PDA

View Full Version : I wish there was a separate forum for slower hikers

DavidNH
06-04-2013, 13:09
Is there, or if there isn't, couldn't we please have a separate forum for this of us who enjoy hiking slow and taking time to smell the roses, enjoy the views, observe wildlife, maybe even commiserate together to make fun of the speed hikers?

DavidNH

BirdBrain
06-04-2013, 13:12
Is there, or if there isn't, couldn't we please have a separate forum for this of us who enjoy hiking slow and taking time to smell the roses, enjoy the views, observe wildlife, maybe even commiserate together to make fun of the speed hikers?

DavidNH

I'm in. I am a slow hiker and like to make fun of people.

daddytwosticks
06-04-2013, 13:13
They have an ultralight forum. How about a forum for heavyweights? :)

rocketsocks
06-04-2013, 13:17
I'm down.......

MDSection12
06-04-2013, 13:18
Maybe some of us are just faster at smelling, enjoying and observing than you are. :p

T.S.Kobzol
06-04-2013, 13:18
I have been the forum's president for many years.

BirdBrain
06-04-2013, 13:19
I have been the forum's president for many years.

Did you like being slow so much that you bought the company?

T.S.Kobzol
06-04-2013, 13:21
I'm a slow twitch muscle fiber :-)

Feral Bill
06-04-2013, 13:24
Our mascot.http://wallpaper.ototrucks.com/medium/11/Box%20Turtle11.jpg

Tipi Walter
06-04-2013, 13:25

We've already been thru this. See--
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?89891-Heavy-Thinking-with-Tipi-Walter&highlight=

The above link is about heavy packs ergo about going slow. The thing is, you can interject your "go slow" policy in every thread presented here on Whiteblaze---just as the fast and light types do on a regular basis. No need for a separate category.

Trillium
06-04-2013, 13:25
I don't want to make fun of anyone; I just want to find some peeps that are slower and hike lower mileage days like me. When I started my thru, just about everyone passed me and I rarely saw the same people each evening. So, to those who are slower and lower mileage:welcome

Trillium
06-04-2013, 13:27
I'm down.......Sorry RS, 22-1/2 miles does NOT qualify you for slower/lower mileage. :p

BirdBrain
06-04-2013, 13:30

I'm down.......

Sorry RS, 22-1/2 miles does NOT qualify you for slower/lower mileage. :p

I think we have an antecedent or misplaced modifier problem here. He may have been referring to weight and not speed.

Astro
06-04-2013, 13:32
I don't want to make fun of anyone; I just want to find some peeps that are slower and hike lower mileage days like me. When I started my thru, just about everyone passed me and I rarely saw the same people each evening. So, to those who are slower and lower mileage:welcome

See different people every evening could be sorta neat.

Tipi Walter
06-04-2013, 13:40

There's an evil tendency for AT backpackers trying to keep up with their "peeps". What's the point? HYOH and all that.

FarmerChef
06-04-2013, 14:17
Our mascot.http://wallpaper.ototrucks.com/medium/11/Box%20Turtle11.jpg

I protest. After all, the tortoise BEAT the hare.

Perhaps you should try a slug, snail or another of the more gooey terrestrial mollusks. ;)

hikerboy57
06-04-2013, 14:37

DavidNH
many of us slower hikers hang out in the cafe.but how fast can you post?

rocketsocks
06-04-2013, 14:57
Sorry RS, 22-1/2 miles does NOT qualify you for slower/lower mileage. :pI can change. I must have been outta my mind. what was I thinking? I'm throttle-in it back to 10 mile days....maybe 6 even.

rocketsocks
06-04-2013, 14:59
I can change. I must have been outta my mind. what was I thinking? I'm throttle-in it back to 10 mile days....maybe 6 even.And this winter I'm taking a page out of Tipi's book, and bringing my 3man dome w/half moon zipper in floor for peeing through...no more gator aid bottle for me. I might even stir up a poker game in there.....cards that is.

Trillium
06-04-2013, 15:23
I can change. I must have been outta my mind. what was I thinking? I'm throttle-in it back to 10 mile days....maybe 6 even.now, you're talking. when do you want to go out again?:banana

Tipi Walter
06-04-2013, 16:02
And this winter I'm taking a page out of Tipi's book, and bringing my 3man dome w/half moon zipper in floor for peeing through...no more gator aid bottle for me. I might even stir up a poker game in there.....cards that is.

