PDA

View Full Version : Which trails have you set foot on?

MedicineMan
06-17-2005, 23:51
As envisioned by MacKay and Avery the AT was to be (and is in many ways and becoming more so by the day thanks to the AHS) a corridor linking many trail systems, a spine if you will. So I was wondering how many here at WB have hiked on trails that link to the AT. So another poll was born.

neo
06-18-2005, 00:23
i have done part of the pinhoti:cool: neo

Lion King
06-18-2005, 00:54
I cant vote for more then one...

Kerosene
06-18-2005, 04:29
MedicineMan: You may need to recreate the poll using multi-select check boxes instead of radio buttons.

MedicineMan
06-18-2005, 04:53
seems like it would be best to delete it and start over!

Kerosene
06-18-2005, 10:29
Actually, I don't think you can even delete the thread, so you may have to replicate.

It seems like there should be many other connector trails that you could list, but besides skimming all of the guidebooks, I'm not sure how you'd compile an inventory of them. Not all of them were in existence in the '30s either.

Others to consider might be the Long Path in NY, Horseshoe Trail in PA, Coho Trail in NH, and the trail networks in the Presidentials, GSMNP, and around Katahdin. I would only list connector trails longer than say, 20 miles.

Youngblood
06-18-2005, 11:20
Yeah, I think there needs to be a little more figuring on what a connector trail is. I mean is the Pinhoti Trail much different from the Foothills Trail? Neither connect directly to the AT but both connect through other trails. In the southeast, I think MowGli has all of that figured out... maybe he could help out.

MOWGLI
06-18-2005, 12:50
Yeah, I think there needs to be a little more figuring on what a connector trail is. I mean is the Pinhoti Trail much different from the Foothills Trail? Neither connect directly to the AT but both connect through other trails. In the southeast, I think MowGli has all of that figured out... maybe he could help out.

I'm not sure what you're asking Youngblood. My definition of a connecting trail is probably different than the ATCs. They are more concerned about trails that connect directly to the AT, so they don't give much consideration to the Chattooga River Trail, the Georgia Pinhoti, the Foothills Trail, and the Palmetto Trail, all of which are accessible by foot from the AT - via trails connected directly to the AT (like the Bartram & Benton MacKaye trails).

Interesting topic though. I believe the new edition of Backpacker Magaizine (Southeast Edition) lists the Fires Creek Rim Trail and provides GPS coordinates for a hike there. That trail connects to the AT and is accessible via the Chunky Gal Trail. Someday I'll hike it.

Youngblood
06-18-2005, 14:53
Well, I suppose that some adventureous folks might be interested in connector trails that parallels sections of the AT so they would have those options on a long distance hike between the two termini of the AT. Other folks might be interested in loop hikes that include portions of the AT, while others might want to criss cross trails that start in one state and end several states away like the Pinhoti, Benton MacKaye, Duncan Ridge Trail, Appalachian Trail, Bartram Trail, Chattooga Trail, Foothills Trail and Palmetto Trails.

Lots of fun stuff to talk about... it's all good.

In the southern AT you have the Benton MacKaye Trail/Duncan Ridge Trail, the extended Benton MacKaye Trail, the Bartram Trail and several trails in the Smokies that tie together to parallel sections of the AT. (Of course any of these trails that parallel the AT give the option of a loop hike.) I think it would be neat to include as many interesting blue blaze parallel trails as possible on a hike from Springer to Katahdin... dang near anybody can get there just following the white blazes. :)

MedicineMan
06-18-2005, 16:10
well i had a hidden agenda in the poll that is coming out in the replies....just simply to 'expose' the other trails, because underuse can detroy a trail like it can a pair of boots....also to again bring up the Southeast Footrails Iniative (Mowgli can help with exact vernacular)....some of us wont ever get to do a thru and hiking sections of the AT over and over again may get redundant so why not point out that along much of the AT there are many trails that are worthy of a wilderness experience......but in the end sorry i didnt know abou the button options in poll creation

Cookerhiker
07-18-2005, 13:37
My first AT section hike was on the AT/LT from Rt. 30 Manchester to Rt. 9 Bennington in 1977. In the next 4 years, I hiked more of the AT in Vermont, Virginia, and PA and also completed the Long Trail, finishing at the Canadian Border in August, '81. I never sent in any notice to the Green Mountain Club. Maybe this year when I finally finish the AT, I'll also inform the GMC about my '81 LT completion.

SGT Rock
07-18-2005, 13:56
Actually, I don't think you can even delete the thread, so you may have to replicate.

It seems like there should be many other connector trails that you could list, but besides skimming all of the guidebooks, I'm not sure how you'd compile an inventory of them. Not all of them were in existence in the '30s either.

Others to consider might be the Long Path in NY, Horseshoe Trail in PA, Coho Trail in NH, and the trail networks in the Presidentials, GSMNP, and around Katahdin. I would only list connector trails longer than say, 20 miles.
I tried to go in and change the poll to allow more than one vote, but it ismpossible. The only solution is to make a new thread with poll and start over.

Nean
07-18-2005, 14:52
I think we should have a poll on polls:rolleyes: I got to hike the Long Trail north and south-10years apart. LOVED IT each time and would love to do it again someday... and I truely believe that I will. Wouldn't mind having a way to hike the rest of them either! Is there a sponsor out there...

Jaybird
08-15-2005, 13:23
MedicineMan: You may need to recreate the poll using multi-select check boxes instead of radio buttons.

I totally AGREE!

I could've voted for 4 of the trails...BUT, my last selection is the ONLY one you'll see...stinkin' computers! :D

fiddlehead
08-15-2005, 23:22
you forgot the horseshoe trail for one. yes, i too would've voted for more than one. there are so many.

SGT Rock
08-16-2005, 05:36
Yep, there are so many like some of those trails up around Mt Rogers, I forget some of the names but the Virgina Creeper comes to mind- beautiful and a pleasure to walk on. The Pinhoti was an awesome hike because I had the trail practically to myself, and now there is more of it to hike with more extensions planned! I've hiked some of the side trails in the Smokies that lead up to the AT. I've hiked parts of the BMT but still have a lot to go on that one. I've stood on the Bartram Trail - haven't hiked it yet, but it does cover some cool country and I intend to hike it someday.

Skyline
08-30-2005, 09:54
How do you choose more than ONE of the available options? Many of us have hiked three or four of those.

Hammock Hanger
08-30-2005, 09:56
Yeah I see 6 that would get my check...