest concern with the squeeze is that I'm not sure it's bladder compatible. I don't really want to lug around two- one liter bottles. However, I two 1 liter regular plastic water bottles. What is your recommendation for 5 days of food pounds wise? My biggest lack of food is in the lunch/snack area. I do plan on throwing in a snickers for each day, and a packet of tuna as well. What are your recommendations as far as packs?

Thanks,

Cody

I only carry the squeeze and the 64oz pouch that it came with. I just drink straight from the filter.

I generally carry about 1.5 pounds of food per day if there aren't any restaurant stops along the way. Lunch on most days would be a couple tortillias with salami or precooked bacon. I used to add cheese and mayo too but I've gotten away from that.

My pack is a Granite Gear Virga. You will find tons of pack recommendations if you just dig around the site though.

Csteward
06-04-2013, 14:51
Ok, sweet! Thank you guys so much for all your help. Yeah, I was thinking I would do a tuna packet and a couple of snacks for lunch, then have two snacks left over for between breakfast and lunch, and between lunch and dinner.

Csteward
06-04-2013, 14:53
So you would highly recommend Granite gear then? I'm just hoping I will like the pack. It seems a lot of people like granite gear's packs.

BuckeyeBill
06-04-2013, 22:16
Check this Hydration Bladder Adaptor (http://www.rei.com/product/858765/sawyer-fast-fill-hydration-pack-adapter-kit)out for the Sawyer Squeeze

Csteward
06-04-2013, 23:20
hmmm... that looks interesting. Thanks buckeye. Perhaps I may make a switch there.

BuckeyeBill
06-04-2013, 23:23
hmmm... that looks interesting. Thanks buckeye. Perhaps I may make a switch there.

No Problem

Ktaadn
06-05-2013, 10:35
So you would highly recommend Granite gear then? I'm just hoping I will like the pack. It seems a lot of people like granite gear's packs.

I love my pack. It is frameless and light. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for that type of pack. I just don't know if that is what you are interested in. I have heard a lot of good things about Granite Gear's other packs and they have won several awards over the years. I would seriously consider any of their packs if I was looking for something.

Csteward
06-05-2013, 10:41
Yeah, I was looking at the Blaze 60, but I'm thinking of going with the Leopard 58. I do like the look of the blaze better, but I'm not sure if their cords are like the normal straps that snap together, or if they are just simple hooks. Unfortunately, no store within 200 miles of me sells them. And I can't tell from the pictures on the web. does anyone know?