Wow, with that kind of luxury you can just squat and release a turtlehead right inside the tent.

cricket71
06-04-2013, 16:15
I'm in I'll even wear pants and carry a heavier pack, or at least a longer kilt...

Feral Bill
06-04-2013, 16:22
I protest. After all, the tortoise BEAT the hare.

Perhaps you should try a slug, snail or another of the more gooey terrestrial mollusks. ;) They're not as cute.

SouthMark
06-04-2013, 16:28
I'm an ultra lighter and I'm also slow. I'm an ultra lighter so I'm actually able to hike and that's all my knees can stand.

Kookork
06-04-2013, 17:09
I think it is a good idea to have a separate forum for slower hikers but with a more positive title like " Pleasure hiking" or something like that.

theoilman
06-04-2013, 17:27
My trail name: Inch worm. But I am a high speed inch worm - at 8 to 9 miles a day.

rocketsocks
06-04-2013, 17:56
I'm in I'll even wear pants and carry a heavier pack, or at least a longer kilt...
So your ditching the loin cloth and sports bra:D

rocketsocks
06-04-2013, 18:02
:D
Wow, with that kind of luxury you can just squat and release a turtlehead right inside the tent.
That hole is so big, I could fit both my legs through it, stealthily visit thy neighbor in the night, and leave a little present on there step off pad.:D

rocketsocks
06-04-2013, 18:06
now, you're talking. when do you want to go out again?:bananaafter the new skin grows back around the bones on my feets

fredmugs
06-04-2013, 18:07
I thought EVERY forum on here was for slower hikers.

hikerboy57
06-04-2013, 18:10
I thought EVERY forum on here was for slower hikers.
im not surprised.
franconia to crawford in a day?

cricket71
06-04-2013, 18:12
come on rocket head up to New England and hike, I'll even get you loin cloth for hiking, it's all the rage up here.

rocketsocks
06-04-2013, 18:14
come on rocket head up to New England and hike, I'll even get you loin cloth for hiking, it's all the rage up here.already told ya...I'm gettin one...maybe two, one for after six collection.

rocketsocks
06-04-2013, 18:15
already told ya...I'm gettin one...maybe two, one for after six collection.
For pullin night guard

fredmugs
06-04-2013, 18:16
im not surprised.
franconia to crawford in a day?

LOL! I'm talking about the "If you hike one more mile than I do then you can't possibly enjoy yourself. HYOH."

Or the Union hikers who never hike after 1500.

Grampie
06-04-2013, 18:20
My question is: How slow do you have to be to be considered a slow hiker?

Tipi Walter
06-04-2013, 18:37

Someone who is content to pull a 20 mile day on occasion and is perfectly happy to move just 3 miles too, and doesn't get bent out of shape to pull a zero day in his tent or 4 or 7 days during a blizzard.

hikerboy57
06-04-2013, 18:37
i like to hike fast, but i also like taking long breaks. my favorite day this spring was 18 miles, and i took 3 one hour breaks.
"hurry up and wait" is my philosophy

Crusinsusan
06-04-2013, 19:22
No, no, not "pleasure hiking"...imagine the arguments about "claiming" that title. How's about "Zen Hiking"?

DavidNH
06-04-2013, 23:13
Seems like my post got moved to the humor forum (even if it isn't). I got some good chuckles.

By the way.. some of my best days on my thru hike were sub 10 mile days! Like hiking three miles from a shelter to the top of Mt Greylock.... arriving at Bascom Lodge by Noon after a 9 am start and just loafing all afternoon and pigging out at supper time!!!

Mayer
06-04-2013, 23:17
Hey what kind of turtle is that? Found one in my yard.

atmilkman
06-04-2013, 23:19

It's a box turtle.

Feral Bill
06-05-2013, 00:04
No need for euphemisms, SLOW PRIDE!

shakey_snake
06-05-2013, 00:54
Who's bringing the backup cooler full of beer along with their regular cooler full of beer?

