PDA

View Full Version : Quarry Gap tp Harpers Ferry

Mandodn8
06-04-2013, 14:43
I'm new to WhiteBlaze and starting here because my surfing of the other subtopics is causing TMI. The answers I need are probably elsewhere but I'm not sure where to go.

My wife and I plan to spend about five easy days on the AT in late June headed southbound to Harpers Ferry. Quarry Gap seems to be a good place to start but we are flexible.

I am looking for info about:
Shuttle service from Harpers Ferry to Quarry Gap
Potable water along the way
Resturants and stores near the route.
Sleeping bag(s)- Our current choices are individual two pound down bags or a double fleece blanket bag with a cover made from two Survive Outdoors Longer Sport Utility Blankets.
Used gear- we be rambling up the Blueridge from the Gulf Coast and are interested in any any suggestions about good places to buy used gear.

Any info or suggestions about other places to go in the forums to find the info will be welcomed.

P.S. Awesome Site!

birchy
06-05-2013, 07:24
Call MT ROSE (aka Terri) at 717 352 2279 for shuttle information

illabelle
06-06-2013, 13:29
Be sure your trip includes the Quarry Gap shelter. It's one of the very best on the entire trail!

FarmerChef
06-06-2013, 13:57
Do you have a copy of the Thru Hiker's Companion or the Guide? Both will give you all the information you are looking for. Additionally, you can purchase trail maps/guides (for just the sections you are hiking) via the ATC's online store or via the PATC (maintainer of the sections you'll be hiking).

Stream water in late June can begin to get sketchy but there is potable water at several points along the way, including Washington Monument State Park, Caledonia St. Park, Pen Mar Park, and Gathland State Park.

Bags in late June in MD. I doubt you'll need em. I use fleece sleeping bag liners that cost about $12 on Amazon. Some nights it's too hot to sleep inside them.
Restaurants and stores: From Caledonia down to Pen Mar you'll be near the towns of Waynesboro and Chambersburg, PA. They have full services there just a quick shuttle away. Caledonia I think has a concessions area you could try and there is a restaurant down the road within walking distance from the trail (across from the entrance to the park). Not good for resupply but good for a meal. That's about it until you hit Harper's Ferry.

And, finally, Welcome to Whiteblaze :welcome

MDSection12
06-06-2013, 14:35
Take a nice shirt and grab lunch at The Old South Mountain Inn just North of Dahlgren Backpacker's Campground (which has a shower if you feel inclined to clean up before eating.) I live just down the road and I consider that place to be top three restaurants in the area. It might be number one, but I have a hard time choosing. :)

I slept on top of my sleeping bag while out on this section last weekend. I was still a little warm. :eek:

Other than that I think your questions have been covered well. :D

MDSection12
06-06-2013, 14:55
Take a nice shirt and grab lunch at The Old South Mountain Inn just North of Dahlgren Backpacker's Campground (which has a shower if you feel inclined to clean up before eating.) I live just down the road and I consider that place to be top three restaurants in the area. It might be number one, but I have a hard time choosing. :)

I slept on top of my sleeping bag while out on this section last weekend. I was still a little warm. :eek:

Other than that I think your questions have been covered well. :D

Mandodn8
06-07-2013, 00:57
Thanks folks for all the help and positive feedback. We are looking foward to the trip. After browsing some of the posts in the forums I am now as eager to to meet fellow travelers on the trail as I am to see the sights!