PDA

View Full Version : New Rain Tarp from Kammok

leedsig
06-04-2013, 11:54
The new rain tarp system from Kammok link.... check it out!

http://bit.ly/KammokGlider

pelenaka
06-04-2013, 15:13
Brilliant !

1azarus
06-04-2013, 16:03
Not that I'm a hennessy hammock fan, but he marketed this idea years ago...not sure if still available. I think the tarp is way too heavy for a serious hiker. Self-serving first post?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Feral Bill
06-04-2013, 16:20
The hammock in the first picture is going to be a bathtub in any blowing rain., and the brilliant caternary cut looks pretty wrinkly to me. I do like the water collection feature, though.

PookieNC
06-11-2013, 16:45
I think it's a neat concept. I agree it's not light enough to be worthy of lightweight backpacking. However, the overall concept might not have targeted for that market. I saw a TEDTalk from this guy. A little long, but interesting approach. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wfCZYvqVFKM

kidchill
06-12-2013, 20:44
Meh, I guess I don't understand the novelty of it...My superfly or mambjamba (whatever it's called, from warbonnet) is larger, provides more cover, has doors, and is only 19oz. The reflective technology doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I mean, I understand the concept, but if I'm throwing up my tarp and hammock, I'm getting ready to sleep for the night. It kinda makes the reflective part moot. As far as the rain catcher goes, one could easily modify their tarp to catch rain water (I did this while in Maine), and usually, I either camp near a water source, or lug the water to where I want to camp. It seems as though they're marketing it as a survival type scenario device (hence Bear Grylls), but if that's the case, I'd want something lighter. I'm just not sure what niche they're trying to fill...

lilricky
06-15-2013, 15:08
The same guy is going to several outdoor forums posting the same thing. I don't appreciate guerrilla style advertising aka spam.

kayak karl
06-15-2013, 17:19
the weight is way heavy. they are set up at a stream?? water is not an issue after a rain. yes, i know there are extreme circumstances, but??
same design in cuben would be under 10-12 ozs.

Spirit Bear
06-15-2013, 18:17
The tarp looks to small to me, especially if it's a pouring rain or high winds.

I have the Warbonnet Mama Jamba tarp, it's bigger and only weighs 13oz. (Silnylon). I also like the side panels to add support against strong winds.

Here is a bad pick of my setup. FYI I also use the Warbonnet Blackbird hammock.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/181265_10201235400069321_429507929_n.jpg

kayak karl
06-15-2013, 18:23
The tarp looks to small to me, especially if it's a pouring rain or high winds.

I have the Warbonnet Mama Jamba tarp, it's bigger and only weighs 13oz. (Silnylon). I also like the side panels to add support against strong winds.

Here is a bad pick of my setup. FYI I also use the Warbonnet Blackbird hammock.

even a stock HH tarp will keep you dry if you hang it right, but this tarp is all gimmick :)

T.S.Kobzol
06-15-2013, 22:17
I just spent monday and tuesday night in pretty consistent downpours at nickerson state park. I stayed completely dry in my setup but another hammocker had a diamond setup that had more coverage than this kammock tarp and he ended up soaked. I beliege one night with this tarp during rainy weather and all both your quilts are too wet to endure the second night. Youre going home after first night.

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2

kayak karl
06-16-2013, 08:22
I just spent monday and tuesday night in pretty consistent downpours at nickerson state park. I stayed completely dry in my setup but another hammocker had a diamond setup that had more coverage than this kammock tarp and he ended up soaked. I beliege one night with this tarp during rainy weather and all both your quilts are too wet to endure the second night. Youre going home after first night.

diamond tarps work fine. somebody needs to learn how to hang a tarp :)

T.S.Kobzol
06-16-2013, 11:17
It depends

Shonryu
06-16-2013, 13:01
Ummm this looks way to heavy for backpacking. They need to completely redesign the attachment points and use lighter guidelines etc. I'm curious how much the new material weights. Looks way heavier then a silnylon or Cuban fiber fly. Probably great for car camping but ill stick to my JRB extended hex fly @ 13 ounces.

gravitino
06-18-2013, 21:46
Gimmicky, heavy, probably too expensive, not for me.