Astro
06-05-2013, 01:09
i like to hike fast, but i also like taking long breaks. my favorite day this spring was 18 miles, and i took 3 one hour breaks.
"hurry up and wait" is my philosophy

HB, with a philosophy of "hurry up and wait" it sound you might have enjoyed the military. :D

Bronk
06-05-2013, 02:25
Nearly everybody passed me on my thruhike attempt...looking back at my journal I think I realized around Erwin that at the pace I was going I would never make it to Maine before the mountain closed. I made a few attempts to pick up the pace but realized it wouldn't be fun for me to maintain higher mileages on a daily basis. I think I averaged about 7 or 8 miles per day over the 4 months I was out there. I usually hiked about 12 miles a day on the days I hiked, but I took a lot of short days and a lot of zero days so that brought my average down...and most of the zeros were taken on the trail and not in towns. I'd carry 7 days worth of food with me even if the next town was only 30 or 40 miles away.

There were only 3 people that I encountered repeatedly on my hike. One was kind of a hobo and was working his way up the trail...he hiked faster than me but would stay in a town for a week or so trying to find work to earn money for resupply. So he'd pass me and then when he stopped in town I'd pass him. The other two were a couple who towed a car behind their van...they'd tow their car ahead then drive back around and hike back to their car..then they'd drive back and sleep in the van. They slackpacked most of it and only carried packs where the distance was too great for them to hike it in one day. I'm not quite sure why it was taking them so long but I imagine they burned a lot of time driving back and forth. I met these three within the first week of my hike and saw them all within the last week. I don't know if any of them made it all the way.

Most everybody else I met that were thruhiking I met only a time or two. They'd pass me within a day or two and I'd only see them again if they took a zero day. There were a few section hikers that were hiking my pace that I'd see for a week or more.

Cookerhiker
06-05-2013, 08:29
I think it is a good idea to have a separate forum for slower hikers but with a more positive title like " Pleasure hiking" or something like that.

Or how about "Slackpacking" - the original use of the term dating back from the 1980s (maybe early 90s) - to hike at a leisurely, "slackened" pace, almost exactly the kind of hike as Bronk describes below. Check out Post #9 of this old thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?54229-Slowest-Thru-Hike&highlight=coyote).

I wonder how the term became twisted almost 180 degrees.

Nearly everybody passed me on my thruhike attempt...looking back at my journal I think I realized around Erwin that at the pace I was going I would never make it to Maine before the mountain closed. I made a few attempts to pick up the pace but realized it wouldn't be fun for me to maintain higher mileages on a daily basis. I think I averaged about 7 or 8 miles per day over the 4 months I was out there. I usually hiked about 12 miles a day on the days I hiked, but I took a lot of short days and a lot of zero days so that brought my average down...and most of the zeros were taken on the trail and not in towns. I'd carry 7 days worth of food with me even if the next town was only 30 or 40 miles away.

There were only 3 people that I encountered repeatedly on my hike. One was kind of a hobo and was working his way up the trail...he hiked faster than me but would stay in a town for a week or so trying to find work to earn money for resupply. So he'd pass me and then when he stopped in town I'd pass him. The other two were a couple who towed a car behind their van...they'd tow their car ahead then drive back around and hike back to their car..then they'd drive back and sleep in the van. They slackpacked most of it and only carried packs where the distance was too great for them to hike it in one day. I'm not quite sure why it was taking them so long but I imagine they burned a lot of time driving back and forth. I met these three within the first week of my hike and saw them all within the last week. I don't know if any of them made it all the way.

Most everybody else I met that were thruhiking I met only a time or two. They'd pass me within a day or two and I'd only see them again if they took a zero day. There were a few section hikers that were hiking my pace that I'd see for a week or more.

Sailor (The other one)
06-05-2013, 12:53
http://wallpaper.ototrucks.com/medium/11/Box%20Turtle11.jpg

I remember him. Passed me on my last section hike in GA.

T.S.Kobzol
06-05-2013, 14:41
The oversized backpack is a dead giveaway

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2

atraildreamer
06-05-2013, 14:57
Maybe some of us are just faster at smelling, ...

Fast, or slow, all hikers smell... eventually! :eek: :banana

Feral Bill
06-05-2013, 14:59
Fast, or slow, all hikers smell... eventually! :eek: :banana The people we meet in town smell. We stink.

MDSection12
06-05-2013, 15:14
The people we meet in town smell. We stink.

Noses run, feet smell. :-?

The Greenman
06-05-2013, 15:35
Oh heck, meant to comment on this thread yesterday - guess I'm just too dang slow!

Feral Bill
06-05-2013, 22:39
Oh heck, meant to comment on this thread yesterday - guess I'm just too dang slow!

No such thing, not here anyway.

rocketsocks
06-05-2013, 23:06
Oh heck, meant to comment on this thread yesterday - guess I'm just too dang slow!hey...you can comment twice to make up for it.

rocketsocks
06-05-2013, 23:08
Noses run, feet smell. :-?+1 we may be slow.....but our wit is quick

Teacher & Snacktime
06-05-2013, 23:43

Snacktime and I are uber-slow. We averaged 1 1/4 mph on our MD hike, and that decreased to less than 1mph in CT because of more frequent/steeper climbs and generally more difficult terrain. I figure at our rate, which no amount of training seems to increase, would take us over 10 months to thru-hike.
Add to our pokiness the inability to manage comfortably (or even uncomfortably) more than 5-6 miles with packs. This makes camping at shelters challenging as they're not usually so closely situated.

The point of all this lamenting? Well, I don't want to be in charge of this shebang, but I certainly qualify for VP!

(....oh, and I don't want to make fun of anyone either...except maybe Rocketsocks, and then only in rhyme.)

Kookork
06-05-2013, 23:48
Or how about "Slackpacking" - the original use of the term dating back from the 1980s (maybe early 90s) - to hike at a leisurely, "slackened" pace, almost exactly the kind of hike as Bronk describes below. Check out Post #9 of this old thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?54229-Slowest-Thru-Hike&highlight=coyote).

I wonder how the term became twisted almost 180 degrees.
Slack packing recently has some negative tone to it and some might not slack pack even when they are slow. There should be a nice and solid word for this kind of hiking. leisure hiking? Low mileage hiking? smelling the roses?

Teacher & Snacktime
06-05-2013, 23:51

Thank you, Bronk....I no longer feel so alone.

Teacher & Snacktime
06-05-2013, 23:55
Slack packing recently has some negative tone to it and some might not slack pack even when they are slow. There should be a nice and solid word for this kind of hiking. leisure hiking? Low mileage hiking? smelling the roses?

"Enjoying the Hike" works for me....but the "smelling the roses" has always been my excuse. It is NOT because I'm old and feeble!

Kookork
06-06-2013, 00:05
"Enjoying the Hike" works for me....but the "smelling the roses" has always been my excuse. It is NOT because I'm old and feeble!

Enjoying the hike works for me either but in a way it means that faster hikers are not enjoying their hike which is not really true.

Kookork
06-06-2013, 00:07
I wish left handed hikers had their own forum. :banana

Ktaadn
06-06-2013, 15:20

Where are all of these roses at? All that I see are rocks, poison ivy, and trees.

Teacher & Snacktime
06-06-2013, 15:31
They've been crushed up and added to the silica to make my lovely tinted glasses....besides, no one said you could actually see them, just smell them. Sort of a "silent, but lovely" approach to hiking.

rocketsocks
06-06-2013, 16:04
I wish left handed hikers had their own forum. :banana
I wish underhanded hikers had there own fourm, hehehe :)

theoilman
06-06-2013, 17:32
hey...you can comment twice to make up for it.

But be sure to wait until day after tomorrow.

vamelungeon
06-06-2013, 17:35
Eastern Box Turtle

vamelungeon
06-06-2013, 17:37
I'm a very slow hiker but it's mainly because of my former smoking habit, my arthritic knees and my out of control weight gain (related to quitting smoking). I usually hike alone so it's no big deal.

Swordpen
06-06-2013, 19:14
I'm in. 3-6 miles a day is my speed.

Too much arthritis in my hips (& a hip replacement).

Odd Man Out
06-06-2013, 19:43
Should smart hikers have their own forum too? Oh, I'm sorry. I guess that's not what you meant by "slow". :rolleyes:

coach lou
06-06-2013, 19:54
Where are all of these roses at? All that I see are rocks, poison ivy, and trees.

We have a wild 'Briar Rose' here that is almost finished blooming. It has a wonderful smell. It grows in huge hedges, in most locations. The Pale Morning Dun is on the water and should be fished when you smell its fragrance.:sun

max patch
06-06-2013, 20:09
I wish there was a separate forum for slower hikers.

I wish there was a forum for Mensa hikers.

coach lou
06-06-2013, 20:20
Another fat one right over the plate, huh Max?

Teacher & Snacktime
06-06-2013, 21:35
I wish there was a forum for Mensa hikers.

There is....we're here.

Swordpen
06-07-2013, 01:04
There is....we're here.

+1, lol here too.

Another Kevin
06-10-2013, 04:41
My usual hiking speed is 'snail', but if I really pour on the coal I can kick it up to 'tortoise.' So I'm totally in.

Slowpokes are welcome to hike with me any time. If I turn out not to be tail-end Charlie (tail-end Kevin?): (1) I'm mildly surprised, (2) I just wind up spending more time on secret vices like ... photography.

stillatit
06-10-2013, 16:12
I'm in too. 10 mi. a day is fine for me, sometimes less.

susiecruise
06-10-2013, 17:05

When I'm on a slow hike I have long lunch breaks so my feet can dry out, I stop to check out the birds that have been chirping for the past 15 min, and I dig the camera out when the light is just right...time is unimportant, slow hiking is a state of mind

coach lou
06-10-2013, 17:07
When I'm on a slow hike I have long lunch breaks so my feet can dry out, I stop to check out the birds that have been chirping for the past 15 min, and I dig the camera out when the light is just right...time is unimportant, slow hiking is a state of mind

:sun.................................:D

rocketsocks
06-10-2013, 17:15

DavidNHWould you settle for a thread.....:)

if you post it they will come.

TD55
06-10-2013, 17:51
I'm......ah.......um......well......sorta.......um .......you know..........ah.........having...........duh..... .....oh.........you know.........um.........having........ah.......jee z..........like............having...............ah .........well..........hard.............um........ ..a hard............what do ya call it.................oh.............a hard time.............um..........figuring out..............you know...........what this............ah...........what this thread is.........well.........is about.

tawa
06-10-2013, 19:08
Have about a seperate forum for left handed lesbian midgets that enjoy mud wrestling!

hikerboy57
06-10-2013, 19:24
how about a separate forum for naysayers?
dont even think about saying no.

Wise Old Owl
06-10-2013, 20:16
Have about a seperate forum for left handed lesbian midgets that enjoy mud wrestling!

Huh can you settle for short girls?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KAcSoQ0GgI

Rain Man
06-11-2013, 08:35

There are threads for every trail under the sun having nothing to do with the AT, so why not threads for the variety of actual AT hikers? Makes more sense! :D

Rain:sunMan

twilight
06-11-2013, 22:15
Huh can you settle for short girls?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KAcSoQ0GgI

What do you search for on YouTube to find this gem???

Teacher & Snacktime
06-11-2013, 22:20
Noses run, feet smell. :-?

If your nose runs, and your feet smell, you're built upsidedown.

1peanut
06-13-2013, 12:54
I am a slow hiker my son gave me the trail name Turtle because I'm so slow checking out everything around me as I hike. I like reading about everyone's experience thou fast or slow.

WalksInDark
06-13-2013, 15:47
How about a forum for slow old (+60 years of age) hikers (like me). The forum could have a catchy name like: "We can't remember if we ever hiked fast." This could also become the Alzheimer's forum.

rocketsocks
06-13-2013, 15:59
How about a forum for slow old (+60 years of age) hikers (like me). The forum could have a catchy name like: "We can't remember if we ever hiked fast." This could also become the Alzheimer's forum.
just one caveat

Alzhikers

MDSection12
06-13-2013, 16:03
just one caveat

Alzhikers

There are no regulars!

"First time posting here, I think."

:p

rocketsocks
06-13-2013, 16:14
There are no regulars!

"First time posting here, I think."

:pyou sure...

As I was posting in this thread
I met a man who wasn't read
he didn't post again today
I wish I wish he'd go away:D

max patch
06-13-2013, 16:29
I'm not going to read the previous responses so maybe this has already been discussed.

I'm a slow hiker...what is the best tent for me?

I'm a slow hiker...what is the best headlamp for me?

I'm a slow hiker...should I use a water filter?

Don't see the point.

Namtrag
06-13-2013, 16:48
In the meetup group I go backpacking with (the Obsessive Compulsive Backpackers), the slow hikers tend to gravitate to trips where daily mileage is 6-8 miles, and that leaves plenty of time for walking slow, and bs'ing around the campfire. My kind of backpacking!

rocketsocks
06-13-2013, 17:05
In the meetup group I go backpacking with (the Obsessive Compulsive Backpackers), the slow hikers tend to gravitate to trips where daily mileage is 6-8 miles, and that leaves plenty of time for walking slow, and bs'ing around the campfire. My kind of backpacking!I think when you do this type of trip (and make lateral hikes from a base camp if you will, i would) you really get to know and area, my kinda hike too.

Feral Bill
06-13-2013, 17:29
I like to hike like a small child. Check out every flower, bug and rock.

Pedaling Fool
06-13-2013, 19:27
Hey, forget the new forum for Slow Hikers. Instead why don't all you slow f_cks start a new website for Slow Hikers :eek::D

Old Hiker
06-13-2013, 20:11
Hey, forget the new forum for Slow Hikers. Instead why don't all you slow f_cks start a new website for Slow Hikers :eek::D

"slow f_cks". Really? Not even humorous. Since when has profanity become the new humor?

hikerboy57
06-13-2013, 20:15
its called snailplace

Wise Old Owl
06-13-2013, 20:51
What do you search for on YouTube to find this gem???

Uh hmm can I sum it up in one word?..... Talent.

Wise Old Owl
06-13-2013, 20:52
its called snailplace

Someone is going to figure that out over at TP ,,,, and get really upset.

hikerboy57
06-13-2013, 20:56
Someone is going to figure that out over at TP ,,,, and get really upset.
the four of them can discuss it all day long

johnnybgood
06-13-2013, 21:12
the four of them can discuss it all day long

Wow !! That many still posting over there ?

Wise Old Owl
06-13-2013, 21:35
.........ouch.

Teacher & Snacktime
06-26-2013, 16:10
you sure...

As I was posting in this thread
I met a man who wasn't read
he didn't post again today
I wish I wish he'd go away:D

Are you sure you didn't know my mother? Oh wait, she wasn't here again today.

Drybones
06-26-2013, 16:39
Should smart hikers have their own forum too? Oh, I'm sorry. I guess that's not what you meant by "slow". :rolleyes:

There's not enough of'em on this site to make a bakers dozen, let alone a forum.

rocketsocks
06-26-2013, 17:34
Are you sure you didn't know my mother? Oh wait, she wasn't here again today.
I know what you mean. Goin through it my own self.

Nutbrown
06-27-2013, 15:28
My friends and I section each summer for 4 days. We look for perfect places where we can hike 6-10 miles per day and walk up to the b&b on the last day. There is no hurry to scarf breakfast or pack up. When we find a nice spot for lunch, or any one of our 3 snacks, we stop, and sometimes nap. Not being in a hurry is a major draw to hiking. We're leaving for this year's hike on July 4th. Skipping the bluster of the holiday for the peace of the woods. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Theosus
06-28-2013, 15:10

DavidNH

Try being a geocacher with a group of go-fast hikers.... I'm leading a few (non AT hikes) this summer in our area, aimed at cachers. Ive put "we will stop for geocaches along the trail" in the descriptions. Most hikers seem to want to go fast until the next big vista or impressive waterfall. Stopping at a clump of trees to search for tupperware is right out. Of course, there's always the "you guys go ahead, I need to pee. 137 feet west of the trail, under the twisted pine tree" excuse. Even not caching, I've noticed a strong tendency for hikers to go at a pretty good clip and miss things. On my last hike we came across a really neat mushroom-covered tree. Because the main group had gone ahead, the three of us in back got to slow down and look at stuff.

http://theosus1.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/amber-and-the-shroom-tree-medium.jpg

There was a somewhat overweight woman on one of our hikes. She was always lagging behind, we thought maybe because she was out of shape. But when she uploaded her pictures she had some really great shots, things the rest of us completely missed out on. Going 8 miles a day instead of 15 has its rewards. Unless of course, you're trying to get to the car by Sunday night and you're too far away.